Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Planet X posted:

What yall doin

Did Mackeral on Triscuits for lunch. Yours sound better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Planet X posted:

What yall doin

I'm not eating sardines because January is the family vegetarian month.

I'm still eating sardines in secret. don't tell Mrs isaboo or my kids

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Costco sardines from the tin over the sink as fast as I can before my 1 and 5 year old see me and demand I share.

naem
May 29, 2011

foreverrially dined up and loving it

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

6 year old scoots around the kitchen corner

"are you eating sar... deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeens?"

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Last week I made a Russian New Years feast for myself and some friends. There were a couple tins of sardines but also homemade mackerel escabeche, marinated anchovies, twelve kinds of pickles, two kinds of caviar, golubtsi (stuffed cabbage), smoked salmon devilled eggs, Olivier salad and kholodets (pork trotters jelly). All these count as dad foods in my mind and belong in this thread:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
tell me about those pickles

is that bread zopf? looks great

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
you drat right

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Woah you're getting mighty fancy there pal but I see the sink in the background so come on through

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Lol that's the whole dining room table right in the kitchen, and my perch for the night was indeed over the sink. Pickles were all quick-pickled:

Fennel and radishes with pink peppercorns and red wine vinegar

"BBQ" themed cucumber pickles with garlic, cumin seed, ketchup, apple cider vinegar

Szechuan green beans with sesame oil, ginger, garlic and rice wine vinegar

Masala cabbage with cardamom, turmeric, cumin, a million other spices

White anchovies marinated in the fennel/radish liquid with olive oil

Traditional kosher style dills with fennel, juniper berry and celery seed

And somebody else brought marinated mushrooms and pickled asparagus.

The bread was challah and "Russian black bread" from Whole Foods. The black bread was a rye with poppy seeds and both were infinitely better than if I'd tried to make them myself

naem
May 29, 2011

Nostrovia!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Soul Dentist posted:

White anchovies marinated in the fennel/radish liquid with olive oil

HELLO

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I'm so excited for leftover pickles and sardines when I'm off work tonight

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I love the Coors Light mixed in there to keep it real :)

Man all of that sounds so good

My wife makes a pickle with fennel, peppercorn, orange rind and I forget what else. We take a can of smoked herring / kippers and cream those in with some butter and smear it on a cracker and put the pickle on top

All aboard the pickle train :bandwagon:

Planet X fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 8, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
С наступившим Новым Голом!

Wouldn't be dadly if there wasn't beer. Also extra points for being able to keep it on the back porch for the perfect blue-mountain temperature

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I have been on a budget that doesn't allow for fancy dines except for the two cans of Bela I have left from a discount last month-

saw someone mention the Bar Harbor Pepper Mackerel upthread and I can confirm that it's decent and inexpensive (the can is huge!)- also got a can of their sardines in water, but have not cracked it open yet

We don't have a lot of stores that sell sardines in my town- the cheap brands, KO and maybe Season or Wild Planet can be found at most stores- there's also a ton of a Filipino brand I can't remember at the Asian supermarket in the city, but that's a whole trip

Never thought to try World Market for some reason- will have to check it out tomorrow!

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

my world market doesn't have anything from Portugal! Lots of Spanish and Baltic dines tho so I got these:

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I recently heard that because most bars in Japan have toaster ovens, a can of sardines topped in various things and tossed in the toaster is a common snack. Trouble is, I can't actually find any recipes and the ones I attempted myself (mustard bread crumbs and pickled jalapeno slices) were lackluster. Y'all got any ideas?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Borscht posted:

I recently heard that because most bars in Japan have toaster ovens, a can of sardines topped in various things and tossed in the toaster is a common snack. Trouble is, I can't actually find any recipes and the ones I attempted myself (mustard bread crumbs and pickled jalapeno slices) were lackluster. Y'all got any ideas?

What kinda sardines did you use? When I think Japanese sardines I think the ones packed in miso, in which case, I think some ginger and green onion on top would do the trick. Sesame seeds too. You could try sprinkling panko on top but I dunno that sounds iffy.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
In my experience you're right on track because it just gets you a hot can of sardines. Restaurants have been just popping a tin and broiling it for a minute for years now. You always get a little pile of salt, some lemon wedges, "charred bread" and usually a smear of butter. And it's always like $16 for a single tin. Waste of money!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
How do people feel about Brunswick? They're on sale this week but are they worth getting?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
They're not great but of course they're worth getting. Mustard are best from them imo, unless the sale includes Kipper Snacks in which case you're in for a treat

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Guildenstern Mother posted:

How do people feel about Brunswick? They're on sale this week but are they worth getting?

There's only one sardine cannery in Canada and IIRC Brunswick is their premium brand. I haven't had a tin since this thread started 7 years ago. They were fine, I guess? I think it was better than the Bumblebee and Beach Cliff tins they also produce.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

MisterOblivious posted:

since this thread started 7 years ago.

Why did you do this to me

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
the original thread pushes the timeline back another 2 years or something. hth

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Peanut Butler posted:

my world market doesn't have anything from Portugal! Lots of Spanish and Baltic dines tho so I got these:

huh. i wonder of those rigas are sub "gold" or if riga golds just got some new packaging design

either way i wanna eat those oily nuggets

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

the brand is Baltic Gold so idk if that means they're lesser, or just a different brand

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

The Saucer Hovers posted:

huh. i wonder of those rigas are sub "gold" or if riga golds just got some new packaging design

either way i wanna eat those oily nuggets

They aren't substandard and the packaging isn't new. Jars aren't at widely available as the cans, and they might be a premium fish compared to the cans. The big jars are even bigger than the big cans of Riga Gold, which are already almost double the size of a standard sardine can.

Big jar, 250g

Big can, 240g. 168g (5.8oz drained)

Trader Joe's sardine can is 120g/86g 4.3/3oz

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Peanut Butler posted:

just a different brand

ah! they just look so similar!

:ok:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
sardine thread: is riga a brand or an appellation?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The Voice of Labor posted:

sardine thread: is riga a brand or an appellation?

Riga is the capital city of Latvia, and it's on the coast of the Baltic Sea, so it must be a fishing hub.

This thread's favorites are Riga Gold smoked sprats in the large, round black and gold cans, but "Riga Gold" is the brand name. Having recently visited a huge, well-stocked Russian market that opened right near me, there are multiple brands and varieties of different smoked sprats, sardines, and herring with "Riga" in the branding and/or similar can and jar designs.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i buy my riga gold brand latvian sprats in a jar

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
FINALLY made the Alton Brown avocado sardine toast that turned out. The trick was to get sardines in oil (from Costco). I always got them in water before and just couldn't stand them. The ones in oil were great. Completely different.

:yum:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Water packed fish is bad news mang

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
yeah, its the same for tuna or any other canned fish if you havent tried them in oil

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
first is eating fish packed in oil. next is embracing communism

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

it cost too much but its a fish i havent consumed before. anyone have experience?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

How much did it cost and how much does it like Mondays?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Voice of Labor posted:

first is eating fish packed in oil. next is embracing communism

Throw me in the oil soaked gulag. I've seen the light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

The Saucer Hovers posted:

it cost too much but its a fish i havent consumed before. anyone have experience?

idk what that will taste like but I used to can gar that I caught. It is super, super bony, so filleting it is just a fool's errand--but, if you cut it and pressure cook or pressure can it, then like all fish bones, they go soft and manageable.

Flavor wise, it's defiantly "seafood" but it's more like shark. Dense, meaty, a little chewy. I liked to chop it up and make croquettes with it.