Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
[sagely] DD and SoJ are both bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

sagely deez nuts

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Amppelix posted:

i said adventures!! i did not forget my good friend criminal magician juror

uhh and ALSO a literal witch and a rondo of science and magic clockwork dummy did you forget about those???

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

esmeralda is just a goth girl with good taste, we can't count her (i did forget about the other one shush)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I absolutely both can and will count Esmeralda. I count her harder than anyone else.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Waffleman_ posted:

Apollo has three backstories and poor Athena has been playable in like three and a half cases in two games.

You’re actually overselling her, she’s only headlined two cases and about a quarter of a third.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I want Athena to headline a case and I want that case to be Iris getting framed for murder in a prison and I want Lana Skye to be a witness.

Thank you that is all.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Bring back Gumshoe imo

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I want Athena to headline a game. Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney. Do it you cowards.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Fedule posted:

I want Athena to headline a game. Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney. Do it you cowards.

:yeah:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i think i said this before but i'm afraid with Takumi coming back to the main series after DGS he's going to want to do his own thing instead of continuing the AAI team's work and we're going to end up with another soft reboot of the series and Athena will never be heard from again

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The ideal solution would be a soft reboot WITH Athena as the protagonist.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't really care about Athena. I hope Takumi does show up for a soft reboot, but to elaborate on Apollo's original vague backstory. :twisted:

he only has like two and a half backstories!

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

hatty posted:

Bring back Gumshoe imo

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The only reason we haven't heard from Gumshoe is that we've never had to visit the precinct in the Apollo trilogy. When next we go there and examine the chief of detectives, he'll be staring at his monitor and referencing ancient plot points: "Phoenix Wright disbarred? I smell a rat, pal!"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't know what Apollo's original vague backstory was beyond "Orphan that has good eyesight thanks to magician genes" and i'm not sure what needs to be expanded from that that wasn't already in DD and SoJ.

E: Like obviously there's finally revealing to him and Trucy that they're siblings but it's not like that part disappeared exactly because 6-2 was all about that. Phoenix just still hasn't told them.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 4, 2022

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Fedule posted:

With Blackquil as her assistant.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Phoenix just still hasn't told them.

Naruhobo is a dick.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Hot take: GAA is good, not amazing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hatty posted:

Bring back Gumshoe imo

He should have been back for SoJ's DLC case instead of turning Ema into Gumshoe for that case.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know what Apollo's original vague backstory was beyond "Orphan that has good eyesight thanks to magician genes" and i'm not sure what needs to be expanded from that that wasn't already in DD and SoJ.

E: Like obviously there's finally revealing to him and Trucy that they're siblings but it's not like that part disappeared exactly because 6-2 was all about that. Phoenix just still hasn't told them.

They did retcon his dad's death as he "died on stage" according to game 4.

But who cares what they did in SoJ was better anyway.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Idk I liked it better when he was just a dude that's a lawyer

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Well, G2-2 is amazing. It feels like they wanted to redo G1-4, and it worked perfectly.
Villain being alive makes sense and is used for some great moments. Some pretty good drama is always welcome, and I have to agree that pacing is much better than a single 5-hour investigation followed by the longest court you've ever seen
I wonder where the game is going. Not only do I have no idea about the threads it set up, but even the very beginning of G2-3 seems insane.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://twitter.com/laquilasse/status/1477395077924229121?s=20

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

And that was the last time Miles or Phoenix ever looked up to Gumshoe ever again.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
G2-3 sure is a case. Random thoughts in no particular order:

I think I'm getting the logic of those games because as soon as I saw the plans for the experiment, I was SURE balloons were involved since they were drawn on the paper.

I think this is the best case yet. Great Gina moments along with her new dog finally explain to us why she's a Lestrade. All the characters are fantastic! I only got to the final court and I can't wait to see more of beautiful Robot Man.

I loving love that dumb Bohemian child. "Wäääääääh" loving murdered me for some reason.

I suppose "Professor" is the final villain and is a reference to Moriarty, but I doubt he's named that. Considering what lengths the game goes to hide their face, I will assume this is a character we've seen. Who? No idea. There seem to be three powerful men who hide something: Stronghart, Japanese Judge, and Mikotoba Sr. We haven't heard about Judge's adventures in Britain, but he will come there, so I have my doubts. Stronghart is probably involved in Reaper's killings with all his talk of purging crime. If Sholmes wasn't such a dipshit (and if he didn't have Iris), I would suspect him.

While I wouldn't call most cases in both games that strong, the story and character interactions make up for them. I certainly didn't expect the story to start unfolding like that. So far there are more mysteries than ever, but one thing's for certain. Kazuma's alive. Not sure how to feel about that. I suppose we'll see. The whole amnesia angle seems a bit lazy so far.

I wish I could keep playing but it's 1 AM. gently caress what a game

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
How are there 2 more cases even?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, it's technically one case split in two.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So almost at the end of the game and finding out that Kazuma is likely an assassin is incredibly dumb,

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Not gonna comment on anything specifically since I'm not sure where exactly you're at, but I think the pay off from that line of speculation is entirely worth it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I just beat the game. I'll do a longer write up on it later but I find HLTB's claim of the average completion time being 63 to 77 hours is insane. I clocked in just a few hours under 100.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I just beat the game. I'll do a longer write up on it later but I find HLTB's claim of the average completion time being 63 to 77 hours is insane. I clocked in just a few hours under 100.

I, as a random person on the internet, will be holding you to that promise.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Beat both games! The final playtime is 72 hours. Here are some thoughts:

Overall, great games! I've enjoyed my time with them and hope that they sold well enough for Capcom to actually start localizing and releasing AA games that aren't Trilogy.

One thing that I'm not really feeling right now is Van Zieks. He started out as an amazing prosecutor and over the course of two games wasn't that fun overall. We saw most of his animations on his very first case, and his story kind of abruptly ended without him meeting Iris.

I really enjoyed 2-3, probably my favorite case of the bunch. The final two cases are really good too, and I enjoy how they upped the difficulty by asking you multiple questions in a row.

I suspected Stronghard pretty much from the beginning. He looks evil and reminds me of Gant (was that the name of the dude from 1-5?), especially now with one of his breakdowns being clapping. However, the reveal of Klint being his accomplice and Professor and Reaper being sorta the same thing was great!

Deduction of 2-4 was probably one of the best things in the game. Just random bullshit while you listen to a German song that sounds like something from Black Lodge.

What I didn't like was the lack of nice breakdowns. 1-1 has one of the better ones and then it's barely anything. Good music and animations are your rewards in those games, kinda like quips from Glados were a reward for completing a puzzle in Portal. While the music did go through some welcome changes, I feel like there weren't enough emotions from the characters. Again, especially Van Zieks. But it's a very minor complaint.
Toby loving rules and the animation of him standing up and sniffing something is the best I love Toby

Would really like to get into 4-6, so hope the rumors are true!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Vookatos posted:

I suspected Stronghard pretty much from the beginning. He looks evil and reminds me of Gant (was that the name of the dude from 1-5?), especially now with one of his breakdowns being clapping. However, the reveal of Klint being his accomplice and Professor and Reaper being sorta the same thing was great!

About this: Stronghart was so obviously Gant mk. 2 I was second guessing his final boss status until 2-3 expecting some kind of curve ball.

The reveal around the Professor's case has a nice touch: Kazuma's dad was indeed the one that killed Klint, but not the way anyone expected.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Vookatos posted:

Beat both games! The final playtime is 72 hours. Here are some thoughts:

One thing that I'm not really feeling right now is Van Zieks. He started out as an amazing prosecutor and over the course of two games wasn't that fun overall. We saw most of his animations on his very first case, and his story kind of abruptly ended without him meeting Iris.

I get that, but personally, it one of the things I adore about that character. van Zieks is pretty static because he starts out as a forthright and genuine prosecutor and manages to stay that way throughout the game. The only change he goes through is having slightly more grudging respect for Naruhodo as the story progressing, finally admitting that racism is hella stupid, and coming to terms with the truth of the Professor case, which he takes in relative stride, giving how insanely painful and personal those reveals were.

He completely steals the show in the final case, despite being the defendant. You know him well enough at that point that you know he's telling the truth when he testifies about the Fresno street murder despite all the contradictions, he straight up gets insulted that Kazuma is allowed to prosecute after he's admitted to working as the Reaper's hitman, and he's the one who initially realized the identity of the Reaper once the trial had provided enough information to eliminate any other suspect.

Omobono posted:

About this: Stronghart was so obviously Gant mk. 2 I was second guessing his final boss status until 2-3 expecting some kind of curve ball.

Same. It took me until 2-4 to realize that there was zero chance he was a red herring, though 2-3 did also contribute a fair bit to chipping away at that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Did you finish the last testimony in 2-3 without any help? Probably one of the toughest contradictions to figure out in the whole series.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So my thoughts on the game:

- Counting the games as one title (ala Trails in the Sky), this was by far and wide the best Ace Attorney game I've played. I will admit the original trilogy is a little hazy, but I don't recall enjoying them as much as this one. Dual Destiny's feels so mediocre compared to this game.

- As I said in the GOTY thread, I far prefer the "world" of The Great Ace Attorney to Ace Attorney. Ryunosuke is better than Phoenix and especially Apollo. Susato being a much more competent, professional, and helpful than Maya or Athena. Sholmes just shits all over Gumshoe and...I can't even remember the "new trilogy equivalent". Kazuma is far better than Edgeworth. Van Zieks is one of the best prosecutors in the series. And finally, Victoria England shits all over Jamerica as a backdrop. I wouldn't complain in the least if we never get a game involving the original cast again and just have them focus on the Great Ace Attorney world.

- I appreciated the lack of "super natural" stuff in this entry. The game felt more relatively "grounded" (lol) than previous games and it really helped with the immersion. I do admit that Sholmes inventing pocket sized cellphones and life sized holograms over a hundred years before they existed took me out a bit.

- The game is crazy long. It's like playing the original trilogy and Apollo Justice back to back. I'm not complaining though but this was like a Persona 5 style endurance run.

- My favorite part of the game is the deduction during 2-4. Up until that time a giant elephant in the room is why is Sholmes even known as a detective at all let alone a "great" one? He's a complete moron, his deductions are always off, and he disappears and reappears at random. But then this deduction occurs with a "German" man "singing" and Iris being awfully quiet. The deduction starts off as usual with Sholmes pointing out things that are clearly wrong with Ryunosuke having to correct Sholmes outlandish claims.

Until mid-way through the deduction Sholmes is knocked out unconscious, leaving Ryunosuke and Susato to finish the deduction themselves. It turns out things worked out very well as they completed the deduction no problem...or did they? Sholmes snaps back into consciousness and points out to them that they missed the most crucial part, what Iris is hiding. And it turns out that she's not only hiding something, but it is key to everything that has happened. As Iris explains what has occurred, Sholmes disappears again as Iris truly is able to open up with the situation, with Sholmes coming back right at the end. It is with this scene in the game that things "click". Sholmes may have a wild imagination, but his knack isn't for giving sensible explanations, but rather with his emotional intelligence and ability to feel that something is "off".

If you look at the deductions Sholmes makes, sure the specifics are incredibly stupid but the large strokes are always completely accurate. Indeed a "friend" from "long ago" from a "foreign land" came to visit the residence with Iris having something to do "with the man laying down", all with that being related with Iris "hiding something very important". Yes, the specifics aren't correct, but the general strokes are. And this is the case in many of his deductions. "The Speckled Band" is a good example. The passenger is a "fugitive" who is "in disguise" last night had their "pet" sneak through the vent which "killed" Kazuma. Now again, the context and details are completely out of wack, but the general story of it isn't that far off from what actually happened.

And as for him frequently doing his "Majima Everywhere" impression, there's actually tact to it. He always appears at the perfect time to aid the player on the right course of action, guiding them to a key witness, just to disappear whenever the player is about to ask them sensitive information that the witness wouldn't want to share with a loving world famous detective of all people, with Sholmes showing up just when the witness is done. It really contextualizes his comical antics to be a little more sensible.

Knowing this, it makes you respect (and believe) him when he predicts the entirety of the final case. Sholmes knew that Jigoku was "involved" with the events ten years ago and would "runaway". He knew that the autopsy had "foul play" and that Genshin was "innocent". He knew that Klint was the Reaper with Stronghart ordering him around to "kill the nobles". He knew that Kazuma was an assassin and that Gregson was helping Stronghart do the dirty work. The thing is that is in the quotations weren't in the exact explanations (probably thought Jigoku planned to Antarctica to summon the help of ancient aliens or something) but the large strokes were all correct and thus he was instrumental in saving the day. I just thought that was very cool.

- It's been almost a decade since the series went with 3D models, and while I still maintain that I wish the series continued on with high resolution 2D sprites, this game has some of the most charming and quality animated 3D model work I've seen.

- People say that 2-3 is the best case and while I did adore the massive bombastic finale of 2-4(5), I'm inclined to agree.

Vookatos posted:

Beat both games! The final playtime is 72 hours.

How!?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

punk rebel ecks posted:

So my thoughts on the game:

- My favorite part of the game is the deduction during 2-4. Up until that time a giant elephant in the room is why is Sholmes even known as a detective at all let alone a "great" one? He's a complete moron, his deductions are always off, and he disappears and reappears at random. But then this deduction occurs with a "German" man "singing" and Iris being awfully quiet. The deduction starts off as usual with Sholmes pointing out things that are clearly wrong with Ryunosuke having to correct Sholmes outlandish claims.

Until mid-way through the deduction Sholmes is knocked out unconscious, leaving Ryunosuke and Susato to finish the deduction themselves. It turns out things worked out very well as they completed the deduction no problem...or did they?

Above spoiler and response is about a 2-4 dance of deduction

It his my opinion that Holmes must have been trolling Ryunosuke for a laugh during that dance. Even canon Holmes at his most rear end in a top hat would never fail to recognize his Watson, and this Holmes is a fair bit more personable; in addition, regaining his senses right when Ryunosuke fails to seal the deduction is too big a coincidence compared to simply faking the knockout, and he's absolutely a good enough actor to sell it. He's probably the biggest thespian a man can be short of working at the Globe Theater.

I agree on most of the rest of your read on Holmes, although I'd give him a bit more credit on the finer details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
A popular read on Sholmes is that he actually knows the correct conclusions to all his deductions, and deliberately gets them wrong because he pegs Ryunosuke as a bright lad and wants to teach him the art of deduction (and definitely also because it's funny). It's certainly a valid read on the character, but I prefer the surface reading Susato gives that his brain is just shooting out thoughts so aggressively that it needs to be directed and Sholmes can only manage that on his own in the direst of circumstances.