Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Just watched Night Falls on Manhattan. lol at making Andy Garcia the son of an Irish cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

SubNat posted:

I feel like the Witcher is a series exclusively about terrible goddamn contact lenses.
And then whenever you start to tune it out, they'll have a way-better-looking eye-cgi instead, which of course makes you notice the terrible contacts again once they go over to the next scene.

Or perhaps they just always use contacts, but sometimes actually make them look better in post? I dunno what it is specifically but god is it irritating.

David Tennant's contacts looked really great in Good Omens I thought.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

See, you say that, and then a week after you learn kung fu, they stop and tell you that you got the brain herpes from xxx420W33dlordB0nerHitl3rxxx.

You gotta be careful around Cypher, sometimes he uploads kung fu, sometimes it's a crypto miner.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I'm almost certainly too emotionally invested in such a stupid show but the celebrity helpers are so dumb sometimes in I Can See Your Voice. The premise of the show is that 6 singers lip sync to various songs and some singers are good and others are bad and the contestant has to eliminate the bad ones. The key is that the good singers lip sync to their own singing but everyone is lip syncing.

Every loving episode one of the celebrities says poo poo like 'oh they look so fake!' That's cause it is fake you dumbass, no one is actually singing so just because they're bad at lip syncing doesn't make them a bad singer. I just saw an episode where they eleminated a dude because he looked like a chubby Rick Astley but had a deep voice and his thing was singing sea shanties on tiktok. Apparently no one on the show even knew that that was a real thing. I only knew because I played too much Assassin's Creed but still.

When Nick Lachey was on, he called every singer correctly at least.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Another one from ghost busters afterlife (big ending spoilers ahoy) but it kinda bugged me that Gozer didn't recognize the guys. I mean, from their (gozer, cause gently caress if I know what their pronouns are) perspective, they just got defeated by 4 dudes off a temple, so when they pop back out, EVEN IF IT HAS BEEN 20 YEARS, the challengers are wearing the same uniform, same everything, just older. They even act like they know you. You'd think a god would pay more attention 🤔. Why ask redundant questions and bother to even converse? Just skip ahead to the giant marshmallow dude and bring the pain.

The other is how did the guys who made the temple know that gozer was gonna get their rear end beat at least twice before they popped up at the final carving date? What kinda all powerful god gets their rear end whooped at least 3 times before they potentially get it right?

Yes I am fully aware this is picking the tiniest of nits, but it fits the thread.

I still liked the film :shrug:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My mom has started watching Downton Abbey, and one thing I find funny as gently caress, in this series as well as any show or movie where a male heir is needed is that as soon as a son is born, everyone celebrates and says they are safe now forever...when in DA, in the same season the last heir died in a car wreck, a grown daughter dies in childbirth, and oh, the series starts with the heir dying on the Titanic. So it's clear just HAVING a son born means gently caress all, he actually has to live long enough to sire another son.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i tried to watch the new resident evil but it was "confusing":

theres a scen early one where the prodigal sister returns home by lockpicking her family home. naturally her brother is a cop, & when he catches her he's all pissed off, but they dont really look angry, even kinda smiling in some shots. oh its the movie brother sister thing, its their internal sarcasm or something, but no they stay pissed at each other the whole scene without looking angry at any point. at best they look annoyed for a couple seconds near the end of the scene.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Another one from ghost busters afterlife (big ending spoilers ahoy) but it kinda bugged me that Gozer didn't recognize the guys. I mean, from their (gozer, cause gently caress if I know what their pronouns are) perspective, they just got defeated by 4 dudes off a temple, so when they pop back out, EVEN IF IT HAS BEEN 20 YEARS, the challengers are wearing the same uniform, same everything, just older. They even act like they know you. You'd think a god would pay more attention 🤔. Why ask redundant questions and bother to even converse? Just skip ahead to the giant marshmallow dude and bring the pain.

The other is how did the guys who made the temple know that gozer was gonna get their rear end beat at least twice before they popped up at the final carving date? What kinda all powerful god gets their rear end whooped at least 3 times before they potentially get it right?

Yes I am fully aware this is picking the tiniest of nits, but it fits the thread.

I still liked the film :shrug:

That said, maybe they get summoned constantly throughout the multiverse. Can't keep track of EVERY world you've been summoned to destroy.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

how long would it take you to notice ants making a pattern in the way they walk around more than once?

how long would it take you to notice ants setting up a particle beam pointed in your direction after the first time it happened?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

FFT posted:

how long would it take you to notice ants making a pattern in the way they walk around more than once?

how long would it take you to notice ants setting up a particle beam pointed in your direction after the first time it happened?

If the ants were about as tall and me I’d probably notice them pretty quick

Me 1, Gozer 0

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Cowslips Warren posted:

My mom has started watching Downton Abbey, and one thing I find funny as gently caress, in this series as well as any show or movie where a male heir is needed is that as soon as a son is born, everyone celebrates and says they are safe now forever...when in DA, in the same season the last heir died in a car wreck, a grown daughter dies in childbirth, and oh, the series starts with the heir dying on the Titanic. So it's clear just HAVING a son born means gently caress all, he actually has to live long enough to sire another son.

It's really just a soap opera with a thin layer of costume drama. It's like Ferrero Rocher chocolates, a fancy package on a rather plain product.

My mother loves it, but she never watches it on a streaming service. She watches it on two different TV channels which are airing episodes totally out of sync from another. So you can see one servant being arrested for murder, and you'll have to guess if it's the first or the second time it happens.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Jan 8, 2022

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have very few nits to pick with Ghostbusters: Afterlife. Yeah, it does go more in the Stranger Things, Spielbergian direction than 80s cynicism, but if it had followed the originals beat-for-beat, I don't think it wouldn't have worked today. I think hardcore fans of the original are deluding themselves if they think it would have been better like that.

The above mentioned spoilers don't really bother me, I feel like there are decent in-universe explanations. And prophecies don't always have to make perfect sense, they're mystical and vague for a reason.

I do have one irrational nit to pick, though. Why the fireman's pole to the secret basement? I know it's mostly fan service, a callback to the original, but unlike the others, it seems a little crammed in.

Then again, it could be explained by Egon's nostalgia for the firehouse, or maybe a fond memory of Ray's enthusiasm.

But it does end up being just a hair much of a callback.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

HopperUK posted:

David Tennant's contacts looked really great in Good Omens I thought.

Those were cgi too. He wore real snake eye contacts on set, but they wouldn't stay vertical so they ended up having to cgi them in almost every scene

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

flavor.flv posted:

Those were cgi too. He wore real snake eye contacts on set, but they wouldn't stay vertical so they ended up having to cgi them in almost every scene

Oh? I was watching with commentaries the other day and they mentioned a couple of specific scenes where it was done in a tone that suggested it actually only had to happen now and then, but that's too bad. I hope in that case they're going to let him go without the contacts for season 2 cuz it seems really uncomfortable for the actor if it's not going to work anyway.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Now that I had a night to sleep on it, in Soider-Man: No Way Home Peter asks Dr. Strange to cast a spell so that everybody forgets about Peter Parker. Why didn't he ask for everybody to forget about Spider-Man? He then could come up with a completely new superhero persona.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The Arachobat!

Original character, do not steal.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KozmoNaut posted:

I do have one irrational nit to pick, though. Why the fireman's pole to the secret basement? I know it's mostly fan service, a callback to the original, but unlike the others, it seems a little crammed in.

A whole lot of them seemed a little crammed in, and that was my only problem with the movie. Like, why does the bad guy have to be Gozer again? There's an entire multiverse of villains, why do you have to pick the same one? For that matter, why marshmallow men? I mean, the giant Stay Puft only showed up because Gozer told the GBs to choose the form of the Destructor, and Ray picked Stay Puft. In this one, Gozer's not even active yet, but a random Walmart randomly has its marshmallows coming to life. I don't mind references, but you don't need to keep the same plot points.

One thing that seemed weird to me, and maybe it's just covid sensitizing me to it, but I thought this movie was filmed pre-covid and then just shelved for a while. But watching the movie it seems like it was filmed during covid, because it's just so empty of people.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phanatic posted:

One thing that seemed weird to me, and maybe it's just covid sensitizing me to it, but I thought this movie was filmed pre-covid and then just shelved for a while. But watching the movie it seems like it was filmed during covid, because it's just so empty of people.

That I don't really mind. It's set in bumfuck nowhere and the biggest local employer went out of business years ago. Presumably some of the remaining people are people are out of town too, since it's summer vacation time.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Regarding the references and callbacks, they way I see it, after the original movies, Egon kept digging into the myths surrounding Gozer. Obviously you can't just defeat an ancient Sumerian god that easily, so he moved to Summerville specifically because of Ivo Shandor and the mine, hoping to prevent the prophesized return of Gozer in 2021.

As for the mini Stay-Pufts, they appeared when Vinz Clortho zoomed into the store. I figure it's a remnant of the last time Vinz and Zuul were active, they're wittingly or unwittingly bringing back parts of those events.

Thankfully I have not watched the Despicable Me films and no one I know got on the minions craze, so I don't find the mini Stay-Pufts annoying, just a bit silly and surprisingly gruesome.

And that's about enough spoilers. Watch the movie, everyone :)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

KozmoNaut posted:

, after the original movies, Egon kept digging into the myths surrounding Gozer. Obviously you can't just defeat an ancient Sumerian god that easily, so he moved to Summerville specifically because of Ivo Shandor and the mine, hoping to prevent the prophesized return of Gozer in 2021.

As for the mini Stay-Pufts, they appeared when Vinz Clortho zoomed into the store. I figure it's a remnant of the last time Vinz and Zuul were active, they're wittingly or unwittingly bringing back parts of those events.

Thankfully I have not watched the Despicable Me films and no one I know got on the minions craze, so I don't find the mini Stay-Pufts annoying, just a bit silly and surprisingly gruesome.

Sounds dumb

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Meander: can movies that are just allegories for death/grief or purgatory masquerading as horror movies go away? It was kind of cool at first but it's just lazy now.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I want more horror where the upper class are just literal monsters because that's just realism.

Grief as a monster is really played out.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So society? Because yeah I'm down for that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Everyone should watch Society (1989)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The Witcher? They should call him the kvetcher.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
They Live is really overdue a remake.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Beachcomber posted:

They Live is really overdue a remake.

Yeah, that'd be handled loving perfectly. I'm picturing a slicker, shinier aesthetic; get some big names in there maybe The Rock and Chris Pratt; give them sexier jobs because nobody wants to watch some story about depressing homeless people day labouring! Using Google glasses as the special glasses will really help out with marketing synergy and brand messaging, and we can make the main bad guy a Trump analogue because we want to make They Live but this time it'll have a message about social issues attached to it!

It'll average 1 star on IMDb and gross three hundred million dollars more than the original.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I always confuse They Live with the evil mutant baby movie It Lives. But then I remember that It Lives wasn't a movie, the movie was It's Alive, and the sequel was It Lives Again. And then I am irrationally irritated.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Breetai posted:

Yeah, that'd be handled loving perfectly. I'm picturing a slicker, shinier aesthetic; get some big names in there maybe The Rock and Chris Pratt; give them sexier jobs because nobody wants to watch some story about depressing homeless people day labouring! Using Google glasses as the special glasses will really help out with marketing synergy and brand messaging, and we can make the main bad guy a Trump analogue because we want to make They Live but this time it'll have a message about social issues attached to it!

It'll average 1 star on IMDb and gross three hundred million dollars more than the original.

saved me a job, very good!

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

MariusLecter posted:

The Witcher? They should call him the kvetcher.

Oy, Geralt!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

I always confuse They Live with the evil mutant baby movie It Lives. But then I remember that It Lives wasn't a movie, the movie was It's Alive, and the sequel was It Lives Again. And then I am irrationally irritated.

Also It Follows does not follow on from It in any way.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Also They is not a prequel to They Lives.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

They was pretty dope though. When I watched it 15 years ago or whenever. Holy poo poo I'm old

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Where does Them! fall into all this?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Or any rendition of It, for that matter

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's interesting that there are horror movies called She, They, Them and It, but not one called He.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’m down for a They Live remake but only if Keith David is in it again and really only if they extend the fight scene another fifteen minutes at least.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bussamove posted:

I’m down for a They Live remake but only if Keith David is in it again and really only if they extend the fight scene another fifteen minutes at least.

I'm just picturing it going full DBZ and/or pro wrestling (very thin line there)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also It Follows does not follow on from It in any way.

It Follows would be a prequel not a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

Nah, southern Alberta's just like that.