Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Takes No Damage posted:

I know right! All this time I've been going through the History menu like a peasant :corsair:

if you can remember the page title, you can just start typing that in, too. it's how i navigate most work stuff these days since they won't let us sync/import bookmarks and i got tired of wasting time curating bookmarks on "new" laptops

lol snype

i'm certain I'll have content for this thread soon. i'm at a company undergoing an acquisition by a larger company and my department went from like 8-10 people when fully staffed (currently 6 because people bailed when the acquisition was announced) to a department with ~500 people. it's been...rough

sootikins fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Work from home is wonderful. I do like an hour of actual work a day and the rest of the time I get paid to take a shower, do laundry, play with my cats and play Doom mods on my gaming laptop. loving lol @ you bozos that work in an office

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

I dunno my job is the holy grail for home working being poo poo:

- Client focused where everything slows to a crawl if you can't just talk to them
- Small, super close teams where everything slows to a crawl if you can't just talk to them
- Every week is a new project so you're never just sitting head down doing rote work.
- We are located in a properly run city :europe: so thr commute was never that bad and never by car.
- Lots of junior staff rapidly learning the ropes, which they can't do if you can't just talk to them (now we're getting people who have been here a year and just never learned to do essential tasks because their seniors did it themselves rather than teaching)
- Massively social company who are mostly 20-30 and actually want to get lunch or drinks together

That sounds like Hell.
Edit: :goonsay: I know, but it seriously sounds Hellish to me.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One annoying thing my department has done away with since coming back is the "8-5 means you should already be working at 8, and not be right out the door at 5" treatment, and been more flexible with hours as long as you show up and get work done.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Captain Yossarian posted:

Work from home is wonderful. I do like an hour of actual work a day and the rest of the time I get paid to take a shower, do laundry, play with my cats and play Doom mods on my gaming laptop. loving lol @ you bozos that work in an office

My work laptop is on a part of my home computer desk that conveniently leaves the keyboard, mouse, and monitor free for gaming while I'm working. It's pretty great for days where I don't feel like doing anything proactive.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The strong desire for work from home seems to come from an even split of people falling to their knees and angrily shouting "COMMUTE!!!!!" at the sky, and people chucking to themselves saying "more like Not Work From Home" while playing video games in their underwear on the clock.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Silly Newbie posted:

My work laptop is on a part of my home computer desk that conveniently leaves the keyboard, mouse, and monitor free for gaming while I'm working. It's pretty great for days where I don't feel like doing anything proactive.

I got a cheap KVM and can hop back and fourth between my work laptop and home PC at will.

Meme Poker Party posted:

The strong desire for work from home seems to come from an even split of people falling to their knees and angrily shouting "COMMUTE!!!!!" at the sky, and people chucking themselves saying "more like Not Work From Home" while playing video games in their underwear on the clock.

It's also nice because after I work with people like that lady I got fired, I can just immediately go take my dog for a quick walk and bask in the loveliness of the day (even if the weather is poo poo) and the appreciation I receive from him for such a simple act and remind myself there's more to life that deeply stupid people lashing out at me.

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 9, 2022

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I love being able to run and see my infant son for my breaks throughout the day. Running over to the living room, giving him a quick tickle, giving my wife a kiss, and running back to work is a thing I do like 5-10 times a day.

Also as person with ADHD I do have trouble focusing on work at times when WFH. I mostly manage to do fine because the work I do is mostly engaging and creative, but when I have to do something tedious or boring, I really need to force myself to do it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Another great thing about working from home: TV shows - any kind, even preschooler cartoons - on in the background is infinitely easier to listen to for 8 hours instead of 8 hours of co-workers holding impromptu meetings or having phone conversations about weird growths or whatever new things they've learned from Fox News/OAN/Facebook.

And this one is probably just my own weirdness, but my brain apparently subconsciously keeps track of time based on opening and closing themes, so the mental recognition that an hour has just past seems to prevent the whole "This is a tedious task that is making minutes stretch into infinity" feeling that can happen in the office for me.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I have a cat bed within arms reach of my workstation and I pet her whenever she plops down in it for a nap, if she doesn't jump onto my lap straightaway. :3:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

How did you not know that you can right-click on the tab bar and choose to reopen a tab from the dropdown menu? Chrome made this a little more obnoxious than it used to be, but the function is still there if you right-click in empty space on the tab bar. Firefox still has it if you right-click on any tab.

Same thing in Opera I see, but until just now I don't think I've ever right clicked on a tab or in a browser's tab-space :shrug:

Space Kablooey posted:

I have a cat bed within arms reach of my workstation and I pet her whenever she plops down in it for a nap, if she doesn't jump onto my lap straightaway. :3:

Same, if by workstation you mean hot hot RGB Gamer PC that I use primarily to watch Youtube and Netflix. I always end up feeling bad if she tries to get on my lap while I'm typing or something and I won't let her :(

e:

sootikins posted:

i'm certain I'll have content for this thread soon. i'm at a company undergoing an acquisition by a larger company and my department went from like 8-10 people when fully staffed (currently 6 because people bailed when the acquisition was announced) to a department with ~500 people. it's been...rough

Yeah that's usually a bad way to go. There's a sweet spot in company size where it isn't so small that everything is just based on the whims of the owner, and not too large that everything is set in stone by an HR drone 2 timezones over with no regard for actual reality. A couple hundred people total seems to be about right in my experience.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 9, 2022

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

things I don't get.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Beep boop unless I directly experience something I cannot understand it, what is this thing you call empathy?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Now you're not getting it. It's more "You guys built society like this? And everyone agrees the best way to deal with it by holing up at home?"

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Now you're not getting it. It's more "You guys built society like this? And everyone agrees the best way to deal with it by holing up at home?"

Nobody posting in this thread had anything to do with building society and "hole up at home" seems like a more realistic way to deal with it than "work at Jasper Tin Neck's job specifically, and like Jasper Tin Neck's coworkers specifically."

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Wait, who do you think built society? Short of advocating violent and bloody revolution, most people have to function within the system.

I’m glad you have a job you like, but most people don’t and working from home is great.

To be clear: I like my job just fine, but I still “get” why people who work in offices might prefer working from home for multiple reasons

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Scientastic posted:

To be clear: I like my job just fine, but I still “get” why people who work in offices might prefer working from home for multiple reasons
That's great. I also get why someone would prefer to work from home as. It's just people saying stuff like this that rubs me the wrong way:

quote:

WFH is unambiguously great for office work.
... Because it really isn't. Where you're most productive really depends on your particular set of circumstances.

I'm also worried by how a lot of companies are really excited about the prospect of working from home forever, because it means you don't need to rent office space, provide tech support and can even foist the responsibility of procuring office furniture to workers, like government goon's employer.

You just know that the MBA lizards will soon start asking "if you can work from literally anywhere, why don't we start hiring people in places where they'll work twice the hours for half the pay?"

Jasper Tin Neck fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 9, 2022

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

That's great. I also get why someone would prefer to work from home as. It's just people saying stuff like this that rubs me the wrong way:

... Because it really isn't. Where you're most productive really depends on your particular set of circumstances.

I'm also worried by how a lot of companies are really excited about the prospect of working from home forever, because it means you don't need to rent office space, provide tech support and can even foist the responsibility of procuring office furniture to workers, like government goon's employer.

You just know that the MBA lizards will soon start asking "if you can work from literally anywhere, why don't we start hiring people in places where they'll work twice the hours for half the pay?"

Counterpoint working from home is unambiguously good for office work.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
in the 1870s, right after emancipation. were there any ex-slaves that went around talking about how they miss being in the fields and how it's so hard to get work done without the overseers around to crack their whips

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Umm yeah my home loving owns, all the people and stuff I like is in it

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

jimmyjams posted:

in the 1870s, right after emancipation. were there any ex-slaves that went around talking about how they miss being in the fields and how it's so hard to get work done without the overseers around to crack their whips

I'm pretty sure we shouldn't be comparing working an office job to slavery.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
:munch:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My company is going with the 'you can work remote, but where you work matters more than the work itself' and is cutting the pay of remote workers based on their work from home address.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

toplitzin posted:

My company is going with the 'you can work remote, but where you work matters more than the work itself' and is cutting the pay of remote workers based on their work from home address.

what the gently caress?

so if you live in a postcode that has a lower cost of living you get your wages scaled?

lol, lmao

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Going to have to hard disagree here. I work a computer toucher job so take this with a that in mind, but we have been insanely more effective at our job since we have gone work from home. Our productivity has been about 10% greater on average than when in the office. At some points since this all started we had a 25% increase in our output. Granted I’m on a small team of 15 people, but staying in touch has been easy in teams and we successfully onboarded two new hires over the past year remotely without much difficulty. I understand if you have ADHD having issues focusing and all and having specific circumstances where certain jobs require on hand training, but overall it makes life easier for the workers.

I think the worry about hiring of workers remotely who will “do twice the work for half the pay” is some really warped viewpoint and doesn’t really apply to most industries. I know where I work the market rate for my labor won’t make that a possibility without you getting massively terrible degradation of product and the cost of dealing with that is more than just paying the market rate for a qualified individual. Sure some idiot MBA holder may think he’s so smart but that is no difference than before WFH was such a big thing and MBA big brains started moving call center and other labor off shore to India and other places for over 20 years now. That would happen regardless of WFH or not.

I’m all for giving people the choice to WFH or to work in office but for most industries I’m totally against forcing people to come in anymore since they have proven to just as effective or more effective working from home. All of the data I’ve seen come out of the pandemic and my own personal observations shows that WFH, for some industries, is unambiguously better.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

AceClown posted:

what the gently caress?

so if you live in a postcode that has a lower cost of living you get your wages scaled?

lol, lmao

Lol one of my first jobs was based out of silicon valley and they paid us about half of what there employees made there.... And it was still one of the highest paying jobs available

That's playing with fire and really only worked because there was lack of jobs for tech workers here and high demand... And it was still a high paying job.

It was like outsourcing to India but only 1 time since difference and we actually did the work properly

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

AceClown posted:

I don't know if this is what toplitzin's company is doing, but I've heard a few companies post-Covid are thinking about treating WFH as a "perk" and offering to let employees continue to work from home but in exchange for a lower salary. So it's not linked to the cost of living, but just a straight "if you choose to WFH, we're giving you a 5% pay cut" or whatever.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

AceClown posted:

what the gently caress?

lol, lmao

Oh, yes I certainly live in, uh hang on a minute I need to check my address.

*highest cost of living postcode USA*

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

As an outsourced computer toucher: that's been a thing ever since before the pandemic. I don't work twice the hours, but even half pay from an US company goes a very long way here.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outrail posted:

Oh, yes I certainly live in, uh hang on a minute I need to check my address.

*highest cost of living postcode USA*

Seriously, I'm gonna laugh when people get caught regularly doing this.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Sarah Problem posted:

Going to have to hard disagree here.

I'm happy that you're happy, but that is the very much a result of the circumstances you went on to list.

Cambridge dictionary of English posted:

circumstance

noun

UK /ˈsɜː.kəm.stɑːns/
US /ˈsɝː.kəm.stæns/

a fact or event that makes a situation the way it is

And I'm not saying you're wrong to enjoy working from home. I hope you get to keep on working in a way that works for you. All I'm saying is, it doesn't work for everyone.

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I'm happy that you're happy, but that is the very much a result of the circumstances you went on to list.

And I'm not saying you're wrong to enjoy working from home. I hope you get to keep on working in a way that works for you. All I'm saying is, it doesn't work for everyone.

Lmao, you are such a loving dork.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

AceClown posted:

what the gently caress?

lol, lmao

Me, living in the rural Midwest but going to the DMV in Seattle for a license and telling my company I live there.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My Company terminated me for not coming to work when everyone else in my department (six of ten people) was coming down with COVID. Also, they fired me while I was in an FMLA agreement.

Based on the people who made this determination over the protests of my actual manager, this termination is also likely retaliation for a work dispute that I "won" in September that resulted in the termination of my antagonist, who was friendly with one or both of them.

My Company does dumb things.

I am contacting the State Bar in the morning and am fighting with DES to demand my Un-employment Benefits because they also terminated me for absenteeism, during a COVID spike, while I was on FMLA, without ever telling me my employment was in jeopardy but instead praising me for following proper procedures during an illness.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

MagusofStars posted:

I don't know if this is what toplitzin's company is doing, but I've heard a few companies post-Covid are thinking about treating WFH as a "perk" and offering to let employees continue to work from home but in exchange for a lower salary. So it's not linked to the cost of living, but just a straight "if you choose to WFH, we're giving you a 5% pay cut" or whatever.

I like the way that some people have been counter-acting this - by taking on multiple WFH gigs simultaneously. Double/triple the pay, still less than 8 hours.
That's the way to gently caress'em back.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

...you, you mean the thing they've been doing this entire time before the pandemic?

There's nothing wrong with office work, extroverts need their interaction after all. But my work's office is in New York and I live in California, the commute is really stressful you know.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

AceClown posted:

what the gently caress?

lol, lmao

This was fairly common with remote work even prior to the pandemic. It's not universal, but for example a company that pays a software developer $250k in San Francisco often won't pay an equivalent developer in Cincinnati the same. In the case of jobs like software devs, it's pretty often tolerated because there is a REALLY wide range between high paying and low paying markets for things like tech jobs and often they still beat out the local competition as well as being a comfortable salary in either case. The thing I think is new is that not so high paying jobs are suddenly doing this and that some employers are doing it really aggressively, like "Oh you moved a half hour further out from the city? Well the CoL there is 20% less there so here, take a 20% paycut!"

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Lots of people itt seriously abusing words like unambiguously and objectively

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Sarah Problem posted:

Lmao, you are such a loving dork.
Please turn your monitor on.

Tetrabor posted:

...you, you mean the thing they've been doing this entire time before the pandemic?
The last tech boom did create a lot of hype about how you could offshore anything in the early aughts.

That was followed by a lot of businesses onshoring stuff at great expense, because the limitations of the tech of the time and the organizational challenges were too much.

But I don't know, maybe things are going to be different this time?

Jasper Tin Neck fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 9, 2022

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

My Company terminated me for not coming to work when everyone else in my department (six of ten people) was coming down with COVID. Also, they fired me while I was in an FMLA agreement.

Based on the people who made this determination over the protests of my actual manager, this termination is also likely retaliation for a work dispute that I "won" in September that resulted in the termination of my antagonist, who was friendly with one or both of them.

My Company does dumb things.

I am contacting the State Bar in the morning and am fighting with DES to demand my Un-employment Benefits because they also terminated me for absenteeism, during a COVID spike, while I was on FMLA, without ever telling me my employment was in jeopardy but instead praising me for following proper procedures during an illness.

Holy crap, light those assholes up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dr. Faustus posted:

That poo poo sucks, call the local paper when you can (if you can afford to tank your rep in that industry).