Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Cinnamon bread just finished in the bread machine and the whole house smells AMAZING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

gently caress. I just saw Sydney Poitier died.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I remember when the bottom fell out on all the ‘X’ Hero games and you could get full bundles for like 20 bucks. The coupons forum helped me get the Beatles Rock Band and DJ Hero for something like 60 dollars.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bird in a Blender posted:

gently caress. I just saw Sydney Poitier died.

Seriously, how are people days late on this?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sidney Poitier is one of those guys who i would always think died in like 1991 before learning he was still alive

anyway RIP

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Hard to fell bad for the loss of folks like Poitier or Betty White. They lived long, prosperous, charmed lives while seemingly being incredibly decent people. Sign me up for that.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Alaois posted:

Sidney Poitier is one of those guys who i would always think died in like 1991 before learning he was still alive

anyway RIP

Same. I had no idea he was still alive. Hm.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Hard to fell bad for the loss of folks like Poitier or Betty White. They lived long, prosperous, charmed lives while seemingly being incredibly decent people. Sign me up for that.

Seriously, that's quite a life. Kind of amazing he wasn't nominated for In The Heat of the Night, given that his costar Rod Steiger won Best Actor for it and the film won Best Picture. Still, he got to do this:

https://youtu.be/2UrB8TI5El4

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Seriously, how are people days late on this?

I know because I've had the Ice Cube line I once knew a bitch who got Slapped reverberating in my head for those days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aixV4KmAsb4

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I always find it weird when normies bemoan old celebrity deaths as a 'tragedy,' like 'oh no, this incredibly rich and talented person lived forever and died after a fulfilling life how awful.'

My partner at work was upset Betty White died and I was like, c'mon, she was loving 99 and like, cognitively with it until the end. There is no better way to go. It was time. It's fine.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I mean…you can understand that someone lead a good life and also be upset that they died.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I mean…you can understand that someone lead a good life and also be upset that they died.

Sure, but treating it like a tragedy is pretty silly.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
“Who cares when anyone dies. Ultimately it’s all random nothingness” - Guy at work

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Joey Freshwater posted:

Of course you can. Maybe it's to your credit if you are. Personally, I don't understand why you would be.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

LeeMajors posted:

I always find it weird when normies bemoan old celebrity deaths as a 'tragedy,' like 'oh no, this incredibly rich and talented person lived forever and died after a fulfilling life how awful.'

My partner at work was upset Betty White died and I was like, c'mon, she was loving 99 and like, cognitively with it until the end. There is no better way to go. It was time. It's fine.

Amy Pole Her posted:

“Who cares when anyone dies. Ultimately it’s all random nothingness” - Guy at work

These are comparable ideas?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Amy Pole Her posted:

I obviously don't feel that way.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Does anyone know that website that sells discounted Xbox Live and Playstation Plus subscriptions? I can't seem to remember it.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

wandler20 posted:

Does anyone know that website that sells discounted Xbox Live and Playstation Plus subscriptions? I can't seem to remember it.

https://www.cdkeys.com/ has them often. You can also keep an eye on https://slickdeals.net/ and set up notifications there.

edit: Such as this.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

The Puppy Bowl posted:

These are comparable ideas?

Yup, pretty clearly, too. They follow the same logic.
Edit obviously one is more extreme

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 8, 2022

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Amy Pole Her posted:

Let me tell you about optimistic nihilism

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I remember Paul Walker and Nelson Mandela dying in the same week and I felt more sad about Paul Walker because he was only like 40 years old and Nelson Mandela was 90.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it was sad when Kirk Douglas died because it meant you couldn't go "holy poo poo Kirk Douglas is still alive???" anymore

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Samadhi posted:

https://www.cdkeys.com/ has them often. You can also keep an eye on https://slickdeals.net/ and set up notifications there.

edit: Such as this.

That's it, thanks!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Amy Pole Her posted:

They don't, actually. Maybe even the opposite logic.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Alaois posted:

it was sad when Kirk Douglas died because it meant you couldn't go "holy poo poo Kirk Douglas is still alive???" anymore

People are going to be upset when Kissinger dies and they can't use him as a "he outlived X" meme anymore

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I think I still have a couple of sets of Game Cube bongos for Donkey Konga. I am sure they are worth nothing as that was just a scheme to give children RSI from hitting a plastic drum a million times.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

People can be weird about death - I think glibness to it is just a defense mechanism for not wanting to think about it. It's also ok to celebrate a good, long life and to lament the end of one cut short.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
It's really weird not having you with the av of shame and GD having it

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its Rinaldo posted:

It's really weird not having you with the av of shame and GD having it

It was really weird the first day he had it because i opened a thread and thought I was going mad because I didn't remember posting something - then I realised it was GD posting.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Amy Pole Her posted:

I have no idea how to start unpacking your logic here. Maybe when you're condescending to someone who spends their work day in an ambulance on matters of death it's time for some introspection.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Speaking of the dead I'm glad my mom pushed my grandparents memorial service back to next weekend because flooding is loving things up their area. She also agreed to give me the painting I want, which is the only thing from grandma and grandpa's I want. Now we're waiting for probate to clear before selling the house and splitting things per my grandparents wishes. I do wish they had done a "baby sister gets x amount at 18, 21 and 25" thing in their will since she will get a huge amount of money straight at 18.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I have no idea how to start unpacking your logic here. Maybe when you're condescending to someone who spends their work day in an ambulance on matters of death it's time for some introspection.

It was taking a common defense mechanism in response to death to the extreme degree, but “sure” to whatever your point is.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Its Rinaldo posted:

Let me tell you about optimistic nihilism

Eat Arby’s

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My grandpa is 99 like Betty White but cognitively is on his way out. He can't recognize people anymore. He still remembers my mom, but has forgotten my dad (my parents have been married for almost 50 years). He's starting to forget his grandkids, and starts to cry a lot because he's forgetting things too :(

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

T-Square posted:

Eat Arby’s

That's just regular nihilism

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

seiferguy posted:

My grandpa is 99 like Betty White but cognitively is on his way out. He can't recognize people anymore. He still remembers my mom, but has forgotten my dad (my parents have been married for almost 50 years). He's starting to forget his grandkids, and starts to cry a lot because he's forgetting things too :(

This sucks rear end. I lost two grandparents to dementia and the third is well on her way. Currently at the ‘getting lawyers involved so she doesn’t get herself/other people killed’ stage, which is fun. At least the last two were kind in their forgetfulness, but my mothers mother is going full spite-mode.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I was invited to go here today.

https://twitter.com/wbtv_news/status/1479966213975511051?s=21

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Amy Pole Her posted:

It was taking a common defense mechanism in response to death to the extreme degree, but “sure” to whatever your point is.

I'll be the first to admit that my perspective on death is probably not a good example for all people to employ (because exposure certainly doesn't make me an expert), but I disagree that my suggestion that all deaths are not tragic has anything to do with a defense mechanism.

I promise there's some objectivity and nuance to my thought, even if I am a bit brain-poisoned by my work. Americans are profoundly lovely at talking about or dealing with end of life issues, and I think our collective inability to acknowledge that death is frequently very natural and not at all tragic is a symptom of that.

seiferguy posted:

This is very sad and terrifies me more than any manner of death. I'm very sorry. :(

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

T-Square posted:

Eat Arby’s

Lmao i forgot about this account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can simultaneously recognize that a person who lived to nearly 100, and lived well, and was wealthy and apparently cognitively healthy to the end, has lived a good life and got a nicer ending than the vast majority of people get: and also that's someone who you were fond of, and enjoyed experiencing new things they made or did, and feel sad that they're gone now and there will be no more new stuff from them. And maybe also on a more personal level, feel sad that a unique individual, their mind and thoughts and feelings and all that, have been utterly destroyed and wiped from the universe, and that's awful to contemplate no matter how old they were.

We don't get to live forever and if we did, we'd run out of resources and it'd be terrible, so obviously death is necessary at least as long as we're confined to this earth. It still sucks and I wish everyone cool and good could live forever, somehow, without horrific consequences. It's sad to me that they don't, and extremely tragic and awful that I won't either.

RIP betty white, you were cool and I wish I could have seen you do more stuff for more years.