Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Panfilo posted:

I thought the collector was supposed to be in this update? Glad they buffed Wicked Hack/Iron Swan. The healing debuff you'll get from Wicked Hack+ sounds useful because unlike the first game quite a few enemies can heal.

I'm also curious how they'll do additional chapters, since I doubt we'll see many new biomes. It'll be kind of a drag if each new chapter is virtually the same thing only a slightly different brain fight at the end.

I imagine it’ll be increasing the difficulty of the run as a whole, adding more enemies to existing biomes (which difficulty did in DD1) and maybe adding enemies into packs cross biomes. Like the cultists for the brain start showing up in other enemy groupings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

DLC Inc posted:

Also glad Wayne June is getting new lines over time; I was thinking he had way too little reactions to things, especially after the 3rd straight "there is comfort in company."

he always had them but they hadn’t been implemented yet

also time for me to break my silence on the deep deep meanings of one of my team names. The wiki notes “highway to hell” is an AC/DC single and mentions some garbled nonsense about the hellion’s unlock order. I called it that because the lineup starts with the highwayman and ends with the hellion. Highwayman to hellion. Get it? Get it?? I swear, the beauty of my prose, totally wasted :v:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Xibanya posted:

also time for me to break my silence on the deep deep meanings of one of my team names. The wiki notes “highway to hell” is an AC/DC single and mentions some garbled nonsense about the hellion’s unlock order. I called it that because the lineup starts with the highwayman and ends with the hellion. Highwayman to hellion. Get it? Get it?? I swear, the beauty of my prose, totally wasted :v:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Xibanya posted:

We've come full circle.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 13, 2022

temple
Jul 29, 2006

1st run post December patch and wouldn't you know...
Consistent crit heals are helping. Tried a new setup with hellion (yawp+) and it worked better. The trophy helped and was cute to see boss baby's head behind the stagecoach. Oasis nodes are unnecessary imo. Only had 1 scary dd check but otherwise pretty smooth. Trying an occultist healer next time.

edit: stun resist is really nice, resisted 2 chain stuns because of it.

temple fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 24, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Apparently a mod was released for DD1 that involves the Skaven from Warhammer? A whole new dungeon, mechanics, enemies and bosses and thankfully, no stupidly huge breasts like in Black Reliquary.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Samovar posted:

and thankfully, no stupidly huge breasts like in Black Reliquary.

Wow. Sounds like a big waste of time.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Samovar posted:

and thankfully, no stupidly huge breasts like in Black Reliquary.

the rats or the heroes?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I'm doing a challenge and for 3 runs in a row, a character died on their first dd check. 4th run, fine. 5th run, it happens again. So I turn on youtube. edit: 6th run, 1st dd check failed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoV2MK8f6d0

I know Shuffle is a cry baby and he feels the game is too random/hard but its awfully suspicious that the same thing happened to him. I love the game and I'm doing a challenge so I thought it was just me making the game harder than it had to be.

temple fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 2, 2022

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Been a while since I played this but I got turned off by the length of each fight and how many enemies gave themselves a bunch of dodge etc tokens that just made them miserable to fight for the same reason. Has an update been released for this or is it just the way of the game?

Getting disappointed in this did get me heavily back into the first game at least

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

It's just the way of the game yeah, at least so far. The game does give you tools to counter them though. AOE like Bellow can remove Dodge tokens from all enemies, for example

temple
Jul 29, 2006

DD2 Roadmap

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

temple posted:

DD2 Roadmap

This is awesome to see. By the by, we've got 8 more months until it gets on steam?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So it looks like 2 more biomes and 3 more heroes. Rumor has it one of the heroes is going to be the Bounty Hunter. Which means 2 or less heroes will end up being new like the Runaway. Which is a little disappointing. I get that people want their favorite hero to come back, everyone has questions about Reynaulds fate, etc but it would be nice to see more new content instead of just a rehash of the old, and this is coming from someone who loved the original.

Jose posted:

Been a while since I played this but I got turned off by the length of each fight and how many enemies gave themselves a bunch of dodge etc tokens that just made them miserable to fight for the same reason. Has an update been released for this or is it just the way of the game?

Getting disappointed in this did get me heavily back into the first game at least
Dodge tokens aren't that universal on enemies, the only ones persistent with them are cultists and ghouls. Simply hitting them removes it even if you miss, as mentioned aoe is good for stripping them off and there's direct skills that bypass and/or remove dodge.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

As much as I love the old crew I hope all the heroes planned are new. It’s crazy to me that we only got one new class.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I just want to see the flaggelant fully animated. I'm sure I spelled that wrong.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

temple posted:

DD2 Roadmap

Man, thought we'd get another hero sooner, but ah well. If Bounty Hunter is one of them I'd love that, his design was fantastic. I'd much rather seen Reynauld / The Vestal pop up again as tainted/cursed battles much like another of their friends does. I'm not that attached to many of the other characters so BH was always my top pick.

Been a bit since last I played so I'm eager to try out the Occultist more and unlock more stuff for the roster. Looking forward to the rest of the ride---DD1 was a rollercoaster in its open access as well but ultimately the end product was excellent, not really concerned about the journey as I'm pretty certain the destination will be worth it. Red Hook is one of the few indie devs I 100% trust given they've been great at taking feedback into consideration.

After the big brain thingy in Act 1 I'm curious what other weirdo poo poo will be unveiled for future bosses. I want at least one of them to be a demonic version of a DD1 hero.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The Colon of Anger
The Kidneys of Bargaining
The Lungs of Depression
The Liver of Acceptance

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Cool picture of the classic bois

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Jojo's Darkest Adventure

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!
New patch just dropped yesterday :toot:

They've added a new node: the uhhh Beast Lair. Inside it is a two-wave combat. Unlike the other nodes with waves, this is all in one combat; they just spawn in. Winning nets you a monster part that sits in the inventory and grants a mastery point and a discount on stuff when you turn it in at the next inn.

The Beasty Zone has: Dogs. Crawlers (both sizes). Spiders (both kinds :( ). There's a boss-type guy in there. It's fun!

Brigands got 2 new units- their own Dog, and Firebreathers, which are a fun little unit that finally brings fire dots out of the Sprawl. She's cool. Swine got the Skiver back. That's not cool.

The heroes have had a big balance pass (I have not really dug into it, but people seem pleased), and now heroes can come with Paths; they're basically different specialties. I currently have a Hellion with one and it's hilarious: +health, +damage in the front row, in exchange for -bleed and a 1:4 chance to bleed herself. Who cares, when I can fuckin' DELETE people even harder?

Additionally, they can also sometimes come with a skill Mastered or (apparently) with ALL skills mastered, which is hilarious and will be good.

The items have also had an overhaul to explicitly say what they do, and the chances of doing whatever it is. I miss the little fluff lines, though, and I hope they put them back in 😔.

The oasis is now actually useful, and now you can also pack some of the water up as a combat item that does a smidge of healing and also knock off 3 stress.

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/1496560755243577344?s=20&t=5fjeE5jjYA-eNYA_Ya8U1w the tweet here will take you to the actual patchnotes.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
So where do I go for some DD2 tips? Or what's the current meta? I'm getting worn out super fast, dealing no damage, and dealing with poor relationships super quick and I'm not sure what I can do to adjust. Is it just a case of improving my hope level and finishing the shrines of reflection because I'm still in that 5-10 range.

I'm hoping I'm just looking with rose colored glasses between DD1 and DD2 but I'm not digging it all all so far.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It'll get easier as you unlock more stuff along the way. You want to get affinity as high as possible early on which can snowball further on down the line. Save your money for laudinum at traige hospitals, try to keep stress as low as possible.

The first area is always the hardest because you have little mastery points to work with. Recent changes might make this a bit easier as I think you can sometimes start with a hero that has random masteries which helps.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!

GodspeedSphere posted:

So where do I go for some DD2 tips? Or what's the current meta? I'm getting worn out super fast, dealing no damage, and dealing with poor relationships super quick and I'm not sure what I can do to adjust. Is it just a case of improving my hope level and finishing the shrines of reflection because I'm still in that 5-10 range.

I'm hoping I'm just looking with rose colored glasses between DD1 and DD2 but I'm not digging it all all so far.

There's a rough hump until you get far enough to unlock everyone.

There's items that you'll unlock, as well as abilities/quirks on the heroes too. Don't beat yourself up over it :). Another thing that helps is realizing that, much like DD1, HP is secondary. Stress management is more important. Remember that in p much any event you come across you'll have chances to work on affinity between characters. In DD2, you even get chances to heal up at the inns between biomes.

Another thing a lot of new people miss is that Loathing is super important to manage too. Top left corner, the spooky diamonds. You want to do combats (not the road ones, the actual nodes with combat) to knock it down. If it's 3 or higher, it's chewing your Torchlight down to nothing and makes affinity worse.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Drewjitsu posted:

This is awesome to see. By the by, we've got 8 more months until it gets on steam?
I have to imagine exclusivity deals begin at launch, not Early Access opening.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

I have to imagine exclusivity deals begin at launch, not Early Access opening.

Hades went over to steam before they went 1.0. I imagine this is no different.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

GodspeedSphere posted:

Yeah. I hate saying this because I've got like 400 hours in DD, but I think the problem is that DD2 isn't... good?

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Next question, is there a way to speed it up? Everything is so slow.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, how is the game nowadays? I got it like day 3 because it was an absolute steal with the EGS coupon, but didn't put much time into it.

Also, is progress going to be reset when it leaves EA or...?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Hero Path thing seems like kind of a simplification to very obvious roles you could make yourself in DD1. For instance, Plague doctors are either Surgeon or Alchemist, one is more physical and gets bleed bonuses, the other more ranged/buffs and better Blight stuff. In DD1 I could just do this myself by picking 4 of the 8 skills and then bolstering the ones I liked to make my skills adhere more to bleed/blight. Not much of a downgrade or upgrade from previous game, more like a sidestep since you can't upgrade skills in the same ways anymore / it's more restricted and each skill only really gets one big upgrade with your few points.

The combo system is nice and I get what they're trying to do with the relationships/no heals outside of battles/limiting how often some skills can activate but aside from that it just feel merely "okay." A lot of things have been more streamlined and more often than not I've felt that it took away from the gradual advancement from the first game. Besides the hero flashback stuff there's really nothing you're constantly building, it's just a singular run with your dudes and that's it, taking out a lot of the previous game's micromanagement of town upgrades or your individual characters. And again I get that the devs wanted to deviate from DD1 and not just have an incremental upgrade from the first game / wanted both to feel like they could stand on their own and not make the first game obsolete. I will say though, if I had played the concept of DD2 first I probably wouldn't be as into the series as a whole. Still many months to go for things to change though so I'm still gonna play every few weeks or so.

I will say that the art direction/graphical animation is fantastic. They found a way to do 3D models in a way that just looks awesome, leaves the previous game in the dust.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

DLC Inc posted:

The Hero Path thing seems like kind of a simplification to very obvious roles you could make yourself in DD1. For instance, Plague doctors are either Surgeon or Alchemist, one is more physical and gets bleed bonuses, the other more ranged/buffs and better Blight stuff. In DD1 I could just do this myself by picking 4 of the 8 skills and then bolstering the ones I liked to make my skills adhere more to bleed/blight. Not much of a downgrade or upgrade from previous game, more like a sidestep since you can't upgrade skills in the same ways anymore / it's more restricted and each skill only really gets one big upgrade with your few points.

The combo system is nice and I get what they're trying to do with the relationships/no heals outside of battles/limiting how often some skills can activate but aside from that it just feel merely "okay." A lot of things have been more streamlined and more often than not I've felt that it took away from the gradual advancement from the first game. Besides the hero flashback stuff there's really nothing you're constantly building, it's just a singular run with your dudes and that's it, taking out a lot of the previous game's micromanagement of town upgrades or your individual characters. And again I get that the devs wanted to deviate from DD1 and not just have an incremental upgrade from the first game / wanted both to feel like they could stand on their own and not make the first game obsolete. I will say though, if I had played the concept of DD2 first I probably wouldn't be as into the series as a whole. Still many months to go for things to change though so I'm still gonna play every few weeks or so.

I will say that the art direction/graphical animation is fantastic. They found a way to do 3D models in a way that just looks awesome, leaves the previous game in the dust.
I think part of the challenge was that by changing the pacing to a more self contained Roguelike they had to streamline a lot of stuff in the process. Now the upside here is that gameplay is less opaque and more tactical; the token system gives a more explicit play/counterplay to it via applying, removing, and bypassing tokens. Healing as a whole is more accessible so there's less pressure on specific skills to provide it.

But the downside as you mentioned is that stuff I would have liked expanded was instead stripped down and made less granular. By having a skill only have a base/mastered version it's harder to balance in a way that both makes it good to upgrade without the base version feeling worthless up to that point. Specialization was borne out of the limitation of 2 trinket slots and the fact they used to be tradeoffs/sidegrades. There was enjoyment in building up a hero from a narrative sense but the grim reality of 'don't yet too attached' since death was always around the corner.

I see where they were going with it though I kind of wish they went in the direction Diablo 3 did - You have base skills and instead of just getting linearly stronger they get alternate variants. This could have been built into the metaprogression they established.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the roguelike format hurts it most imo, it's a lot harder to care about what happens to your group when you don't have to deal with them back in town, and your crusader really needs some one-on-one time with God but of loving course the caretaker chose this week to become a devout catholic

without that aspect it's just guy dead oh well *reset*

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Yeah. Basically everything Red Hook has done with Darkest Dungeon subsequent to retail release of the first game indicates to me that they fundamentally do not understand what made it so compelling.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Time_pants posted:

Yeah. Basically everything Red Hook has done with Darkest Dungeon subsequent to retail release of the first game indicates to me that they fundamentally do not understand what made it so compelling.

"The game Red Hook wants to make" and "The game everyone enjoys playing" have been directly at odds for a while yeah. There's always been a weird dichotomy there, even looking through this thread after almost every update there's always a few "uh does Red Hook actually play their own game at all" points.

DD2 is just all of that coming to a head. No longer shackled by the chains of a good game, they're finally free to fully express themselves.

e: TBF They'll probably get a decent game out of it in the year of Early Access, but I think it's too inherently flawed to hit it's predecessor's all-time-great status.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Need someone from Red Hook to hop on now and yell at everyone for being amateurs who do not understand game design, followed by a haughty sniffing sound.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

Need someone from Red Hook to hop on now and yell at everyone for being amateurs who do not understand game design, followed by a haughty sniffing sound.

The weird Daikatana PR in this thread also doesn't help yes, though the graphics team at least has something to be super-proud of. Game's real pretty.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm more optimistic than pessimistic tbh due to how well the DD1 early access was i.e. when the playerbase said something sucked rear end it was almost always addressed and fixed/changed, to the point where even something people were torn on (corpses being left behind) got a toggle switch in the options. Case in point: Everyone collectively saying "these fuckers never shut the gently caress up" in the first two weeks of early access and Red Hook almost immediately tinkered with the relationship/dialogue frequencies.

Yinlock posted:

There's always been a weird dichotomy there, even looking through this thread after almost every update there's always a few "uh does Red Hook actually play their own game at all" points.

Yeah this happened a lot with DD1 where things would be flung at the wall a lot to see what stuck, there were SO many changes between the first year and the official released version. Sometimes it was messy but I appreciated how quickly the mad scientist devs reacted to what they poured into the game and the speed at which they remedy things.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
I think I can still say that my favourite parts about the game were things goons worked on. The character interactions and art was great. The gameplay was not.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

SlyFrog posted:

I know this is aimed at me. Click the ? under my name and tell me where this ever happened. I had gently caress all to do with the gameplay, if y’all like the graphics I’m a happy camper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Going back to DD1, I've been sleeping on the December release of another giant mod.

Darkest Dungeon Vermintide
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2683922974

It brings the Skaven from Warhammer into Darkest Dungeon, in an expansion rivalling Crimson Court in size. I've tried it for a little bit now, and it's crazy good. They captured the spirit of the Skaven perfectly with the various enemy types and mechanics. And while it has a Crimson Curse-esque mechanic with warpstone addiction, it's more forgiving and basically ditched the truly annoying parts of dealing with the curse.