Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Enos Cabell posted:

I want a series where someone like Mike Holmes (who is probably also a tv fraud) goes and points out all the terrible work that was done by home reno shows and fixes it.

This but he has Gordon Ramsay’s demeanor and makes the PO fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
More crapper construction.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Enos Cabell posted:

I want a series where someone like Mike Holmes (who is probably also a tv fraud) goes and points out all the terrible work that was done by home reno shows and fixes it.

I hope he’s not, i love his shows. He has a new one on HGTV now.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

kitten emergency posted:

I hope he’s not, i love his shows. He has a new one on HGTV now.

I hope not too, I also love his shows. Just have a deep distrust of most tv reno personalities now.

For me it would go Silva Bros >>> Mike Holmes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everyone else

e: also, if Tom Silva would agree to be my grandpa that would be cool
e2: I'd accept Norm Abrams as an alternate

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kitten emergency posted:

it seems like even on the same show in the same general location, you see a bunch of different laborers and subcontractors (even when the hosts have a preferred GC who does show up on each episode)

First, shows that are shooting multiple renos at once are going to need multiple subs to keep each job going and on schedule.

Second, a lot of contractors "hire" their labor every morning at 6 AM in a Home Depot parking lot.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Enos Cabell posted:

I've never heard anything negative about the guy, and he was pretty small time for the first few years on Canadian tv (versus stuff like 'we're launching a new primetime show with a ton of advertising and we found two hunky brothers to star!'), so fingers crossed.

Plus the nature of his shows tends to be about educating folks on the right way to do things, not so much on making dream homes with forced drama.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I auditioned for one of those home reno shows. We were selling a house that needed the kitchen to be fixed up before hand and our realtor referred us to the producer who came to film an audition tape. We were told that we may have to pay for some materials (like faucets and appliances, but not lumber or that stuff) but all labor costs were covered by the show.

That was about a decade ago and our budget was only around $10k though.

Enos Cabell posted:

Mike Holmes had a successful, well respected home inspection business before his show. He’s legit.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If anyone has dirt on Mike Holmes just don’t post it. We need him and his overalls.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The Dave posted:

If anyone has dirt on Mike Holmes just don’t post it. We need him and his overalls.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Everyone just watch the Larry Haun framing videos and feel better about the world.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dillbag posted:

Everyone just watch the Larry Haun framing videos and feel better about the world.

Except he’s dead, isn’t he?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Except he’s dead, isn’t he?

Well everyone dies eventually

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

His shows are some of the best, but his schtick is still a little annoying sometimes. "This house built in 1970 doesn't have 2x12 LVL joists, no Schluter system shower and zero sprayfoam anywhere!!! Such shoddy work, we're going to have to rip it down to the foundation and rebuild the entire thing to massively exceed 2020 codes or it's unsafe to live in."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Enos Cabell posted:

I hope not too, I also love his shows. Just have a deep distrust of most tv reno personalities now.

For me it would go Silva Bros >>> Mike Holmes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everyone else

e: also, if Tom Silva would agree to be my grandpa that would be cool
e2: I'd accept Norm Abrams as an alternate

How about Bob Vila?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I will never forgive the Magnolia people for cancelling <i>Saveur</i> and trying to foist off their magazine on me instead. Euch.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

BonerGhost posted:

Well everyone dies eventually

Anecdotal but I sure haven’t yet :colbert:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Motronic posted:

These are not homeowners who are looking for work at a price, they are looking for the most exceptional work they can get at any price. It's really not even the same genre of show.

Tom Silva voice: "The homeowner asked us to turn the attic of this 1830's home into a finished space, and we've got to do a lot here with the insulation for these New England winters. We're going to insulate it to R-55 and add some structural beams in case the home owners decide later to store a collection of gold bars, vintage bank vaults, or two to three African elephants upstairs"

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

kid sinister posted:

More crapper construction.

looks like that rear end bass is made out of one of those awful german poop shelf toilets so if anything it's an improvement.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Dillbag posted:

His book 'A Carpenter's Life as Told by Houses' is also a really good read.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

How about Bob Vila?

He always seemed like he has a hell of a mean streak to me.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Bad Munki posted:

Anecdotal but I sure haven’t yet :colbert:

Oh, just you wait

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Motronic posted:

Second, a lot of contractors "hire" their labor every morning at 6 AM in a Home Depot parking lot.

Which is why I'm glad that i work for a company that doesn't sub if we can avoid it, which is 95% of the time.

Well, let me rephrase that. We have "subcontractors" who are really house crews that quit to work for us as an exclusive 1099 because they'd rather make more money. And deal with their own payroll taxes and legal compliance :allears: Certainly makes entering labor hours easier when im doing it for 4 house crew instead of 10.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Enos Cabell posted:

He always seemed like he has a hell of a mean streak to me.

Can't spell Villain without Vila. :colbert:

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

How about Bob Vila?

Vila has always seemed to be focused primarily on self promotion and marketing his brand.

Speaking of This Old House: I'm hoping Rodger Cook is doing well. The poor guy looked like he was in serious discomfort/pain in his last season on the show.

Norm Abram is no longer listed in the credits so maybe he just retired completely from the show. Though I find it weird there was no big send off for him or even just an simple goodbye like they did for Rodger.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
There's a locally produced syndicated home improvement show that does really good work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Today%27s_Homeowner_with_Danny_Lipford

Of course, he earned a reputation as a good contractor before getting into TV, and isn't just some influencer who thought they could get into contracting for TV. And his contracting company does a ton of work that isn't televised.

Probably a good idea to see if the TV show that wants to remodel your house is a TV show first, or a contractor first, and what their reputation is as a contractor outside their TV work.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I hope Aubry is made whole by Magnolia Network or at least gets a GoFundMe or something.

Absolutely this, I really hope Magnolia makes it right. I never really liked the pair on HGTV, it'd make them look less like opportunistic trash if they took care of this issue that was brought about using their name, and later picked up by them.

Platystemon posted:

This but he has Gordon Ramsay’s demeanor and makes the PO fix it.

:yeshaha:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Enos Cabell posted:

That's the premise of this skit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WZnkyiBG_U

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

drat, I was going to post that video. Biggest offender of home shows ruining people's houses with tacky crap was Monster House, the spinoff of Monster Garage where you had to live in whatever that week's team hacked together. Their version of every white person wanting a tiki bar in their house was to put the giant Olmec head Mr. Burns gave Homer Simpson into someone's living room and make it shoot a fireball into the middle of the room.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cat Hatter posted:

drat, I was going to post that video. Biggest offender of home shows ruining people's houses with tacky crap was Monster House, the spinoff of Monster Garage where you had to live in whatever that week's team hacked together. Their version of every white person wanting a tiki bar in their house was to put the giant Olmec head Mr. Burns gave Homer Simpson into someone's living room and make it shoot a fireball into the middle of the room.

Does their home security system also include a gelatinous cube?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is there an American version of Arga Snickaren where mentally ill people who live in a literal shithouse get yelled at for not being able to install a door properly by a renovator who then renovates their entire home and hugs them?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

:yeshaha:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Are there any more shows like Renovation Realities? It was my favorite. Two people with less knowledge than me (which is already a low bar) and a too-small budget in terms of both money and time embark on a kitchen/bathroom/whatever renovation themselves and film the whole thing.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The Human Cow posted:

Are there any more shows like Renovation Realities? It was my favorite. Two people with less knowledge than me (which is already a low bar) and a too-small budget in terms of both money and time embark on a kitchen/bathroom/whatever renovation themselves and film the whole thing.

Why are you talking about me and my SO as if our life was a reality show?

In my own show, Dumb Previous Owners, it turns out the PO has painted the entire basement (and it's not a very small basement, mind you) with your cheapest brand of white latex paint that doesn't allow the place to dry out at all. We're going to have to strip the entire basement mechanically before the snow melts. I'm actually kinda looking forward to renting the whole kit, donning a space suit and just going to town on the place :getin:

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Let's be honest, I would watch the poo poo out of this.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Development Fails is a solid instagram follow:

https://www.instagram.com/development_fails/

Today I learned about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble_Arch_Mound

It cost London 6 million pounds to build a lovely hill covered by some grass and plants that don't grow well.

They originally wanted it to be, you know, covered with soil, but instead it's just scaffolding and turf. They were charging people 10 pounds to walk up it and look around. That didn't go over so well. Next they're going to be spending more money to remove it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I read an article about it yesterday and apparently the view was SUPER underwhelming. I saw one comment that you could get a better view by just going to an office building a few miles away.

Also some city councilman who was a huge booster is still saying it was all worth the tens of millions of pounds they spent on it because it drove foot traffic during the vital pandemic days. Sure, buddy. People went out of their way to visit that thing to the point that it stimulated the local economy more than just taking that money and giving it to random citizens would have done.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think the mound cost around £6 million (from an article I read yesterday) but lol, 6 months. It's only been open 6 months.

Brits just full of wonderful decisions these past few years.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I thought that maybe it was a recreational structure inside. like a court where kids could play football or some poo poo, and they got really carried away with the green roof concept.

lol, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I’ve accidentally an entire row house, here, and I don’t know what we can do about it.