Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I love that Guy Richie made a Dark Souls movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The other night I dreamt I got Elden Ring early....

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Sakurazuka posted:

The other night I dreamt I got Elden Ring early....

Same man.

Same.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I didn't know what TES was when Morrowind came with my old FX 5200 nearly 20 years ago. But it just had this atmosphere that I've scarcely experienced in anything else since. Right from the opening title, to Jiub greeting you on the boat, you're hooked.

I beat the main quest I guess in Skyrim but left a lot untouched cause it was boring. But every time I go back to attempt a new run I'm bored of it before I'm off the cart.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Morrowind is so weird and cool and it's a bummer how most fantasy stuff is still generic fantasy - it's so lame Todd had them make Oblivion medieval Europe when it wasn't supposed to be in the lore. It's why I'm excited about stuff like "conqueror of the stars" because that could signal some weirdness beyond Dark Soulsian medieval Europe fantasy.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Oenis posted:

Do you have any recommended places to preorder from? I see some stores offering a more attractive pricing proposition than steam's 60€, but then again I don't know anything about the trustworthiness of these.

GameStop gives you miniature horse summoning whistle. Best Buy gives you a steel case. Neither is as good as Sekiro's katana letter opener because I can't place it in my infant son's hand and have it be to scale (it's not sharp, although it did piss off my wife).

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's why I'm excited about stuff like "conqueror of the stars" because that could signal some weirdness beyond Dark Soulsian medieval Europe fantasy.

Yeah. I’m hoping Elden Ring goes full BB in it’s second half.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

daggerfall was real loving cool for the time but it pays for its ambition with some absolutely game-breaking issues, more common and worse than a lot of the stuff in the modern games

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Speaking of which, if anyone wants to try Daggerfall these days, Daggerfall Unity is 100% the way to go (and turn on the option that makes the dungeons smaller).

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

CYBEReris posted:

daggerfall was real loving cool for the time but it pays for its ambition with some absolutely game-breaking issues, more common and worse than a lot of the stuff in the modern games

Bethesda was bethesda before it was cool.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Groovelord Neato posted:

Morrowind is so weird and cool and it's a bummer how most fantasy stuff is still generic fantasy - it's so lame Todd had them make Oblivion medieval Europe when it wasn't supposed to be in the lore. It's why I'm excited about stuff like "conqueror of the stars" because that could signal some weirdness beyond Dark Soulsian medieval Europe fantasy.

What was the lore for it supposed to be?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ichabod Tane posted:

Cyrodiil was always described as a jungle before Oblivion had to actually show it to us.

Michael Kirkbride posted:

Cyrodiil was going to be as described in the first PGE. [...] The heart of the province being what you think of when you think of a traditional jungle, tumbling down to the fields of large rice paddies that fed the Empire, guarded by Romanesque troops and dragons everywhere. The Imperial City was to be vast, rolling across wetlands and swamps, with large sections lost and overgrown, full of too many cults to count, the oldest temples having obviously been around since the Merethic.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Dabir posted:

Cyrodiil was always described as a jungle before Oblivion had to actually show it to us.

oh that sounds extremely cool and now I'm bummed too lmao

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ichabod Tane posted:

Like Dabir posted it was a massive jungle and it was populated by Amazon-Romans. If I'm remembering right it was developed when LOTR came out so Todd Howard decided it should be boring medieval Europe.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dutFzBXNF4

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Skyrim is the second-best unmodded elder scrolls game tbh. It's just that that series has never been amazing outside of Morrowind. The TES games that came before it were heavily flawed and lacked focus beyond the vague "feel like an adventurer in a massive fantasy world" concept. In contrast, Morrowind had a singular vision that still allowed for a shocking amount of open-endedness without any of the content feeling tangential, a miraculous trick that bethesda will never be able to recreate. They're back to making their games too big, while being about too many different things. So I'd argue that only one of Bethesda's games has ever been great, though I thought Skyrim was pretty alright in its own way.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel. None of the Elder Scrolls games are bad, and I'm sure I'll buy and enjoy every single one in the future, but Morrowind blew my loving mind at the time. A fully 3-D world with all kinds of things to find and do and it was possible to completely gently caress yourself and die horribly without a whole lot of effort, and everything was so loving weird and unfamiliar. It really set the tone and was groundbreaking at the time. Skyrim was better than Oblivion, IMO, but I think that was more due to general levels of polish and better art than anything. A pseudo-Norse setting is better than somewhat generic FantasyLand™, but not by a lot.

CYBEReris posted:

Yeah, if you played Daggerfall, especially when it first came out, you better save every five minutes and have 50 loving backup saves because, wow, was it fragile. You would inevitably have minor broken poo poo happening in your game re: quests and scripting and you just had to decide what was bad enough to sacrifice X hours for and how far you wanted to roll it back in the hope that it wouldn't happen again. The only thing I miss from Daggerfall is the sheer scale of the dungeons, but that was also part of the problem since they (some of them?) were auto-generated and you could easily trap yourself forever because welp, generator did a whoopsie.

The only game that has me as excited as Elden Ring right now is Dying Light 2, which comes out on the 4th--the first one was really, really good. Both of them could be absolutely stunning and could set a new standard.
I thought that about Cyberpunk too, and had equally high hopes, and while I don't regret buying it and feel like I got my money's worth, instead of being groundbreaking it ended up being...fun. Mostly. Often.

I'm glad we've seen vids and heard good things via early access. I'd be bummed by another "okay...it's fun". :flaccid:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ichabod Tane posted:

oh that sounds extremely cool and now I'm bummed too lmao

Yeah the Imperial City was supposed to be a Tenochtitlan style canal city on a lake instead of what we got. :aloom:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

To be honest that just sounds like they had to compromise to get it to fit within the limitations of the hardware of the day. Bethesda had to get it running on 360 as a launch title. There's a city in the game that's got a bit more foliage compared to the other cities (Cheydinhal I think?), and it noticeably runs like a dog. I remember the framedrops vividly. Getting dense foliage to run well back then would have been a fool's errand.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 8, 2022

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

To be honest that just sounds like they had to compromise to get it to fit within the limitations of the hardware of the day. Bethesda had to get it running on 360 as a launch title. There's a city in the game that's got a bit more foliage compared to the other cities (Cheydinhal I think?), and it noticeably runs like a dog. I remember the framedrops vividly. Getting dense foliage to run well back then would have been a fool's errand.

Yes, people at the time were very excited about how the game was being ruined by console needs right at a time when PC graphics were getting very exciting. Oblivion came out the year before Crysis lol

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Well it looks like From may be doing a new Armoured Core... perhaps with a soulsbourne twist?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-01-08-details-of-an-announced-from-software-armored-core-game-have-reportedly-popped-up-online

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
I played the first dying light and liked it but holy poo poo does the development of the sequel sound like a poo poo show. I would absolutely not preorder it no matter how much you liked the original.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

skasion posted:

Yes, people at the time were very excited about how the game was being ruined by console needs right at a time when PC graphics were getting very exciting. Oblivion came out the year before Crysis lol

Oblivion still looked heads and shoulders above everything else, just by virtue of being the first title of a new generation.

Crysis may have been a year later but the hardware to run it well literally didn't exist. We had to wait for something like the geforce gtx 470 to finally run it above 30fps at high settings and that was not for another three years!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Console limitations would've limited the scale but it would've had no effect on the aesthetic choices really.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

gently caress yes, i've been waiting for a new Armored Core.

As a pre-teen / teenager who played a lot of King's Field and Armored Core -- I need this. Funny thing, I didn't know From made both of those games and so when goons introduced me to demon souls by pointing out that they were the same company that made King's Field, I was blown away.

When I found out they made all three of these games my mind got blown.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
I can't wait for the stupidest hot takes about how Armored Core, which has always been about horrible megacorps loving up everything and fighting insane corpo wars, is actually an attack on sjws and communism.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Ichabod Tane posted:

gently caress yes, i've been waiting for a new Armored Core.

As a pre-teen / teenager who played a lot of King's Field and Armored Core -- I need this. Funny thing, I didn't know From made both of those games and so when goons introduced me to demon souls by pointing out that they were the same company that made King's Field, I was blown away.

When I found out they made all three of these games my mind got blown.

From also made the rather excellent Otogi on Xbox. They have been making extremely good games for years

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Its been rumored that From would revisit Armored Core since DS3 came out and they made a big stink about it being the "last dark souls". I never played Armored Core but I would be interested in seeing how modern From handles it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Chromehounds was another amazing FROM game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Thundercracker posted:

(it's not sharp, although it did piss off my wife).

So it's just like you then? Hey-ooooohhh

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
See, that's weird because I thought Oblivion had more variety and was more colorful thank Skyrim where every single area was grey, brown, cold and snowy. I'm not wild about either game and got bored quickly (20 hours maybe) with both but thought that Oblivion was more fun to look at.

Ah poo poo. Sorry. double post

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Chromehounds was another amazing FROM game.

the forever war. Chromehounds was sick af. I had a mean looking scorpion looking mech that would routinely get it's tail blown off

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

See, that's weird because I thought Oblivion had more variety and was more colorful thank Skyrim where every single area was grey, brown, cold and snowy. I'm not wild about either game and got bored quickly (20 hours maybe) with both but thought that Oblivion was more fun to look at.

Ah poo poo. Sorry. double post

Visually, Oblivion is to DS1 as Skyrim is to DS3. DS2 is a big pile of half baked piss with pretty lighting and a few nice views.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Chromehounds was soooo loving good in the beginning. Just hilarious stupid bullshit

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

i cannot wait to play this in 2026 or whatever

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

edgar_ posted:

i cannot wait to play this in 2026 or whatever

From releases games at a pretty steady pace, I doubt we'll have to wait that long to see it release.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

Its been rumored that From would revisit Armored Core since DS3 came out and they made a big stink about it being the "last dark souls". I never played Armored Core but I would be interested in seeing how modern From handles it.

Armored Core on the PS1 is a classic, it's the game that first gave me customization brainworms. Most of the other third person shooters of the day were incredibly shallow and lacked depth, but AC was the first to give the player a lot of choice in their loadout and playstyles, and it helped that the gameplay was really, really loving good. The targetting & controls worked despite the lack of joysticks back then.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

From releases games at a pretty steady pace, I doubt we'll have to wait that long to see it release.

yeah its important to remember that the long gap between Elden Ring's announcement and release is unusual for them

though I guess technically the new Armored Core hasn't been announced quite yet

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

elden ring is the first time I felt like I was really being made to wait for a From game, normally they come out at a pretty steady clip

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the gap wasn’t really that bad considering the pandemic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
It's only been 3 years since Sekiro. Compare that against FFXIV or Halo Infinite. From seems extremely well managed compared to most game studios.