Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

post onward! page 69 beckons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

post onward! page 69 beckons

K. I think I can get us there.

Final Fantasy 7 is one of the worst JRPGs I've ever played. And I LOVE JRPGs.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

xoFcitcrA posted:

Final Fantasy 7 is one of the worst JRPGs I've ever played. And I LOVE JRPGs.

Off by 1 but ok

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
It's only popular because it was on the right console at the right time with the right hype.
No other reason.
I love JRPGs, but FF7 was the only one I EVER boredquit. And I boredquit it TWICE.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
For a lot of people, it was their introduction to JRPGs, so it meant a lot to them. I get it. But if it hadn't been released on the console it was at the time it was with the hype to get enough people to tell their friends about this crazy thing called "RPGs", it would have been as forgettable as most others.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
FF7 is like Halo or Resident Evil. They were only *okay* at best, even by the standards at the time. But they had the hype. They had the right timing. They are the ones who are remembered.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What don’t you like bout it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
We all know the best final fantasy is 4

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Alright, Beanpole, that's what I've got to get you to page 69.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

xoFcitcrA posted:

FF7 is like Halo or Resident Evil. They were only *okay* at best, even by the standards at the time. But they had the hype. They had the right timing. They are the ones who are remembered.

Those are all good games, op

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

If any of the other Final Fantasy games are so good, why aren't they GOTY instead of Final Fantasy 14? Checkmate.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

What don’t you like bout it

I like JRPGs if they are interesting and new, or of they are old and comfortable. If it's new, it's exciting to explore! If it's old, it's comfortable like a predictable Scooby-Doo episode. But FF7 is the ONLY jrpg that made me so bored that I stopped playing. AND TWICE!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Mode 7 posted:

If any of the other Final Fantasy games are so good, why aren't they GOTY instead of Final Fantasy 14? Checkmate.

Ngl I love ff14 but I cant stand Emet-Selch. Hes the dumbest villain and I cant take him seriously and a lot of it has to do with this gif

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Yeah, they were okay. No Halo fan was a PC gamer when that was released. We had better poo poo already. Also, I ADORED Bungie's Marathon series because it had good stories. Storytelling in FPSs was a new thing back then. I was disappointed when Halo had the story of your average Sonic game.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Whizzing Wizard posted:

And I came from the 1992 Alone In The Dark crowd, so I was kinda "eh" at RE. I did like Silent Hill, though.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Rarity posted:

Off by 1 but ok

ff6 isn't that bad, I think most people like it

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Rarity posted:

Off by 1 but ok

Which way, Rare? 6 is the one everyone says is best but I never played, and 8 was the usual dumb, forgettable popcorn that I kinda like. I remember that one because I played it with my older sister when we were young adults and a fellow had a gun-sword, which was played off unsarcastically in-game. And yes, I do know that gun-knives used to be a thing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I swear to god I will close this thread

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Rarity posted:

I apologise, I just wanted to help Bean see it to 69.

e: and stirrin' poo poo's all I know

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

xoFcitcrA posted:

Alright, Beanpole, that's what I've got to get you to page 69.

your methods are unsound but your mission is just

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

you had that coming hehehe

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Minor(?) requests for the next GotY countdown:

- a mention of which the year the game was first released!
- a mention of where the game placed in previous threads!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Final Fantasy VII being "insanely overrated" perplexes me.

It wasn't even my first Final Fantasy but I've found it to be the most enjoyable and engaging title, and (surprisingly) replayable. It has a phenomenal cast, story, and pacing. Since my deep dive in the series I've found the supposed "superior games" people give examples of are the real over-rated ones. IX is fun but has poor pacing. VI is plagued by having a large ensemble where hardly any characters leave a mark (outside of arguably the best villain in the series). VIII is so boring I dropped it. V has an amazing battle system that is still superior to most RPGs today, but its story is paper thin.

VII is superior to the above title in literally every aspect besides graphics and, in V's case, battle system. I'm not the least bit surprised that it took off an entire genre and arguably bought heavily Japanese styled games to the forefront in Western gaming. Yes Sony's $100 million marketing budget helped, but as it has been shown countless times, money alone doesn't guarantee an industry shattering success.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I think for the 10th annual goty thread we should also do a game of the decade thread where everyone submits a top 10 list from a pool of all the top 10 finishers of the previous 10 years. Looking forward to that hahaha

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

your methods are unsound but your mission is just

haha okay, I was looking through the smilies to see if there was something that could indicate a knightly bow, but I found this instead :feart:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If anyone wants to take the time to repost their 2020 list and talk about whether they’d change any of it, a year later, I would eagerly read your thoughts

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

Final Fantasy VII being "insanely overrated" perplexes me.

It wasn't even my first Final Fantasy but I've found it to be the most enjoyable and engaging title, and (surprisingly) replayable. It has a phenomenal cast, story, and pacing. Since my deep dive in the series I've found the supposed "superior games" people give examples of are the real over-rated ones. IX is fun but has poor pacing. VI is plagued by having a large ensemble where hardly any characters leave a mark (outside of arguably the best villain in the series). VIII is so boring I dropped it. V has an amazing battle system that is still superior to most RPGs today, but its story is paper thin.

VII is superior to the above title in literally every aspect besides graphics and, in V's case, battle system. I'm not the least bit surprised that it took off an entire genre and arguably bought heavily Japanese styled games to the forefront in Western gaming. Yes Sony's $100 million marketing budget helped, but as it has been shown countless times, money alone doesn't guarantee an industry shattering success.

Interesting. I always felt the characters were bog-standard flat and dry UNTIL !!! I played Crisis Core. I think that was the first FF game I played that had an ACTUAL localization team. I really liked the characters in that. I feel like that made a huge difference.

edit: I actually liked Zach and Aeris after that.

e2: For clarity, when everyone sounds like a JRPG character and no one sounds like a person, I found it difficult to identify with them.

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 9, 2022

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

If anyone wants to take the time to repost their 2020 list and talk about whether they’d change any of it, a year later, I would eagerly read your thoughts

My 2020 list was

10. Civilization 6
9. Days Gone
8. Spider-Man
7. Death Stranding
6. Red Dead Redemption 2
5. Bugsnax
4. Dark Souls 3
3. Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbringers
2. Final Fantasy 7 Remake
1. Bloodborne

I think I would move Bugsnax to 8th, and Spider-Man to 10th but the rest of the list is still solid

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

sure. here's my list from 2020

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950329&userid=54064#post510620745

the changes i'd make are that hon. mentions Catherine and Vanquish would bump off Prey and Amnesia entirely, and 13 Sentinels would be knocked to #10

edit;

so prolly

1. FF7R
2. 2LOU
3. nuDeS
4. Disco
5. Iceborne
6. Cuphead
7. Catherine
8. Vanquish
9. C&C
10. 13S

the top 5 is untouchable, and disco will prolly be on my '22 list because of the PS5 version

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 9, 2022

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Minor(?) requests for the next GotY countdown:

- a mention of which the year the game was first released!

#1 - Breath of the Wild 2 (2022)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Remembering the poster who put cyberpunk as their goty in the thread a month before the game came out and had a good laugh...

But what if I did that now for Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
OOH! I just got Full Body and everyone said Catherine is Great!

e: the Russians in particular

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

disco will prolly be on my '22 list because of the PS5 version

Disco is going to top 10 four years in a row and I'm here for it

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Rarity posted:

Disco is going to top 10 four years in a row and I'm here for it

Yeah, I've played 7 hours of it and loved it. That, Undertale, and Celeste will almost definitely be on my lists. I just need to finish them and then I will defeat the one game that has haunted me since 1986. Metroid. I'm scared of Metroid.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Jay Rust posted:

2020 GOTY list

1. Disco Elysium
- no ragrets

2. Red Dead Redemption 2
- this is good too

3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- I didn't actually finish this one, should have been lower perhaps

4. Hearts of Iron 4
- shamefully, this should have been on this years list too

5. Bravely Default
- still owns, and so much better than BD2

6. Crusader Kings 3
- Eh, this game needs some years of overpriced DLC packs I think

7. Final Fantasy IX
- two years in a row for this one

8. Jedi Fallen Order
- I know some people loathe this game, but I think it's decent

9. Paper Mario: The Origami King
- Good game, should probably have been no.3, but I hadn't finished it at the time
10. Doom Eternal
- This was placed correctly.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Whizzing Wizard posted:

2020 GOTY list

2. Red Dead Redemption 2
- this is good too

You talkin about single or multi? I've had it queued up for a while and dipped my toes a bit but haven't been pushed over the line yet.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Just remembering now it was the start of 2021 that I played 13 Sentinels not the end of 2020... :stare:

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

bovis posted:

Just remembering now it was the start of 2021 that I played 13 Sentinels not the end of 2020... :stare:

Yep, January 13 Sentinels fellow here too. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, boss!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Great job Rarity and VG hosting a GOTY thread in a year that didn't even have any video games. I don't know how you managed to pull it off, but you succeeded. Already looking forward to 2022 where I believe experts have predicted there will be some games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Current Status