Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I do my shopping at Waitrose. I don't buy the expensive items, just the stuff that's sold in other supermarkets and they are no more expensive. Their wide aisles are wheelchair friendly, and that's the big selling point for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Peter Mandelson, friends with a paedophile? Who could have possibly forseen?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lol I'd seen and posted the belt shopping one a hundred times but the birthday cake one?

This is 100% the press reminding Labour to know their place, doubt it'll come to anything unless they decide that a £100 discount on VAT is too leftwing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Parts of the media have noticed that Mandelson was mates with Epstein!

Wonder why it's just Mandelson they're going after? We may never know.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

Fake e; I find I do this a lot actually. I see someone who is unmitigated dogshit and try and find some, well, mitigating factors. Some minor good things they have done or some aspect that is positive even if it's very insufficient to make up for all the exploitation they do. I think that despite my bitter cynicism I still just... want to believe better of our species and assume that everyone has the potential for good.
People as a whole are generally better than we want to believe, especially when their environment requires it, and refusal to believe that often leads to terrible results. People who are empowered to turn their brain genius ideas into reality as individuals without moderation are often powerfully poo poo.

Our current social reality requires a strong belief in the opposite though.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Marks and Spencer Food Halls
Founded by Howard Marks, Herbert Spencer, FOOD, and Monty Halls

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Waitrose is cheaper than the Co-op.

Round here we have Home Bargains (1 min walk), Waitrose (3 mins walk), M&S Food (3 mins walk), Iceland (6.5 mins walk), Co-op (9 mins walk) and Lidl (20 mins walk).

Expensiveness: ................ Best for: ............................................................................................. Crap for:

M&S ...................................Expensive exotica.............................................................................. Regular shopping unless you want to get a mortgage out to do the weekly shop
Co-op .................................Being open after 4pm on a Sunday...................................................Tinned veg - it is cheap but by god it is foul
Waitrose ............................Icecream selection, gjetost, generally good range of stuff..............Cheap fish fingers
Lidl..................................... Basics, German or Polish exotica, weird stuff In The Middle.......... Range of most stuff
Iceland *.............................. Range of frozen stuff and cheap shopping (always amazed)..........Range of none frozen stuff
Home Bargains..................Really basic stuff.................................................................................Frozen veg that isn't peas, cream that isn't fake cream, regular availability of stuff

*Iceland bonus card - put £20 on and they add a £1 (to spend in there obviously). That must be the highest rate of interest available anywhere on the planet at the moment! And if you're going to spend the dosh in there anyway, well worth doing (and now and then maybe once a year they do a £2 for every £20 you put on it but you have a limited time to spend the extra £1)

(Why don't the BB codes for [table] etc work?)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 9, 2022

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

M&S food has some fantastic deals if you go yellow sticker hunting. My sister and brother in law get entire meals most nights from there for less than a quid each because they go just before closing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

M&S food has some fantastic deals if you go yellow sticker hunting. My sister and brother in law get entire meals most nights from there for less than a quid each because they go just before closing.

Yes that's so. Waitrose also have some good reduced stuff (but obviously no guarantee you'll get what you want). I only buy Higgledy Piggledy pies when they're reduced because you need a mortgage to buy one otherwise. I got a quiche for £1.39 instead of £3 and a Burgen loaf (absolutely delicious highly recommend) for 39p instead of £1.50 the other day and despite saying best before 7th Jan, it was still lovely soft and squashy when I had a philadelphia sandwich binge late last night.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Dabir posted:

Wonder why it's just Mandelson they're going after? We may never know.

He's the top adviser to the Labour party and a nonce.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

We usually go M&S if we're doing something slightly special like a fancy roast or a big picnic. Can't imagine doing a whole weekly shop there - Sainsbury's is expensive enough as it is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Which nonce?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I wish we British didn't use nonce literally so much. Its way, way too funny a word for the behaviour it describes. It makes me laugh every time immediately before feeling sick.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(Why don't the BB codes for [table] etc work?)
Tables haven't worked since 2004 when I joined, I blame little bobby tables.

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

Here's a 2021 breakdown. It focuses mainly on Spotify but includes the others down the page.

https://freeyourmusic.com/blog/how-much-does-spotify-pay-per-stream
Thanks, seems like Tidal is the least unethical, but wasn't there problems with catalog size & exclusivity when they launched? I like the sound of their royalty system though, in direct opposition to Spotify's bullshit:

quote:

On November 17, TIDAL announced the fan-powered royalties, thanks to which artists can benefit directly from their fans and subscribers. This money-making system is far more transparent for musicians than royalties options offered by other music streaming services.

TIDAL will be the first streaming service to pay artists with the money of subscribers who have actually listened to the artist. Other major music services such as Spotify and Apple Music now aggregate their users' money and give most of it to the artists with the greatest success. As a user, you actually pay musicians you never listened to. Many unions and artists have been criticizing this system for years. It favors stars and leaves little for the smaller musicians.

That is why TIDAL is launched the fan-powered royalties system. In this model, the user pays only the artists to whom he or she listens. This will start in January 2022. "TIDAL is supporting artists with fairer earning terms and quicker payments, and fans are getting a better way to support their favorite artists" said Jesse Dorogusker, Head of TIDAL. What's interesting, fans will be able to see see how much their favorite artists are making from their streams in their activity feed.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

jiggerypokery posted:

I wish we British didn't use nonce literally so much. Its way, way too funny a word for the behaviour it describes. It makes me laugh every time immediately before feeling sick.

I may have me tioned this before, both my sisters have had kids over lockdown, and they've independently arrived at the idea that "nonce" means "grouchy". So they'll talk about their kid being noncey, or having a nonce. The mid afternoon post-nap pre-feed period is referred to as "The Noncing Hour"

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Thanks, seems like Tidal is the least unethical, but wasn't there problems with catalog size & exclusivity when they launched? I like the sound of their royalty system though, in direct opposition to Spotify's bullshit:

If you care about what else the people running the company do, in terms of ethics, might want to be aware that Spotify's CEO isn't looking great. (although finding a tech firm CEO who isn't in some way horrendous may be a challenge). https://www.rollingstone.co.uk/music/news/spotify-ceo-daniel-ek-criticised-by-artists-for-investing-e100-million-in-ai-tech-6943/

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In terms of ethics the best thing is to buy what you want and stick it in your online storage then find a music app that lets you link to it, a few of them have integration with OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. It's a lot less involved than setting up a Plex server or whatever as well.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51-yInqxC3U

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yeah but they don't give a gently caress about noncing and I'm sure there's other major Labour figures they could go after.

it's at least partly cause he's gay

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If you care about what else the people running the company do, in terms of ethics, might want to be aware that Spotify's CEO isn't looking great. (although finding a tech firm CEO who isn't in some way horrendous may be a challenge). https://www.rollingstone.co.uk/music/news/spotify-ceo-daniel-ek-criticised-by-artists-for-investing-e100-million-in-ai-tech-6943/
Yeah Trashfuture did an episode on it, and as with so many of tech 'innovations' it boils down to (a) union busting, (b) underpaying gig workers and (c) a wizard will fix it, where (c) is AI that will morally absolve them when it doubles down on (a) & (b) to make them rich.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I am aware, a number of the bbcode functionalities are disabled on the forum (and have been for decades) because they didn't want people to be able to format their posts too much.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Dabir posted:

Yeah but they don't give a gently caress about noncing and I'm sure there's other major Labour figures they could go after.

You could say it's cos he's Jewish as well, but him being incredibly close to a notorious sex trafficker is newsworthy.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The Tidal payment thing is good in theory, but in practice, unless you listen to your favourite obscure struggling artist hundreds of times in a month, your £2 is probably going to go to The Beatles or whatever other background music you put on when other people are around.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Perfect Element posted:

The Tidal payment thing is good in theory, but in practice, unless you listen to your favourite obscure struggling artist hundreds of times in a month, your £2 is probably going to go to The Beatles or whatever other background music you put on when other people are around.

You don't put your Death Grips and Necrophagist on shuffle when the in-laws pop round?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

In terms of ethics the best thing is to buy what you want and stick it in your online storage then find a music app that lets you link to it, a few of them have integration with OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. It's a lot less involved than setting up a Plex server or whatever as well.

CloudPlayer works for that.

If you have a Plex setup, PlexAmp is good.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

You don't put your Death Grips and Necrophagist on shuffle when the in-laws pop round?

Many years ago when my nephew now in his 30s was about 5, I got my dad to put one of my cassettes on in the car: Cannibal Corpse, Cancer etc. **
Nephew: Grandad, is that monsters?
Grandad: Yes, Nephew*, I think it probably is.

*obviously used the kid's actual name.

** weird to think these bands are getting on for 34 years old now and I was still a twenty-something babe-in-arms.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 9, 2022

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Depressingly, I really don't think all the celebrities and politicians who were friends with child sex offenders were out of step with the views of the population at the time. In the 1990s, when paedophile Sidney Cooke was up for parole for killing a 14 year old in 1985, the victim was still being referred to as a 'rent boy' in the tabloids. In 2007 NME published an article about a new Marc Bolan documentary under the headline "Huge Rock Star lost his virginity aged nine". They weren't outsiders in the music press, as Classic Rock had matter-of-factly printed that Bolan was a 15 year old rent boy before his band hit it big. And, much to my shame, in the 90s I used to watch trashy US chat shows in my lunch break, like Sally Jessy Raphael and Jenny Jones, and they would frequently feature 'out of control teens' who would be booed and hissed as the audience was told they were sexually active and were made to have a pregnancy test.

Nobody complained! There was no outrage! The public accepted describing children as prostitutes and blaming them for their situations. It is horrifying to look back at how much child sexual exploitation was openly reported and how complacent people were. If you read that NME article and didn't go "WTF, this is describing a 9 year old boy being raped" then congratulations, you were part of the problem. It's no wonder the victims didn't come forward sooner and it's no wonder the powerful thought they could get away with their behaviour.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Doesn't John Lewis somewhat treat its staff like human being also? I remember when I was younger it was regarded as one of the better retail jobs to have.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mega Comrade posted:

Doesn't John Lewis somewhat treat its staff like human being also? I remember when I was younger it was regarded as one of the better retail jobs to have.

Until recently (they seem to have stopped in the last year or two) they made their staff wear suits though. Imagine wearing a suit to work a till.

Similarly all Waitrose staff used to have to look immaculate. I applied when I was 18 and knew I had no chance in the group interview when I was the lone fat, long haired oval office in a room of A&F models.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

John Lewis treat my brother like crap when they were trying to set up Carphone Warehouse stalls in there.

Kept relocating the stall to the back of the bottom floor, away from any footfall. Wouldn't put their signage up in the front windows, wouldn't put their leaflets by the tills. Basically were incredibly hostile to any suggestions that asked them to change their stores at all, and kept saying "That's not the John Lewis way."

The manager was an absolute arsehole who kept reminding my brother that he was a 'guest in their store' and that he would 'respect the real managers here.' He tried going above the guys head to the person who organised the franchise deal because this arsehole was spiking it, but was told by someone at JL to respect the chain of command and then got an extra bollocking from the JL manager, who tried to send him and his staff home, even though he didn't have the authority to fire carphone staff.

The scheme fell through because - surprise surprise - they weren't selling any phones, then blamed Carphone for the whole thing.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

They do a profit-sharing scheme with employees which I assume is where that all comes from

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There's was a guy on checkouts in our local Waitrose for a long time who was the gooniest looking motherfucker I've ever seen. Mid 50s, 5 foot high, potbellied and a godawful greasy pulled back ponytail, dunno how he got past recruitment but what a king

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dabir posted:

It's really not. They've also had a go at Campbell recently. They go after them because they are absolute loving scum with more skeletons in the closet than a mortuary (technically they are in drawers but a drawer is like a horizontal closet really). Easy targets who have recently stuck their heads over the parapet.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Absolutely. How else do you get rid of them if not by blasting Death Grips - No Love Deep Web, ensuring the album cover is clearly on display?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Christ. I want to pay for a music streaming service next year, but according to this, Amazon are currently the service that pay artists the most:

https://twitter.com/MrTomGray/status/1251415657486471175?t=ZKqEO2AMkQbc6N7LslI-iA&s=19

Is that right? Are there any other caveats to keep in mind? The missus wants to get spotify because you can get a couples deal and share playlists, but i'd rather a service that pays artists more. Of course on balance they're all pretty loving shocking but the least I can do is choose the least poo poo option.

And no, I'm not carrying a plex server round in a backpack.

Bearing in mind that those streaming service payouts cover everyone with a share of royalties: publishers, writers, performers, etc., and that super massive artists get much more generous deals than everyone else, the actual amount your favourite band makes from a stream is far less than the numbers suggest. As far as I can tell, buying a single album from Bandcamp for $7 or so probably gets more money directly to the artist than a lifetime of streaming.

e: not to suggest that for instance songwriters are less deserving of payment than performers. Obviously they get paid if you buy from Bandcamp too, as so publishers if artists have a deal with them rather than releasing the music themselves.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 9, 2022

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Noxville posted:

They do a profit-sharing scheme with employees which I assume is where that all comes from

Not just a profit-sharing scheme - the John Lewis Partnership is fully employee-owned so as well as an annual dividend there's an amount of internal democracy, since the workers are also the shareholders. They have a series of holiday centres around the UK which partners can stay at for ridiculously cheap prices, and include some of the farms that provide their produce in the partnership.

IIRC there's been some ladder-pulling in recent years, with JLP partners who have enjoyed decades of mutual benefits voting to either decrease benefits for newer members or to make increasing use of agency and temp workers who are therefore not partners and don't get the benefits while protecting the partners' dividend.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

On the subject of music, an old band I used to session with signed a 5 album deal with Sony/Edel back in 94. It was a kiss of death contract, where the record label gives a ton of money to the band to record, but they have to choose from a list of studios/agents/producers etc. Everyone on the list is somehow connected to the parent company.

It's a literal tax write-off, and the label purposefully did a really bad job at mixing and producing the first album. You could barely hear the vocals in some of the tracks. The album had no promotion, no radio airplay and to fulfil their side of the contract, they supplied ONE copy of the CD to each of the main record stores.

The lead singer ended up owing £150,000 to the label, which was a lot of money in 1994 terms, and he still had to fulfil his side of the contact and provide 4 more albums. Each submission was binned on sight, and he was unable to perform under his real name or produce any recordings until the contract was torn up many years later. Each label used to sign up a number of bands each year for this purpose. They probably still do....

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The True Posh look down their noses at Waitrose and M&S being for the oiks and shop at Fortnam and Masons or the Selfridges food hall (Harrods food hall is for tourists).

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 9, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The True True Posh sit on their tod in the corner of a Pizza Express in Woking rubbing one out.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

fuctifino posted:

On the subject of music, an old band I used to session with signed a 5 album deal with Sony/Edel back in 94. It was a kiss of death contract, where the record label gives a ton of money to the band to record, but they have to choose from a list of studios/agents/producers etc. Everyone on the list is somehow connected to the parent company.

It's a literal tax write-off, and the label purposefully did a really bad job at mixing and producing the first album. You could barely hear the vocals in some of the tracks. The album had no promotion, no radio airplay and to fulfil their side of the contract, they supplied ONE copy of the CD to each of the main record stores.

The lead singer ended up owing £150,000 to the label, which was a lot of money in 1994 terms, and he still had to fulfil his side of the contact and provide 4 more albums. Each submission was binned on sight, and he was unable to perform under his real name or produce any recordings until the contract was torn up many years later. Each label used to sign up a number of bands each year for this purpose. They probably still do....

while the state of the music industry is pretty bad for artists nowadays (yeah streaming doesn't pay much - esp if your label/management take the vast majority of the income, people don't generally buy music anymore and live performances are a bit of a problem nowadays for Obvious Reasons), it's nearly impossible to put into words just how much Worse it was just 20-30 years ago. especially if you're not an A-lister, but things could get pretty grim even if you are

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

BalloonFish posted:

Not just a profit-sharing scheme - the John Lewis Partnership is fully employee-owned so as well as an annual dividend there's an amount of internal democracy, since the workers are also the shareholders. They have a series of holiday centres around the UK which partners can stay at for ridiculously cheap prices, and include some of the farms that provide their produce in the partnership.

IIRC there's been some ladder-pulling in recent years, with JLP partners who have enjoyed decades of mutual benefits voting to either decrease benefits for newer members or to make increasing use of agency and temp workers who are therefore not partners and don't get the benefits while protecting the partners' dividend.
When I worked for one of these, almost everyone was a minimum wage agency worker, only a handful of partners in the entire business. Also I'm told that at the offices &c they literally have separate entrances & lifts for "senior partners", which is mostly just an aesthetic objection but it directly contradicts their corporate propaganda. The nicer holiday places & whatnot are also reserved for "senior partners" (& the regular ones aren't much good either if you're earning £8 an hour, JL pay absolute poo poo & keep trotting out the "but look at all the discounts you get [on things that nobody earning their lovely wages can afford even with the discount]", & people believe it :jerkbag:)

They're better than most employers in the same way that Labour is better than the Tories - i.e., they pay lip service to workers' rights but in reality it's just branding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

nurmie posted:

while the state of the music industry is pretty bad for artists nowadays (yeah streaming doesn't pay much - esp if your label/management take the vast majority of the income, people don't generally buy music anymore and live performances are a bit of a problem nowadays for Obvious Reasons), it's nearly impossible to put into words just how much Worse it was just 20-30 years ago. especially if you're not an A-lister, but things could get pretty grim even if you are

One of my brothers played in a band years ago. At some point in the 90s, this band from Herefordshire got 'a London gig' and they were so over the moon. Turned out it was at the Rock Garden in Covent Garden on a Sunday night. The contract included not only having to pay for their own amps, sound desk etc, but also bring a coach load of fans with them.

Then another time they got a gig in Fulham on a Saturday evening - not The Greyhound - but to them it was 'a London gig'. From where I was living in London at the time, Fulham might as well have been Outer Space. Not only that but there were a bazillion other gigs going on in London the same evening including a couple of huge bands (I think Police were one of them IIRC) so of course who is going to see a non-entity band noone's ever heard of, in a pub a zillion miles from central London. The cursing and blinding of the band at the end when about 5 people had turned up (including myself* - nearly 2 hours travel one way) about how 'London people don't know how to enjoy themselves' 'if we played a gig in Ross it would be full of people enjoying themselves' (forgetting that there would have been just one pub with a gig on in Ross on a Saturday evening- almost a captive audience and people who all knew various band members).

*totally not my type of music - all soft 'american' rock and I gave up the chance to see a decent band to 'show support'.

Really, London venues used to take the complete piss out of yokel bands who were clueless about the sheer size of London and the competition on any given night.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 9, 2022