Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

they're the same screen to me. it embodies both the yun and the yang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I spend all day touching a windows tablet so when I get home the joy of using an actual PC for my leisure time is pure ecstasy. Sorry to everyone that uses good computers for work. That sounds like it sucks poo poo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I just have a really nice TV. Although I don't really play Switch games on it since they look kinda doodoo on a big 4K TV. Switch is like 80% handheld for me these days.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i ordered one of those satisfye grips people here keep talking up because i was trying to play metroid bed and kept dying on kraid and my hands were cramping and i had a headache and i was getting pissed. going to test it out now. i also put on the fat thumbstick covers it came with though i'm not sure if/how they're supposed to help.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it definitely helped. my right thumb still got a bit sore from mashing but that would happen on a regular controller too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I got those Nyxi pro Joycon a month ago. They don't hold a charge for the life of them, lasts only a few hours. BUT handheld they feel amazing, way better than a grip.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

b_d posted:

i ordered one of those satisfye grips people here keep talking up because i was trying to play metroid bed and kept dying on kraid and my hands were cramping and i had a headache and i was getting pissed. going to test it out now. i also put on the fat thumbstick covers it came with though i'm not sure if/how they're supposed to help.

I didn't have much of a problem with joycons but I recently bought the Hori Split Pad and goddamn where has this been all my life

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

are the nyxi and binbok controllers pretty much the same generic thing out of china? they look slightly different but extremely similar

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

frame slowing in links awakening is barely noticable but imo the thing that gives me the shits is the blurry out of focus effect around the border of the game. Still a great nostalgia trip and absolutely worth the buy as someone who adored the original as a kid. I even got stuck on the same puzzle where you have to kill the three enemies in a particular order because I had no idea what any of the enemies were called because my gameboy copy was second hand and didn't come with a manual

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I hate gyro aiming, it's never felt good in any game I've tried it in, but it should absolutely be an option in games for people who enjoy it.

Yeah like, just don't use it if you're not a fan of it? I don't know why people are throwing a fit over the option to use it or not. Just stick with sticks if you don't want to use it. No one's forcing you to gyro.

But also like holy poo poo get off the cases of the people who can't use gyro. Motion controls are very hostile to people with disabilities and people with shaky motor control. Not everyone can use it for various reasons, or just don't like it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone knows not everyone can use it and no one has been a jerk about that one bit

That's different than refusing to learn it because it's different or "feels bad" at first or whatever

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i play videogames using a controller and sometimes with a keyboard and mouse

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The Bloop posted:

Everyone knows not everyone can use it and no one has been a jerk about that one bit

That gif from American mcgay felt pretty nasty in the context of those ads are without fail selling disability aides that weren't profitable to the general abled market tbh

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I finished Disco Elysium and it rocks. Runs like butt on the Switch but I still slammed straight through it. The crashes were obnoxious but I quicksave like a neurotic... Neurotic so I never lost more than, like, five minutes of gameplay. The loading times are a crime though. A screen transition was like waiting for death. However I have already started a new game which should tell you how loving compelling it is.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

That gif from American mcgay felt pretty nasty in the context of those ads are without fail selling disability aides that weren't profitable to the general abled market tbh

Those ads are all able bodied people pretending that basic tasks are impossible feats of dexterity

Which seemed pretty relevant to me

I've never interpreted them as targeting or depicting the handicapped

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i play videogames using a controller and sometimes with a keyboard and mouse

Sick.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

incredibly good game

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I love gyro aiming in basically every game it's available in, but if it's not for you for whatever reason there should absolutely be an option to turn it off in the menus. I don't like rumble and get annoyed when a game (or preferably the console itself on a system level) doesn't allow you to turn it off. Which, guess what, is my main problem with BOTW so far. Game's still good, but why can't I turn the rumble off?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm just glad the argument's settled since gyro aiming will never, ever be mainstream

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm just glad the argument's settled since gyro aiming will never, ever be mainstream

God bless.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/965962815872921600?t=p_6nwbpoVMQs1656LwUUZw&s=19
https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/965969699992416257?t=aUpzfBjIRZ5VDO9f_vbZKQ&s=19

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Looper posted:

incredibly good game

gently caress yeah it is, goddamn it holds up well

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

that happened four years ago and as far as I see, gyro aiming is not even in the conversation for other consoles. I guess the revolution really wasn't televised!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Sony just announced their second iteration of a subconsole that is gyro everything

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

LODGE NORTH posted:

Sony just announced their second iteration of a subconsole that is gyro everything

Maybe they could gyro a game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

LODGE NORTH posted:

bringing up another failed, niche technology will not make gyro aiming more palatable to the masses!

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

that happened four years ago and as far as I see, gyro aiming is not even in the conversation for other consoles. I guess the revolution really wasn't televised!

Literally every game I release on playstation gets immediate praise for including gyro aiming, followed by bafflement over how we are the only ones doing it (they ask us why if it's some sort of technical issue, but it's not and we have no idea), while everybody just automatically assumes our Switch ports have it in the first place (in fact any fps that doesn't have it on the Switch I typically see gets met with confusion and annoyance).

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Rocket Pan posted:

Literally every game I release on playstation gets immediate praise for including gyro aiming, followed by bafflement over how we are the only ones doing it (they ask us why if it's some sort of technical issue, but it's not and we have no idea), while everybody just automatically assumes our Switch ports have it in the first place (in fact any fps that doesn't have it on the Switch I typically see gets met with confusion and annoyance).

Interesting, so there isn't any good reason for games not having gyro, the devs just don't bother? Lmao that's lame as gently caress. Good on you for actually using it, though, for real.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Yeah we were very confused going in with the playstation given nobody else was really doing anything with the gyro. We expected going in to be this whole process involving conversions from a strange matrix, but no it turned out to be functionally identical to the Switch, just a 3D vector representing the current pitch, yaw and roll of the controller.

The Switch took about a day as our very first implementation of gyro (that was with Turok 1), and most of that was just making a generic API layer for it to convert it into player inputs. The playstation was like half a morning adapting it to the same function.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 9, 2022

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I believe you are literally the reason I know that the Switch itself has a gyro for when you use attachments like the Split Pad Pro, and it drives me nuts that Splatoon 2 of all games exclusively uses the right Joycon for gyro.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Is there a controller that arent the joy cons but is also small, yet comfortable as the hori pads but also has gyro.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC the Binbok Split Pad Pro clones have at least rumble and gyro functionality, but I went with the Hori SPP instead because I read a review that said the D-Pad wasn't great.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Also those licensed Hori designs are great. Having a hard time keeping myself from purchasing a third one.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the only people who care about gyro are perverts and degenerates who are also exaclty the kind of people to proselytize about it and use social media to contact devs over using it or not. tihis is also why the squad game is the poster child of the movement. no more questions.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Love to use the spreadsheet machine to feel as disconnected from the action as possible

(Yes it's the most accurate, but that doesn't make it the most fun)

it probably semes less fun to you because you spend your time getting scoped and droped and have to return to the comfy painting game instead

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm kicking myself for just now playing Katamari Damacy, this game whips rear end

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

chaleski posted:

I'm kicking myself for just now playing Katamari Damacy, this game whips rear end

I'm fucken mad we probably won't ever get a rerelease of the second game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

it probably semes less fun to you because you spend your time getting scoped and droped and have to return to the comfy painting game instead

the painting game is pog and it's gonna be a huge gamer hell yeah for me when splatoon 3 drops to win goty 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Cut this "control preference" elitism out or I'm gonna smash some skulls, you loving weirdos.