Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Man that was really pretentious for what her books ultimately are

She also was famously litigious to fanfic writers. The Anne Rice category on fanfic sites exploded the second she died, just had thousands of fics overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mak0rz posted:

I see more and more people doing this so I'm curious. When did the meaning of "OP" change from "user who made the thread" to "user I'm replying to"?

Not sure but it’s definitely confusing OP

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

steinrokkan posted:

Whats worse

-people who identify with a HP house
-people who identify with a Myers-Briggs type

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgk-lA12FBk

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mak0rz posted:

I see more and more people doing this so I'm curious. When did the meaning of "OP" change from "user who made the thread" to "user I'm replying to"?

It just means "original poster," so it is both a valid reference to the poster who made the thread and the poster who made the post in the quote tag right abover whatever you're adding as your own post, depending on context.

, OP

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

OP is just how you say dude or bro on forums

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
ope

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OwlFancier posted:

It means both, and you have to determine which entirely though context.

It's a fun game!

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i don't think i would call discworld niche

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

moonmazed posted:

i don't think i would call discworld niche

It's only had like four TV adaptations and three video games!

Honestly, though, while Discworld is a big name in fantasy, I'm not sure it's well known outside of fantasy the same way things like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings or more recently Game of Thrones are.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Ben and Jerry's have two new flavors of non-dairy ice creams. Here's a comment on the article about it:

quote:

How odd that people berate Chick-fil-A and not this political entity.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I do think Discworld is 'niche' in the very literal sense. Any fan of fantasy likely at least has heard of it or at least Pratchett but in a wider mainstream audience it's still pretty underseen for how huge it is in its circles. Not really 'lil indie gem nobody knows' niche but 'if you're not a dork for fantasy stuff there honestly are fair odds you haven't seen it'.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Or the "A Scanner Darkly" of fiction.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

Ben and Jerry's have two new flavors of non-dairy ice creams. Here's a comment on the article about it:

There's currently a bit of a modding war row going on on Nexus mods over Skyrim where the thesis statement of the whole thing is basically "People upload a bunch of mods that add gay content to Skyrim and everyone's cool with it, but when I upload a mod that explicitly removes what little gay content there is from the game, suddenly everyone loses their minds. HYPOCRISY MUCH? HMMM? :lofty: Checkmate gays... who I hate."

So now people are uploading mods that add even more gay stuff to Skyrim and remove all the straight stuff and it's utter sexual anarchy, to quote a certain tiny-faced chud who also hates gay people.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

OP is just how you say dude or bro on forums
Also in real life.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the "which is your house" thing is entirely an insufferable-potter-nerd kinda thing though
like the actual books focus on harry and his buds in gryffindor 90% of the time, slytherin is literally just "the evil badguys" and the other two houses are barely mentioned
nobody would actually care about hufflepuff or ravenclaw if they didn't interact with ""the fandom"" first

The whole thing where there's this in-universe identity that you can basically pick from a list, or put together easily by choosing a few key features is really appealing to, well, I want to say kids, but tons adults in fandom too.

Homestuck is huge for this too, where you pick a Class and Aspect that suits your personality. Or with the trolls who were insanely popular, where you pick a special blood type, symbol, etc.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Memento posted:

:hai:

There's a solution here I've found to work exceptionally well

Ursula K Le Guin was cool as hell and wrote books both for young children (Catwings) and young adult (Earthsea).

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1479974074986209286?s=20

Cryptoland must not like the bad press.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Were you haunted by the bit where the kid wakes up as a dragon or something and then has to peel off his skin over and over and over and over until he's himself again? I was.

I liked the swordfighting rat though.

en punchant

Oh yeah. Sounds oddly like getting sunburnt.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tenebrais posted:

It's only had like four TV adaptations and three video games!
How are you getting four? There were two animated adaptations, three movies and, technically, The Watch.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

discworld is great but i feel like the books towards the end were a little off. snuff felt a little heavy handed with its message, especially with how goblins had been treated until this book and the one about trains felt really unpolished.

it's why i still haven't read the last tiffany aching book tbh

also re: harry potter, i don't think i was invested in the characters as much as i was in the world of harry potter. the diagon alley chapters were the ones i would obsessively read over and over again because i was just fascinated by wizard society and wanted to know more. of course, when jkr actually started to do that with pottermore it turned out to be a big wet fart with stuff like "north america only has one wizard school for everyone and it totally works out!" and "wizards will poo poo themselves and magic it away"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Splash Attack posted:

discworld is great but i feel like the books towards the end were a little off. snuff felt a little heavy handed with its message, especially with how goblins had been treated until this book and the one about trains felt really unpolished.

Unfortunately there's a reason for that, being at the point where the author was struggling with alzheimers and having to dictate the books because he couldn't really write anymore.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Splash Attack posted:

The decline in quality is real, but forgivable in my opinion seeing as the man was dying slowly of Alzheimer's disease at the time he was writing them.

EDIT: Beaten.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Splash Attack posted:

Same. But also I can't remember if I read I Shall Wear Midnight either. I just now read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia and it doesn't sounds super familiar but also there's nothing there that stands out like "I'd remember if I'd read that".

Going Postal was the last great one, imo. And it was a bit hit and miss before that point as well. But everything from Equal Rites through to Thief of Time is top quality.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/jonreyes204/status/1479819770597888000?t=r2-Ipg8yCrl6wZYVsxZF8g&s=19

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

steinrokkan posted:

Whats worse

-people who identify with a HP house
-people who identify with a Myers-Briggs type

Yes.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

This is a psychic attack against me

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Unfortunately there's a reason for that, being at the point where the author was struggling with alzheimers and having to dictate the books because he couldn't really write anymore.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The decline in quality is real, but forgivable in my opinion seeing as the man was dying slowly of Alzheimer's disease at the time he was writing them.

EDIT: Beaten.

yeah, i was aware of that when i read them. the decline in quality wasn't really that bad until the train one imo; it's very clearly still him writing but something just feels off. or maybe it's just realizing that raising steam is him basically saying goodbye to discworld while he still could and wrapping things up. :smith:

Tiggum posted:

Same. But also I can't remember if I read I Shall Wear Midnight either. I just now read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia and it doesn't sounds super familiar but also there's nothing there that stands out like "I'd remember if I'd read that".

Going Postal was the last great one, imo. And it was a bit hit and miss before that point as well. But everything from Equal Rites through to Thief of Time is top quality.

that implies the last hero is not considered top quality and i would greatly disagree with that.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I read one of his later books which was clearly written in his decline and it's heartbreaking to see that confusion coming through.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1479976092979146756
:lol:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The Harry Potter series is the foremost example of "poverty played for comedy" that I can think of, so I have no idea what this person is on about.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

JordanKai posted:

The Harry Potter series is the foremost example of "poverty played for comedy" that I can think of, so I have no idea what this person is on about.

Idpol without material conditions really fucks people up.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I think the Harry Potter derail has come to an end. kthx

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

As always, if you want to talk Harry Potter there is a Harry Potter thread

for all your posting needs

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Splash Attack posted:

I agree that Snuff and Raising Steam were painful to read and I don't think I'm likely to revisit those, but The Shepherd's Crown is a lot more edited and coherent than those two. It's a really good send-off to the series, and I recommend it. In my mind it's more of a send-off by Rhianna Pratchett to her father than his last work, and it works perfectly as that.

One major plotline is also a final gently caress you to JK Rowling and the TERFs, as a nobleman's son abandons his titles and apprentices under Tiffany to become the Discworld's first male witch.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tiggum posted:

It's been a long time since I read I Shall Wear Midnight and I don't remember it as being too noticable in that one, but I'm apprehensive to reread it in case it's obvious in retrospect, but I think it's pretty easy to remember if you've read it: a recurring plot point is that Tiffany continues to insist that she will marry her love interest even as they drift apart and get to know his betrothed who is actually cool and has great chemistry with him, which eventually climaxes as (if you don't remember his twist, skip the second spoiler; I don't think you've read the book) Tiffany's insistence being revealed to not be her being a creepy stalker, but instead developing the ability to foretell the future, as she does indeed "marry Ronald" because she ends up performing a marriage ritual, marrying Ronald to his betrothed.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I read a children's book once and I'm still mad about it!

you found the monster at the end of the book?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Print it by the ton and drop it out of planes the next time there's a war

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I really liked Snuff and (to a slightly lesser extent) Raising Steam. Snuff lays its themes on heavy, sure, but... Part of that could be Pratchetts circumstances while he was writing it, but part of it could just be "The state of the world shows that SUBTLE DOESNT loving TAKE". Raising Steam felt (understandably) slightly rushed to me, but overall... Its a goodbye to characters that I absolutely love. He'd been heading Ankh Morpork towards an industrial revolution for quite a while, honestly I feel like with ideal circumstances there might have been one more Ankh Morpork set book before raising steam to lead into it a little more, but it wasnt jarring or anything. The one I feel kind of doesnt hold up well is Unseen Academicals. Thats the one I really felt that the pratchett of 10 years previous would have gone back over a few times and really tightened up. Still not bad, some funny bits and good character stuff, but the plot was just not up to his usual standards due to the inherent issues of having to dictate the book and having to work as fast as possible to get it done against the continuing progress of alzheimers.

Not gonna lie, I still sometimes get a little sad when the thought pops into my head "Its been a while since there's been a new discworld novel, I should check... Ah. No. Nevermind. gently caress."

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Zetsubou-san posted:

you found the monster at the end of the book?

You know how expensive it was to get that mirror put in the book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?