Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
at least now if he loses his house he has a jpg to sleep in :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It turns out that he has to have Tarkov, but no, he has to have the $130 Collector's Edition.

Holy crap, from (thankfully, low) in the replies:

oh my god

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Batterypowered7 posted:

Lmao, Jesus Christ

Reminds me that some people call a certain mixed drink an "Irish Car Bomb".

Ben and Jerry's did a St Patrick's day flavor that was loving Black and Tan. Honestly, irish-americans know the square root of sweet gently caress all about Irish history. Irish history of the 1920s is very complicated and very sensitive. My grandad was a soldier at that time and it was a supremely hosed up period.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

JFC, we have an amazing Boyfriend of the Year candidate, and it's only January 8! This kind of poo poo really bothers me, that someone is so under the thumb of a total scumbag.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

I missed this before and after reading it I kind of wish I could forget it. there's a lot of lovely things people do itt but this guy is just an honest to goodness bastard, through and through

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pookah posted:

Ben and Jerry's did a St Patrick's day flavor that was loving Black and Tan. Honestly, irish-americans know the square root of sweet gently caress all about Irish history. Irish history of the 1920s is very complicated and very sensitive. My grandad was a soldier at that time and it was a supremely hosed up period.

Also the name of a type of mixed shot, lmao

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Batterypowered7 posted:

Lmao, Jesus Christ

Reminds me that some people call a certain mixed drink an "Irish Car Bomb".

In all the good bars, an Irish Car Bomb is what you receive when you order a Black and Tan.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I’ve seen the same story a bunch of times about bartenders who respond to requests for Irish car bombs by putting down two shots and then setting them on fire and calling it the twin towers? Something close to that, just beautiful turnabout cultural insensitivity

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for kicking out a guy who peed in my shower?

quote:

I'd been on a few dates with this guy and he slept over my apartment the first time last night. In the morning I said I was gonna run a shower and make some coffee for us, he should join me for the shower.

He got in first and I went to start the coffee machine, and then joined him. And he was peeing in my shower?!?! It doesn't even have good water pressure to wash it down so the pee was just lingering on the ground near his feet.

I told him to stop pissing and get out and he kept pissing!?! And said everyone does it. I said no I don't, I don't know wanna be standing in piss, my bathroom stinks now, he needs to get out.

He said he wanted to shower and I told him no, he needs to leave.

He got out and I told him to put on his clothes and go, and he was beliggerant about that, saying I was uptight.

I said that I just think peeing should be private in general, I don't wanna come into a shower expecting to get frisky and see him peeing! If he's gotta pee he should close the door instead of doing it when he knows I'm coming right in!

And also the only place he should be peeing in my apartment is in the toilet? Like who raised you dude?

Anyway he was acting real argumentative and I ended up saying that I didn't want to argue, I had work in an hour and a half, and he needed to leave. Because I said so and it's my apartment. I know I was sounding like a kindergarten teacher but I was fed up with how he didn't respect the simple thing of "don't pee in view of the girl you're trying to impress and don't pee on things that aren't her toilet in full view"

He sent me some texts later saying I was being a real dick, he had to go to work unclean and without breakfast because I didn't let him finish using the shower, and that I kicked him out after we'd planned to have breakfast together and he didn't have the time to go home and cook before work.

I feel like I might be the rear end in a top hat for not at least letting him finish the shower? But I still think what he did was super nasty and ignorant and who even thinks that's something appropriate to do to someone you (presumably) want to stay at all attracted to you?

AITA for kicking out this guy who peed in my shower?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Tobermory posted:

In all the good bars, an Irish Car Bomb is what you receive when you order a Black and Tan.

There's just no winning with this shot! lmao

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA- I own 2 cars but prefer to drive my wife’s car and she’s not happy about it.

quote:

I own a ‘99 Mercedes G500 and a ‘92 BMW convertible. Both get terrible gas mileage and cost a lot to maintain. Plus I don’t want to wreck either in lousy LA traffic with all the yahoos on the road. We just bought an all-electric Ford Mustang Mach e and it’s super nice. Comfortable and fast, fun to drive and best part- all electric so inexpensive to operate.
We have a toddler that goes 5 days a week to daycare. Car seats in both my G500 and Ford Mach e. I can take my G500 but it’s a hassle pulling out of the tight garage - don’t want to scratch my bimmer and putting kid in the car seat is a tight awkward squeeze.
Wife’s car is sitting there just begging to be driven. She’s not using it most days as she’s working from home during Covid.
Problem is- there have been a few times I’ve driven our kid to daycare on days she needed the car to go to an important meeting at the office. I’ve left her totally high and dry and entirely late for a meeting. I thought I was doing her a favor by dropping off our daughter but just made it way worse by taking her car. I’ve done this twice.
And a few other times to go play tennis on a Saturday morning when I thought she didn’t need the car and my game went long. Every time this happens she sees red. She says it’s crazy how entitled I feel to take her car without asking and not use one of the two cars I already have. I’m always sincerely apologetic. I suppose since we literally share everything else in our lives I am put off by the lack of sharing on her part regarding the car matter. I think it’s an over reaction on her end if I’m being entirely honest. Though I have a sneaking suspicion I may be the rear end in a top hat. Am I?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Hughlander posted:

AITA- I own 2 cars but prefer to drive my wife’s car and she’s not happy about it.

BMW owner: rear end in a top hat
3 cars: guillotine

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

wizardofloneliness posted:

I'm sorry, but what the gently caress

I remember a tweet mentioning how some weirdo used btw like:
"you can tell how someone smokes btw they hold their pencil"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hughlander posted:

We share everything (except his two other cars which she apparently isn't allowed to drive.)

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

muscles like this! posted:

We share everything (except his two other cars which she apparently isn't allowed to drive.)

According to comments one is a manual, which she doesn't know how to drive, and the other is too high off the ground for her to easily get in and out because she is 6 months pregnant.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for kicking out a guy who peed in my shower?

https://i.imgur.com/dRLKvYJ.gifv

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Hughlander posted:

Sell your two exemplars of Fine German Engineering and get some sort of car that is actually useful and you’re not afraid of dinging up? Hell, you’re probably most of the way to buying another Mach E if that’s what floats your boat.

Or just stop making up excuses to steal your wife’s car and drive your own drat car.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for pranking my struggling friend with a fake lottery ticket

You trusted me? You fool! That's hilarious!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Im glad foreigners know alabama is the bottom of the world

Hey, it is not! It's ALMOST the bottom. Alabama clings to Mississippi being worse than it. Our motto is "at least we're not Mississippi!"

(And Mississippi's is "At least we're not West Virginia.")

((please save me from this hell))

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gnoman posted:

No they haven't. A detailed description of the accident, including the fact that the engineers tried to warn it would happen and were overruled by the suits, was in my school science textbook. In the 90s.

IIRC part of this was that a big part of Reagan's SOTU speech was that he was going to talk live with McAuliffe while she was in orbit and the engineers kept saying to scrub the launch so the political appointees overruled them because they didn't want to mess up the pagentry of the SOTU.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Invisible Clergy posted:

BMW owner: rear end in a top hat
3 cars: guillotine

His one car is over 20 years old, the other is 30 years old. He needs to just get over himself and sell the cars that are too precious to drive.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Tenkaris posted:

I’ve seen the same story a bunch of times about bartenders who respond to requests for Irish car bombs by putting down two shots and then setting them on fire and calling it the twin towers? Something close to that, just beautiful turnabout cultural insensitivity

I never thought the Twin Towers could be turned into a drink but that's awesome.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for not wanting to be a chef

quote:

I am not great with cooking and never have been or want to. I didn't do any cooking as a child and never learnt to do it growing up.

I moved in to live with my boyfriend last summer and he mostly does the cooking apart from when we eat out etc. etc. He has since we moved in together been trying to get me to do more cooking and tried to teach me and I have no interest in learning it and cooking isn't pleasant as an experience to me. He isn't a good teacher and he doesn't make it fun so I don't see why he keeps wanting to do it again and again. It doesn't seem exciting to me just a time waster.

I have spoken to my boyfriend and said that the experience of cooking isn't a pleasant one and I would rather just not be good at cooking but he doesn't think it's possible and will not give up no matter what I say. I have no choice but to be an rear end in a top hat but does it make me an rear end in a top hat if he forces me to choose the rear end in a top hat route by not listening?

I have had no choice but to be deliberatly frustrating to teach to try and make it less interesting to him and whenever he asks me to buy ingredients to teach I forget them or get slightly wrong like instead of mushrooms I get brown mushrooms etc. Etc. I have also added lots of extra salt to food and overflew pans of water and added mayonnaise to different things. This is very frustrating to my boyfriend because he can't teach the recipes he wants to and he might lose interest. I think maybe this makes me an rear end in a top hat but is it still the rear end in a top hat if I tried not being and it shortens the issue?

Apparently cooking basic meals is being a "chef" now. Who'da thunk it!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"Oh, cooking? You mean emptying a jar of mayo onto a plate, right? That's what cooking means"

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for not wanting to be a chef

Apparently cooking basic meals is being a "chef" now. Who'da thunk it!

Real deep cut here, but I’m fascinated by this person whose approach to things she doesn’t like roughly tracks with the WWI era “if we make war as awful and disgusting as possible, it’ll make the leaders want to be done with it faster” concept. I can’t wait to see what the cooking equivalent of chlorine gas and trench warfare is.

Also obvious flaw here: He’s more likely to get frustrated and double down because his goal seems to be “not having to do all the loving cooking here” and giving up doesn’t accomplish that goal. Which basically tracks with the same analogy as above.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
People who can't eve feed themselves, and have no desire to learn are just the worst. It's the most pure example of being a selfish brat, and a sign to :sever:.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I want to have updates to what she escalates to. I'm imagining the recipe calls for a pinch of salt and she just dumps in a few cups worth while saying "oops". She is told to cook rice but uses water and mayo. Just the bizarre crimes against humanity she makes to get out of cooking.

Who knows, maybe she'll find something wonderful like the proverbial monkey on a typewriter.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I can see not wanting to put the insane amount of care and effort into every meal that people like my roommate do, but it is seriously not that hard nor time consuming to make basic poo poo like spaghetti and burritos and whatnot

Like, I’m no Michelin chef or whatever, but it takes like twenty minutes for me to whip up a tasty bowl of chicken Alfredo

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It turns out that he has to have Tarkov, but no, he has to have the $130 Collector's Edition.

Holy crap, from (thankfully, low) in the replies:

As soon as I saw the price I knew exactly what was behind that spoiler

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

sullat posted:

IIRC part of this was that a big part of Reagan's SOTU speech was that he was going to talk live with McAuliffe while she was in orbit and the engineers kept saying to scrub the launch so the political appointees overruled them because they didn't want to mess up the pagentry of the SOTU.

I've never heard this part before, but I also immediately believe it was ultimately Reagan's fault, because of course it was.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Pleads posted:

Asking is I guess fine-ish (at least they asked!), but when being denied if your immediate responses is WOW I GUESS I KNOW WHO WEARS THE PANTS IN THE RELATIONSHIP to your employee you can gently caress right off.

Nope. It’s never OK for a boss to ask an employee for a favor.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

limp_cheese posted:

I never thought the Twin Towers could be turned into a drink but that's awesome.

Back in college I'd whip up a Manhattan using fireball and call it a 9-11. For a fancier version I'd use ghost chili infused whiskey.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Soylent Pudding posted:

Back in college I'd whip up a Manhattan using fireball and call it a 9-11. For a fancier version I'd use ghost chili infused whiskey.

Please tell me the brand of this whiskey.

Also if you like cauterizing your throat when you drink you should try an Atomic Pickleback: a pickleback comprised of a shot of fireball followed by a shot of jalapeno brine.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I (29M) have a "friend" (27F) who refuses to take down photos of me in active addiction.

quote:

Hi all,

Going to keep details vague because this is already a toxic situation and the last thing I need is more stress right now.

As the title says, someone I considered a friend once is refusing to take down images of me from her social media where I am clearly high. I struggled very badly with drug addiction for about 6-7 years of my life and recently got clean two years ago. I have maintained sobriety, got involved with a local recovery group, and am actively trying to rebuild my life and move away from the person I used to be.

The photos in question were brought to my attention by other friends when "Sam" (friend with the photos) shared one of those old facebook memory posts. I was in the photo and completely strung out. I look sick and seeing myself that way again made me feel physically sick. I reached out to Sam and asked her to please remove the photo of me because it made me uncomfortable and I don't want my image to be associated with drugs like that anymore. Her response was a bit defensive but in the end she removed the photo. Or so I thought.

A month later two friends message me asking what's up with Sam's post. I was confused and when they tried to send me the link it appeared "broken". I found out that happens when someones privacy settings dont allow you to view the post. Sam never removed the photo of me, she just changed the privacy on the album so I could no longer see it. But everyone else can apparently. It was then that I also found out there are several other photos of me either high or holding paraphernalia on her social media. They are in an old album of party photos she has back from when we all hung out AKA used together. She regularly will share memories/old photos from this album so I know she hasn't just forgotten its there or not looked at it in years.

I am really really upset and angry at this person. She was always kind of a party girl and needed to be the center of attention but I had hoped now that we are almost 30 she would have grown up a bit. I dont understand her need to keep these photos of me around when I have made it clear I do not wish for them to be up. Addiction is not glamorous. It is not an episode of Euphoria. It's horrible and I was a lovely person to everyone around me because of it. I lost people who I will never get back. Getting clean was the hardest thing I have ever had to do and now that I am, I don't want these sorts of reminders pulling me back.

I am at a loss for what to do right now. I don't understand what her angle is or what she gains from this situation. I would find it hard to justify keeping a photo of someone up on my social media if I knew it was causing them pain or distress. It just seems cruel and malicious to me.

I really need advice on how to approach this. It's weighing heavily on me and I am finding myself reliving some memories because of these photos that I don't want to touch again.

TLDR: I asked someone who used to be a friend to please remove photos of me where I am high, they lied about removing it and several other photos and are continuing to share these posts as "fun memories".

These are the trashfires that I enjoy warming my cockles of my heart to.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for refusing to clean the bed and causing my husband to sleep on the floor?

quote:

EDIT: repost cause I accidently deleted the first one and the issue still stands.

My f34 husband m32 has a medical condition (heart problems) and we sleep separately, he sleeps in the bedroom while I am on the couch.

he's become partially reliant on me to care for him wether it be cleaning, cooking for him, supervising his medication intake and managing side effects. He's on a number of medications and one of them causes excessive urination (it is essentially to treat the swelling of his feet and abdomen) as a result he urines a lot which's an issue cause he just keeps wetting the bed. Previoysly, he was catheterized so I didn't worry about the bed wetting issue, but he went against the doctor's recommendation and had the catheter taken out and the problem of him wetting the bed started. As a reasonable alternative to taking the catheter out, adult diapers had been recommended but he was 100% against it. We had arguments about it cause it wasn't like he had an allergy preventing him from using diapers.

He promised he'd be careful but every time he'd end up wetting the bed and expecting me to clean it, clean everything the sheets, the mattress, the floor even. So far I've cleaned the bed for over 40+ times middle of the night and he still said no whenever I urge him to just wear diapers.

It all came to head nights ago, he woke me up shouting from the bedroom that he wet the bed again and needed me to get up and clean it right then, I'm talking 2am!. I expected that and was maddened so I ignored him and remained sleeping. He kept shouting demanding I come clean up then started calling my phone but I turned it off.

I got up at 6, found him sleeping on the floor on a spare mattress and the bed was a mess, he woke up and blew up at me calling me nasty and heartless for not rushing to help and clean up the bed for him after he wetted it. I stated that it was his fault for refusing to wear diapers after willingly removing the catheter. He yelled saying the catheter thing caused him suffering, then said he'd never wear diapers cause of his "hurt ego" and "manhood", also said I had a job and I neglected it and acted petty by punishing him this way and causing him to sleep on the floor.

I said I was done doing unnecessary chore in the middle of nigh almost every night when he could just use diapers, he was astonished by what I said and called me a monster for enjoying his suffering like that then got SIL to come give me a stern talk about my attitude towards her brother cause her brother' is helpless.AITA?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tobermory posted:

The drink Black and Tan predates the Black and Tans by like 20 years, but yeah probably fine to just let it go due to convergent names having a baaaaaad association

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Mx. posted:

AITA for refusing to clean the bed and causing my husband to sleep on the floor?

Sounds like SIL can take her brother for a little while and see how she feels then.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Interesting, I happened to be on Discord with some similarly-aged friends (born in early 80s) and asked them about the Challenger. They all said "yeah in elementary/high school you get told it's an accident and then in college you take an engineering course and learn the truth." That's not what I experienced at all. I was taught early on that it was negligence and dismissing information due to political pressure, with more info about safety factors and risk management as I got old enough to understand it.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I wonder how much of that is just simplifying the message for young kids? "Accident" in the sense of "nobody deliberately planned it to blow up on live TV."

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wheatpuppy posted:

I wonder how much of that is just simplifying the message for young kids? "Accident" in the sense of "nobody deliberately planned it to blow up on live TV."

Reagan did though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mx. posted:

So according to him it's not manly to wear diapers but it is manly to wet the bed every night and to scream until your mommy-wife comes to change you and replace your wet sheets