Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ebikaniaquarium/status/1479582501765283845?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Zetsubou-san posted:

:hfive:

Wordle 203 X/6

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
🟨⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟨🟨🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟨🟩🟨⬛
⬛⬛🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩

:negative:

Next time you should try getting lucky instead:

Wordle 203 2/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

100-125g? So, a normal amount of pasta to eat? Seems right to me. A 500g pack makes 4-5 serves, right? Do American packs say something absurd like 25g 90 ounces or whatever the gently caress you measure pasta by?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Tiggum posted:

100-125g? So, a normal amount of pasta to eat? Seems right to me. A 500g pack makes 4-5 serves, right? Do American packs say something absurd like 25g 90 ounces or whatever the gently caress you measure pasta by?

Barilla suggests 56g.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Tiggum posted:

It also gets hosed up when you get bigger pasta, like this. By weight it makes sense, but imagine serving someone 8 gnocchi.

https://twitter.com/Mapachesghost/status/1479836867264720903?t=69MP0ZuGcxexJHmc-vws_Q&s=19

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Woozie66 posted:

It also gets hosed up when you get bigger pasta, like this. By weight it makes sense, but imagine serving someone 8 gnocchi.

https://twitter.com/Mapachesghost/status/1479836867264720903?t=69MP0ZuGcxexJHmc-vws_Q&s=19

Gnocchi are potatoes not pastas. Serving someone 8 potatoes is a big serve of potatoes.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Inceltown posted:

Gnocchi are potatoes not pastas. Serving someone 8 potatoes is a big serve of potatoes.

bruh if you give me 8 gnocchi and tell me it's a serving i'm gonna punch you and take the rest of your gnocchi

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is gnocchi pasta?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Toaster Beef posted:

Barilla suggests 56g.

is that like a "part of this complete breakfast" type scam where their serving size is based on the pasta being in a teacup next to a mountain of kale and unseasoned kidney beans or something?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
American packages don't have to offer sensible serving sizes, they can make the portion smaller to get calories or salt content to whatever they like. And round down to make calorie or fat free foods if they make the portion small enough.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Skwirl posted:

Is gnocchi pasta?

Yes.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ignite Memories posted:

bruh if you give me 8 gnocchi and tell me it's a serving i'm gonna punch you and take the rest of your gnocchi

I'll knock you the gently caress out with my gnocchi

https://twitter.com/howardgreennews/status/678335549829021696

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fools Infinite posted:

American packages don't have to offer sensible serving sizes, they can make the portion smaller to get calories or salt content to whatever they like. And round down to make calorie or fat free foods if they make the portion small enough.

I loving love it when I grab a sugar packet for my coffee and it brags about being "fat free." No poo poo it's fat free, it's pure sugar.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

is that like a "part of this complete breakfast" type scam where their serving size is based on the pasta being in a teacup next to a mountain of kale and unseasoned kidney beans or something?

As Fools Infinite noted, American food companies make the serving size whatever the gently caress because they know the only number most folks are looking at is the really big 'Calories' number—so you end up with something like "hey these peanuts are only 160 calories per serving, they're practically a health food, go ahead and eat half the tin," where 'half the tin' accounts for like four servings.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Inceltown posted:

I'll knock you the gently caress out with my gnocchi

https://twitter.com/howardgreennews/status/678335549829021696

I spoke prematurely, 8 of those oughta do it

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Inceltown posted:

Do you think one potato makes one gnocchi

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Toaster Beef posted:

As Fools Infinite noted, American food companies make the serving size whatever the gently caress because they know the only number most folks are looking at is the really big 'Calories' number—so you end up with something like "hey these peanuts are only 160 calories per serving, they're practically a health food, go ahead and eat half the tin," where 'half the tin' accounts for like four servings.

The Ur-example of this is tic tacs which advertise themselves as sugar free. The primary ingredient in all tic tacs is sugar. In fact they are 80-90% sugar. But if a single serving of a food contains less than 0.5g sugar it can be advertised as sugar free, so the suggested serving of tic-tacs is one single mint. And thats how you can sell something thats 90% sugar as sugar free.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/lolennui/status/1479861554329706496

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Toaster Beef posted:

I wonder how cool it must be to live in a country where absolutely every single aspect of your life is not filled with lies designed specifically to kill you. It must be rad. Like you watch TV and it's not all shrieking panic between hepatitis pill ads. dang.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/witchernetflix/status/1479490511509639172?s=20

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've noticed American nutrition facts serving sizes are actually super progressive compared to Canadian. I remember the 90s and 00s being serving size anarchy in the US followed by a brief requirement to rationalize a serving size as something someone could be trusted to come to the conclusion naturally. On my visits to Canada, the same serving size anarchy seems to be in play where something in the US in a single serving packet will usually be 1, maybe 2 if they want to be cute, while I've seen ridiculous break downs like 5 servings in a single serve.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SiKboy posted:

The Ur-example of this is tic tacs which advertise themselves as sugar free. The primary ingredient in all tic tacs is sugar. In fact they are 80-90% sugar. But if a single serving of a food contains less than 0.5g sugar it can be advertised as sugar free, so the suggested serving of tic-tacs is one single mint. And thats how you can sell something thats 90% sugar as sugar free.

nah the sugar-free ones are actually sugar-free.

The ones that have sugar list the sugar content as 0g*, with a little footnote that they mean 'less than 0.5 g'. They also include sugar as an ingredient for those as well.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://twitter.com/thejazzemu/status/1479818779844657152?t=DwT6U8qhaLSZP_H_Z0AvFg&s=19

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

A collab between Jazz Emu and Nick Lutsko is what the world deserves, IMO.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/frogandtoadbot/status/1479613152979349506?s=21

:3:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Fools Infinite posted:

My favorite is a bag of chips that say 150 Calories per serving in the nutrition box, then the next box, in slightly smaller text, says how many are in the whole bag and it is 3-4x that amount.

What’s worse is the bag is larger than fun size but not nearly big enough for full size.

Like, bro you think I ain’t gonna eat the whole bag rn? gently caress you.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Toad rules
https://twitter.com/FrogandToadbot/status/1479658427248906244

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I read somewhere once that some serving sizes are intended to be as a side rather than the main part of the meal. No idea how accurate that is, but it could explain like "have 50g of pasta"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In Australia there's a 'per 100g' column for nutrition data, so you can compare like for like.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Lone Badger posted:

In Australia there's a 'per 100g' column for nutrition data, so you can compare like for like.

Which is how it should be done. Just like grocery stores should have to have price per unit of measurement on the tag as well.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Serperoth posted:

I read somewhere once that some serving sizes are intended to be as a side rather than the main part of the meal. No idea how accurate that is, but it could explain like "have 50g of pasta"

Makes sense because pasta is absolutely not a main ingredient for a main dish ever.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Which is how it should be done. Just like grocery stores should have to have price per unit of measurement on the tag as well.

Which they do.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lobok posted:

We have that in Australia too. We're a powerfully stupid country too so if we have it and your country doesn't then just lol.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inceltown posted:

We have that in Australia too. We're a powerfully stupid country too so if we have it and your country doesn't then just lol.

Yep, Canada can be powerfully stupid and backwater when it wants to be. It's only required by Quebec. Some stores do it voluntarily but even when they do it often disappears when things are on sale.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

dialhforhero posted:

Makes sense because pasta is absolutely not a main ingredient for a main dish ever.

Bold of you to sign your own death warrant with the Mafia

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Olanphonia posted:

Bold of you to sign your own death warrant with the Mafia

Pasta is a mere vessel for the sauce. :colbert:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hahaha way to bury the lede!

:nws:

Amazing.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 23:52 on Jan 8, 2022

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Fitzgerald was wrong a lot of the time, but never more so than when he wrote, “There are no second acts in American lives.”

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

dialhforhero posted:

My favorite is a bag of chips that say 150 Calories per serving in the nutrition box, then the next box, in slightly smaller text, says how many are in the whole bag and it is 3-4x that amount.

What’s worse is the bag is larger than fun size but not nearly big enough for full size.

Like, bro you think I ain’t gonna eat the whole bag rn? gently caress you.

Yeah the serving size is one ounce no matter what size the bag is. I'm not sure what's confusing about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Lone Badger posted:

The same laws also make it so you have to put $/100g or $/10g on the price tag on the supermarket shelves.

This leads to some hilarity where you'll get 10mg of Saffron for $14, and then on the price tag it says ($14,000/10g).