Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yes, you can just buy your way to success if you have enough money to throw at things. Electric cars and rocketry are both things we've had decades of practice doing, it's not like he was investing in anything actually risky. He was buying a business from thin air to attach a marketing department to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

"Risk" is relative though isn't it. If your daddy owns an emerald mine there's no risk of you becoming destitute.

Once you've got a certain amount of money you can take a whole load of risks until one pays off.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I hate Musk slightly less than his ilk because he at least has a sense that there are Real Problems and has a vision to fix them. He identifies the problems incorrectly, the causes of the problems incorrectly, and prescribes solutions which range from asinine to prohibitively difficult, but I do think that's a tiny bit better than all the rich folks who think everything is just peachy. I'd rather have a useless numpty who fucks up everything than the very very competent evil fuckers running most other things.

I mean it's a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea really, and you do not under any circumstances "gotta hand it to him", but I'll give him the choice of execution method whereas the rest of 'em just get shoved up against the wall.

Fake e; I find I do this a lot actually. I see someone who is unmitigated dogshit and try and find some, well, mitigating factors. Some minor good things they have done or some aspect that is positive even if it's very insufficient to make up for all the exploitation they do. I think that despite my bitter cynicism I still just... want to believe better of our species and assume that everyone has the potential for good.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

He's also massively anti-union though so...

Like he's explicitly on the side of the problems.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Christ. I want to pay for a music streaming service next year, but according to this, Amazon are currently the service that pay artists the most:

https://twitter.com/MrTomGray/status/1251415657486471175?t=ZKqEO2AMkQbc6N7LslI-iA&s=19

Is that right? Are there any other caveats to keep in mind? The missus wants to get spotify because you can get a couples deal and share playlists, but i'd rather a service that pays artists more. Of course on balance they're all pretty loving shocking but the least I can do is choose the least poo poo option.

And no, I'm not carrying a plex server round in a backpack.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I'm not sure how right it is, since Google Play Music doesn't exist any more (you have to get YouTube Music instead). But all of the streaming sites are bad for actually giving money to artists, which is no surprise given the entire industry is built around giving as much money to studio and label execs as possible, and the bare minimum to everyone else. Just pick the streaming service which is the most convenient (Spotify for most people), and if there's an artist you particularly like and want to support, buy some of their stuff from Bandcamp.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Dabir posted:

Electric cars and rocketry are both things we've had decades of practice doing, it's not like he was investing in anything actually risky.

Maybe, but at the same time there were no large successful companies focused on either (at least in the "making solely electric cars" and "building private rockets" sense, obviously you've had companies making spacecraft components and rocket engines and automotive companies dabbling in electric cars as a side project for decades) and they do say they spent quite a long time trying to find investors before they roped him in, him being the first and biggest investor.

That doesn't mean he really did anything himself, but it's not like it was a sure bet either.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 9, 2022

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Unionist politician suggesting “the blockchain” as an alternative to the NI Protocol lol

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

smellmycheese posted:

Unionist politician suggesting “the blockchain” as an alternative to the NI Protocol lol

For gently caress sake.
I'd love to hear exactly how he thinks that would work

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Christ. I want to pay for a music streaming service next year, but according to this, Amazon are currently the service that pay artists the most:

https://twitter.com/MrTomGray/status/1251415657486471175?t=ZKqEO2AMkQbc6N7LslI-iA&s=19

Is that right? Are there any other caveats to keep in mind? The missus wants to get spotify because you can get a couples deal and share playlists, but i'd rather a service that pays artists more. Of course on balance they're all pretty loving shocking but the least I can do is choose the least poo poo option.

And no, I'm not carrying a plex server round in a backpack.

IIRC the highest paying service (currently) is actually Napster*

I think I read that the algorithmic method of working out artist payments results basically means that the more people using the service overall = less payout per individual stream. So unintuitively, less popular services are better for artists.

I may have made that up though.

Here's a 2021 breakdown. It focuses mainly on Spotify but includes the others down the page.

https://freeyourmusic.com/blog/how-much-does-spotify-pay-per-stream

* Reports that every third song is incorrectly labelled as 'System of a Down - Legend of Zelda' remain unconfirmed.

Gruffalo Soldier fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 9, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

This is loving insane

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

This is loving insane

I wonder how this scales against “chaos with ed miliband”

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

smellmycheese posted:

An oven ready blockchain, no less

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Blockchain means Blockchain

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Marmaduke! posted:

All blockchains are oven ready because the of the heat coming off the GPUs trying to maintain them.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
“I'm afraid the civil service has thoroughly assessed the situation and determined that the present course of action will likely lead to partial societal collapse and significant social unrest. I strongly advise you to reconsider your objection to significant public spending to alleviate the severe manpower restrains crippling the health, transport and food industries.”

“Afraid not, old chap. The only way out… is through!” *hires tim wetherspoons as ‘kill the poors '22 commemorative piss-up' organiser*

Convex fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 9, 2022

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Convex posted:

I wonder how this scales against “chaos with ed miliband”

Nurgle with Boris Johnson

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

This is loving insane

Hospitalisations are almost back up to the first peak. At least deaths aren't tracking to the same extent, I guess.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The best course of action is to buy a subscription to the streaming service of your choice and then pay artists directly for the albums you really like and want to support. No need to worry about which streaming service is more profitable for artists; streaming service subscriptions are for getting rid of pesky ads, not for giving artists their fair share. :cheers:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So I saw this on Twitter this week.

https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1479098566731726852?t=0-JStP-0m4Jl2pl87xzRfg&s=19

Did the thread miss this? Did BoJo try and suggest that the reason he had to have number 10 done up was because Theresa May thrashed the place before she left?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Marmaduke! posted:

'Oven ready, just pop it in the microwave' weirdly, of everything he ever said, is the one thing that really, really hosed me off for some reason

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1479098566731726852?t=0-JStP-0m4Jl2pl87xzRfg&s=19

Did the thread miss this? Did BoJo try and suggest that the reason he had to have number 10 done up was because Theresa May thrashed the place before she left?

It was widely reported at the time that Carrie considered it a 'John Lewis Nightmare' full of widely purchased furnishings that don't cost at least 4 figures

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

The Question IRL posted:

No, he suggested that May was awfully middle class and that a gentleman such as himself couldn't be expected to live in a flat that looked like it had been furnished by John Lewis.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The actual suggestion was that it was Carrie kicking up a stink, since I doubt Boris gives much of a poo poo what the place looks like as long as he's got somewhere to eat, poo poo and do his custard binbag thing.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Wait is John Lewis not posh, you can spend thousands on one seat in that place

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

'Oven ready, just pop it in the microwave' weirdly, of everything he ever said, is the one thing that really, really hosed me off for some reason

It's a microwave oven, ykno.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kingturnip posted:

The actual suggestion was that it was Carrie kicking up a stink, since I doubt Boris gives much of a poo poo what the place looks like as long as he's got somewhere to eat, poo poo and do his custard binbag thing.

They're all the same exact place, probably

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have never seen a john lewis. Or a waitrose.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/hm_nopleasure/status/1480118119515500544

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I have never seen a john lewis. Or a waitrose.
But where do you get your pale blue duck eggs from :confused:

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

ThomasPaine posted:

imo it's faux-posh, marketed at non-posh people who desperately want to feel closer to posh

nothing that is mass-produced and commonly-available *can* be posh by definition, imo

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
If you don't buy your cutlery from diddler and sons bespoke knivemasons since 1753 idk what to tell you

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

ThomasPaine posted:

If you’re not familiar with Tories - The really posh ones consider anyone who has to actually buy furniture incredibly vulgar

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
JL is middle class rather than posh.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Parts of the media have noticed that Mandelson was mates with Epstein!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Mandy & the Paedo is my favourite ITV4 cop drama

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pablo Bluth posted:

JL is middle class rather than posh.

John Lewis is just an old-fashioned department store (and it's weird that nobody seems to have noticed this, 20+ years after all the others got destroyed). *Waitrose* is middle class, but more particularly the kind of middle class that thinks Marks and Spencer Food Halls are a bit too lower-middle-class these days.

(Full disclosure - I do almost all of my grocery shopping in M&S and Waitrose these days because the ones in Canary Wharf are *empty* on a Saturday morning and I am willing to accept my place against the wall just to avoid the queues at the Asda)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

John Lewis is good, if there's ever a problem they just sort it out no questions asked & pay the postage for returns. Been buying all of my baby paraphernalia there, it usually isn't even any more expensive than like Amazon or w/e (like-for-like)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I usually get John Lewis vouchers for Christmas and birthdays and their stuff is usually really good for the price (which isn't really much more than anywhere else).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
John Lewis is the poshest shop I go to because everything else round here is a pound shop or Home Bargains.