Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Caught a fish. Caught all the fish. A lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Zesty posted:

Caught a fish. Caught all the fish. A lot.

Jesus.

I was happy with myself for catching one of each wildsplash last night while my buddy was doing a shrine.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 8, 2022

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Stealing fish is the best, I love eating some at random if need be like some kind of philistine. Did I just scarf something precious to ensure my escape? Who can say

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Anyone who keeps precious fish anywhere but their body and launches and swims great distances to deliver it doesn't deserve it anyways.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I recall just fishing with Twigz in Devil’s Roar totally chilling when an Athena crew was having issues and had a burning ship beach itself during a foggy day on the island we were anchored near. We just shouted “don’t mind us we are just fishing”. No doubt absolutely embarrassed at their situation and relieved we meant no harm, they allied with us and we got a nice free 300k or so and standings rep iirc while chilling, catching those gilled monstrosities of the deep.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Can you catch angler fish?

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
You can catch every type of fish, under certain conditions. Wreckers (that look like angler fish) only spawn in water next to shipwrecks.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

life_source posted:

Anyone who keeps precious fish anywhere but their body and launches and swims great distances to deliver it doesn't deserve it anyways.

That's a good way to lose rare fish through disconnects. I've seen it happen. If you're going to lose a fight, best thing to do is put it in a storage box and tuck it on an island somewhere.

I've never lost a scrap while fishing in a group though. The thing about the people that grind for that commendation is that the majority of them are longtime players who have already accomplished most everything else.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 9, 2022

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Lammasu posted:

Can you catch angler fish?

There is a fish that closely resembles an angler fish, but all the fish are fictional.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
what are some interesting cannon fx and where can i get the confetti one?

Thief fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 11, 2022

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Thief posted:

what are some interesting cannon fx and where can i get the confetti one?

The confetti one is from the Viva Pinata set on the cash shop, the same set has the collectors edition figurehead that has a unicorn with a glowing rainbow around it if thats your thing.

I kind of like the Rogue Tinkerer set flares as they're all smokey and full of sparks, but my crew generally avoids cannon flares as they apparently make it harder to see? :shrug:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Most of the fancy ones are cash shop or battle pass locked. Glitterbeard’s Cannon Flare is pretty cool and free but requires you to find all of his books I think.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I got the Sea of Sands(?) cannons, I love them to death. The shot effect looks nice without being obtrusive, and the cannons themselves look like fancy glass so it always looks like I took them off of a nicer ship and I love that.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So how's that buried treasure stuff working out? has it been a good alternative to selling off stuff at a outpost, is it worth taking treasure maps people leave on the board? or is it mostly castaway chests and gunpowder everywhere?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I forgot it existed lol

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Now when I fire off to an island and the ship continues on, if I find a random bit of loot I bury it rather than just leave it on the beach.

Also when we sink people sometimes a map comes up.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
It’s mostly junk, but it’s still worth checking for maps in areas you’re going to be in for quests if you’re running an emissary flag. Helps to get your level up faster.

The real problem is on the burying end. I’ve made an effort to bury really good poo poo for others to find and most times it never gets dug up. The only way I’ve consistently been able to get people to dig anything is to bury it at the Reaper hideout, right outside the door. I buried a Reaper chest there to make sure someone got them and that worked.

Mostly I think the benefit of burying stuff is going to be for hiding things you don’t want to lose in a fight. Since so few people bother with the maps, it’s probably a good way to keep things safe even if you don’t remember to hide the map somewhere.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I spent 3 or 4 days grabbing 5 maps from the outpost and then another 5 from the nearest seaspost for a single region and rowboating around. I found nothing of value.

I think this is because if no players have placed maps in a region it automatically creates a map with regular loot. If it didn't do this it would be better because you could feel confident it's a player placed map and you are either getting something of real value or helping someone else by digging it up.

life_source fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 11, 2022

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

The real problem is on the burying end. I’ve made an effort to bury really good poo poo for others to find and most times it never gets dug up.

yeah this is what made me lose track of it. Just a week straight of no one finding my loot and it dropped completely off my radar

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
How do I use fireworks?

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Lammasu posted:

How do I use fireworks?

Load them in your cannons, fire.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I still say whenever you dig up a player map item from the board it should have a small possibility to be replaced with a Athena item or something better than what they buried

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

It might be better if buried treasure got more valuable over time, giving people more of a reason to go through the time effort. And the auto generated treasure maps aren't great, they just feel like a nice sometimes bonus when you happen to end up on that island. I think player-made maps should be the only ones and there should be some bigger incentive to participating in the whole thing.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

If you sink do you lose your buried maps too or do they stay like voyage maps?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

mrmcd posted:

If you sink do you lose your buried maps too or do they stay like voyage maps?

You lose them. The map bundle floats up.

I'm not sure if you can go dig them up blind... Might need an experiment.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There's a map bundle that gets created on your voyage table that holds them - you have to rescue that if you want to keep your maps.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Icedude posted:

The confetti one is from the Viva Pinata set on the cash shop

thanks, it's corny but i enjoyed actually walking into the emporium at an outpost and actually buying something :homebrew:

also love the bilgerat stuff:

whenever i'm solo sloop/brig it seems harassing ppl with fireworks while your alliance flag's raised is the best way to make friends

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm not sure if you can go dig them up blind... Might need an experiment.

you can. me and a homie synced up two sloops when it dropped and knocked everything out in one session, and I could absolutely just go over and take his poo poo he was burying as he did it

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I will say that it's pretty easy to tell the auto-generated maps from the player made ones, as the former tend to have very pirate sounding, three part names.

That said, it seems like after everyone got the new achievements for the maps, most people stopped with the mechanic. Beyond burying stuff you can't get to your ship or that isn't part of your current emissary, or maybe hiding treasure from others, I don't see much use for it. Could definitely use a bigger incentive of some kind.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I really want the bandit mask from stealing a bundle and placing it on my table. I've been resisting the urge to ally and cheese it, but I might just give in if no one is carrying them.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

glitchwraith posted:

Could definitely use a bigger incentive of some kind.

A quest that involves burying treasure, going and doing something else, and coming back to dig up your now-magically-more-valuable treasure would be pretty cool, honestly. Like an ancient pirate ritual you gotta go do on the other side of the map or something.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Mongoose posted:

I really want the bandit mask from stealing a bundle and placing it on my table. I've been resisting the urge to ally and cheese it, but I might just give in if no one is carrying them.

Last time I was Reaping, we found two map bundles after sinking other boats. Fairly certain those count for the achievement, so just playing aggressive might get it for you.

That said, I got it after jumping onto a parked sloop to steal a bundle, and finding they didn't have one. They wanted to know what the hell I was doing, and after explaining myself, they happily buried a random storage chest so I could do it.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Arcsech posted:

A quest that involves burying treasure, going and doing something else, and coming back to dig up your now-magically-more-valuable treasure would be pretty cool, honestly. Like an ancient pirate ritual you gotta go do on the other side of the map or something.

This is a good flavor explanation for it, could put some shrines around that need to be activated somehow, maybe with some type of looted key or something.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I think all that’s needed to fix the buried loot map situation is to show the approximate total value in gold and doubloons of each map. People don’t engage with the maps because mostly everything buried ends up being worthless garbage. If they could see that a map had 20-30K worth of loot on it, you better believe they would use it.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

when the patch first dropped, me and my buddies were burying empty storage chests and empty animal cages before we realized that's really grief-ey lol

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
My crew and I did our first FoF last night, as part of a really chill but profitable session. Could have been even more profitable if not for a crisis of conscience as we were about to wreck a solo slooper doing an Athena Run right at the end.

He'd swum over to give us an athena crate as a goodwill offering as we fought a meg nearby, which is apparently a direct route to my heart. So when we started wrecking him and he typed in chat "Wait", "It's me", I suddenly couldn't do it any more. Fortunately my crew are good people too, and kindly stopped with the cannons whilst I repaired.

Still stole one of his chalices before letting him go though.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

fallingdownjoe posted:

My crew and I did our first FoF last night, as part of a really chill but profitable session. Could have been even more profitable if not for a crisis of conscience as we were about to wreck a solo slooper doing an Athena Run right at the end.

He'd swum over to give us an athena crate as a goodwill offering as we fought a meg nearby, which is apparently a direct route to my heart. So when we started wrecking him and he typed in chat "Wait", "It's me", I suddenly couldn't do it any more. Fortunately my crew are good people too, and kindly stopped with the cannons whilst I repaired.

Still stole one of his chalices before letting him go though.

I still don't know what was weirder about that session: that we somehow went through that entire FoF uninterrupted, or that poor sod in the XBox liveried ship that somehow managed to have his boat respawn at the island we were fighting Flameheart at and sink alnost immediately to ghost cannon fire :laugh:

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I'd forgotten about that guy! Worst spawn I've seen in a long time

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Duo slooped with another new friend. We had a few sessions where we wandered a bit aimlessly and didn't get much practice (and one where we had all of our supplies jacked while doing a vault because we had a reaper's chest on board and thought it'd be fine; never making that mistake again), so this time we loaded up on supplies, raised a reaper's flag and went out to flameheart for target practice. It worked perfectly and by the end my friend was landing shots at all angles and longer and longer ranges. We did a horrible job looting, but still managed to get out with a stack of wraith cannonballs, 200 wood, 100 cannonballs and other fancy ghosty balls.

With our newfound spoils, we tore across the map sinking all the sloops we could find. After a few easy victories, we set our eyes on the other reaper on the map, which turned out to be a fully crewed galleon. We went back and forth with them for an hour, out gunning them in the cannon battle but failing to board and put it away. Meanwhile, they were constantly sending boarders who made it onto our ship, so we got a lot of practice defending and resetting the fight. It was fun and good practice, but eventually we ran out of cannonballs and time to play for the night, so we sailed away and got off for the night.

A bit frustrating after outgunning them the whole time, but overall good practice. If we had a better boarding rate than like 4/20 attempts we might have won. We also probably should have used more firebombs to disrupt them, and collected more chainshot (only had 4 at the start). A few smart focused attacks with wraith balls, firebombs, cursed balls and a good board could have ended things quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Reaping is definitely the most fun thing to do in the game but it does behoove you to really load up on a mountain of ammo. Like hundreds and hundreds of rounds because then you can play at being at WW1 battleship.