Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
3 stock people in smash using only your rear end or your controller opinions are unqualified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Cut this "control preference" elitism out or I'm gonna smash some skulls, you loving weirdos.

the only controller you will ever need is the resident evil 4 chainsaw controller for the nintendo gamecube

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Bug Fables is good and fun, right? I enjoyed Thousand Year Door and this game looks to be more of that, eh?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mega64 posted:

Cut this "control preference" elitism out or I'm gonna smash some skulls, you loving weirdos.

I can't hear you because im smacking the hell out of my $700 custom made Taiko no Tatsujin controller

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sudden Javelin posted:

3 stock people in smash using only your rear end or your controller opinions are unqualified
Does winning a Soul Calibur match on a DDR dance pad count? :v:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Mega64 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAcGxXSGUZk&t=300s

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Wildtortilla posted:

Bug Fables is good and fun, right? I enjoyed Thousand Year Door and this game looks to be more of that, eh?

I liked it but only once I felt like my team was getting stronger. For a significant stretch in the beginning it just feels like you hit an instant plateau of strength - basically you use up your special attacks and are left with little else to do. Once you get advances in power and ways to recover mp, things start to feel a lot more fun. At least for me.

Honestly though the game is still pretty good with fun characters, story, and a combat system that isn't too crunchy, but still makes you think.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Bought Starlink because it's cheap as hell right now. I thought it controlled like Starfox based on all of the screenshots and videos, but it turns out you can't fly at all in the vast majority of the game... Your ship is anchored like 4 inches above the ground. Why even make a game centered around spaceships if it controls exactly like a standard 3rd person shooter?!

On a related note, are there any good switch titles at all where you fly a ship? Where are the flight games

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I started SMTV yesterday. Ended up having to download it after Amazon lost my physical copy.

I instantly love it. I instantly think it beats the tar out of Persona 4, which is what I was playing previously. I realize that is not a super fair comparison considering Persona 4 Golden is a 10-year-old remake of a PS2 game, but some comparison is inevitable playing them back to back.

I love that the game just hands you the keys, boots your rear end out the door and says "Ok have fun adventuring! Go here if you feel like continuing the story! K bye!'

I love how quickly your demons level up compared to the Personae in P4, and how quickly you get more slots for more Demons. Makes fusing them way easier. Oh and I also like that getting new Demons doesn't rely on RNG drops.

And most of all I like that I'm spending most of my time going around fighting things instead of sitting through high school and chasing after idiots to get Social Links up and getting pulled a million different directions with how to spend my time. poo poo's stupid.

The Negotiations have made me legit crack up a time or two. I successfully negotiated with a Demon, only for it to go "Oh, you're too low level for me. Guess I'll see you later." I was one level lower than it. FFFFFFFFFF. So I gained a level and came back. As soon as I started talking to it, the Demon said "Oh hey it's the guy who was too weak last time! Did you get stronger? You did! Oh cool I'll join you now." And it joined. No fuss no muss.

Then I was talking to some kind of dog demon. The exchange went something like this:
Demon: Hmm, I smell blood!"
Me: I prefer barbecue.
Demon: I wasn't talking about barbecue! Keep your head in the game! Actually I know a really good barbecue place around here. We should go sometime! joins

loving :cawg:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Polo-Rican posted:

Bought Starlink because it's cheap as hell right now. I thought it controlled like Starfox based on all of the screenshots and videos, but it turns out you can't fly at all in the vast majority of the game... Your ship is anchored like 4 inches above the ground. Why even make a game centered around spaceships if it controls exactly like a standard 3rd person shooter?!

On a related note, are there any good switch titles at all where you fly a ship? Where are the flight games

You absolutely can fly as much as you want in the game, it's just more for fast travel rather than fighting. Hold down R, I think, then let go before it triggers the transition to space. There's no real dogfighting except in space.

Sky Rogue is fun, with lots of different types of planes to use. I like to fly a mid range fighter for both air to air missles, and bombs for ground targets. And it has a demo.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 9, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Silver Falcon posted:

I started SMTV yesterday. Ended up having to download it after Amazon lost my physical copy.

I instantly love it. I instantly think it beats the tar out of Persona 4, which is what I was playing previously. I realize that is not a super fair comparison considering Persona 4 Golden is a 10-year-old remake of a PS2 game, but some comparison is inevitable playing them back to back.

I love that the game just hands you the keys, boots your rear end out the door and says "Ok have fun adventuring! Go here if you feel like continuing the story! K bye!'

I love how quickly your demons level up compared to the Personae in P4, and how quickly you get more slots for more Demons. Makes fusing them way easier. Oh and I also like that getting new Demons doesn't rely on RNG drops.

And most of all I like that I'm spending most of my time going around fighting things instead of sitting through high school and chasing after idiots to get Social Links up and getting pulled a million different directions with how to spend my time. poo poo's stupid.

The Negotiations have made me legit crack up a time or two. I successfully negotiated with a Demon, only for it to go "Oh, you're too low level for me. Guess I'll see you later." I was one level lower than it. FFFFFFFFFF. So I gained a level and came back. As soon as I started talking to it, the Demon said "Oh hey it's the guy who was too weak last time! Did you get stronger? You did! Oh cool I'll join you now." And it joined. No fuss no muss.

Then I was talking to some kind of dog demon. The exchange went something like this:
Demon: Hmm, I smell blood!"
Me: I prefer barbecue.
Demon: I wasn't talking about barbecue! Keep your head in the game! Actually I know a really good barbecue place around here. We should go sometime! joins

loving :cawg:

welcome

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

For spaceship flight there's Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. You play as a space smuggler and constantly buy new ships. I think there's a story too but I forgot.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if I'm not emotionally attached to TTYD and don't mind the first party switch tax, was Origami King enjoyable? Was thinking of either that or Pokesnap, and an RPG sounds meatier for the 60 bucks

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's quite charming and worth the price but also understand that it's more of an adventure game more than it's an RPG anymore these days.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

There's plenty of meat on Snap. I tapped out after about 15 hours and I had only unlocked the second region.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Origami King is a good return to form after the awful Sticker Star. Never finished Color Splash so I’m not sure if it’s better or worse than that one

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Walla posted:

There's plenty of meat on Snap. I tapped out after about 15 hours and I had only unlocked the second region.

Note: that meat is grinding the same course repeatedly so you can grind a slightly different version of the course. If repeating the same on rail shooter over and over is your jam you probably won't get bored with it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The New Pokemon Snap rules, it's so good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Len posted:

Note: that meat is grinding the same course repeatedly so you can grind a slightly different version of the course. If repeating the same on rail shooter over and over is your jam you probably won't get bored with it

in the past: ahh cool i unlocked more stuff doing that! wow. wonder what else there is im going to go find out!

now: ugh yeah uh i had to frkeaing grind this game out to get all the content. c- tbh. does NOT respect the players time

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Commander Keene posted:

I don't like rumble and get annoyed when a game (or preferably the console itself on a system level) doesn't allow you to turn it off. Which, guess what, is my main problem with BOTW so far. Game's still good, but why can't I turn the rumble off?

System settings -> controllers and sensors -> controller vibration

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if I'm not emotionally attached to TTYD and don't mind the first party switch tax, was Origami King enjoyable? Was thinking of either that or Pokesnap, and an RPG sounds meatier for the 60 bucks

Keep in mind it's a pretty different game from the oldschool Paper Marios. But it's a pretty neat game in its own right. The battle system will probably be the main point of contention.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Do the Hori pads not have rumble? I like the look of them but I'd probably miss the rumble.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Araxxor posted:

Keep in mind it's a pretty different game from the oldschool Paper Marios. But it's a pretty neat game in its own right. The battle system will probably be the main point of contention.

that should be fine, the only Mario RPG experience I have was with the M+L games cuz I never actually had a Gamecube.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

Do the Hori pads not have rumble? I like the look of them but I'd probably miss the rumble.

no rumble and no nfc (amiibo) support

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Len posted:

Well yeah, it's a rail shooter puzzle game with pokemon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Walla posted:

Well yeah, it's a rail shooter puzzle game with pokemon.

Yeah I get that. But I wasn't expecting to have to repeat course 1-1 x times before I got to see something new. There's only so many times seeing the script run is fun

Stux posted:

in the past: ahh cool i unlocked more stuff doing that! wow. wonder what else there is im going to go find out!

now: ugh yeah uh i had to frkeaing grind this game out to get all the content. c- tbh. does NOT respect the players time

new poo poo is fun and cool! Getting to the new poo poo was not

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The weird thing about Binbok is the word "Joycon" is printed on the board. Almost made me think they were just taking apart RMA Joycon to make these but I looked it up and the board is a different shape.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

origami king is fantastic but i would watch videos of the battle system or something because it can be a sticking point if you get tired of it

hatty posted:

Origami King is a good return to form after the awful Sticker Star. Never finished Color Splash so I’m not sure if it’s better or worse than that one

i haven't played sticker star but color splash is a pretty decent adventure game with an absolutely awful superfluous battle system. origami king destroys it

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
It's actually really easy to get to new courses on New Pokemon Snap of you don't suck complete rear end at the game - 'game expects you to be competent at its basic mechanics' is not 'grind'.

Bleck fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 9, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bleck posted:

It's actually really easy to get to new courses on New Pokemon Snap of you don't suck complete rear end at the game - 'game expects you to be competent at its basoc mechanics' is not 'grind'.

Some of us are bad at videogames

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m on the last boss of Metroid dread and I can’t tell if I’m damaging him

This is sekiro levels of last boss

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

one weird tip

when that big black orb appears, you can power bomb to get it to instantly burst it and get a bunch of health/ammo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you can just swarm missile it idk why everyones obsessed with power bombing it

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You are damaging him if he is any color other than gold. When he's gold, wait for/bait the parry.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i kind of like Metroid's semi-tradition of not having boss health bars, because it adds some fantastic tension to fights, especially when you're low on health, but I do think it's probably a bad idea to do that with bosses with heal phases (not the final boss, mainly thinking of another here)

that said people who got stuck on that boss because of the heal phase are turbo-noobs, the fight could not be more blatantly telling you to use the burst missiles

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Well I thought I was going to buy a game but instead I think I got myself hooked on Slay the Spire again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Stux posted:

you can just swarm missile it idk why everyones obsessed with power bombing it

because then the power bomb has a purpose

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Red posted:

I don't mind paying a little extra for the physical copy - Spiritfarer looks like like it's right up her alley. Thanks, gang!

Just wanted to follow up and let you know my wife was thrilled to open this game - she'd been wondering about it as a friend of hers had suggested it a few months ago, and has been playing it nonstop since. Thanks! :)

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

because then the power bomb has a purpose

The Power Bomb is for blowing up the sun he makes, you can break the black hole with just four missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Rough news today, folks: Piers Harding-Rolls of Ampere Analysis has just concluded that there will be no Switch Pro, shocking everybody who speculated on one for months before launch.