Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's also 100% a flex by Bruno Redondo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Catwoman ended in a pretty good note and the Black Label one is something I'd want to see as a movie

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As noted, Nightwing was rad and kind of a quintessential Nightwing story which makes sense script wise as this issue is mostly about the art. (If people don't know, the hook is the story basically one continuous panel.)

Wonder Woman Evolution was... not amazing although I'm kinda into the new costume. And really, really suffers in coming out with Nubia in the same week, because good god(dess) that book is everything I want from a WW series. Can Ayala, Williams and this art team take over the main title? I acknowledge that some of that is me being exactly the nostalgic target for the fan-service in this mini, with all the callbacks to Perez and Rucka being my jam, but also, it shows perfectly what I think escapes so many WW creative teams: Just because they call it Paradise Island doesn't mean you can't have conflict and drama! The argument about what the new arrivals from the Well of Souls and Nubia's new regime means is not a direct reference to any specific continuity but it's spot on out of earlier excellent runs where the Amazons can disagree with each other and that can drive the tension in the stories! And Wonder Woman (or here, Nubia) can be torn as to what side she agrees with or having one side be against her even though she understands their concerns!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Both Catwoman books that came out were pretty good. One was a capstone on the run set in Alleytown which I feel could've gone longer and should have had more time to do stuff without dealing with Future State. The other one which is under Black Label is something that I'd probably love to see animated or as a movie. Just old lady heist shenanigans with her teammate Killer Croc and others while Two-Face runs for mayor in the background

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020
FYI: DC holiday sale on Comixology right now, through the 3rd of January.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah regardless of whether you're reading the title or even like the character at all, you're missing out if you don't read this week's issue of Nightwing

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hello. I liked Ostrander 's suicide squad, I assume the movie resulted in a new series featuring Harley. Is it good?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Hello. I liked Ostrander 's suicide squad, I assume the movie resulted in a new series featuring Harley. Is it good?

No

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The Tom Taylor series was I dunno about the current one

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The current one has a good message and had some interesting things going on, but it's hampered by being involved in some way with the major Gotham events

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The current series is better than I expected it to be after the Tom Taylor series (which is definitely worth a read). This is mainly helped by most of the post N52 stuff not being great. This run isn't exactly anything special, but you could do worse with a current DC title.

I appreciate that the cast is mainly all new characters for the team, so it definitely has the same energy as wanting to read a classic JLA story but reading in the Justice League Detroit era.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Anybody like American Vampire? Is it good vampire times? Scott Snyder seems like a wild card.

I have yet to read Kingdom Come, maybe this year. I've seen a poster or two.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Heavy Metal posted:

Anybody like American Vampire? Is it good vampire times? Scott Snyder seems like a wild card.

I have yet to read Kingdom Come, maybe this year. I've seen a poster or two.

I quite enjoy it and the mythology it builds. I haven't read the latest series of it but the first few volumes are a lot of fun.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cool! I'll bump that up the ol' list. Could always use some vampire content.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Heavy Metal posted:

I read some early volumes and it was pretty fun. If you want trashy vampire stuff, it is the one for you. It was fun, and I sometimes think about getting back into it, but it just didn't hold me.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

American Vampire is mostly very good, but it really doesn't stick the landing. I work with a guy who loved it, was his favorite book of all time ect ect, and sold his whole run within a week once he bought the last issue. Taking a few years off and smushing all the planned plot into one 10 issue mini isn't the ideal way to end anything. Kudos for actually finishing it Mr Snyder, I do have to respect him bothering at all after so long.

The early stuff is excellent, but I would personally recommend stopping after the World War Two stuff happens. The last few issues also killed the series for me but it happens. It doesn't it doesn't end up unreadable by any means it is just much weaker than the stuff from years before.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Now I've gotta see this ending! Good to know though. The 50s stuff is part of what caught my eye, and a peeve of mine is movies like Interview with a Vampire not showing much of some cool decades such as the 50s-70s etc. But I'm going in pretty blind.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

On a slightly different note, Teen Titans Academy still makes me wish that I could unread books :buddy:

I still think that the 2 issue mini-story with Liebert on art was actually written by him and not Sheridan. Mainly because it was an actually good comic, until the last pages with X.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gerry conway wrote some good batman stories

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mr Hootington posted:

Gerry conway wrote some good batman stories

Right on. Any favs you'd recommend, stand out issues or chunks of a few?

I remember reading some of that era back when I was 13 or so, that stuff with Maniken stuck out as really sad and disturbing to me. Was surprising how ghastly the vibe of some of those comics could be. I didn't like it.

I feel like when I was digging into comics at the time (via DC++), a lot of stuff I guess including some of Conway's run felt like schlock to me, to be honest. The Maniken thing is one example, but just I guess crass soap opera shock value stuff happening, without something to elevate it or make it appeal to me, other than Batman being there. Maybe I'm being hard on him for disturbing me in my youth. I gather he did cool stuff, and brought a more Marvel-y serialized approach to things a bit.

For comparison, I love Judge Dredd which often had schlocky or shocking stuff happen in those days, but Wagner/Grant handled it with that dark humor and wit that made it appealing. When something so tragic and messed up like a little girl we care about getting hit by a car and getting a weird new robot body etc happened, again that's the sort of thing that will just slay me with it's horror, but Wagner made it work for me. Random ramble here on my pet peeves aside, I'd still be interested to try some Conway issues again. I can dig a shortform tragedy story thingy, like a Leiji Matsumoto episode or whatever, but they gotta wine and dine me a bit.

I see Conway created Jason Todd, I read some of that era, up to Jason's end, mainly post crisis stuff. Batman 400 is one of my fav stand-alone issues by the way, seems odd it's not in a trade collection best of or anything. I guess the fun slick tone of that one is more my style. I can dig gritty or grim, but it's gotta pull it off in a way that feels earned or special for me somehow. And nice to mix up the tone a bit during a Batman run, some comedy, some romance, some mayhem, etc. I know Gotham is a scary place, but there's gotta be some nuance or variety so it doesn't feel samey and hopeless or something. Not to say Gerry doesn't do that, just randomly doing a spiel here.

That all said, the thing where Conway had Batman be a vampire does look delightful. And cool that you're reading some classic comics! I'm digging some 80s comic stuff myself lately.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on. Any favs you'd recommend, stand out issues or chunks of a few?

I remember reading some of that era back when I was 13 or so, that stuff with Maniken stuck out as really sad and disturbing to me. Was surprising how ghastly the vibe of some of those comics could be. I didn't like it.

I feel like when I was digging into comics at the time (via DC++), a lot of stuff I guess including some of Conway's run felt like schlock to me, to be honest. The Maniken thing is one example, but just I guess crass soap opera shock value stuff happening, without something to elevate it or make it appeal to me, other than Batman being there. Maybe I'm being hard on him for disturbing me in my youth. I gather he did cool stuff, and brought a more Marvel-y serialized approach to things a bit.

For comparison, I love Judge Dredd which often had schlocky or shocking stuff happen in those days, but Wagner/Grant handled it with that dark humor and wit that made it appealing. When something so tragic and messed up like a little girl we care about getting hit by a car and getting a weird new robot body etc happened, again that's the sort of thing that will just slay me with it's horror, but Wagner made it work for me. Random ramble here on my pet peeves aside, I'd still be interested to try some Conway issues again. I can dig a shortform tragedy story thingy, like a Leiji Matsumoto episode or whatever, but they gotta wine and dine me a bit.

I see Conway created Jason Todd, I read some of that era, up to Jason's end, mainly post crisis stuff. Batman 400 is one of my fav stand-alone issues by the way, seems odd it's not in a trade collection best of or anything. I guess the fun slick tone of that one is more my style. I can dig gritty or grim, but it's gotta pull it off in a way that feels earned or special for me somehow. And nice to mix up the tone a bit during a Batman run, some comedy, some romance, some mayhem, etc. I know Gotham is a scary place, but there's gotta be some nuance or variety so it doesn't feel samey and hopeless or something. Not to say Gerry doesn't do that, just randomly doing a spiel here.

That all said, the thing where Conway had Batman be a vampire does look delightful. And cool that you're reading some classic comics! I'm digging some 80s comic stuff myself lately.

Detective 497-526 and Batman 337-359. Beyond O'Neil's Ras saga this is really the first long form intertwined Batman stories. Everybody shows up and the stories, while melodramatic, work very well. The art is great too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This month's Suicide Squad really wanted to hammer the references to the Marvel Pastiches of Earth-8 as well as introduce a few more including a clown in red and black with katanas called "Blood Pouch"

Justice League Incarnate also had their own foray into pastiches but all of theirs were from Image and mixed with a main earth counterpart including showing off their pastiche of Spawn. Ngl, it wasn't who I expected but I'm totally okay with it. The Zoo Crew also show up and invite grumpy Batdad to join them.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I enjoyed both Batman and Detective Comics this week. Picked up Detective on a whim, and I wasn’t disappointed. It’s going to be a twelve part weekly story involving the Arkham Tower, which is new to me.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/SilverAgeTV/status/1478908808298745866?t=n49XOUyxwZ-4WryPQYOKgQ&s=19

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm re-reading O'Neil/Cowan Question run for the first time since I got the trades and it really feels like a proto early Vertigo Superhero book (in fact I feel like the only reason it isn't a true Vertigo Proto superhero book is because it isn't written by a Brit). The storylines are kind of experimental at times, deal with mature subjects, still features traditional heroes at parts and is all round awesome.
I know the trades can be hard to come by (and apparently I can see the first one for a hundred bucks or so if Amazon is to be believed) but it is worth checking out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There is an omnibus on the way.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Rhyno posted:

There is an omnibus on the way.

Ooo I didn't know this. Thanks for the heads up.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just got a great deal on the vast majority of Vigilante back issues on eBay. The one and only TPB collects #1-11, and I hopefully have #14-50 on the way. I hate having a bunch of singles taking up space these days, but I really want to read this series at last. Of course, this means DC will probably announce some more collected editions.

I'm about halfway through the riveting documentary For Madmen Only on Hulu, about legendary improv comedy guru Del Close and his work with John Ostrander on the Wasteland comic, and I'm shocked DC has never released a collection, even under the Vertigo banner, where it would have fit the best.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I just got a great deal on the vast majority of Vigilante back issues on eBay. The one and only TPB collects #1-11, and I hopefully have #14-50 on the way. I hate having a bunch of singles taking up space these days, but I really want to read this series at last. Of course, this means DC will probably announce some more collected editions.

I'm about halfway through the riveting documentary For Madmen Only on Hulu, about legendary improv comedy guru Del Close and his work with John Ostrander on the Wasteland comic, and I'm shocked DC has never released a collection, even under the Vertigo banner, where it would have fit the best.

Vigilante is a title I so badly wish DC would finish collecting. I'm really glad to have gotten all the Question trades when they came out and glad DC finished connecting them. The fact that DC released one trade of Vigilante and then nothing pisses me off nearly as much as them releasing two trade of Ostrander's Spectre and then nothing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think I am missing about 5 issues of Vigilante, they rarely came into the shop. Maybe he'll be the breakout star on Peacemaker and we'll get an omni.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The world's not ready. I knew about the ending of that run in advance but I was still jaw-fully-dropped agape at it when I finally read it. The entire Alan Welles arc also goes way harder than required. Kupperberg's Checkmate is also quite good but doesn't quite nail the same sense of prolonged, feverish intensity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's also worth mentioning that Adrian Chase has one of the best costume designs of all time.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I think I am missing about 5 issues of Vigilante, they rarely came into the shop. Maybe he'll be the breakout star on Peacemaker and we'll get an omni.

How Wonderful! posted:

The world's not ready. I knew about the ending of that run in advance but I was still jaw-fully-dropped agape at it when I finally read it. The entire Alan Welles arc also goes way harder than required. Kupperberg's Checkmate is also quite good but doesn't quite nail the same sense of prolonged, feverish intensity.

Peacemaker is what inspired me to finally bite the bullet and binge-read the series. I'm hoping to be able to get another law review article out of it, about how the comic might have affected readers' perceptions of lawyers, judges, and the legal system in the mid-'80s and how those stories might read differently today.

I will also have to go back and watch and analyze Arrow season 5.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I will also have to go back and watch and analyze Arrow season 5.

There's nothing to be gained from this!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Madkal posted:

I'm re-reading O'Neil/Cowan Question run for the first time since I got the trades and it really feels like a proto early Vertigo Superhero book (in fact I feel like the only reason it isn't a true Vertigo Proto superhero book is because it isn't written by a Brit). The storylines are kind of experimental at times, deal with mature subjects, still features traditional heroes at parts and is all round awesome.
I know the trades can be hard to come by (and apparently I can see the first one for a hundred bucks or so if Amazon is to be believed) but it is worth checking out.

Back in the day of Internet 1.0 I read through the old Question run using :filez:

It was pretty good. Two things stood out
1) This slightly strange Batman/Green Arrow/ Question Crossover that happens in the middle of the series. I think O'Neill was writing all three titles which was why it happened.
My favourite part was how Richard Dragon is brought up and how he was being depicted differently in all series.
"I hear he is confined to a wheel chair. And some days I hear that he can run faster than a rabbit."
It just gave the run this quasi-poetic/mythological feel.

2) The ending of the series is rough. Not just what happens in the story, but also in tracking it down.(it didn't happen in The Question series but a follow-up series called DC Quaterly or Question Quartley that came out a year after the main series.)
I also remember that what happened in it was so downbeat it involved the death a a series regular, that happened due to a long, painful illness while she was being brought through a jungle. Really grim, and it sort of paralleled Victor Sages own death during 52 years later. that the Question's next appearance in the DCU (which I think was in a book written by Greg Rucka funnily enough) retconned what had happened.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am powering through the Question trades and it is kind of mind blowing the stuff that they got away with. I noticed that after a certain amount of issues it started saying "Suggested for mature readers" which I think was another precursor for the Vertigo line. The only other non-Vertigo book I can think of off the top of my head that had the "Suggested for mature readers" box was Lobo. I am kind of interested if there is a history behind this or a move from DC to make more mature hero books in the 80's.
The whole book feels like the hero universe version of Bad Lieutenant where everything is grimy and decaying. Hub City is the city of slums of perpetual rain. There was one issues where the Question is investigating a disgusting evil racist who drops the N word in every panel he is in. It made for some real uncomfortable reading and I won't spoil the ending of that issues but it really drove at the moral ambiguity of the title.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Hub City made Gotham look like Metropolis. It was one step away from Apokolips on Earth.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

One thing I found funny was how Hub City had all these disasters (including an Earthquake, the American Government abandoning the place and an old West law stating that if the Mayor is killed whomever came second in the elections becomes Mayor) and the end of the main series is....Well Vic eventually realizing that Hub City can't be saved and he should just move somewhere else.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

The Question IRL posted:

One thing I found funny was how Hub City had all these disasters (including an Earthquake, the American Government abandoning the place and an old West law stating that if the Mayor is killed whomever came second in the elections becomes Mayor) and the end of the main series is....Well Vic eventually realizing that Hub City can't be saved and he should just move somewhere else.

My fave thing about the mayor one is that it was usually the person who came in second who would kill the person who came in first, and because the person who came in second is now mayor they couldn't really arrest that person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Finished my re-read of The Question trades and I briefly remembered the ending but forgot what a downer the last two issues are, where things are really really really falling apart for Hub City. The trades don't collect the quarterlies or anything after the run so I went on wiki to see what happened to the characters. Looks like the decided to amp up the depression even more. One thing I didn't see on the wiki though is what happened to Myra after she decided to stay in Hub City and what happened to Hub City itself after the last issue. Is there any follow up on what happened to Myra? I assume only bad things because that is what the comic is like. Also has Hub City appeared anywhere in the last 20 years?