Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

VideoGames posted:

FFVIIremake. It was the game. FFVII solidified it, and FFVIII has confirmed it.

I can play and WILL play allll the jRPGs. All of them. Every single one.

Yes. Even FFXIII.

when can I expect you to play an atelier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yeah, I bought Automata years ago, I should play that so I can buy Replicant and not play it for entirely too long as well!

Honestly you should maybe play Replicant first (it’s a remaster of the first game)

or like

play Replicant up to Ending D, then play Automata, then Replicant Ending E (new to this version)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i just got the final ending in replicant yesterday and hell yeah

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BluesShaman posted:

I was riveted by the main story.

redreader posted:

It's SO loving FUN.

Party Boat posted:

Plan an attack on a group of machines, gently caress up, improvise, accidentally drag even more machines into the battle, survive by the skin of my teeth, repeat.

Edmund Lava posted:

gently caress Ted Faro.

44. HORIZON ZERO DAWN
(Guerrilla)
50 points, listed 6 times, #1 1 time

It’s the second member of our exclusive All 4 Countdowns games! Yes Horizon has been a goon mainstay over the years but with a sequel due in just a couple of months this may well be the last time we see it in our charts. If that’s the case then it’s been a hell of a ride.

VG: I keep getting to post games I truly love and this makes me smile. What a dino ride!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looper posted:

i just got the final ending in replicant yesterday and hell yeah

Should’ve just watched in on utube

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Escobarbarian posted:

Honestly you should maybe play Replicant first (it’s a remaster of the first game)

or like

play Replicant up to Ending D, then play Automata, then Replicant Ending E (new to this version)

Oh, I didn't realize Replicant wasn't a sequel! But.... it also is?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Especially crazy for Horizon considering that we even missed its actual release year when most of us played it (it was high on my list that year for sure!).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

gently caress Ted Faro.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Horizon zero out of ten

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

What you never heard of the first Nier?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Welcome to Yoko Taro.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

when can I expect you to play an atelier

I was looking at them on the store and I put Ryza 2 on my wishlist. I am thinking based on how fast I get through games this year, it could either be a Q2/Q3 possibility or I could try playing offline. Is Ryza 2 a good one to start with?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I also have picked up the new Dragon Quest game and am jumping between it and Blue Reflection. I'm in a JRPG mood.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Several good games going out in a row here.

If I'd found the 2020 thread, HZD would have been my GOTY, and I expect Death Stranding and Nier will make in on my list this year.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

Horizon zero out of ten

I swear you make this joke every year

Regy Rusty posted:

Especially crazy for Horizon considering that we even missed its actual release year when most of us played it (it was high on my list that year for sure!).

Really wish I'd thought to start doing this thread in 2017, that was a banner year

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Everybody says "gently caress Ted Faro" and with good reason (gently caress Ted Faro!) but I wish more people talked about how unbelievably cool and good Dr. Elisabet Sobeck was. :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

What you never heard of the first Nier?

No, first time I ever heard of the Nier games was when Automata came out and everybody was going on about how great it was, had no idea it had a predecessor! Well, I did... but I thought the predecessor was the sequel!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

VideoGames posted:

I was looking at them on the store and I put Ryza 2 on my wishlist. I am thinking based on how fast I get through games this year, it could either be a Q2/Q3 possibility or I could try playing offline. Is Ryza 2 a good one to start with?

I'd recommend Ryza 1 as a better starting point. Neither of them are topping my list of ateliers, but they might top yours, from what I know of your tastes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I'd like to remind everyone that Horizon Zero Dawn has no colon in its official branding (but Monster Hunter: World does).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Jay Rust posted:

Horizon zero out of ten

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Waffleman_ posted:

Essentially dominated my every waking moment.

Jolo posted:

I had my "Pepe Sylvia" moment.

wuggles posted:

Extremely far up its own rear end in the best possible way.

Jon Irenicus posted:

This game is loving weird.

43. AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES
(Spike Chunsoft)
51 points, listed 7 times

Congrats to AI for charting for a third straight year. I also wanted to take this moment to highlight one quote in particular:

Walla posted:

This is here because of my son. I introduced him to this game over the summer and it was an absolute joy to hear all of his theories and ideas as the story progressed. Also he fell in love with the end credits dance and used that to work out and lose weight all summer.

This is the true power of video games, they bring us together. Thank you for sharing your story, Walla.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

bout to go to lunch but just wanted to share this message with all yall

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

I'd recommend Ryza 1 as a better starting point. Neither of them are topping my list of ateliers, but they might top yours, from what I know of your tastes

Which ones on PS4 would you recommend as really good? I would rather play one you deem as a top one. :)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rarity posted:

43. AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES
(Spike Chunsoft)
51 points, listed 7 times

Congrats to AI for charting for a third straight year. I also wanted to take this moment to highlight one quote in particular:

This is the true power of video games, they bring us together. Thank you for sharing your story, Walla.

Sequel this year! Don't sleep on it folks! If you haven't played the first one yet this is your chance to catch up in time!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Which ones on PS4 would you recommend as really good? I would rather play one you deem as a top one. :)

VG is Trails in the Sky on your list? I don't really care when you get to it just put it on there somewhere.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Somnium, because it’ll put you to sleep

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

VG is Trails in the Sky on your list? I don't really care when you get to it just put it on there somewhere.

Is that not a series where there are 30 games and a ton of backstory to understand? I will. (I might even have it already thanks to a humble bumble).

EDIT: Yes. On steam I have Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Is that not a series where there are 30 games and a ton of backstory to understand? I will. (I might even have it already thanks to a humble bumble).

There's a bunch of games yes, but Trails in the Sky is the first one and thus requires no outside knowledge to start with! If you do like them and just play them in order you'll have no problems.

E:

VideoGames posted:

EDIT: Yes. On steam I have Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

thumbs up

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AI: The Sonmium Files rules

The "AI" part of the title is like a four-way pun too

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mizuti posted:

Intimate, sincere, and compassionate.

Julias posted:

Emotion-based combat system.

Morphogenic96 posted:

A story of fear and tragedy and trauma but with a core of hope buried deep within.

The Moon Monster posted:

I know you're probably rolling your eyes now like you saw the phrase "Souls inspired" in a Kickstarter pitch.

42. OMORI
(OMOCAT)
52 points, listed 6 times, #1 2 times

Shut up and take my money, Moon Monster.

VG: Go on, take all of mine as well!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

VideoGames posted:

my all time fave video game is atelier ayesha, but I think the game that best expresses what makes atelier so special to me is atelier rorona.

If you'd like to know more, the op of the atelier thread has my thoughts on all the games in the series that are out in english

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
How are there games beating dark souls and poo poo that I’ve literally never heard of. I need just a random “this game exists” feed into my phone

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
O-YA-SUMIII
OHHH-YA-SU-MIII
I KNOW THAT IT'S HARD TO DOOOOOO

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
I finally played AI after it popped up on game pass and beat it a few days ago, and the godawful song from the ending has been stuck in my head since. I still can't decide if I like the game or hate it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

my all time fave video game is atelier ayesha, but I think the game that best expresses what makes atelier so special to me is atelier rorona.

If you'd like to know more, the op of the atelier thread has my thoughts on all the games in the series that are out in english

Rorona and Ayesha both on PS4. Therefore I will get one of those. Thank you Cheetah. I will not read about them, I will go in blind and pick one of them :)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Extortionist posted:

I finally played AI after it popped up on game pass and beat it a few days ago, and the godawful song from the ending has been stuck in my head since. I still can't decide if I like the game or hate it.

it owns op

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Aidan_702 posted:

How are there games beating dark souls and poo poo that I’ve literally never heard of

Probably cause Dark Souls came out 5 years ago :ssh:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dork Quarrels

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Probably cause Dark Souls came out 5 years ago :ssh:

It's 2016? God no I can't go through that again! :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006