Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Owlbear Camus posted:

I don't disagree, but I think you could have the alternate read of it until TK is confirmed in the Wampa den.

If reddit existed in 81 imagine the dorks mad that they're just inventing new force powers that the protagonist automagically learns with no training. :rolleyes:

fuckin marty stus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

site posted:

this is wild. the idea that he was making the admiral think he was being choked has never occured to me, even when i was first seeing it as a kid. tarkin's "release him" always felt pretty definitive that vader was actually doing it

If the idea is true, then he was using the Force to make him think that. So he would have then...stopped doing that, so the Admiral would have stopped thinking he was being choked. So he would have been able to breathe again.

Though, when I was a little kid, I thought Vader had installed something in all of his officer's collars that connected with his glove that let him choke them. I didn't really *get* the Force when I was a little kid.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

thrawn527 posted:

Though, when I was a little kid, I thought Vader had installed something in all of his officer's collars that connected with his glove that let him choke them. I didn't really *get* the Force when I was a little kid.

I am probably not the only kid who thought for a while that stormtroopers were robots. Even though the heroes steal and wear their armor.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Hazo posted:

I don't think this was posted but it's rad as gently caress

That's so cool. Makes me want to pull out my copy of The Illustrated Star Wars Universe. The Tatooine chapter has a whole section on Tusken culture, which is probably pretty problematic, but still, lots of neat Ralph McQuarrie art!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Owlbear Camus posted:

I am probably not the only kid who thought for a while that stormtroopers were robots. Even though the heroes steal and wear their armor.

When the first tv teaser for Star Wars came out I thought Chewbacca was a space werewolf :shobon:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

When the first tv teaser for Star Wars came out I thought Chewbacca was a space werewolf :shobon:

That tracks because it's always a full moon... in space

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Owlbear Camus posted:

That tracks because it's always a full moon... in space

That's no moon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It's true. Think about it: have you ever seen Han Solo and Chewbacca in the same room at the same time...?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It just occurred to me that years of playing and running Star Wars RPGs can cause a lot of fans (me included) to think they know what the gently caress they're talking about when it comes to stupid made-up bullshit in a Galaxy Far Far Away...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RCoCoN4EMk

I wonder if the credits montage concept art lifted entirely from Lawrence of Arabia was too subtle for Bombastic that this is such an incredible revelation. Just some obscure little film and it's a deep cut for Star Wars to make that reference.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

So if the Force is just magic and Superman is resistant to magic, does that mean that Superman can't be attacked by, say, Force lightning?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Superman is weak to magic, but luckily the Force is just a run of the mill energy field focused through blood microbes, so he'd be fine.

It's the Kryptonite lightsaber has to worry about.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The Rancor syke was pretty funny. I could totally imagine some lackey giving Fett a baby Rancor saying how the previous one had pups and they tracked one of them down. Then pull some Grogu on him about it'll take the little guy 500 years to get big like his mommy.

Also, I was admittedly a bit confused about the Tusken in black that trained Boba Fett how to fight. Initially I assumed it was the Chiefs wife but in the prequels we see female tuskens look very distinctly different in clothing. I guess there's the explanation of "there are many tribes of Tuskens" and that group made their women wear space burqas but the group Fett was with were more egalitarian. Though all the same both groups would have lived pretty close geographically.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, the masks are the same among everyone in the tribe, but females seem to still wear similar shoulder coverings to the AOTC tribe:

The female warrior, the chief, and the kid are also the only Tuskens in the tribe to wear red, so I imagine they're probably a family.

Also unrelated to Tuskens, but it's cool to see the game being played in the Sanctuary isn't just Sabacc again, but appears to be a return of Pazaak from KOTOR, with its +/- cards.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Arc Hammer posted:

Force resistance to mind tricks is such a dumb thing that the EU takes too literally. Ben fools the stormtroopers because they're unthinking cogs in the machine. Luke fools Bib Fortuna because he's an rear end kissing yes man who doesn't do anything on his own. He can't fool Jabba because Jabba is a savvy businessman and gangster who needs to be crafty to get where he is.

But instead it's rendered down to Jabba having a high willpower save.

Honestly, a "willpower save" is a fine way to conceptualize it. Storm Troopers are soldiers and necessarily have low willpower, so they are extremely likely to fail the check. That's why Obi-Wan was able to rock it. Luke overestimates himself (a theme of ROTJ) and gets bitten in the rear end.

People are being all "TRAINS!" about the text, but Obi-Wan says it only works on the weak willed. Jabba is not weak willed. That's textually sufficient. If you want to go Prequels (ew) Watto is also not weak willed.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The hutts feud amongst themselves often but have a loooooooooooong history of uniting against anyone that fucks with them and a lot of money and resources to do it with.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Robot Style posted:

Superman is weak to magic, but luckily the Force is just a run of the mill energy field focused through blood microbes, so he'd be fine.

It's the Kryptonite lightsaber has to worry about.

Superman isn't weak to Magic, Magic is just something he's not immune to. :eng101:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Well, "Boba Fett teaches drivers ed to the Sand People" was not something my younger self ever anticipated seeing in Star Wars, yet here we are. I like the suggestion I saw somewhere that Boba teaching the Sand People to collect tribute for passage is why Din was able to cross unmolested by them years later by giving them that other guy's binoculars, kind of a funny touch if so (even likely to be the same tribe or neighbors to Boba's tribe considering he was around to rescue Fennec in that episode). Still have no idea where the "modern day" storyline is going in the show though, I presume the "ask permission to kill the Hutts" thing is to explain why Boba doesn't just gun them down in the street, Black Krrsantan or not.

Robot Style posted:

Also unrelated to Tuskens, but it's cool to see the game being played in the Sanctuary isn't just Sabacc again, but appears to be a return of Pazaak from KOTOR, with its +/- cards.

HOW DID THEY SNEAK THAT IN?! :aaaaa: Man, this show is amazing nerd bait.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
"Can't kill a made man if you aren't a made man" and "can't kill a member of a family (made or not) without permission" are mostly "Goodfellas" inventions but they are part of the modern perception.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Robot Style posted:

The Tusken chief also mentioned that Tatooine used to be green, which was a big plot point from KOTOR. They also reintroduced HK assassin droids in The Mandalorian.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The Mayor's majordomo reminds me a lot of Weyoun from DS9, like the actor is trying to do Jeffrey Coombs

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I am quite curious about the nature of organised crime in Star Wars. What do they trade in? Spice I guess. Weapons as well. Stolen goods? Presumably the Hutts are tolerated by both the Republic and the Empire, maybe because the Hutts kick money up, or perhaps the Hutts maintain some form of order over the Outer Rim meaning the Emoire/Republic don't need to utilise resources policing those places.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Drugs, slaves, guns, prostitution, gambling, rare items, luxury goods, ancient artifacts of great power, trade routes, basic necessities, droids, political favours.

Honestly, given the scope and age of the Star Wars universe, the question is what wouldn't they deal in. The great powers of the Republic and Empire are far away and don't care, that leaves thousands millions of worlds and quadrillions of people having to fend for themselves. Whoever meets that need first gets the money and the power*.

* then the women.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqOBWVxnZDA

Kevin Smith's Fatman Beyond podcast has an interview right at the start with the director of photography. Lots of interesting stuff about the Volume, previsualization and such.

Haven't seen the complete thing yet, so I don't know how it's going to develop, but I'm 15 minutes in and thought I'd share it.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqOBWVxnZDA&t=4982s
Review of the show starts at 01:32:00, in case you're interested.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 8, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dave Syndrome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqOBWVxnZDA

Kevin Smith's Fatman Beyond podcast has an interview right at the start with the director of photography. Lots of interesting stuff about the Volume, previsualization and such.

Haven't seen the complete thing yet, so I don't know how it's going to develop, but I'm 15 minutes in and thought I'd share it.

"We have one practical bantha that's filled with four puppeteers and another four guys with remote controls" (and the others are CGI) that's loving wild lol

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

MadDogMike posted:

HOW DID THEY SNEAK THAT IN?! :aaaaa: Man, this show is amazing nerd bait.

I caught the Lawrence of Arabia, McQaurrie, and Tosche Station references but god dammit I missed this one.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Here's the breakdown by one of my faves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjrLumGuONY

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

You guys are all wrong by the way. Obi-Wan demonstrates TK in ANH when he makes an audible *thunk* that both the stormtroopers and the audience hear.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I thought the Banthas were played by trained elephants dressed in costumes?

Also a hearty LOL at the fact that every time the train whizzed by a Bantha would eat poo poo by an errant blaster bolt. Even though the blasters weren't always lethal towards Tuskens that got hit, one zap was like BAM your Bantha's dead.

It's like the human equivalent of having someones truck get blown up every time a ufo happened to to float past. Maybe hide your ride a little better?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

mdemone posted:

You guys are all wrong by the way. Obi-Wan demonstrates TK in ANH when he makes an audible *thunk* that both the stormtroopers and the audience hear.

He makes the Stormtroopers hear something but just because the audience heard it too, doesn't mean it's diagetic sound anymore than last week Boba was literally fighting a tentacle tree while his armor dematerialiEd and remarieralized. :c00lbutt:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Panfilo posted:

They were, in 1977.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

He makes the Stormtroopers hear something but just because the audience heard it too, doesn't mean it's diagetic sound anymore than last week Boba was literally fighting a tentacle tree while his armor dematerialiEd and remarieralized. :c00lbutt:

I always figured he made some relief valve somewhere pop off. Never even considered the possibility that it was an auditory illusion.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The script for the movie doesn't actually mention Ben's trick at all, only saying that "he deftly slips past all of the troops", so it may have just been something they made up while shooting without thinking too much about it.

Lucas did intend for thefilm to feel like a documentary to help the audience buy into the world, which would mean cutting down on subjective elements of the movie, but stuff like Luke hearing Obi-Wan's voice muddles that a bit as well.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Panfilo posted:

Also a hearty LOL at the fact that every time the train whizzed by a Bantha would eat poo poo by an errant blaster bolt. Even though the blasters weren't always lethal towards Tuskens that got hit, one zap was like BAM your Bantha's dead.

It's like the human equivalent of having someones truck get blown up every time a ufo happened to to float past. Maybe hide your ride a little better?

Pretty sure they were intentionally shooting the Banthas. They’re a bunch of assholes “defending” themselves by shooting the “uncivilized “ natives from the comfort of their armored train moving at speeds the natives could never hope to catch. The best bet the Sand People would have would be taking shots at the train’s engine but presumably (hopefully?) that is armored enough to be resistant to small arms fire at range. Aren’t even any rails on that “train” to destroy.

If they didn’t open their windows to take potshots there would be nearly nothing the Tuskens could do to hurt them. But, no, they gotta get their kicks with some “sport shooting”.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

Foiled again by theory

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Madurai posted:

They were, in 1977.

It puts a terrible strain on the animators’ wrists.

...wait a minute...

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

TK

:colbert:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm shocked and I love to see they managed to sneak pazaak in there. That's outstanding. It's a strange thing to be excited by Star Wars again. Who knew all it would take is high quality writing, production values, and a team that not only has a deep understanding of the setting but clearly loves it.

Because with sequel trilogy when people would say "I love star wars" it seemed to me more like they 're talking more about the earning and market penetration of star wars than anything else.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 8, 2022

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Sequel trilogy was for the I loving Love ScienceStar Wars crowd. These shows are geared more for the nerds making reactors in their garages from material scraped off glow in the dark watch hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Owlbear Camus posted:

It’s certainly possible, but both scenes have a POV character we’re following. We’re with Boba, so we see what Boba sees. In the ANH scene, we’re with Obi-Wan, and the Stormtroopers are minor side characters. Does Obi-Wan hear the fake sound he made in the Stormtrooper’s brains, too?

The far simpler explanation is that he used TK. Especially after ESB comes out and Luke is using it to move a lightsaber and rocks.

In hindsight, that scene would have been cooler if there was no sound, and both Stormtroopers mentioned hearing a sound, showing that Obi-Wan was just loving with their minds again.