Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
This administration is so unserious about tackling covid that they're more worried about the optics of masks being used than they are worried about our nearly-overwhelmed hospitals.

https://twitter.com/gregggonsalves/status/1480134068792659971

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

There are only so many vaccinated people presenting with a couple days of sore throat and fatigue with zero lasting effects for me to think of Omicron as anything less than "mild" for the healthy-ish and vaccinated.

On a societal level, yes, the unvaccinated and people waiting for any bacteria or virus to tip them over to hospitalization can consider Omicron worse than wild type COVID two years ago. They are and are going to flood hospitals worldwide because coming down with Omicron at some point in life seems to be inevitable for the vast majority of humanity given these initial numbers.

But on an individual level, if you're vaccinated, boosted and are healthy enough to survive a random cold, then Omicron won't be the one that gets you. Way worse to get CSPAM'd into thinking a positive result is equal to an inevitable Parkinson's Alzheimer's Diabetes death.

Wang Commander posted:

Yeah. Looking forward to poo poo like a 24%(!) chance of diabetes, throwing clots all over, brain damage, etc. Looking forward to this every few weeks forever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Asymptomatic presentation, best case scenario for a vaccinated person flipping out because of a test result after misreading a preprint.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Even if we take it as given that kids don't get very sick from omicron, they are clearly a huge factor in spreading it to each other and to adults. You're the one posting daily infection updates and speculating about causes of the daily fluctuations. Schools being open are almost certainly going to be a significant contributor to daily infection rates.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Rust Martialis posted:

The problem is the data's not tabulated and it sucks reading it off a chart :(

Ugh

Cases by actual day tested:
(..)
Jesus, look at the nice case spikes. Okay, Juleaften hit starting 2 days after, maybe 3. Nytårsaften was also a fat spike starting 2 days after the 31.

Weekends are off, but otherwise you can find the data here (posted at the same time as the dashboard update): https://covid19.ssi.dk/overvagningsdata/download-fil-med-overvaagningdata

For cases you want to look at the "Municipality_cases_time_series.csv". But be advised that there is multiple day lag before days are fully updated.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Judakel posted:

This administration is so unserious about tackling covid that they're more worried about the optics of masks being used than they are worried about our nearly-overwhelmed hospitals.

https://twitter.com/gregggonsalves/status/1480134068792659971

This part really stuck out to me:

quote:

It’s worth noting that public support for mask mandates has generally been high, with one poll from mid-December finding 64% of Americans in support.

It's something that a majority of Americans across the political spectrum would approve of, but like many such things that would be well-received by most of the public they don't feel like doing anything about it even though it would save countless lives.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It seems more like a deliberate decision not to undermine confidence in the recovery we're all supposed to be seeing. Sort of a twist on the language from the CDC in March 2020 that led to me seeking out N95s ASAP.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

Rust Martialis posted:

The pattern in DK has been the last 2 weeks case explosion seems to me to be primarily driven by Christmas Eve/Day gatherings and NYE festivities.

Danes celebrate and open gifts on the 24th - and 6 days later, huge spike in cases. Then December 31 resulted in a second spike in cases several days later.

Since the second spike three days ago, daily cases dropped by half.

Hospitalization in DK is roughly on average a week after diagnosis. Source in my daily stats post, btw.

I tried looking for daily versus 7-day rolling cases in CA.US to see if there's a similar two-hump surge because the 7- day blurs it out. No luck. Anyone got a daily cases table for the last few weeks in CA? If you're not testing hard the data will suck more.
There's not really humps for California according to CDC https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailycases. Just UP.

Even if it were assumed that the table you presented was day of test and not day of report for aggregation (as Pingui implies) I don't think it's really obviously established by the raw data in last table you presented that there's a 1 week mean report to hospital for Omicron without a bit more analysis or more data points. For starters, the baseline pre-omicron case load is still ~25-50% compared to current case rates.

Looking at South Africa data though, which is more clearly omicron only and has a peak that clearly ended, the case peak was ~Dec 15 and the hospital peak was somewhere in Dec 16-29 according to the second source.If we pick the midpoint of the second range that's about December 22, 7 days after, for the peak hospitalization rate.
https://www.nicd.ac.za/diseases-a-z-index/disease-index-covid-19/surveillance-reports/national-covid-19-daily-report/
https://www.nicd.ac.za/diseases-a-z-index/disease-index-covid-19/surveillance-reports/daily-hospital-surveillance-datcov-report/

So sure, about a week from test date to see hospital admit peak from Omicron cases, maybe a few extra days since the hospital admits on the right side of the plateau are higher. Note though this isn't necessarily mean time to hospitalization which I didn't see a good way to scrape the data I'd need together to come up with a solid empirical support for or against being longer within ~15 minutes. Deaths have a long tail distribution, and I would guess hospitalizations do as well, especially with regard to ICU which is where people that die in the long tail tend to be.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 9, 2022

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Srice posted:

This part really stuck out to me:

quote:

It’s worth noting that public support for mask mandates has generally been high, with one poll from mid-December finding 64% of Americans in support.

It's something that a majority of Americans across the political spectrum would approve of, but like many such things that would be well-received by most of the public they don't feel like doing anything about it even though it would save countless lives.

If 1 in 3 Americans are against masking, then we're going to see a whole lot of deaths regardless of anything federal mandates could accomplish.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MadJackal posted:

If 1 in 3 Americans are against masking, then we're going to see a whole lot of deaths regardless of anything federal mandates could accomplish.

Well yeah it wouldn't prevent all deaths but a mask mandate would have an impact on the death rate and at this point it's so out of control that every little bit helps.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Srice posted:

Well yeah it wouldn't prevent all deaths but a mask mandate would have an impact on the death rate and at this point it's so out of control that every little bit helps.

Mask mandates would have to be enforced by the last people I trust to enforce mask mandates. The NYPD have made it a point that they're so ballsy that basic personal protection doesn't apply. Now try to enforce that mandate in Eastfuck Texas where the deathcultist political party is mocking mask wearing.

Anti-mask / anti-vax idiots are the last people I want to spend political power on.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Actively dissuading mask mandates because you want to make things look normal is morally repugnant

Kinda a theme with this administration

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

NoDamage posted:

I agree that her response could have been phrased more clearly but I think you're reading more into her statement than is actually there based on preconceived assumptions about her underlying motivations. After all, the context of her statement could have been clarified at any time by reading the underlying study to understand exactly what she was referring to. Instead we ended up with two pages worth of unnecessary outrage posts because nobody bothered to check, which is in my opinion rather unfortunate.

I mostly just wish people would do a bit more investigation of headlines/tweets before posting them here so people don't end up misled. (And some questionable stuff has been getting posted lately.)

I feel like I've pretty well responded to accusations of intentional deception or attempting to manufacture outrage - Descendo Vox called me out on divorcing the clip from context almost immediately and even when I transcribed the entirety of the exchange, there is no getting around the phrasing she used for me.

I understand this may be a tinted interpretation but I hope I have shown at this point that it is neither disingenuous or irrational.

My intent is not to mislead people. Maybe there is the implication of outrage in my posts but it comes from a place of deep-seated resentment not at any other poster, but the government's continued failing response to properly address the constant death. There is no reason for 836,000 americans to have died. So many of those could have been prevented by action that was deemed impossible or unnecessary before ti was attempted despite many prescribed solutions being entirely feasible and used successfully in other countries. That boils my blood, yes.

We're still oscillating between hundreds and thousands of deaths a day, now for almost two years. We are not making headway. There is no way to interpret the guidance of the CDC except to understand it in the context of those deaths - that those deaths are acceptable (because they are not entirely unpreventable) and that if the majority of those deaths are people who are already unwell that's "really encouraging news in the context of omicron"

I don't want to further belabor a statement that's now two days old but I do hope that if/when you engage with me in the future this will give you a bit more insight into where I am coming from and that you'll accept my premises as coming from a rational place and not poo poo-stirring. I do, admittedly, feel as though you spent more time trying to dismiss me than the actual text in question (though that may be me being overly sensitive to the fact that in the course of posting a single news clip I have been accused of intentional deception and irrationality multiple times) even after I have expounded and defended my position over the course of said "two pages" of outrage that I wish you'd chosen to engage with where I made many responses that I feel clarified my position.

brugroffil posted:

Actively dissuading mask mandates because you want to make things look normal is morally repugnant

In my ideal world masks would be mandatory in all public places from here on. Public transport, grocery stores, essential services etc.
Entertainment venues I suppose leave it to their discretion but there's no reason we should ever step backwards from this if it means opening up safer avenues of engaging with the world for immunocompromised people.

If you're just wearing one on a commute or to pop into the store it doesn't even suck. It's fine. I wear glasses and it's annoying but whatever, it's better than getting a cold or giving someone else plague and killing them.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 9, 2022

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

brugroffil posted:

I'm not dissuading people from wearing masks, I'm pointing out that a lots of people in areas far away from me really, really want to die and the minor inconvenience of placing some material over their mouths and noses is so much a psychological burden they'd rather get sick. Drats. What a loss. Things get worse for me if Trump wins in 2024 on a wave of anti-mask, anti-vax sentiment that props up federal level exemptions for plague rats.

MadJackal fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 9, 2022

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

MadJackal posted:

There are only so many vaccinated people presenting with a couple days of sore throat and fatigue with zero lasting effects for me to think of Omicron as anything less than "mild" for the healthy-ish and vaccinated.

On a societal level, yes, the unvaccinated and people waiting for any bacteria or virus to tip them over to hospitalization can consider Omicron worse than wild type COVID two years ago. They are and are going to flood hospitals worldwide because coming down with Omicron at some point in life seems to be inevitable for the vast majority of humanity given these initial numbers.

But on an individual level, if you're vaccinated, boosted and are healthy enough to survive a random cold, then Omicron won't be the one that gets you. Way worse to get CSPAM'd into thinking a positive result is equal to an inevitable Parkinson's Alzheimer's Diabetes death.

my post and article is about the effect of omicron on a macro level on a collapsing healthcare system

why are you responding with a lecture about not being a doomer about my individual prognosis.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

MadJackal posted:

Depends how against. A lot of mask mandates are enforced through social norms more than any actual real enforcement. I'd wager that at least half of that 33% are mildly against masks, and if they're in an environment where everyone else is wearing a mask, they'll mask up even if they're against mandates.

Here in Ontario, where we've had a continuous mask mandate since June of 2020, seeing someone completely unmasked is exceptionally rare. The number of people I've seen unmasked in a retail store is at 2 (just went up on Christmas Eve by 1). You see dicknoses for sure, and dumb masks that are more of a middle finger to mask mandates than anything actually meant to protect someone (like those plastic guards that just go over your mouth and nose), but completely unmasked people is super, super rare where I am. Prior to a mask mandate they were incredibly rare, and you definitely got dirty looks and even comments in certain places (grocery store was pretty fine, but I got laughed at for wearing one at the mechanics).

For sure I think in the US there are areas where you'd see poor compliance, since that 33% isn't evenly distributed and masking is hopeless anywhere it's north of 50%, but in urban areas I think a mask mandate with consistent messaging would see high uptake.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
There's absolutely, positively, zero enforcement of our mask mandate by the way and it's littered with loopholes (by the mandate itself, you can claim an exemption and stores aren't allowed to ask for proof). It's still absolutely effective though.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

It seems more like a deliberate decision not to undermine confidence in the recovery we're all supposed to be seeing. Sort of a twist on the language from the CDC in March 2020 that led to me seeking out N95s ASAP.

That’s exactly what it is, they care more about projecting the image that Everything Is Normal than saving human lives.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

MadJackal posted:

I'm not dissuading people from wearing masks, I'm pointing out that a lots of people in areas far away from me really, really want to die and the minor inconvenience of placing some material over their mouths and noses is so much a psychological burden they'd rather get sick. Drats. What a loss. Things get worse for me if Trump wins in 2024 on a wave of anti-mask, anti-vax sentiment that props up federal level exemptions for plague rats.

Unless you're a member of the Biden administration, that post wasn't directed at your personal actions. The topic was the Biden admin discouraging state wide mask mandates.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

MadJackal posted:

Mask mandates would have to be enforced by the last people I trust to enforce mask mandates. The NYPD have made it a point that they're so ballsy that basic personal protection doesn't apply. Now try to enforce that mandate in Eastfuck Texas where the deathcultist political party is mocking mask wearing.

Anti-mask / anti-vax idiots are the last people I want to spend political power on.
It’s been pointed out multiple times itt, with studies and multiple anecdotes of the effect Masks Off May had on compliance, that mask mandates increase voluntary compliance—which has the knockoff effect of peer pressuring others into wearing them as well.

It’s one thing to rationalize why we can’t, say, nationalize vaccine production, or whatever ambitious policy you can think of, but this is A Thing We Already Did and it worked.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

MadJackal posted:

Absolutely true, social pressure has never convinced nobody to do nothin.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

MadJackal posted:

I don’t know why it has to be said two years into this, but this is a public health crisis. Hospital systems are being overwhelmed by this “mild” variant. Schools are being closed again. It should outrage you that schools are closed yet bars, restaurants, sporting events, and concerts are not.

Telling people “good news! it’s mild you’ll be fine.” has almost certainly made the current situation worse. (It’s also a slight variation of the “99% of people survive/only the old and infirm are dying” line from MAGA in 2020.) Messaging like this, especially from the CDC and political leaders, is quite literally getting people killed.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Edit: Wow, wrong thread.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MadJackal posted:

This kind of thinking is completely pointless. Of course people who will never wear a mask will never wear a mask. What matters is everyone else. A mask mandate tells everyone else to wear a mask. No mask mandate tells everyone else they don't have to wear a mask. So people who are willing to wear a mask don't because they are being explicitly told it doesn't matter.

It's like when the CDC cut the isolation time from 10 days to 5 because some people weren't following the 10 day guidance. And the end result was everyone who wasn't following the guidance continued to not follow the guidance, and everyone who was following the guidance continued to follow the guidance and cut their isolation time in half. The result of which we are currently living through.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Gio posted:

It’s been pointed out multiple times itt, with studies and multiple anecdotes of the effect Masks Off May had on compliance, that mask mandates increase voluntary compliance—which has the knockoff effect of peer pressuring others into wearing them as well.

It’s one thing to rationalize why we can’t, say, nationalize vaccine production, or whatever ambitious policy you can think of, but this is A Thing We Already Did and it worked.

Preprints about how government mask mandates reduce COVID infections among the anti-vax, anti-mask population by single percentage numbers don't matter. Give up on them. The reality is Omicron is the wildfire anyone paying attention was worried about.

The federal government made vaccinations as easy as heading to your local Walmart to get for free, and about half the Facebooked country thinks this is a ploy to murder them. Those idiots will get sick and possibly die.

That's the cost of freedom of thought. Some thoughts kill their owners.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Suzera posted:

There's not really humps for California according to CDC https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailycases. Just UP.

Even if it were assumed that the table you presented was day of test and not day of report for aggregation (as Pingui implies) I don't think it's really obviously established by the raw data in last table you presented that there's a 1 week mean report to hospital for Omicron without a bit more analysis or more data points. For starters, the baseline pre-omicron case load is still ~25-50% compared to current case rates.

Looking at South Africa data though, which is more clearly omicron only and has a peak that clearly ended, the case peak was ~Dec 15 and the hospital peak was somewhere in Dec 16-29 according to the second source.If we pick the midpoint of the second range that's about December 22, 7 days after, for the peak hospitalization rate.
https://www.nicd.ac.za/diseases-a-z-index/disease-index-covid-19/surveillance-reports/national-covid-19-daily-report/
https://www.nicd.ac.za/diseases-a-z-index/disease-index-covid-19/surveillance-reports/daily-hospital-surveillance-datcov-report/

So sure, about a week from test date to see hospital admit peak from Omicron cases, maybe a few extra days since the hospital admits on the right side of the plateau are higher. Note though this isn't necessarily mean time to hospitalization which I didn't see a good way to scrape the data I'd need together to come up with a solid empirical support for or against being longer within ~15 minutes. Deaths have a long tail distribution, and I would guess hospitalizations do as well, especially with regard to ICU which is where people that die in the long tail tend to be.

The only data I've seen is from rkkp.dk - they report biweekly on ICU cases in DK, and their current report https://www.rkkp.dk/siteassets/resultater/covid-19-rapport/dansk-intensiv-covid-19-rapport_06_januar_2022_v1.pdf includes some analysis.

In Table 1, looking at all ICU patients from 01 November to 31 December :
pre:
				Total		0-1 shots	2-shots		Boosted
Number of Patients 		329 		152 		122 		24
Men, N (%) 			215 (65.3) 	100 (65.8) 	81 (66.4) 	17 (70.8)
Age, years 			66 (50-75) 	56 (42-68) 	73 (64-78)	73 (70-78) 
Body Mass Index 		29 (25-33) 	30 (25-34) 	29 (25-33) 	30 (26-36)
Time from first symptom 	7 (4-9) 	7 (5-10) 	5 (1-8) 	6 (4-9)
til admitted to hospital, 
days 
Totally open to argue the cohort here of "future ICU patients" is unrepresentative of the broader group of all hospitalized.

The age ranges are... interesting. The comorbidities are sad to look at. The boosted patients included a lot of cancer and immunocompromised, all over 70.

But based on the only data I have seen, and that there's clearly quite a spread, and this is only 329 patients... the "it's about 7 days from symptoms to hospital admit" is at least a reasonable rule of thumb. No?

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 9, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Well, this looks absolutely catastrophic. I'm thinking this because much of the Country is still unvaccinated, the areas that aren't vaccinated are largely rural and their healthcare infrastructure is in no way is going to be able to put up with the sudden surge of patients needing care. Am I wrong with my assessment here? I think the next month or two is going to be absolutely brutal. I get omicron isn't as severe but the sheer volume of infections is going include so many that will need help.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1480212120595742723?s=20

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 9, 2022

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

MadJackal posted:

Drats. What a loss. Things get worse for me if Trump wins in 2024 on a wave of anti-mask, anti-vax sentiment that props up federal level exemptions for plague rats.
The problem is that they're bringing down everyone else with them. Education and healthcare are buckling under the pressure... hell even getting a pizza delivered right now is a coin flip. These are not good things for the "adults in the room/government can actually solve problems" party.

I read post after post of liberal or left people saying they're out of empathy, or encouraging people to take care of themselves because officials have failed them. Beyond just the immediate whiplash of "well that sucked, lets try the other guys again", who knows how many people have been radicalized away from the social contract. The right will eat that up.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

MadJackal posted:

That's fine.
It's when those thoughts kill other people (who did the things they were supposed) to the point where it buckles the fabric of society that you may want to see "the people in charge" doing anything else at all to prevent said buckling

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Have Some Flowers! posted:

The problem is that they're bringing down everyone else with them. Education and healthcare are buckling under the pressure... hell even getting a pizza delivered right now is a coin flip. These are not good things for the "adults in the room/government can actually solve problems" party.

I read post after post of liberal or left people saying they're out of empathy, or encouraging people to take care of themselves because officials have failed them. Beyond just the immediate whiplash of "well that sucked, lets try the other guys again", who knows how many people have been radicalized away from the social contract. The right will eat that up.

People deciding they don't want to be paid pennies to deliver pizzas isn't the system breaking down

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

UCS Hellmaker posted:

People deciding they don't want to be paid pennies to deliver pizzas isn't the system breaking down

What about the pizza place raising prices by 40 percent?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Well, this looks absolutely catastrophic. I'm thinking this because much of the Country is still unvaccinated, the areas that aren't vaccinated are largely rural and their healthcare infrastructure is in no way is going to be able to put up with the sudden surge of patients needing care. Am I wrong with my assessment here? I think the next month or two is going to be absolutely brutal. I get omicron isn't as severe but the sheer volume of infections is going include so many that will need help.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1480212120595742723?s=20

No I expect the unvaccinated rural population will get basically hosed by Omicron. And the elderly who are vaccinated, and the immune compromised or cancer patients, etc.

It's like the 142 ICU patients in Denmark in Nov and Dec, who were between 42 and 68, of whom 54% had zero comorbidities. Old enough to be vaccinated, and maybe a few of them had a reason not to get the vaccine, but I assume most of them just didn't get it.

Of the 142 unvaccinated (and 10 with one shot, so 152 total), 87 went on vents for an average of 9 days, 17 on dialysis, 8 on ECMO.

Outcomes: 79 discharged, 32 still in ICY, 14 out of the ICU but still in hospital, and... 27 of them died.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MadJackal posted:

Preprints about how government mask mandates reduce COVID infections among the anti-vax, anti-mask population by single percentage numbers don't matter. Give up on them. The reality is Omicron is the wildfire anyone paying attention was worried about.

The federal government made vaccinations as easy as heading to your local Walmart to get for free, and about half the Facebooked country thinks this is a ploy to murder them. Those idiots will get sick and possibly die.

And all the people with comorbidities, they're just acceptable losses as long as we're dunking on the chuds?

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

Rust Martialis posted:

the "it's about 7 days from symptoms to hospital admit" is at least a reasonable rule of thumb. No?
Yeah that's about what I was meaning to agree with in my last post. Without cleaner data or seeing a more thorough analysis I don't have any substantial problem with it.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 9, 2022

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Deciding the United States is falling apart at the seams because you can't get a pizza delivered. Just Goon Things

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Gripweed posted:

And all the people with comorbidities, they're just acceptable losses as long as we're dunking on the chuds?
People with comorbidities or unvaccinated under-5s really should have made better choices. Vote!

SpartanIvy posted:

Deciding the United States is falling apart at the seams because you can't get a pizza delivered. Just Goon Things
It's a microcosm of all of this bullshit. Cheap lovely pizza is one of the things our economic system has done well at, historically.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

UCS Hellmaker posted:

SpartanIvy posted:

Ha, nice, what a clearly disengenuous way of interpreting that post.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Discendo Vox posted:

Good news: it was funded by the white house with money authorized by Congress as part of the ARP in May 2021, on top of another 1 billion to Americorps in that bill. This specific tranche is apparently the amount is only enough to cover 5,000 jobs, and the time to implementation is several years. This appears likely to be because the organization has to operate through partner organizations, and there's a lot of issues with setting up a separate funding line; the grant application period closed in November. The other billion in congressional funding from the ARP appears to have been more effective as a surge workforce operation, but I can't find reliable aggregate numbers; most of the material available is promotional.

Giving some more context to this 5,000 figure — the Biden campaign promised 100,000 contact tracer jobs. Imagine where we’d be if we had them all

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Throw me on the pile of expendables. High school teacher here, started showing symptoms on Thursday night, two negative rapid tests, followed by a positive as soon as I swabbed my throat.
Good news is, I get to go back on Wednesday. I'm tempted to put in a week of FMLA and just eat the pay loss. My school has a 30% vax rate among our students (poor, inner city, largely POC) and I really don't want to risk their health, or the health of their equally unvaccinated families.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

MadJackal posted:

We mostly agree, and/but I think the crucial problem is that people have irresponsibly communicated "omicron is mild" when there is probably nothing about the virus that makes it less pathogenic, it's just so good at immune evasion that it makes people who wouldn't have gotten sick at all w/ delta mildy sick with Omicron.

Because we've built policies and expectations around intrinsic mildness, we're going to get absolutely hosed by the acute systemic load of the unvaccinated + those very few vaccinated in hospital now. And we're too early to know about long covid in vaccinated people with mild infections. I'm hoping the answer is that it's at a lower rate, but we don't know yet/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Rust Martialis posted:

No I expect the unvaccinated rural population will get basically hosed by Omicron. And the elderly who are vaccinated, and the immune compromised or cancer patients, etc.

It's like the 142 ICU patients in Denmark in Nov and Dec, who were between 42 and 68, of whom 54% had zero comorbidities. Old enough to be vaccinated, and maybe a few of them had a reason not to get the vaccine, but I assume most of them just didn't get it.

Of the 142 unvaccinated (and 10 with one shot, so 152 total), 87 went on vents for an average of 9 days, 17 on dialysis, 8 on ECMO.

Outcomes: 79 discharged, 32 still in ICY, 14 out of the ICU but still in hospital, and... 27 of them died.

:wtc: Was this during the initial Omicron surge? It makes total sense to me why so many hospitals and other institutions are lowering quarantine times and asking people to come back to work. We're looking at an enormous potential impact to hospitals and the economy especially if folks aren't vaccinated.