Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Subversive Cult as the descriptor for your civilization is a good time, yeah. There needs to be a way to dramatically increase Crime in the base game though. Maybe a Crimelords dlc like they just did for Aquatics, the whole system needs some love imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

ilkhan posted:

I don't think I've ever played as megacorp and really not sure what the benefits are.

The main gimmick is being able to build branch offices on planets belonging to other empires, which is like a mini colony that scales according to how well developed the planet is. In theory you could expand to cover the galaxy in branch offices, but tracking down which planets don't have an office already (including rival megacorp offices) is a massive pain in the rear end and really needs its own overlay view.

The other sticking point is that you're at the mercy of the AI for the survival of your branch offices, so if the crisis happens and planets start getting eaten you might be looking at a slow death spiral as you get starved of income. At least the AI fixes in the latest patch means you probably won't end up with braindead AI, like the last game I played as megacorp where my first office was my neighbors capital and they literally never upgraded it by the time the game ended.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

isndl posted:

The main gimmick is being able to build branch offices on planets belonging to other empires, which is like a mini colony that scales according to how well developed the planet is. In theory you could expand to cover the galaxy in branch offices, but tracking down which planets don't have an office already (including rival megacorp offices) is a massive pain in the rear end and really needs its own overlay view.

The other sticking point is that you're at the mercy of the AI for the survival of your branch offices, so if the crisis happens and planets start getting eaten you might be looking at a slow death spiral as you get starved of income. At least the AI fixes in the latest patch means you probably won't end up with braindead AI, like the last game I played as megacorp where my first office was my neighbors capital and they literally never upgraded it by the time the game ended.

Yeah the MegaCorp basically is dependent on other friendly empires doing well and also choosing to produce lots of trade. Realistically this is probably not going to happen to any great extent, so that's one anchor around their neck. Secondly, MegaCorps use some new themed jobs instead of the standard ones, and are supposed to be better at producing trade - except they really aren't that great and didn't get much love in the recent trade bump, so that's a second anchor. Basically anything you can do with a MegaCorp, you can do better with another empire. I've often used them to test out strategies and stuff for that reason.

The one decent / exploitative strategy you can do with them is start as a MegaCorps, spin off a friendly subsidiary in some minor system, and then switch to being a Merchant Guild. The vassal MegaCorp will buff all your planets and help you build a Trade League, and you can play a normal empire.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 7, 2022

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Unironically the best thing about Megacorps is the shared burdens civic, though that one should really require that your starting race be Avian imo.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

There was the empire build put earlier - the one with merchant guilds and uhhh master crafters I think? that went really hard on trade and wound up being as good if not better than a megacorp at being what a megacorp should be.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Relevant Tangent posted:

though that one should really require that your starting race be Avian imo.

Why?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I think the joke is shared bird'n

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Horace Kinch posted:

I like to play Criminal Megacorp in my friend's multi-player games just to troll them into war-deccing me.

Playing friendly megacorp to an allied player and building bonus offices on their worlds is pretty cool too.

But yeah outside of that i hate playing megacorps, especially if there's a couple others in the galaxy, who immediately get offices on every planet.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Megacorps needed an expansive, dedicated set of gameplay mechanics to make them anything more than the average empire with an extra building option. The criminal ones are a real pain in the rear end because as far as I remember there's no way to get rid of their branches without a full-scale galactic war as opposed to, like, three nerds in a space cubicle filing paperwork

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

DaysBefore posted:

Megacorps needed an expansive, dedicated set of gameplay mechanics to make them anything more than the average empire with an extra building option. The criminal ones are a real pain in the rear end because as far as I remember there's no way to get rid of their branches without a full-scale galactic war as opposed to, like, three nerds in a space cubicle filing paperwork

There's an event that can trigger on worlds with low crime that will remove the branch. Initially it happened really often (meaning there was no point to building the branches at all), but the devs extended the cooldown to 10 years. If you provide the Enforcers, the criminal branches will eventually be removed. The Trade, Crime, Piracy, and Cohesion systems could use a collective pass, in my opinion.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

isndl posted:

tracking down which planets don't have an office already (including rival megacorp offices) is a massive pain in the rear end and really needs its own overlay view.

Agreed. I learned recently that if you select a planet you have a branch office on, tab will cycle through the other empires planets, including ones you haven't built on yet. Before that I looked around in space for systems with planets in them, which was a total pain.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Relevant Tangent posted:

strictly roleplaying

always the best way to play Stellaris

after my last aquatic run ended with me winning so hard it got kind of boring, I restarted again with a really peaceful, open-minded space vampire species openly inviting all aliens into their waiting arms

even without being allowed to start as a xenophile, I'm having a blast, my empire is such a good place to live not even conquering some primitives made anyone bat an eye stalk, after the shooting stopped their lives even actually improved a lot

now the first migration treaties are rolling in because we're so nice, and I can't stop laughing

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Anglers is a civic, yeah, so you can’t take it as a Megacorp?

Because business fish might persuade me to buy the Aquatics pack.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

LonsomeSon posted:

You can have anglers as a megacorp. They've done a good job lately of making megacorp versions of new civics.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

LonsomeSon posted:

Like several DLC civics (memorialist, catalytic processing) there are variants for non-standard empires.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

!!!!!!!!! Both Angler and Catalytic?!

Fishmech GmbH is imminent

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Anglers is trade focused, so it makes perfect sense that you can combo it with a Megacorp.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So does Becoming the Crisis not actually prevent a regular Crisis, or only prevent it if you hit level 5? I got to level 4 and then backed off because the local Ancient Empire was giving me sass and I didn't want them attacking me before I was ready for it.

So naturally, when I was just finishing up crushing them under my heel and was bombarding their capital system, but had lost three fleets and everyone else was badly mauled, the game decided to spring the Unbidden on me. The Crisis that doesn't give you a warning first, and it hit in 2405. I think the AI is a bit angry with me.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Anticheese posted:

I think the joke is shared bird'n

:yeshaha:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CapnAndy posted:

So does Becoming the Crisis not actually prevent a regular Crisis

It does not, unless of course you manage to win the game before the crisis fires.

Also the unbidden totally has a warning.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

My one time as the crisis the Unbidden showed up and were rampaging through a different part of the galaxy from my home space so naturally, I ignored them. When they cleared out a neighboring empire I cleared them from the now neutral space and proceeded on my journey, detonating the galaxy when they were at about a quarter conquered. I think the other two had just arrived?

“We come to feeeeeeed”

“Lol nope pushes big red button

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
I had the unbidden pop up. Right next to a gateway. They took 1 extra system before I turned up with 250k's worth of fleets. Shortly followed by an awakened empire with a further 500k's worth of fleets. The terrifying crisis turned into a speed bump.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
There's no way to have the game auto-pause on a new slave becoming available on the market, is there?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Not normally I think. Believe me I wish it did when I was playing my mega church rock people and I was filling up my ringworlds with “new employees.” Then again, I’d probably work for the guy who bought me and placed me on a utopian space structure, it might even make being a bureaucrat tolerable.

My solution was I slowed the game down and spammed the place where the button to buy them appeared.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I killed the Unbidden and the fallen empire and took both their technologies. Then I declared myself a Stage 5 Crisis and ate the race that declared war on me in response. (I also blew up a few of their stars.) The map now looks like this.

I'm a Devouring Swarm. They're Determined Exterminators. This was a bad galaxy to have free will in.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
The biggest game of Necrons v. Tyranids ever lol

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

A FESTIVE SKELETON posted:

Not normally I think. Believe me I wish it did when I was playing my mega church rock people and I was filling up my ringworlds with “new employees.”

Please tell me your empire was some kind of parody of Solid Rock Church.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

A FESTIVE SKELETON posted:

Not normally I think. Believe me I wish it did when I was playing my mega church rock people and I was filling up my ringworlds with “new employees.” Then again, I’d probably work for the guy who bought me and placed me on a utopian space structure, it might even make being a bureaucrat tolerable.

My solution was I slowed the game down and spammed the place where the button to buy them appeared.
In typical Paradox fashion the prices for things are way more fixed than they should be, despite the game having a "market"

Like there's an entire Space UN with a clunky process for minor rule changes, but somehow right as soon as the market forms every single empire agrees to perpetual price controls forever.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Anyone else get tired of blitzing Admiral and instead play Grand Admiral while command consoling their tits off?

This way, even with tech at 1.5x and habitable planets at 0.25x, the AI can cheat all they want to stand a chance against the Gray Tempest and me mid to late game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Eh, I prefer Commodore, it's more relaxing. Also, since I'm now using a mod to keep the AI from loving themselves over, I can stop caring about the Grey Tempest. :lol:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I know it's a very open ended question but man it's getting frustrating. What exactly am I doing wrong when with the StarTech mod on Captain, and as soon as the gloves come off in 2050 I'm rushed with like 20k worth of fleet strength when my own maxed out cruiser army is like 8k tops? If I'm on par with the enemy tech-wise, I just don't see how with the best ships and best tech, each individual ships is still almost 3x as powerful as mine and my fleet and starbase get wiped in a matter of seconds.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Startech is designed to murder you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I know it's a very open ended question but man it's getting frustrating. What exactly am I doing wrong when with the StarTech mod on Captain, and as soon as the gloves come off in 2050 I'm rushed with like 20k worth of fleet strength when my own maxed out cruiser army is like 8k tops? If I'm on par with the enemy tech-wise, I just don't see how with the best ships and best tech, each individual ships is still almost 3x as powerful as mine and my fleet and starbase get wiped in a matter of seconds.

Do you actually have ship for ship strength comparisons? If so post your designs.

But if I had to guess it's that you should be pushing more of your economy into alloy production to build more ships. :shrug:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Horace Kinch posted:

Startech is designed to murder you.

That's Starnet. Startech is designed to murder you but has antirush protection.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

So an AI empire decided to become the crisis in my current game, and after destroying them, they're left with one colony that I can't do anything about since another AI empire is occupying it. Is there a way to end the war besides going to war with the other AI to wipe out that colony? I also managed to unleash the Grey Tempest while fighting the Become the Crisis empire :v:

divx fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 9, 2022

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I haven't played in a couple years and wanted to watch a recent let's play to get back in the groove, remind me of stuff, and see stuff that's changed. Any recommendations?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

PittTheElder posted:

Do you actually have ship for ship strength comparisons? If so post your designs.

But if I had to guess it's that you should be pushing more of your economy into alloy production to build more ships. :shrug:

I would also hazard a guess that the AI is likely using battleships at that point. Captain adds on an extra roughly 27% more resources produced by the AI (in addition to lower upkeep, ship prices, and higher naval cap), so with the way the AI is set up to tech up ASAP, it's very likely that they're out-teching the player, and that the fight definitely isn't on tech parity.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fhqwhgads posted:

Bring the console down and tag switch over to the enemy. See what they've done.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Some pretty extensive changes. I’m glad they’re going to do an open beta for balancing feedback.

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1481597128422182920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

I'm glad they're doing a beta as well. They must be playing a completely different game than me if "underpowered tall empires" are the biggest problem right now. There is already hardly any reason to leave your core systems.