Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I liked when Robbie’s gi came undone kuz I remember that feel when you’re battling with some kid and after a couple throws your gi is all hosed up and it’s like “let’s loving gooooo” big feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
We wore the helmets and gloves and booties and such of course (tkd in the valley, the very same valley!!) and I got a lot of mileage of spam jabbing the helmet face cage which would easily stun lock opponents. Easy points. Beat this one kids rear end so bad he started crying lol. Hell yea. Cobra Kai

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
When I worked on a newspaper I had a homie who got an adult black belt and he was incredible. Could do big jump kicks and was strong and fast as hell. Whole different deal, adult and kid martial arts. Always admired him. I remember a couple times some senseis would spar and I vividly remember the sound of their gis snapping as they cracked off blows. Also the sound of their exhales and loud strong kiaps. Always loved the sound of the sleeve or pant leg fabric snapping when you threw a powerful blow.

I think it may be a little Epstein with how hard they sexualized tori and I have no idea how old the actress is but lol. That’s the entertainment industry reckon.

That concludes my annual cobra Kai meltdown thank you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Robobot posted:

The first part is a given, but I think that's a great call that it'll be Johnny that uses it (or learns it and decides not to use it, instead honking the nose of Terry Silver).

It'll be the Power Wave

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Smythe posted:

This season was literally so sick and I didn’t know who to root for during the all valley. Insanely badass. I was rooting for tori for the girls obviously but thought she was going to lose due to plot but was subverted like many other things in this insane show. 10/10. The mens final choreo was pretty sick and both of those dudes are jacked as gently caress. I got a green double stripe in middle school never made it to black like a bitch lol but I did take second in a tourney once which is pretty good for a shrimp like me imo. makes me want to get back into martial arts but I’m so old and out of shape. sad poo poo. Anyways cya

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
i got an e dan in soo bahk do at 15 and the phrase "gi snapping" unlocked sense memories in me like the food critic eating the rat chef's bullshit at the end of the movie lmao

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Terry isn’t just about money. He’s already rich. He wants students to be smart and evil, which is why his main teaching scene is rope-a-doping sensei Kreese. He outsmarted him because he knew Robbie couldn’t beat up Kevin.

He also kicks many peoples asses because brutality is an important part of Cobra Kai.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I really like how Terry just swipe away the fact that Karate Kid 3 plot was insane with "it was the 80s, i was sooooooooo full of coke". It works really well (the writers of kk3 were probably on coke)

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I think this season might have been my favorite so far which surprised me because I've really enjoyed the show since the start and I didn't know how long they'd be able to keep it up. Looking forward to seeing where it goes. The build to the double cross was well done and the whole season was a lot of fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
TIG is so much fun, I made a point of watching his entire catalog years ago and he's a joy to watch in everything. He did a "so bad it's good" film cammed Immortals like 25 years ago that I own on DVD.
He's amazing in it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ram dass in hell posted:

i got an e dan in soo bahk do at 15

sounds badass

ram dass in hell posted:

the phrase "gi snapping" unlocked sense memories in me like the food critic eating the rat chef's bullshit at the end of the movie lmao

ya it bubbled up from deep in my mind and brought with it long-lost memories and emotions

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I started watching a Japanese sensei who teaches karate and reacting to the show and he pointed out some interesting stuff. What stuck out to me was he said the Miyagi-do rules were written very well and the first one translates as "There is no first attack in karate" or similar and the second is about mastering the first rule but then the big rock in the dojo's garden is apparently just gibberish.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

I started watching a Japanese sensei who teaches karate and reacting to the show and he pointed out some interesting stuff. What stuck out to me was he said the Miyagi-do rules were written very well and the first one translates as "There is no first attack in karate" or similar and the second is about mastering the first rule but then the big rock in the dojo's garden is apparently just gibberish.

This sounds amazing, got a link?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Dawgstar posted:

I've been watching him too, his insights are super cool to listen to, especially when they go to Okinawa.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

This sounds amazing, got a link?

Here you go! https://youtu.be/eoj7UmfaeK0

He's been doing them in chunks and is now getting down to episode by episode in Season 4.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dawgstar posted:

but then the big rock in the dojo's garden is apparently just gibberish.

No loving way. I thought that was the secret to real winning Karate! Do the bonsai trees do anything or have all of my karate dreams been shattered and movies have lied to me?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The rock being just gibberish fits Daniel's character, where he's a slimy weeaboo who slathers everything he looks at in Orientalism

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
https://twitter.com/the_binp/status/1479647826871267329?t=2EtwUoJoZX9Kln72r3fAeg&s=19

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I want a karate kid 5 that’s set before cobrai Kai featuring a CG Mr.Miyagi.

Also Dr strange shows up and Hillary Swank, Jaden Smith, and Jackie Chan step through portals and help him fight Mike Barnes or something

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Noob Saibot posted:

I want a karate kid 5 that’s set before cobrai Kai featuring a CG Mr.Miyagi.

Also Dr strange shows up and Hillary Swank, Jaden Smith, and Jackie Chan step through portals and help him fight Mike Barnes or something

Old Johnny vs Young Johnny like in The One.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The return of Mike Barnes and he’s just a successful accountant that wants nothing to do with Silver and is in one scene where he laughs Silver out of his office would be great.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I do like how the show is often self-aware. Debate Girl commenting that she's only been training karate for like 6 weeks is pretty meta and a great riff on the whole franchise.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Had no idea the dude that played Mike Barnes has been acting in the same soap opera for 22 years!

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Will Smith cameo!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Will Smith cameo!

Zuh? Where and when? I missed that!

e: lol oh, nevermind

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I wonder if part of the Robby/Hawk arc was having the two dudes who seem to actually be good at stunts/TV martial arts square off in the big final fight instead of the kid who plays Miguel, who is a much better actor but always seemed way less athletic.

Likewise, the Terry Silver sparring vs Robby fight seemed a lot smoother than most of the other fights. Thomas Ian Griffith seems like he's definitely stayed an athletic/martial arts guy (and was more of a martial arts guy to begin with) than the other equally-old leads.

Sam's actress is usually a weak link in a lot of the big fight scenes, but they did a good job in the final fight of having her do a solid, grounded style that made her a lot more interesting. It also made her look like she really outclassed Tory once she figured it out, which made Tory winning with lucky hits and obviously bad ref calls a good twist.

I also liked the Dmitri girlfriend twist. He's goofy looking, but he's tall, now presumably jacked, has a sense of humor, isn't actually afraid to talk to girls, and is smart. Makes sense he would get a lady.

How old are these kids supposed to be now anyway? Juniors? Can we expect a final tournament? I figured Robby and Tory have to be 18 in-universe very soon, it would be weird to have them back for a third All-Valley.

I don't remember the first season as well, but the main other sports we've seen have been basketball, track and field, gymnastics, soccer, and wrestling. So my head-canon is that this is a world where American football was never invented, so "karate" is the main contact sport for American teens.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Sega 32X posted:

I wonder if part of the Robby/Hawk arc was having the two dudes who seem to actually be good at stunts/TV martial arts square off in the big final fight instead of the kid who plays Miguel, who is a much better actor but always seemed way less athletic.

Also, just having an awareness of their audience. Miguel already won, so it's not interesting to see it again. But Hawk is kind of a breakout character, so they embraced it. Glad they did, that was a much cooler choice.

Sega 32X posted:

So my head-canon is that this is a world where American football was never invented, so "karate" is the main contact sport for American teens.

Also, where MMA and UFC don't exist. I've voiced this opinion before, but I'd be surprised if "learning karate" is a thing teens are doing in isolation in 2022. That is, vs. learning a little karate with some Krav Maga techniques and some Jiu Jitsu and Tae Kwon Do and a little Muay Thai.

Source: my wife does martial arts for self-defense, and although it started as mostly Krav Maga she's learned elements of a dozen different disciplines, because apparently that's just how martial arts training is done these days (unless you have some philosophical reason to be doing one rigid discipline, which Daniel does but this gang of misfit teens probably doesn't.)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Sega 32X posted:

Likewise, the Terry Silver sparring vs Robby fight seemed a lot smoother than most of the other fights. Thomas Ian Griffith seems like he's definitely stayed an athletic/martial arts guy (and was more of a martial arts guy to begin with) than the other equally-old leads.

Sam's actress is usually a weak link in a lot of the big fight scenes, but they did a good job in the final fight of having her do a solid, grounded style that made her a lot more interesting. It also made her look like she really outclassed Tory once she figured it out, which made Tory winning with lucky hits and obviously bad ref calls a good twist.

I also liked the Dmitri girlfriend twist. He's goofy looking, but he's tall, now presumably jacked, has a sense of humor, isn't actually afraid to talk to girls, and is smart. Makes sense he would get a lady.

How old are these kids supposed to be now anyway? Juniors? Can we expect a final tournament? I figured Robby and Tory have to be 18 in-universe very soon, it would be weird to have them back for a third All-Valley.

I don't remember the first season as well, but the main other sports we've seen have been basketball, track and field, gymnastics, soccer, and wrestling. So my head-canon is that this is a world where American football was never invented, so "karate" is the main contact sport for American teens.

Amanda mentions in season 1 or 2 that Karate in the Valley in the 80s is like high school football in Texas.

Most of the kids started season 1 at 16 or 15 in the show. I think almost all of them were mentioned as being 16 in season 1 or 2, so most of them wouldn't be able to do the U18 tournament when it comes around again. (Unless they change rules, retcon ages, or add a 18+ tournament). They should be juniors in the current season.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 11, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hawk is a lame nerd

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Spacebump posted:

Most of the kids started season 1 at 16 or 15 in the show. I think almost all of them were mentioned as being 16 in season 1 or 2, so most of them wouldn't be able to do the U18 tournament when it comes around again. (Unless they change rules, retcon ages, or add a 18+ tournament). They should be juniors in the current season.

They'll probably just write around it. Like, Tory will make some offhand remark about turning 18 just after the next All-Valley.

Or, sure, there's an 18-21 CA regional tournament. The biggest deal ever that nobody has mentioned before, much more competitive and important than the All-Valley, with a whole new scope of enemies to defeat. Including the dastardly Okinawa Fists of Orange County, led by corrupted sensei Julie Pierce.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It could be the last season isn’t about the tournament.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Seems like a bribery scandal might bring down the all valley tournament for good.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

lol, can't wait to find out that mr miyagi bribed the judge to let daniel win.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

why else call an illegal kick to the face as a point. obvious cheating. whole system is corrupt. retroactively give johnny his win.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Xealot posted:

They'll probably just write around it. Like, Tory will make some offhand remark about turning 18 just after the next All-Valley.

Or, sure, there's an 18-21 CA regional tournament. The biggest deal ever that nobody has mentioned before, much more competitive and important than the All-Valley, with a whole new scope of enemies to defeat. Including the dastardly Okinawa Fists of Orange County, led by corrupted sensei Julie Pierce.

Silver will bribe the board to move the tournament to a month later, just after her birthday

e: this is not how time works. pretend I said the opposite.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Golden Bee posted:

It could be the last season isn’t about the tournament.

That’s my guess too. Kinda hoping Chozen and Silver get spun off into a series about hostile business take overs as they try to out position each other. Like Succession, but with karate fights.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
They went to prom so I assumed they were seniors but then again we didn't a graduation scene or anything so maybe it was Jr Prom.

Also, I read an interview with the guy that plays Hawk and he said that the actors were in the dark about who would win but heavily implied that he was matched up with RObbie's actor because the two of them were the most physically skilled. He said he was jazzed when he found out he won

I think it was on Screen Rant but I can't find it.

Are we still spoiler tagging ITT?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

BiggerBoat posted:

Are we still spoiler tagging ITT?

SPOIL FIRST
SPOIL HARD
NO MERCY

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

killer crane posted:

why else call an illegal kick to the face as a point. obvious cheating. whole system is corrupt. retroactively give johnny his win.

That kick is clearly legal and Johnny is a sore loser. Otherwise, why did it also work for Miguel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Xealot posted:

Also, where MMA and UFC don't exist.

Miguel namedrops UFC in season 1 :V

The rules seem to have changed though, because in the tournaments in Cobra Kai people are kicking, punching, and elbowing each other in the face all day long