Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Andrast posted:

Video game streaming only exists because the companies think it is good advertising, they could stop it any time they wanted

They can and it's still people making money off someone else's work, which is the quoted person's pet peeve against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Copyright shouldn’t exist and there should be enough social support for artists to be able to live and create comfortably without relying on the commercial appeal of their art, imo

Also it should be financially and regulatorily impossible for large media companies to exist

Okay, but until that day comes, don't support people (who are also working at a large media company) that are try to make money stealing other people's work.

Judge Tesla posted:

They can and it's still people making money off someone else's work, which is the quoted person's pet peeve against it.

No, because when the developers give the okay for streaming then they are specifically allowing that kind of use. If a streamer wanted to do a watch-a-long to riff on some show, there are specific ways that they can acquire the rights to do that. You contact the rights holders, work out a license deal, and then you have the right to use that content. Just like MST3K does for every movie they riff (or The Soup did for every clip they aired). I'm not saying that a streamer shouldn't use any other content in their stream, I'm saying that they should pay for anyone else's content they use.

And, once again, even the streamers realize this is correct; because they take the exact same action against people who are pirating their content.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

pokimane streaming atla without paying Cartoon Network is direct action

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

pokimane streaming atla without paying Cartoon Network is direct action

pokimane is capital

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Alaois posted:

lets do something about it

Done.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

All right, onto another topic: The mystery of Kali Muscle continues to perplex. He's doing sketch videos again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gp1jYdnzMk

He did recently link to the youtube channel of the guy who has basically become the co-star in all of his videos, Hyphy YT. That dude's youtube channel is fairly dormant, but the channel preview is an interesting contrast to how he's appearing now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogb_n3VxNUI

EDIT: My greatest youtube wish now is to see a Dan Olson/Hyphy YT collab video.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 9, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Copyright should be disregarded early and often.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Famethrowa posted:

Copyright should be disregarded early and often.

well yeah, a lot of lawyers live on that stuff

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

LanceHunter posted:

Okay, but until that day comes, don't support people (who are also working at a large media company) that are try to make money stealing other people's work.

Let's make a compromise then, no streaming reality shows and we also have to execute CinemaSins and all the people involved in it.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Judge Tesla posted:

Sure, but that's true of all commercially available entertainment and art, regardless of how it's accessed. Most tv, radio, games, even comics and novels can only exist through the labour of dozens, hundreds or even thousands of people. But it's only a tiny handful who get a slice of the purchase. I've worked freelance on and off for years, I never get a penny after my contract is over, yet my clients can use my work to make money potentially forever, so paying for that does nothing to help me nor many others in the field. On the other hand, I have published several works in which I do get sweet royalties, but if you buy it I'm not the one producing the hard copy and I didn't do any of the coding that enabled the electronic versions I sure as hell am not working in logistics to ship it to you, The only people who see a percentage are me, the publisher, the seller and the government(s).

If making money off of someone else's work is the issue, singling out a handful of bad actors isn't going to solve anything.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Everything's going to be dying of COVID's Peh Variant under the sea in a few decades, so I'm not going to begrudge people not waiting until they get that extra cash to enjoy cultural products.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sure thing, man

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Everything's going to be dying of COVID's Peh Variant under the sea in a few decades, so I'm not going to begrudge people not waiting until they get that extra cash to enjoy cultural products.

:goofy:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

buddy i got to tell you something you track this doomer poo poo into every single thread you go into. you have to lay off it a bit. you're an anxiety ball by the standards of a website where one guy self-radicalized into going rambo mode at a rally. Take a melatonin. go real deep into a video game. smoke way too much weed. do something other than this.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What the poo poo, dude

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Impermanent posted:

buddy i got to tell you something you track this doomer poo poo into every single thread you go into. you have to lay off it a bit. you're an anxiety ball by the standards of a website where one guy self-radicalized into going rambo mode at a rally. Take a melatonin. go real deep into a video game. smoke way too much weed. do something other than this.

Even if it's wrong it's not like that's not a fair reason rn. Nor is it strange that an poster here actually cares about copyright where most of the people involved were already paid. Like i get it's an aesthetical reason in that poster's case but at worst it's very easy to cross the line into an creavitly legitmate use of it even if not an legal one(De jure or otherwise.)

That said: There's only so much nihilism this theard can take and i hope you can find peace.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I have no idea how anyone thought "I'm going to pirate broadcast to my audience of millions on a mainstream platform I don't own" was gonna result in anything other than getting legally smacked as soon as any lawyer involved woke up. How is this a surprise to anyone involved and why is anyone taking any side here, there are no good guys

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i think the reaction is more to the whole 'i ate a sub today', ' better enjoy subs while they last because buddy let me tell you-' phenomemon than its application to the argument

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
anyone who illegally distributes copyrighted materials should be destroyed

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The jcs channel may be going down as youtube is striking a bunch of their most popular videos for promotion of violence

https://twitter.com/SwimJim/status/1480268689748414471?t=IdvmfsQaU2Oii8P8W1teIQ&s=19

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Don't do this here

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The jcs channel may be going down as youtube is striking a bunch of their most popular videos for promotion of violence

https://twitter.com/SwimJim/status/1480268689748414471?t=IdvmfsQaU2Oii8P8W1teIQ&s=19

What a weird thing. JCS is so established it's a genre, and one of the most popular ones because True Crime is deeply popular. I wonder what kind of tweak made this happen?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Not sure why everyone is getting on Absurd Alhazred’s case and calling them a doomer for saying everyone is going to live under the sea in a few years. The sea is beautiful and home to many fish (i.e. friends.) I for one think it’s a wonderful vision of the future that we would all pack up and move there.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Ariong posted:

Not sure why everyone is getting on Absurd Alhazred’s case and calling them a doomer for saying everyone is going to live under the sea in a few years. The sea is beautiful and home to many fish (i.e. friends.)
YOU'LL NEVER TAKE US ALIVE MERMAN! :P

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the simpsons version is at an eternal war with the disney version in my head at all times and i hope the simpsons wins

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ariong posted:

Not sure why everyone is getting on Absurd Alhazred’s case and calling them a doomer for saying everyone is going to live under the sea in a few years. The sea is beautiful and home to many fish (i.e. friends.) I for one think it’s a wonderful vision of the future that we would all pack up and move there.

you can't fool me i've played AquaNox

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Grondoth posted:

I have no idea how anyone thought "I'm going to pirate broadcast to my audience of millions on a mainstream platform I don't own" was gonna result in anything other than getting legally smacked as soon as any lawyer involved woke up. How is this a surprise to anyone involved and why is anyone taking any side here, there are no good guys

Nobody's shocked the strikes and DCMAs happened. Arguing about it is as bad as arguing about shoplifting at Walmart. You're ultimately debating the rules of a game written by corporations so that they win every time and they get to hide behind the poor people they exploit to give them cover.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
5 million+ sub youtubers doing Steal From Walmart Challenges is what happened here, it's deeply stupid

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Libluini posted:

well yeah, a lot of lawyers live on that stuff

well don't get caught, duh.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

anyone who illegally distributes copyrighted materials should be destroyed

happy birthday to you
happy birthday to you
happy birthday dear 16-bit Butt-Head
happy birthday to you

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

LanceHunter posted:

Thinking that no one gets paid on reality tv because only certain cast members contestants win prizes is how a child would understand a television production. These shows usually have just as many below-the-line crew as any scripted series. Plenty of my friends who work in production have their ability to pay rent directly connected to whether certain reality shows end up getting new seasons.

But please, go on and defend the millionaire streamers who are your close parasocial friends. If they really wanted to rebroadcast content they didn’t make, they could pay for the rights to do so.

EDIT:

I think this point needs to be emphasized: This isn’t a case of a group of friends watching a movie together on discord or something. This is a performer, at their job, who is making money by showing someone else’s content.

they never said "everyone" lol. what theyre referencing is the rise of reality tv as a response to the writers strike but its neither here nor there.

in what way does streaming a reality show affect the pay of the cast and crew. theyre already paid. if the argument is ratings then the number of viewers on a stream would be so negligible that attributing a shows failure to it would be a joke lol. no one who wants to legitimately pirate something is going to a streamer where a streamer is babbling over it. the audience is there for the streamer.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

hasan has done more to preserve the memory of dogshit 2000s reality shows that no sane person would watch then or now than anyone else alive

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not really relevant to the current discussion but I do like how the current trend of youtubers talking slowly and deliberately means I can watch 1 hour 30 min videos on 1.75 speed and not get super fast speech.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to my knowledge Hasan is someone who spends 20 hours a day streaming to talk about the news, so perhaps his destruction is for the best.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

he wouldnt have to stream 20 hours a day if he would stop pausing whatever video hes commenting on every 2 seconds to yell DUDE or THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT right before the video contradicts whatever he just said

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I might (and that’s a very shaky might) understand if someone gets copyright struck watching a movie as the way movies work, people pay to watch that specific movie and if potential viewers watch it through a streamer it makes them less likely to pay to watch it later

But which do you think is more likely: someone watches some random episode of Masterchef, a show with a billion seasons, and says “ah now I’ve seen this show a few times out of context, thus freeing me from the desire to ever give the people who made it money” or they watch that random episode and go “hey that was fun but I don’t want to wait for this streamer to keep watching it, maybe I’ll sub to Hulu (or whatever Masterchef is on) for a few months and watch it”?

I understand the copyright strikes from the legal side of things (corporations have to protect their copyright otherwise they might lose it) but there’s no way the people who made the tv show are being cheated out of money or whatever because it functions as advertising for the show, and they probably don’t make money from people watching it through legit streaming means anyways. It’s the same with music really, most artists don’t seem to have an issue with a song popping up during someone’s stream because even if every single person watching decides never to listen to that song again because it was on that stream, the artist is out like, 50 cents tops. Plus, in reality it’s way more likely one or two people might discover they really like that song and go buy merch or toss them some money on Bandcamp. It’s weird that music companies love TikTok so much and then do strikes on Twitch as if it’s closer to YouTube than to other social media where you don’t go there with the specific purpose to listen to a song

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Strikes are done on twitch because gamers are the most oppressed race

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

That sucks. There are a lot of solid copy cats of the channel that exist but those will probably get hit too.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Well, some of the videos now live on VODs from his acquaintances and coworkers, which is not exactly preferable but it's around in some way.

On other internet personality news:

https://twitter.com/AdultSwimNoCon/status/1480411232297537536?t=8C93GTylm-3d1-AEpcmoOg&s=19

Yes, that's the actual guy doing that voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kunster posted:

Well, some of the videos now live on VODs from his acquaintances and coworkers, which is not exactly preferable but it's around in some way.

On other internet personality news:

https://twitter.com/AdultSwimNoCon/status/1480411232297537536?t=8C93GTylm-3d1-AEpcmoOg&s=19

Yes, that's the actual guy doing that voice.

who dis?