Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

explosivo posted:

What do you mean by this? We're through three episodes in WWZ and I'm already level 20 playing on normal. wwz is the opposite of a grind to me because it's just fun to play, B4B actually felt like a grind because you need better cards to win and the gameplay wasn't fun.

You’re level 20 of a single class, every class levels up independently so if you’re the gunslinger and want to play the medic you’re back to level 1. Once you reach the end of the normal skill progression in a class you hit the “prestige” ranks which take a lot more money than the previous skills and give big bonuses, bonuses you need for harder difficulties. Every weapon also levels up independently of the others and you can only unlock the ability to buy the next level of a weapon by using it and it may not even spawn during an entire campaign.

Much like B4B it’s only really grindy if you want to get to the higher difficulties so if you’re just playing a few times it’s fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i also love pigeon, and, bible

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Perestroika posted:

It's pretty bad early on, but the trick to it is that its shots actually have a fairly substantial area of effect, especially once upgraded. Later on the screen is so filled with enemies that there'll always be some in its targeting area, and that's when it really starts to thin out those hordes before they can get close.

Absolutely haven't found a use for the bible yet, though.

Santa's Water just feels better in that regard to me. Throw a bunch of AoEs constantly that burn for a good duration with a few levels

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MMF Freeway posted:

yes and you may have already found some items to do so, but maybe not the place to turn them in yet

I've got two more rosary slots and found upgrades to (& more) bile vessels, two of the mea culpa shrines, and I've got the blood sand and shroud of dreamt sins upgrades

only boss I've fought is Ten Piedad... wonder if I've been wandering around too much instead of continuing in one direction

anyway i'm lost but the game rules, finally clicked this time. wish your default movement was faster tho

(e) oh ok there's the max health upgrade, uh, pickup. freaky as always

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 8, 2022

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I know Rise is right around the corner but I’m a newcomer to Monster Hunter World on PC if there’s anyone out there who for some reason wants to play it and has been waiting for a newbie friend to play it with.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Picked up Vampire Survivors, and wow where did the last hour go?

I got to the last 3 minutes of a library run with the character that starts with the bouncing projectile, but my damage wasn't high enough. I didn't realize that you only get 5 weapons and 5 passive upgrades! Makes it pretty interesting even when you get into a good groove, what a good design decision.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Begemot posted:

Picked up Vampire Survivors, and wow where did the last hour go?

I got to the last 3 minutes of a library run with the character that starts with the bouncing projectile, but my damage wasn't high enough. I didn't realize that you only get 5 weapons and 5 passive upgrades! Makes it pretty interesting even when you get into a good groove, what a good design decision.

Same here.
Very crunchy game

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Vampire survivors:

Some of the achievements say 'evolve <weapon>'

How do you do that?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Agent355 posted:

Vampire survivors:

Some of the achievements say 'evolve <weapon>'

How do you do that?

Get it to max level, then find a chest. They usually have some requirement for a passive upgrade too, like you have to have spinach to evolve the cross.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Begemot posted:

Get it to max level, then find a chest. They usually have some requirement for a passive upgrade too, like you have to have spinach to evolve the cross.

All weapons that evolve have a specific passive upgrade that is a requirement for the evolve to appear.

Axe + Candelabra
Cross + Clover
Fire Wand + Spinach
King Bible + Spellbinder
Knife + Gloves
Magic Wand + Tome
Whip + Hollow Heart

Most of them are miles stronger than the base version.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I've been playing Spellforce 2 (and its expansion Dragon Storm) the last few days and it makes me really appreciate Spellforce 3 a whole lot. Spellforce 2 really fall apart towards the end with the mission where you have to capture the depots being an absolute slog. Nothing like having to fight legions of necromancers summoning billions of skeletons and each one you kill a new necromancer and several more skeletons take its place. The final mission was likewise as lovely, with insta-kill towers, extremely powerful enemies and an end boss that has billions of health. Dragon Storm has the City Ship which is just a bunch of worthless tedium, it's probably the crappiest designed thing in any RTS ever developed. Running around interacting with terminals that have dozens of interaction options that branch out into dozens of more options then you have infinitely respawning enemies. I think I'm going to put it down, I just don't play these RTS games for puzzles that involve going through dozens of branching choices. Get an item then go through several menus to "calibrate" it and... lordy loving poo poo. Just have me interact with the unit to active it, why all this dumb poo poo?

I hope the next one is a sequel. Of all the races in all the games I found the Shaikan stuff to be most fun, even if the mechanics of their unit upgrades is busted (you have to spend a ton of silver to change the upgrade for your units instead of buying them then toggling it).

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 9, 2022

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Someone earlier said Pathfinder Kingmaker was good but had some flaws that were fixed by the bag of tricks mod. What settings should i change if I want a close to vanilla experience but without the design issues?

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Spaseman posted:

Someone earlier said Pathfinder Kingmaker was good but had some flaws that were fixed by the bag of tricks mod. What settings should i change if I want a close to vanilla experience but without the design issues?

I didn't play Kingmaker, but for Wrath of the Righteous I played vanilla for awhile and eventually certain things started to annoy me. I then changed those things using bag of tricks.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Spaseman posted:

Install the bag of tricks, play vanilla, and then decide anything you think is a waste of time. Personally for me the must haves are

-Remove Ration requirement
- Increase move speed
- Increase map move speed
- All party members move at the same speed
- Remove Inventory weight

Early one for some reason healing items are scare when in ttrpg pathfinder a 50 charge wand of Cure Light Wounds is 250 gold, so players always carry around like a dozen each for healing purposes.

Swarms are a huge "gently caress you learn the mechanics" bit that only comes up again near the end but can be immensely frustrating, so if stuck and mad, add in the items needed to overcome it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I think the whole tired/rest stuff in Pathfinder is awful but I'm probably in the minority

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I would also recommend finding a spoiler-free guide to kingdom stuff- you want it as easy as possible but not automatic (because engaging in it still gets you stuff), and I got burned out hard from trying to figure out and manage it even at that level. It has so many timesinks, gotchas, and hard-to-predict outcomes from choices that it skunked the whole thing for me.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I can't be the only who thought at first glance that this guy was riding some kind of grim fantasy motorcycle, right? Realising what I was actually looking at was a little disappointing, to be honest.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MMAgCh posted:

I can't be the only who thought at first glance that this guy was riding some kind of grim fantasy motorcycle, right? Realising what I was actually looking at was a little disappointing, to be honest.

Ghost ride the whip

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah in kingmaker i hugely increased my party move speed, party move speed on map, removed rations, that poo poo just wasnt fun but overall i had a really good time with the game. i love crunchy grognardy crpgs.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cinara posted:

All weapons that evolve have a specific passive upgrade that is a requirement for the evolve to appear.

Axe + Candelabra
Cross + Clover
Fire Wand + Spinach
King Bible + Spellbinder
Knife + Gloves
Magic Wand + Tome
Whip + Hollow Heart

Most of them are miles stronger than the base version.

That's slightly annoying, but I wonder if that's why I've never upgraded some of these items, didn't have the requisite passive upgrade.

What do the Whip and Knife get? I found the Uber wand and the axes so far. Both felt obscenely strong.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Evolved Bible is unbelievably powerful. That combined with the Garlic I was just a lawnmower blade of death and nothing could touch me. I always grab the pickup distance upgrades if I can, it's just so helpful being able to vacuum up the gems from far enough away that you don't have to go out of harm's way to get them.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Sab669 posted:

That's slightly annoying, but I wonder if that's why I've never upgraded some of these items, didn't have the requisite passive upgrade.

What do the Whip and Knife get? I found the Uber wand and the axes so far. Both felt obscenely strong.
Whip gets a crit chance and can drain health. Knife becomes a constant stream in the direction you're facing. They're pretty darn good.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I feel like with enough Cooldown Reduction they're practically already a stream of daggers :v:

My go-to so far has been the Whip, Candelabra, and Cooldown + whatever else I can get.

I just unlocked the Ebony Bird or whatever it's called, had a sweet run going with both Birds and was wrecking face but made a dumb mistake and got splattered by one of the big chest dropping things :(

Thanks to whoever it was who first recommended the game, came at a perfect time while working on my actual gaming PC.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Randomly had a craving for a good top-down rpg. Anyone have any recs? Games I've liked are Div 1/2, dragon age Origins, wasteland 3. Tried with the shadow run games but they haven't stuck.

Want fun combat first but preferably also a good story.

Pathfinder Kingmaker and Tyranny are on my radar but reviews caveat the combat in both and I want to be challenged but not frustrated.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sab669 posted:

whip gets increased range/strength, plus health drain

knife basically turns into an always-on gatling gun

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

5 evolved weapons in one run was ridic. Though tbf the Wand was only there for like half a minute

Artelier fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 9, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hwurmp posted:

Ghost ride the whip

:vince:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do I find a stone mask?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

PantsBandit posted:

Randomly had a craving for a good top-down rpg. Anyone have any recs? Games I've liked are Div 1/2, dragon age Origins, wasteland 3. Tried with the shadow run games but they haven't stuck.

Pathfinder Kingmaker and Tyranny are on my radar but reviews caveat the combat in both and I want to be challenged but not frustrated.

Tyranny is well worth a go. Combat isn't that bad actually, with plenty of options, multi-character tag team skills, and a cool spellmaker, but real-time-with-pause combined with short-ish cooldowns means that you spend too much time pausing to check on which cooldown comes back up when than anything else. It's far from perfect but it's really not that bad, there's really a fair few companions/skills to play with and ultimately, there aren't that many challenging fights in the game, so whenever one happens, it's not the end of the world to pause for a while to think and manage it. Plus, the game let my main character punch his way through it, and any game which allows me to play as a kung-fu monk in a completely unrelated setting gets extra points from me.

Kingmaker is... special... I'd say the first 20-30 hours are great. After that, kingdom management, loading screens and difficulty settings start eating a lot of the fun. See above posts for some tips on how to alleviate that with mods. I also ended up ticking the "everyone healed up and rezzed after combat" as debuff/death's door/death management was just a lot more loading screens in the end. And it's still a 100+h slog so be prepared for it if you go down that road.

Otherwise, random suggestion but maybe Temple of Elemental Evil? It's super cheap on GOG I think, it's old, it's janky, but it's pretty much all combat management in tackling one of the oldest dungeons from D&D's history.

Oh, and obviously, Icewind Dale if you don't mind AD&D 2nd Ed combat. It's like Baldur's Gate, but almost purely combat-focused. There is a story guiding you, but ultimately, it's all about dungeon crawling with some pretty scenic Infinity Engine backgrounds.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 9, 2022

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Tyranny is buggy trash, my run ended when the story started to become interested because it softlocked me out of progressing conversation.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I heard you nerds wanted to be informed about the AGDQ 2022 thread

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

How do I find a stone mask?

In the library keep walking in a direction and check the top. It's on the ground to pick up

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows
Cosmic Star Heroine

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Buller posted:

Tyranny is buggy trash, my run ended when the story started to become interested because it softlocked me out of progressing conversation.

I'd be interested to know how/when you managed that. I've played through 3 times once and even managed to accidentally leave the faction I joined in the endgame without causing problems for progression. It's definitely possible to screw up a run, but I haven't heard of anybody softlocking it.

Big issue with Tyranny is the endgame is really rushed, the budget clearly ran out before they could add a final chapter to the game. It's still there, but its very much a truncated version.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Played some Vampire Survivors and I gotta say, I'm really not a fan of how popular the "grind runs so you can get your stats up so you can actually play the game" mechanics have become. It's truly cancerous.

It did make me want to re-install Crimsonland though, so that's a good thing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I never had any issues with Tyranny. The combat isn't its strong suit but it was never frustrating.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Vampire Survivors is pretty fun even though I feel like I'm bad at it. Good recommendation!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Jack Trades posted:

Played some Vampire Survivors and I gotta say, I'm really not a fan of how popular the "grind runs so you can get your stats up so you can actually play the game" mechanics have become. It's truly cancerous.

"RPG" stat mentalities have affected everything. It used to be that you would play a game and you'd come across something in-world that would give you a new skill or ability. Now everything has to be XP and unlocks and all this bullshit, it's worse from a gameplay perspective, worse from an immersion perspective, and literally only is done because triggering the human reaction to number go up is an easier, more certain way to get people to think your game is good than making sure your design is actually interesting. It also does a lot to bail you out of needing to tune your difficulty and skill ramping well. I loving hate it.

Also, like half the things wrong with video games, it can be blamed on COD4, which was the first game to cram numbers constantly going up in your face in a genre that had absolutely no need for it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It was all downhill after high scores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Progression mechanics where they don’t belong is the bane of games. It’s great for vehicles, not for people, and not for weapons if it means a Level 2 Gladius is worse than a Level 60 Frozen Fish. Just let us have both be kickass murder weapons!