Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"MAN-CHILD OVERBOARD!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Aach!

You've mentioned that few people in the strip ever get named, is the boss's name ever given?

And Jesus, Mary Worth is going some places. Though that "everything is a reaction" quote smacks uncomfortably of a guilt complex for Estelle.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
:toot: Happy new year, thread!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Watching kids knock down towers is the single reason for building them.

A truly bad comic.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I would wish to see more of proto-Ballard Street.

Also, lol Wilbur.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

davidspackage posted:

You've mentioned that few people in the strip ever get named, is the boss's name ever given?
Nope, she is only ever "the owner" (technically "the lady owner," since Japanese is often gendered that way). The only characters whose names ever really get used are Emi (who is likewise always and only the very familiar "Emi-chan") and the big regular with the scar, who's called Ganta. Everybody else is either their position / station (like "the antiques dealer" or "the record shop guy") or a nickname (the anal-retentive salaryman with the glasses is called basically "Specs"), or just never called anything at all, although one or two of the other regulars have names have been mentioned once or twice. There's actually a lot of cultural stuff about social standing and social distance tied up in how names are and aren't used in the comic.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
*Estelle looks up from reading the Chronicles* "Old Man Mary, you told me something wonderful would happen if I got back together with Wilbur, but is this it? He drowns, unnoticed, at sea?"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If they do a "what a terrible dream" cop-out they are bad.

If they do a "how could I have been so cruel, only now he is gone do I realise I should have said yes" "we rescued him", they are v bad.

If they do an extended storyline on self blame and Mary has to meddle so that people learn about others having ultimate responsibility for their actions and it being ok to sometimes make other people feel sad, cool.

If she throws herself in the sea after finding out about him and Mary's main concern is "drat, now I gotta find a new home for this cat", :kiss:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao the comments

"FULL ASTERN!" " FULL AHEAD!" "FULL ASTERN!"

"MAN-CHILD OVERBOARD!"

Hooray!!!!
Personal favourite:
'The Sargasso Tattler - 01/09/2021
The North Atlantic island community was shocked today by the appearance of a large noxious slick in the vicinity of the route of major cruise lines. "I can't explain it," Chief Investigator Harvey Clam said. "The substance appears to be mayonnaise."'

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 9, 2022

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

TheMadMilkman posted:

A truly bad comic.

I saw my niece for the first time last month and she lived for doing this. It was fun to see how high I could make it before she swept her little arm through the whole stack.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I can't believe Mary Worth spent a week walking in circles in the park gloating in her successful meddling only to have Wilbur drunkenly fall off a cruise ship omg

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

What an awesome belated birthday present this is for me!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

If the net doesn't pop up, it's not going to help.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
If cartoons have taught me anything is that Estelle will jump right after him trying to rescue him and they’ll both wash up in a beautiful deserted island and have a coconuts house and monkey butlers

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I hope Wilbur is saved by a mermaid and she becomes a regular character.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Murdstone posted:

I had to bring this to you all as soon as I saw it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Green Intern posted:

What an awesome belated birthday present this is for me!

Happy birthday! :toot:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: growing up (May 16-22, 2005)

And so Coney graduates from toddler to small child. Congrats.

Modern Kevin & Kell

I think that in modern strips she's supposed to be, like, eight to ten years old? Question mark?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "494 - Jucika And The Polite Patient"

Aww.

"495 - Jucika And The Glass Door"

Pffft bahahahahaha.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Quotin' for the new page.

You're free, Estelle! YOU'RE FREE!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Mikl posted:

Happy birthday! :toot:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: growing up (May 16-22, 2005)

Hm, May 21st, 2005... Who else had the high ground that weekend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8wLBOlCKPU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I keep getting 404 errors every time I try to access any page on Comics Kingdom, I can only assume that all the extra traffic from goons trying to see if Wilbur really fell overboard is crashing the site.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Comics Kingdom is down, probably due to crazed Wilbur fans, so today's Rhymes with Dustin is courtesy of Arcamax.

Get Fuzzy 1/8/02

Brenda Starr 12/11-13/47

Smokey Stover 7/8/45

Everyday Movies 9/24/34

"I never danced so much in my whole life before -- I was sweating like a pig -- it was terrible. We had a swell time."

With the decorated church in the background, this one feels like Little Italy to me.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 9, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

I had to bring this to you all as soon as I saw it.

I'm guessing that Wilbur will be saved and it'll be proof to Estelle that she needs to accept Wilbur's proposal because "he needs someone to take care of him!". But I'm hoping I'm wrong and that she's over it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

If the net doesn't pop up, it's not going to help.
It looks less like a jump and more like the ramp ends completely horizontal so all the net is going to do is risk trapping the front of the skies if they dip down even slightly. Goodbye legs.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Bless you, How Wonderful.

Blonderful.

Selachian posted:

Everyday Movies 9/24/34

With the decorated church in the background, this one feels like Little Italy to me.

Btw, do you think it would be possible to write the captions of these in the future?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So apparently Wilbur plunging to his watery grave did indeed break the syndicate's website. What a world

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

TheMadMilkman posted:

A truly bad comic.

With really little kids you can hide your face behind a wall of blocks to combine it with peekaboo. This makes it the funnest game ever.

Say what you want about Mary Worth, but the Estelle-Wilbur Saga has brought us Boombox Wilbur, Wilbur-babies, the epic karaoke battle, and now Wilbur Overboard. It's the gift that keeps giving.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Calaveron posted:

So apparently Wilbur plunging to his watery grave did indeed break the syndicate's website. What a world

Who's going to feed his fish now?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

spookygonk posted:

Who's going to feed his fish now?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale_fall

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Poil posted:

It looks less like a jump and more like the ramp ends completely horizontal so all the net is going to do is risk trapping the front of the skies if they dip down even slightly. Goodbye legs.
The agony of de feet.

:rimshot:

Edit: For you youngsters out there who might not get it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv368yWOSas&t=15s

Presto fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 9, 2022

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

Btw, do you think it would be possible to write the captions of these in the future?

Sure. I did wonder if legibility might be an issue.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
1/9/22: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN WILBUR FELL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

Poor old Ryan doesn’t have an enormous sense of his self-worth. Fortunately, Amy has the robust confidence of those who have never felt compelled to try very hard.