Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

KingKalamari posted:

Perhaps not the most accurate word choice, but I think it's a little presumptuous to come into a game someone else is running and try to get them to switch to a different system.

sasha_d3ath posted:

A friend of mine is trying *really* hard to start an Eclipse Phase campaign and this conversation just backs up my decision to not want to play :B
To me this reads as them not getting any bites. So asking what they want out of the game and suggesting a suitable alternative that's more likely to get off the ground seems good? It could even be running the same campaign in a different (suitable) system or running the same system for a different (suitable) setting.

If they are getting bites and are just having scheduling issues or something or they are getting bites and sasha just isn't or of then then yeah that's obviously different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Splicer posted:

To me this reads as them not getting any bites.

I admit to finding the fishing metaphor a bit.. strange.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

hyphz posted:

I admit to finding the fishing metaphor a bit.. strange.
This may just be regional slang, the idea is that you're putting out something attractive to see if it gets attention. It sounds like Eclipse Phase is not getting that attention, but the hypothetical DM here seems to really like the idea.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Nessus posted:

This may just be regional slang, the idea is that you're putting out something attractive to see if it gets attention. It sounds like Eclipse Phase is not getting that attention, but the hypothetical DM here seems to really like the idea.

Oh, I know it's slang, but the thing is that in fishing the attractive thing is also a trap. It's always seemed that instead of getting bites, the fish should be jumping out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Now I feel bad about fishing for compliments. :smith:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The real fun one is that trolling was originally trawling.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

The real fun one is that trolling was originally trawling.

Nope, they’re two different fishing techniques: http://www.marinersguide.info/blog/why-do-i-need-to-know-the-difference-between-trawling-trolling-i-dont-fish

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it's trolling because you're tossing out a lot of bait and just waiting for bites, trawling is the one with the nets

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Going back to running my weekly game online tonight after a few glorious in-person months and not looking forward to it at all. :smith:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

DressCodeBlue posted:

Going back to running my weekly game online tonight after a few glorious in-person months and not looking forward to it at all. :smith:
lol, I was gearing up to run a game in-person in February. Ooooops.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

Oh, I know it's slang, but the thing is that in fishing the attractive thing is also a trap.
Are you saying this hobby is not a trap.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

hyphz posted:

Oh, I know it's slang, but the thing is that in fishing the attractive thing is also a trap. It's always seemed that instead of getting bites, the fish should be jumping out.

The slang is usually considering things from the fisher's perspective, not the fish's.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Warthur posted:

The slang is usually considering things from the fisher's perspective, not the fish's.

Exactly? The fisher is aware they're trying to trick the fish into trying to do something they don't really want to do? I hope that's not what GMs are thinking.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yeah I hope that crazy thing isn't true either

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It’s a perfectly normal idiom and I’ve never heard of it being meant or taken maliciously. No more so than like “house on fire” or “the cat’s out of the bag” or any other one that has a less than cozy compositional meaning.

Like in my English, it’d be totally normal to say one isn’t getting any bites about distributing presents or something (because no one is around to collect them).

But hey at least it’s at least a slightly icky one that’s getting a reaction instead of people worrying about “call a spade a spade” or whatever.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
give a man a fish, they will eat for a day
give a man a fishing metaphor, they won't shut up

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'm pretty sure there's at least one study that shows if you give a man a fish, he'll spend the time he doesn't have to spend worrying about his next meal to do something really interesting.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It originates from VtM. Successful storyteller pitches would result in applications, which would obviously include backstories containing the character's embrace. An unsuccessful storyteller pitch would receive no such backstories and as such "get no bites".

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I always assumed that metaphor was what the phrase "plot hook" was referencing in sandbox games, so I never really associated it with trickery, even if the original activity is.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What's the closest game to Burning Wheel (that isn't a BW derivative like Torchbearer). If I want to play an epic crunchy-and-narrative game, am I stuck playing something with a very defined scope like Ars or Pendragon?

Splicer posted:

It originates from VtM. Successful storyteller pitches would result in applications, which would obviously include backstories containing the character's embrace. An unsuccessful storyteller pitch would receive no such backstories and as such "get no bites".

:golfclap:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Give me a fish, and maybe I'll manage to cook it I don't know.
Give me a cat, and I will melt into baby talk. :3:

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Farg posted:

yeah I hope that crazy thing isn't true either

It's just another thing that ties into the weird social position of the GM, where they're expected to facilitate the activity but also create the desire for it as well in order to facilitate it. It's like being a wedding planner except you also have to get the couple together and convince them to get married so that the wedding happens to plan it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

hyphz posted:

It's just another thing that ties into the weird social position of the GM, where they're expected to facilitate the activity but also create the desire for it as well in order to facilitate it. It's like being a wedding planner except you also have to get the couple together and convince them to get married so that the wedding happens to plan it.

It's hard to match the enthusiasm of the one who read the book.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Give me a fish, and maybe I'll manage to cook it I don't know.
Give me a cat, and I will melt into baby talk. :3:
With a fish you can obtain a cat.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Splicer posted:

With a fish you can obtain a cat.

There aren't just cats walking around this area, alas. :smith:

I guess I could try to entice some crows.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There aren't just cats walking around this area, alas. :smith:

I guess I could try to entice some crows.

the cats of the sky

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Coolness Averted posted:

the cats of the sky

I try to treat them that way, but they're not really responsive.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It's hard to match the enthusiasm of the one who read the book.

Which begs the question, "Why don't people read books to play?"

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I hear you can train a crow to find things for you, which is cute and terrifying in equal measure.

To make this vaguely TG related, the only part of Pathfinder I really liked were the nosoi, which were crow/raven psychopomps that generally handled the bureaucracy of the land of the dead (they could use writing implements without penalty despite not having hands) and all wore cute little masks. They also could be bribed to do things for you with food or information, and you could take one as a familiar. Totally sad I didn't get to play in a game where I could hang out with a scribe bird friend, even if I'm not into PF as a system.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

hyphz posted:

I think discussions about the expectations of how much homework and prep each player needs to put in to play a game is different from the recruitment and pitching a game topic.

I don't see many scenarios where everyone has already read the book and is familiar with the game we haven't played before I start recruiting for it and drumming up interest.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
There are modules like Hot Spring Island that have a separate player-facing resource and a GM resource.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

hyphz posted:

It occurs to me that there's something of a prisoner's dilemma.

If a GM says to me and three other people, "If you all read Exciting Game Book, we can play it and I'll run it! Fun!"
Then:

If I read the book, but nobody else does, then:
  • We play anyway. I wasted my time reading the book, as evidenced by the other players getting Fun without reading.
  • We don't play. I wasted my time reading the book, because we're not playing.
If I don't read the book, then:
  • We play anyway. It's a good thing I didn't waste my time reading the book!
  • We don't play. It's a good thing I didn't waste my time reading the book!
If I read the book, and so does everyone else, then:
  • We never wind up playing anyway, it falls through. I wasted my time reading the book!
  • We play as planned. It was worth my time reading the book!
Only one in six outcomes was it worth it for me to read the book.

Of course, as in the classic prisoner's dilemma, the one where all the prisoners are faithful to their agreement, it's the best of the six outcomes for all of us. So it's still the one we should pick.
Also I cheated a bit, because in the very first option (I read the book, one or more other players don't, and we play anyway) I probably have a better time - less confusion, etc., and maybe I can help the GM teach the game to the other players. I also didn't include the negative social pressure if I'm the only one who didn't read the book, and that's why we don't play: everyone's mad at me for spoiling the fun.

So the truth is that this is not really how things work, and probably most people don't read the book just because they were busy, never really felt like doing it, meant to but didn't get around to it, or just weren't as excited about it as the GM was.

Still, there may be a kernel of truth in there anyway, about incentives and the power of social inertia.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I don't expect my players to read the rules before the first session , because that's a high cost to changing systems, but I gate a lot of advanced options behind reading the rules.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Generally when I want to run a game I ask around to see if there's any interest or I just post a recruitment thread. I assume that people have read the parts of the book that are relevant to them. It's worked out so far.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
In every group I've ever been in, it's one person who owns or has read the book, and then explains to the other players how it differs from D&D and what you can do in it and how.

People in this thread/forum are a very self selected group of people super into TTRPGs and running them. Some of my players are there because they're friends with other people at the table, or they used to play a different game/edition in college, but they just want a social activity to do after work.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
It just struck me that perennially, when we’re talking about indie systems, it’s always complaints about “finding people to play”, not “finding people to run”.

My FLGS is starting an RPG weekly meet in the new year, and their system choice was “DnD, Pathfinder, or any other system provided it is requested by players not in an established group” (and it’s not just a stock thing, they stock quite a few indie RPGs, in fact I bought a print SCRPG while I was there to help them recover from lockdown. Did have to explain to the visiting friend I was with that I probably wouldn’t have an answer to “tell me how that game goes” though)

It also seems that the dynamic of RPG groups seems to be healthier when the GM can be a pure facilitator instead of a leader.

It also seems that GMing DND and PF2e especially can very easily become mechanistic and less enjoyable.

So why do games have this? Obviously you can say, it’s because DnD is better known, but even in groups where indies are better known it’s very rare to see GM recruitment.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

hyphz posted:

It just struck me that perennially, when we’re talking about indie systems, it’s always complaints about “finding people to play”, not “finding people to run”.

My FLGS is starting an RPG weekly meet in the new year, and their system choice was “DnD, Pathfinder, or any other system provided it is requested by players not in an established group” (and it’s not just a stock thing, they stock quite a few indie RPGs, in fact I bought a print SCRPG while I was there to help them recover from lockdown. Did have to explain to the visiting friend I was with that I probably wouldn’t have an answer to “tell me how that game goes” though)

It also seems that the dynamic of RPG groups seems to be healthier when the GM can be a pure facilitator instead of a leader.

It also seems that GMing DND and PF2e especially can very easily become mechanistic and less enjoyable.

So why do games have this? Obviously you can say, it’s because DnD is better known, but even in groups where indies are better known it’s very rare to see GM recruitment.

I personally find exactly the opposite in every system, indie or otherwise. It's always getting someone able to run more than a few sessions. (Not even willing, able.) My group has people that step up to the plate, but none of us have managed a long-runner in a while, including me (for numerous reasons, including the recent question(s) in this thread...). Hoping this Apocalypse World game changes things and can manage to last a while.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gort posted:

Turns out there are some good ones here and some not so good ones

I like Papsikel's stuff, https://www.myminifactory.com/users/Papsikels

They do cyberpunk (including some Shadowrun), not-Xenomorphs, not-Predators, not-Starship Troopers, and other. The poor bastards had a really good looking not-Dune line in preview, buuuut they got C&D. Too bad, not-Duncan looked exactly like Jason Momoa. They will occasionally do a xenomorph or Predator with tits, but on the whole their stuff is non-skeevy and prints out super sharp.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 9, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

hyphz posted:

Groups start with D&D or something like it because it's the most popular, people want to see what it's like, and it's the kind of game that encourages you to play it for months or years and spend lots of money investing on supplements and accessories. If you have an established gaming group, it's because someone's already volunteered to be the GM. The GM is usually the initiator, pulling in friends, family, coworkers, and other people linked to them to play. Then the GM is the one with the most experience GMing whenever the topic of a new game comes up, while it's less common for someone else to volunteer. If a new game comes up, then you deal with the cycle of starting anew, with the GM leading players through the rules, some of whom may have read stuff or not, until everyone gets a good idea of what's going on. Some people don't want to deal with that learning bump, so they stick to what they know.

These all are just statistically common overlapping realities.

Things can vary, and I agree with ninjoatse.cx, that discussion here on this particular forum is going to have specific biases in what people want. People here usually have GMed or are open to GMing in addition to playing. That's a big scary thing to a lot of people. We talk about neat non-D&D games that have come out across the span of decades. People get excited and want to try them out. Most people playing TTRPGs aren't in that deep.

The Board Game thread has similar problems with getting people to try new board games, getting to play specific ones they like, or having to hold their noses and play Munchkin or Cards Against Humanity depending on what their local friends will tolerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

CitizenKeen posted:

I don't expect my players to read the rules before the first session , because that's a high cost to changing systems, but I gate a lot of advanced options behind reading the rules.

Personally I always write up a "quickstart" sheet if it's not a system everyone's already very familiar with, to ensure that everyone knows how chargen works and how the basics of the system function. It means no one has to read the full book if they don't want to, overcomes the issue where a lot of RPG books have incredibly lovely layout even if the content hidden in the labyrinth is good and also works as a quick reference sheet for myself.