Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I got quoted multiple times, I was pretty surprised to see that.

Also hit me with that Endwalker probe too.

e - List comparison.

10. New Pokemon Snap (18)
9. Elona (Not listed)
8. Atelier Ryza 2 (Not listed)
7. Monster Rancher 2 DX (Not listed)
6. NEO: TWEWY (25)
5. Path of Wuxia (Not listed)
4. SMT5 (8)
3. GG Strive (11)
2. The Great Ace Attorney )7)
1. Endwalker (1)

5 top 20's, 4 not listed and NEO TWEWY. Guess I'm only half mainstream.

Mysticblade fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

VideoGames posted:

I am handing out Endwalker probes for those who want them. :)

For those we can yet save

E: yes please

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Endwalk probe me, thanks.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why are people being probed over Endwalker?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Well I was sick and mostly offline for the most important posting of the year so gently caress me I guess. Good for Endwalker, happy for it, will be getting into it soon myself so it might appear on my list next year! Or maybe not, who knows?

VideoGames posted:

66. DYSON SPHERE PROGRAM
(Youthcat)
31 points, listed 5 times

I’m not sure what that has to do with video games MsA but you do you girl

Actually it's other people I shall be doing :smug:

Rarity posted:

55. BLUE REFLECTION: SECOND LIGHT
(Gust)
36 points, listed 4 times, #1 1 time

cheetah, I am loving sold.

Same, went to look, slapped it on my wishlist right away.

Rarity posted:

Big lady no step on me :(

I'm sorry Rarity, I can come down your way sometime in March if that works :(

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why are people being probed over Endwalker?

just clearing the backlog of people who have ever made critical posts about ff14

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy
I want to thank everyone who posted in this thread, I know what games I'm going to be playing through 2022 because of y'all!

Also, it's easier to get a PS5 than it is to play FF14 on a trial account right now. After waiting for the holiday trial lockdown to lift, then installing, then waiting for maintenance and patches, I tried to play it. I managed to create a character, but I have yet to see gameplay after two hours of trying between two days. It doesn't let you switch servers to find one with a lower load until a certain point, and if you have the trial version it doesn't let you queue and wait either. It just kicks you out of the entire game and back to the browser if there isn't a slot immediately available for you, and you have to reboot the game for another attempt.

This is a warning.

Rant (spoilered for negativity) :
FF14 has crash-landed both 1st and 2nd impressions so far, and can kiss my rear end. I'm in a JRPG mood, willing to give MMOs another try, and am willing to put up with "it gets good after 40 hours" bullshit. But even I can't. This is already a high-maintenance relationship and I'm not even IN IT YET. Is this game abusing you all? Is it No. 1 because you're afraid to say anything else? Are you all just desperately telling yourselves that, "no, I really love it and it loves me" because the truth would be too heartbreaking?
Blink once for yes, twice for no.

On the BRIGHT SIDE, NOT playing it got me to fire up my first Dragon Quest game in 33 years AND I LOVE IT! DQ11 is a celebration of the comforting popcorn JRPG! All's well that ends well.

Dragon Quest XI S will never hurt you. :slime:

edit because I just discovered we have a slime emote
2nd edit to remove spoiler tags from the last line. DQ11 has nothing to hide.

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 9, 2022

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Once again I ran my own tally to answer a few questions I had. As a note, I may have missed a vote or two or excluded a malformed vote that did make it into the official total (along with including at least one vote which wasn't included in the official total). With the incredibly flat point distribution this year, that means a few games have moved around (along with my count not handling ties).

This year, I counted 196 votes (up from 180) casting a total of 10,130 points (up from 9325 last year).

37.5% of all points were awarded to games that didn't make it into the top 75. 19.6% were for games only listed by one person. This is up from 33.5% and 16.3% last year, respectively. This is, as always, where the really good recommendations are, as they're the games you haven't heard of and the ones people loved enough to give serious points to.

For someone who didn't take that to heart, we have this year's GOONIEST GOON Barreft, who's top 5 was only 7 places from the aggregate ranking.

Barreft posted:

5. Psychonauts 2
Never expected it to live up to the hype in my head after the first one, but welp

4. Disco Elysium: Final Cut
Game of all time.

3. SMTV
Just a great demon Pokemon game, I love that the random encounters are gone.

2. Metroid Dread
This game is loving incredible, I've played it 3 times, it's just so fun, fast and smooth. And the EMMIs and bosses still mess me up, I love it. Would be my GOTY but,

1. FFXIV Endwalker
Everyone's said what's needed to be said.

Games that punched the most above/below their weight (i.e. would have lost/gained the most points if every vote game the same number of points)

Final Fantasy XIV (#1), with 60 votes at an average rank of 1.7
Metroid Dread (#2), with 59 votes at an average rank of 4.4
Disco Elysium (#4), with 26 votes at an average rank of 2.8
Psychonauts 2 (#3), with 32 votes at an average rank of 4
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (#9), with 22 votes at an average rank of 3.4
Shin Megami Tensei V (#8), with 27 votes at an average rank of 4.1
Hades (#5), with 31 votes at an average rank of 4.4
Monster Hunter Rise (#6), with 31 votes at an average rank of 4.5
Deltarune (#12), with 22 votes at an average rank of 4
Guilty Gear Strive (#11), with 24 votes at an average rank of 4.3

Garden Story, with 3 votes at an average rank of 8.7
Lake, with 3 votes at an average rank of 9.0
Humankind, with 3 votes at an average rank of 9.0
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, with 4 votes at an average rank of 8.3
Death's Door, with 4 votes at an average rank of 8.3
Quake, with 5 votes at an average rank of 7.8
Yakuza 4, with 3 votes at an average rank of 9.7
Monster Sanctuary, with 5 votes at an average rank of 8.4
The Good Life, with 5 votes at an average rank of 9.0
Loop Hero, with 7 votes at an average rank of 8.7

And finally, the BIG COOL CHART

As a lot of people guessed, there does seem to be a stronger representation of older games this year, with almost all of last year's top 20 carrying over and even some Lazarus taxons from 2019 like Sekiro, Baba, and Hollow Knight.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is very cute.

Mods, could I have a probe with this image?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what game(s) had only 1 vote and at the lowest place?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

xoFcitcrA posted:

Also, it's easier to get a PS5 than it is to play FF14 on a trial account right now. After waiting for the holiday trial lockdown to lift, then installing, then waiting for maintenance and patches, I tried to play it. I managed to create a character, but I have yet to see gameplay after two hours of trying between two days. It doesn't let you switch servers to find one with a lower load until a certain point, and if you have the trial version it doesn't let you queue and wait either. It just kicks you out of the entire game and back to the browser if there isn't a slot immediately available for you, and you have to reboot the game for another attempt.

Eorzea's full. I suggest you play Blue Reflection: Second Light in the meantime

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Khanstant posted:

what game(s) had only 1 vote and at the lowest place?

All these games were one votes and at number 10 on people's lists. (I just grabbed all the games listed as having 1 point from Rarity's list earlier, any trees people listed below 10 had no points and weren't listed).

quote:

Batman: Arkham Knight (Rocksteady), BlackChain (Borington), Bomber Crew (Runner Duck), Bonfire Peaks (Draknek), Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Treyarch), Collection of SaGa (Square Enix), Dorfromantik (Toukana), E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy (Streum On), Far Cry 5 (Ubisoft), Final Fantasy X (Square Enix), Gilmore Girls Fire Emblem (Marlowe Dobbe), Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Outbreak (Nintendo), Heisei Pistol Show (Parun), Hunter: Call of the Wild (Expansive Worlds), Immortals: Fenyx Rising (Ubisoft), Langrisser I (Chara-Ani), Layton’s Mysterious Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires’ Conspiracy (Level-5), Lonely Mountains: Downhill (Megagon), Majesty 2: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim (Ino-Co), Metal Gear Solid (Konami), Mortal Shell (Cold Symmetry), My Time at Portia (Pathea), NBA 2k22 (2K), Northern Journey (Slid Studio), Pokémon Card GB2: Great Rocket-Dan Sanjo! (Hudson), Popful Mail (Nihon Falcom), Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth (Team Ladybug), Risk of Rain 2 (Hopoo), Romancing SaGa (Square Enix), Shadow Warrior (Flying Wild Hog), Siralim Ultimate (Thylacine), Siren: Blood Curse (Japan Studios), StarBoy (Redeyevisuals), Team Fortress 2 (Valve), The Big Con (Mighty Yell), The Caligula Effect: Overdose (Aquria), The Caligula Effect 2 (Aquria), The Dream Machine (Cockroach), The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Nintendo), The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask Randomizer (Nintendo), Tower Unite (PixelTail), Trails of Cold Steel IV (Nihon Falcom), Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception (Naughty Dog)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Awesome work, Microcline, legitimately

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Do you have a sharable spreadsheet with all this data? I'd like to do some statistics of my own

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Played some FF14 and SMTV during the break, but soon it will be time to move on to the games of 2022.

Thanks for all the hard work, Rarity and VG!

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

Eorzea's full. I suggest you play Blue Reflection: Second Light in the meantime

Got my hands full with Erdrea at the moment, but I DO have it on my wishlist! It's $60 on PSN and I spent a LOT on games for 2022 but I'm not forgetting about it. Seems like it might be my jam, just waiting for a sale. Same reason I haven't tried Returnal or an Atelier game yet. They expensive.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Gust games don't go on sale super often, but it does happen, unlike with Nintendo games. And the sales tend to be fairly deep when they occur

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

Gust games don't go on sale super often, but it does happen, unlike with Nintendo games. And the sales tend to be fairly deep when they occur

Dope.

I guess this thread's still alive, have you tried River City Ransom, my dude?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i was sleeping on the couch and then gaming a lil so i couldn;t see the countdown as it was happening but thank you rarity and vg!! these threads always own :)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

xoFcitcrA posted:

Dope.

I guess this thread's still alive, have you tried River City Ransom, my dude?

nah, not really my type of game

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

nah, not really my type of game

You don't feel the need to move to the right and punch?

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Do you have a sharable spreadsheet with all this data? I'd like to do some statistics of my own

Sent via pm

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Oh man I wanna know which goon had the most auteur list with like, most unknown indie games or most arty try hard. And of course wrongest goon

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Lazy Fair posted:

Thanks for taking the time to do this, it's really fun!

There are a ton of criticisms I could voice about FFXIV, it's very much NOT a perfect game... but they've been releasing 3-4 new major episodes of this game every year like clockwork for almost a decade and they just kept getting better and better building on each other all the way to the grand finale. No other individual game, no matter how good, can honestly compare to the culmination of all that... and even individually it's been a respectable contender for GOTY almost every year since like Heavenward in 2015.

It's an astonishing feat with very few if any parallels in gaming, and by it's nature no other video game will be able to repeat any time soon.

It's something I've been thinking about lately. Are there any entertainment series, be it games or television that last 10 years and tell a long running cohesive story like this? I really can't think of any. I don't count book series just because they're very "singular creative," if that makes sense.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Have you ever heard of a show called Coronation Street

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Oh boy I'm glad rarity is doing the countdown on Sunday, the lord's day, and not saturday when i work... oh...

:negative:

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

Have you ever heard of a show called Coronation Street

Have you ever tried to get, to get to Coronation Street?

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 9, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Darkoni posted:

Oh boy I'm glad rarity is doing the countdown on Sunday, the lord's day, and not saturday when i work... oh...

:negative:

:ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Only on page 35 and I gotta say, heck of a job.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Aidan_702 posted:

Oh man I wanna know which goon had the most auteur list with like, most unknown indie games or most arty try hard.

i see you somehow missed 7th guest's triumph of a list

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tell me whos lists are most similar

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Looper posted:

Yeah, that thing was a beast. Who was the one with all the like PC Engine or whatever it was called stuff? That was early on, but I'm too relaxed to look right now. They had crazy old-school stuff.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Looper posted:

It must've been submitted at the 11th hour

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Nice work all, this has been a joy to participate in each year. It's also why I've been tracking my games in a Google sheet with stats like a weirdo. Thanks!

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

whalestory posted:

nice

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

whalestory posted:

lmao

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Probe me with the Endwalker GOTY, baby!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

What a thread and what a list! Endwalker taking the number one spot was no surprise given how many goons put it top, but I was amazed that Party Boat Game of the Year Disco Elysium made it all the way to #3 for a three year run of top ten places, and as a Metroid fan it was really heartening to see that Dread was enjoyed by so many - I guess I really do need to get a Switch now.

Thanks to Veeg and Rarity for hosting and to everyone who contributed! See you at the end of 2022!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

whalestory posted:

someone probe this for making me feel old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I too would like a probation to honor my #1 Game of the Yay, Endwalker.

Probingway.