Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

I was hoping at least one of the swoops would use the design from the Kenner Shadows of the Empire toy line. Oh well, maybe next time.

It's hard to tell in the movie, but the Shadows of the Empire swoop was actually first designed for the Star Wars Special Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Is it the one that dodges the big rearing creature in Mos Eisley?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Robot Style posted:

It's hard to tell in the movie, but the Shadows of the Empire swoop was actually first designed for the Star Wars Special Edition.

Hah, that’s awesome.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
What's the difference between a swoop and a speeder bike anyway?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I figured swoops are like space-Harleys and speeder bikes are like space-Suzukis.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Swoop sounds cool. SOTE was where the term originated right? Then KOTOR really cemented it, and maybe BBF will fully canonize it?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

AOTC also had a swoop bike that Anakin rides to find his mother.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Swoop sounds cool. SOTE was where the term originated right? Then KOTOR really cemented it, and maybe BBF will fully canonize it?

I believe "swoop" is one of the things that Brian Daley invented in his Han Solo books from the 80s, and then stuck around when the EU proper started a decade later.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, IIRC in that book they're rigged to ride higher than normal speeders so it's more like you are flying. Also it's a pun on "soup" as in "souped up".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Robot Style posted:

There's also the Kintan Kings from SWTOR, which would line up with their gang symbol being a Huttese "K".

They've got little pictures of General Grievous on their jackets and bikes too, so they could be a gang of former Separatists.

i assume its because edgy in the context of the univers. like ww2 vet bikers dressed in german/nazi poo poo when they started gangs and poo poo for similar reasons. grivious is kinda of monster boogey of the galaxy too.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I'm pretty sure that's a Kintan strider skeleton, which fits with them being Nikto/from Kintan.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 7, 2022

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, that makes more sense. I was wondering why Grievous would be holding a keg of beer, but it's clearly a big club.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That is a cool detail. Well spotted.

Chronosynclast
Sep 29, 2021
Lately I've been doing some reading of Legends books that I missed the first time through.

Death Troopers: I'd hadn't heard good things about this one -- it was featured in the "let's read bad Stars Wars books" thread -- but I honestly didn't have that much of a problem with it. It was clearly trying to be a schlocky, B-grade zombie horror story, and it pretty much succeeded at that. I do think it made a mistake by bringing in Han and Chewie, since they're guaranteed to survive and this type of story gets its suspense out of the idea that even the main protagonists might die.

The New Rebellion: I've enjoyed other non-Star Wars books by the author, but this one didn't really work. I mean, some of the ideas were good -- reconstruction reaching the point where formerly Imperial worlds are being admitted to the New Republic prompting worries that their representatives might undermine the democracy by voting as a bloc feels like an inevitable conflict baked into the premise of the setting which was just waiting for a work to address it -- but the execution was too flawed. Leia came off as a hypocrite, and the main villain was just too cartoonishly over-the-top evil.

Before the Storm: Alright, this one was just outright bad. Luke's plotline about finding his mother is obviously complete bunk because of the prequels, Leia's plotline has her acting like a naive dupe. Lando's plotline is the closest to anything resembling interesting, but is also thus far completely unconnected to anything else going on. I do not consider this a promising start to the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chronosynclast posted:

Lately I've been doing some reading of Legends books that I missed the first time through.

Death Troopers: I'd hadn't heard good things about this one -- it was featured in the "let's read bad Stars Wars books" thread -- but I honestly didn't have that much of a problem with it. It was clearly trying to be a schlocky, B-grade zombie horror story, and it pretty much succeeded at that. I do think it made a mistake by bringing in Han and Chewie, since they're guaranteed to survive and this type of story gets its suspense out of the idea that even the main protagonists might die.

The same author wrote Maul: Lockdown, where he goes to space prison and kills like four people by headbutting them. He's definitely got a genre.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Robot Style posted:

The same author wrote Maul: Lockdown, where he goes to space prison and kills like four people by headbutting them. He's definitely got a genre.

that book's a real downhill slide imo

dude starts out killing a yuuzhan vong with his teeth and it just gets less cool with each fight

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

BFC is so weird because none of the the three plot threads really have anything to do with each other. So they’re like 3 different books slammed together and stretched into a trilogy.

I thought Maul: Lockdown was alright and liked it a lot better than Deathtroopers. The latter I didn’t care for much at all. I’ve heard Red Harvest is even worse.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Return of the Fungi :v:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Clearly the most useful thing to ever come out of a Kevin J. Anderson book :dadjoke:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Okay so I know the NuCanon is trash but I need to have something vetted.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Alpha-class_Xg-1_Star_Wing

The canon page says the Assault Gunboat, a ship made famous in the video game Tie Fighter and its sequels, and playable in the Xwing tabletop game as an Imperial craft, is actually flown by the Rebels in the current canon.

That can’t be right, can it?

Like, as a very long time fan of the old Xwing flightsim games, suddenly turning that ship into a rebel ship for no reason whatsoever is beyond asinine and makes me legit angry. I have killed (and been killed by) way, way too many of those things for me to just accept that oops it’s a rebel ship now.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 9, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xenomrph posted:

The canon page says the Assault Gunboat, a ship made famous in the video game Tie Fighter and its sequels, and playable in the Xwing tabletop game as an Imperial craft, is actually flown by the Rebels in the current canon.

Like, as a very long time fan of the old Xwing flightsim games, suddenly turning that ship into a rebel ship for no reason whatsoever is beyond asinine and makes me legit angry. I have killed (and been killed by) way, way too many of those things for me to just accept that oops it’s a rebel ship now.

Going down to the sources that reference it being flown by the Alliance, it seems that the excerpt comes from The Rebel Files source book. Most of the other "canon" references to the Assault Gunboat relate to its appearance in the X-Wing tabletop game where it is definitely an Imperial strike-fighter. But the tabletop game doesn't really have many official stories attached to it so ships that feature in X-Wing are canon but stuff they do doesn't get the same attention on the wiki as a written statement in an official guidebook. And I can believe that a few Starwings fell into the hands of the Rebellion at some point.

Imperial starfighter, a few got stolen by the Rebels, no other canon stories written so far featuring the gunboat as an antagonist, ergo the wiki page says it's a ship that served with the rebellion.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

the sidebar on that page notes that it's primarily affiliated with the empire; the main text is what it is because the only known use of the ship "on screen" (inasmuch as a reference book talking about losses at a battle is on screen) was the rebels using a stolen one

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Keep in mind that the people running Wookieepedia are extremely literal minded even by the low standards of Star Wars fans. If a file does not appear in their records, it does not exist. Therefore the Gunboat is and always has been an Alliance ship in Disney Canon until someone says otherwise. Because tabletop games explicitly saying it's an Imperial ship don't count unless they have an in-universe written statement backing up their claims.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arc Hammer posted:

Going down to the sources that reference it being flown by the Alliance, it seems that the excerpt comes from The Rebel Files source book. Most of the other "canon" references to the Assault Gunboat relate to its appearance in the X-Wing tabletop game where it is definitely an Imperial strike-fighter. But the tabletop game doesn't really have many official stories attached to it so ships that feature in X-Wing are canon but stuff they do doesn't get the same attention on the wiki as a written statement in an official guidebook. And I can believe that a few Starwings fell into the hands of the Rebellion at some point.

Imperial starfighter, a few got stolen by the Rebels, no other canon stories written so far featuring the gunboat as an antagonist, ergo the wiki page says it's a ship that served with the rebellion.
Apparently the Fantasy Flight RPG as recently as 2020 has noted it as an Imperial ship, too.

Arc Hammer posted:

Keep in mind that the people running Wookieepedia are extremely literal minded even by the low standards of Star Wars fans. If a file does not appear in their records, it does not exist. Therefore the Gunboat is and always has been an Alliance ship in Disney Canon until someone says otherwise. Because tabletop games explicitly saying it's an Imperial ship don't count unless they have an in-universe written statement backing up their claims.
So it's less a problem of the NuCanon being trash and more a problem of Wookeepedia editors not understanding what they're reading. That makes me feel a little bit better.

Either way the wording on the wiki is trash, so I went ahead and fixed it. Let's see how long it sticks!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

So it's less a problem of the NuCanon being trash and more a problem of Wookeepedia editors not understanding what they're reading. That makes me feel a little bit better.

Either way the wording on the wiki is trash, so I went ahead and fixed it. Let's see how long it sticks!

you have to imagine that 99% of the people who care about new canon enough to write an entirely new wiki on top of the old one are even more literally-minded than the average wookieepedia editor was in the legends era

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I am curious about who the average Wookieepedia editor is these days, given the site is almost 17 (!) years old now and I have to imagine a lot of the old guard who really built it up aren't around any more. I always felt like hardcore wiki editors were more common in 90s/early 00s fan culture.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jazerus posted:

you have to imagine that 99% of the people who care about new canon enough to write an entirely new wiki on top of the old one are even more literally-minded than the average wookieepedia editor was in the legends era
You'd better goddamn believe I'm going to defend this edit to the death, at the expense of all other aspects of my life. There's a lot of stupid retcon poo poo that NuCanon did that I didn't like (killing Hobbie, erasing Keyan Farlander as the Y-wing survivor at Yavin, creating a stand-in for Wraith Squadron instead of just making Wraith Squadron canon again), but flip-flopping the Assault Gunboat's affiliation, *especially* based on a lovely reading of the text, is beyond the pale in my book.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Xenomrph posted:

You'd better goddamn believe I'm going to defend this edit to the death, at the expense of all other aspects of my life. There's a lot of stupid retcon poo poo that NuCanon did that I didn't like (killing Hobbie

WHAT

EDIT: I'm starting to think something needs to be done about all these so-called "reference books."

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 10, 2022

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

I am curious about who the average Wookieepedia editor is these days, given the site is almost 17 (!) years old now and I have to imagine a lot of the old guard who really built it up aren't around any more. I always felt like hardcore wiki editors were more common in 90s/early 00s fan culture.

All I know is a couple of the old guard got kicked out when they refused to let an artist change the dead name on their Wookieepedia entry. Good riddance.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

All I know is a couple of the old guard got kicked out when they refused to let an artist change the dead name on their Wookieepedia entry. Good riddance.

I used to be active on Wookieepedia for the first few years it was around, and seeing those names, it doesn't surprise me at all. Two of the biggest assholes to ever get power-hungry off of administering a nerd website. They're big reasons why Wookieepedia became such a cabal of pedantic-minded literalists, especially because they tended to ban anyone they disliked, or even made a simple mistake in editing, at the drop of a hat.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Rochallor posted:

WHAT

EDIT: I'm starting to think something needs to be done about all these so-called "reference books."

Yeah, Hobbie’s death in the new EU was confirmed in the second From a Certain Point of View book. It’s slightly made up for by the story it’s from, Rendezvous Point by Jason Fry, being very good and having a bunch of references to the old EU and old version of Rogue Squadron, including a bunch of pilot names and histories as they rebuild Red Squadron after Hoth, plus Janson being a joker, and a veiled reference to “Yub yub commander”.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

hobbie is flying starfighters on an adumar upstate

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, Hobbie’s death in the new EU was confirmed in the second From a Certain Point of View book. It’s slightly made up for by the story it’s from, Rendezvous Point by Jason Fry, being very good and having a bunch of references to the old EU and old version of Rogue Squadron, including a bunch of pilot names and histories as they rebuild Red Squadron after Hoth, plus Janson being a joker, and a veiled reference to “Yub yub commander”.

Hobbie ain’t dead in MY canon, and that’s the only canon that matters :toughguy:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Xenomrph posted:

Hobbie ain’t dead in MY canon, and that’s the only canon that matters :toughguy:

:hmmyes: Can’t argue with that.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Starfighters of Adumar is the perfect little Star Wars side story.

I reread it every couple of years and it holds up so well.

The character's, the banter, the swashbuckling, the stakes being high for the characters but not galaxy changing... it's even got kind of a meta commentary going on about how far the EU is going, being about a primary EU character in Wedge dealing with his history and wondering what future he could possibly have- there's no challenges left and things are just getting absurd for him. Also, "if you keep mapping the unknown regions, you'll have to change the name."

Plus it's just effortlessly funny.
"Tell me you're not putting us in womens clothing."
"Very well. I'm not putting us in womens clothing."

*Chapter break*

"You lied to me."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

fartknocker posted:

From a Certain Point of View book.
Treating thee as canon is one if the things that drives me nuts about Wookieepedia as applied to the Disney era. It's literally an equivocation dodging the fact that Kenobi flat out lied to Luke because George didn't care about retconning stuff for impact. It's shorthand for "you're about to hear some bullshit".

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Arquinsiel posted:

Treating thee as canon is one if the things that drives me nuts about Wookieepedia as applied to the Disney era. It's literally an equivocation dodging the fact that Kenobi flat out lied to Luke because George didn't care about retconning stuff for impact. It's shorthand for "you're about to hear some bullshit".

…uh, okay?

The books are still pretty good short story collections and the second one has one by a goon author as well. For stuff that is basically modern takes on the old Tales collection books, I enjoy them quite a bit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're fun, but they are intended to be taken in the same spirit as the old Infinities comics, which Wookieepedia also had trouble handling. It's why you can find articles for every version of any given ship that was released for Armada as if they weren't just game mechanics for variety in the starter box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Arquinsiel posted:

They're fun, but they are intended to be taken in the same spirit as the old Infinities comics, which Wookieepedia also had trouble handling. It's why you can find articles for every version of any given ship that was released for Armada as if they weren't just game mechanics for variety in the starter box.

By the same token, Wookieepedia is not to be taken seriously. I mean, look at its name. It's where you go to find background info on a character you're curious about, or an event you don't quite remember, or where something fits into a timeline. But don't use it as some sort of holy scripture on what is and isn't canon. Use your own brain for that. No one will ever really agree on canon, so don't try to make it work. It's like Ned Flanders saying he should have been Raptured, because he did everything the Bible said, "I even did all the things that contradict all the other things" (or whatever the exact quote is).

Wookieepedia is silly fun, run by lunatics.