Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Xenoborg posted:

I've not really been following the Maxwell stuff too closely, but I just had a thought: Where are all the charges against the clients who used the Epstein/Maxwell "services"?

Prince Andrew's had a civil lawsuit filed against him by one of the victims in SDNY that's still making it's way through the courts - the latest being a motion from Prince Andrew's lawyers to have it thrown out based on a prior settlement agreement between the victim and Epstein back in 2009.

quote:

The 2009 settlement between Giuffre and Epstein was published on 3 January 2022 and shows that Giuffre had received $500,000 (£371,000) in her lawsuit against Epstein; the settlement states that upon receipt of the sum, Giuffre agreed to "remise, release, acquit, satisfy and forever discharge the said second parties and any other person or entity who could have been included as a potential defendant … from all, and all manner of, action and actions of Virginia Roberts, including state or federal, cause and causes of action". Giuffre's legal team argued that the terms of the settlement were irrelevant to her case against Andrew. On 4 January 2022 lawyers for both sides argued in court whether the case should go ahead. During the hearing, Judge Kaplan said "The use of the word 'potential' is the use of a word to which neither you nor I can find any meaning at all," adding that only Epstein himself would have been able to explain his view on the meaning of "potential defendants" mentioned in his settlement with Giuffre. Each side is expected to take between 8 and 12 depositions while the decision is being made.

As for criminal charges, :rubby:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I've joked about it being a soggy island prison but lmao if andrew really can't ever leave. Honestly less cruel to kill him

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://twitter.com/CoinersTakingLs/status/1480075187563364355t=dIu5cafKRjeUdin7_rGFzA&s=19

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
CDC continues to do a bang up job of messaging.

https://twitter.com/mattbc/status/1479637131748380672

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh my fat rear end loves reading that.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Eugenicist would be deliberately withholding vaccines or treatment.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

davecrazy posted:

Eugenicist would be deliberately withholding vaccines or treatment.

Yeah this sounds just like a warning.

"Yo you got a combo of 4 comorbidicy? You gonna die if you catch it. IE get vaccinated, wear a mask and perhaps maybe lose some weight but you do you."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah this sounds just like a warning.

"Yo you got a combo of 4 comorbidicy? You gonna die if you catch it. IE get vaccinated, wear a mask and perhaps maybe lose some weight but you do you."

Did you watch the video? She seemed genuinely thrilled that only olds, fatties, diabetics, and other lesser people were dying.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I mean, when you're dealing with a virus that was previously taking out any and all, that IS good news.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

well they don't contribute to The Economy (doing great) so it's like a best case scenario if you're a loving ghoul

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean, when you're dealing with a virus that was previously taking out any and all, that IS good news.

I mean, it's personally good news because I am healthy and white but I'm also not responsible for keeping the country healthy so maybe her attitude should have been more like "it's been determined that 3/4 of deaths are among people with comorbidities which is why we're implementing the following programs to protect those vulnerable populations" instead of "good news! it's only those people dying!"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:psyduck:

It means it's less lethal than it was.

I never thought I'd hear goons argue reduced mortality is a bad thing, but here we are.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

A fully vaccinated 70 year old still has a greater chance of death from Covid than an unvaxxed 40 year old, not even factoring declining antibody response without a booster. Same goes for other comorbidities - the vaccines help, but even those who are taking every precaution and doing everything right are still put at risk if the rest of society is dropping NPI policies like indoor masking etc. It's why the whole Great Barrington Declaration plan to 'focus protection on the vulnerable while everyone else just behaves like Covid doesn't exist' was always a terrible joke.

Here's what the CDC lists as at-risk Covid comorbidities btw:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html posted:

Cancer
Chronic kidney disease
Chronic liver disease
Moderate to severe asthma
Lung disease including bronchiectasis and bronchopulmonary dysplasia
COPD, including emphysema and chronic bronchitis
Damaged or scarred lung tissue, including former moderate to severe influenza or Covid
Pulmonary embolism
Dementia & Alzheimers
Diabetes
Down syndrome
Heart disease including hypertension
HIV infection
Immunodeficiency disorder
Mental health issues, including mood disorders, depression, and schizophrenia
Overweight and obesity
Pregnancy and recently pregnant
Sickle cell disease or thalassemia
Current or former smoker
Solid organ or blood stem cell transplant
Stroke or cerebrovascular disease
Substance abuse
Tuberculosis

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

:psyduck:

It means it's less lethal than it was.

I never thought I'd hear goons argue reduced mortality is a bad thing, but here we are.

reduced mortality is good, the messaging is loving atrocious. we've already had over 800,000 people die and our leadership is demonstrating like, no political willpower to do poo poo, so having this spun the way it is is not very cool

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Stultus Maximus posted:

Did you watch the video? She seemed genuinely thrilled that only olds, fatties, diabetics, and other lesser people were dying.

Shes right to be excited, future variants probably wont be so gentle. Reduced mortality would be all fine and well if this time was being used to deploy more effective measures against the virus, but we are not. If this thing mutates a couple more times we could be in even more dire straights than we are right now.

Has this pandemic affected the doomsday clock at all?

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 9, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Here's what the CDC lists as at-risk Covid comorbidities btw:

I am many of these things. And also high risk for a few others.

Wooo.

That's a general wooo, not a vaccine drama wooo.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

Like most Americans I only read the headline. My time is too important to actually watch videos.

Was she excited it was less deadly or that a bunch of people will die?

From my perspective this seems like a massive drain of potential meat bags for the 4-profit health industry to lose so I’m sure they will work on getting those numbers down on straight out death.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Still early and preliminary, but :sigh: nonetheless: https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/01/08/cyprus-reportedly-discovers-a-covid-variant-that-combines-omicron-and-delta.html

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Platystemon posted:

We do have pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical options for dealing with it. It’s just that we are repeatedly failing to pursue them

Where’s the rush to get Omicron-targeted mRNA vaccines out? What about inhalable or intranasal vaccines that could stimulate mucosal antibodies and reduce transmission as well a provide a second line of defence for their recipients? Why didn’t we attempt to scale up precursor production for all promising antivirals such as Paxlovid? Why were mask and test production capacity not expanded, but allowed to wither on the vine?

https://twitter.com/wsbgnl/status/1472465392442306562

But yes, in the long term, virulent pathogens drive host evolution. One way or another, we will not live with such a virus.

I listened to a podcast episode covering the dawn of Operation Warp Speed and it really has its beginnings in a failed “masks for every American campaign.” The leader of Op Warp Speed initially went to Hanes company and they said they could quickly retool and produce 300-400million masks like overnight practically, and the goal was to send these out to every American. It would’ve made Trump be very pro-mask. It ALMOST worked, but the masks were literally made out of the same cotton as Hanes underwear. During a trial briefing to the president and cabinet presenting the new masks, they all said it was too akin to wearing tighty-whitys on the face. So the whole op was scrapped, trump became very anti mask in order to push and goad everyone involved into scrapping the plan, and said leader of Op Warp Speed then fell back on.. well if it can’t be masks we have to spend all this extra money on a vaccine. In hindsight (no pun intended) sending masks to every single American and pushing pro mask agenda would have probably drastically slowed the initial surge of cases, and probably profoundly changed the political landscape we have now. Too bad they were made out of underwear, really.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

As of right now, the Cyprus Deltacron appears to be bullshit, subject to change:

https://twitter.com/DrAhmedKalebi/status/1479993299008110592?t=e0ieJqi6ChEzXSKFxE7cwA&s=19

There was another report from Morocco of like another strain that was detected and quickly died - this kind of stuff apparently happens a lot. Everyone's on edge because nobody knows where the hell Omicron came from - the scientific community expected a Delta-lineage and got this weird variant.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

DELTACRON

Efb

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Blind Rasputin posted:

I listened to a podcast episode covering the dawn of Operation Warp Speed and it really has its beginnings in a failed “masks for every American campaign.” The leader of Op Warp Speed initially went to Hanes company and they said they could quickly retool and produce 300-400million masks like overnight practically, and the goal was to send these out to every American. It would’ve made Trump be very pro-mask. It ALMOST worked, but the masks were literally made out of the same cotton as Hanes underwear. During a trial briefing to the president and cabinet presenting the new masks, they all said it was too akin to wearing tighty-whitys on the face. So the whole op was scrapped, trump became very anti mask in order to push and goad everyone involved into scrapping the plan, and said leader of Op Warp Speed then fell back on.. well if it can’t be masks we have to spend all this extra money on a vaccine. In hindsight (no pun intended) sending masks to every single American and pushing pro mask agenda would have probably drastically slowed the initial surge of cases, and probably profoundly changed the political landscape we have now. Too bad they were made out of underwear, really.

Woah that’s interesting. I knew there had been talk of USPS putting masks in everyone’s mailbox but didn’t know the details. Yeah if trump had early on adopted masks with a “grumble grumble they’re no fun but we’re all in this together” and closely associated himself with the stimulus checks, he’d have likely won.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

maffew buildings posted:

reduced mortality is good, the messaging is loving atrocious. we've already had over 800,000 people die and our leadership is demonstrating like, no political willpower to do poo poo, so having this spun the way it is is not very cool

My guess is that scientists and decision makers are constantly seeing things like this and it's warping their brains:

https://twitter.com/cliffordlevy/status/1480184928054779905?t=AzzUcSLwJX8ex1fkpg0Xxg&s=19

Chart after chart and data point after data point basically say that vaccines are made of magic, are absurdly effective, and there's no rational reason why people wouldn't want them. So, people like the CDC director are constantly framing their speeches targeted towards unvaccinated skeptics that operate in bad faith, because vaccines are still absurdly effective even in the omicron wave.

So the scientist folks get the bad faith SEE, VACCINES DON'T WORK, PEOPLE STILL DIE IF THEY GET VACCINATED and counter it with "well yeah, vaccines aren't 100%, those people dying are mostly people with comorbidities and risk factors and that's a good thing and ok, go get vaccinated!" While said people with said risk factors are justified in going HEY WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS EUGENICIST BULLSHIT?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

Has this pandemic affected the doomsday clock at all?

It was my impression that the Doomsday Clock is a cold war implement to measure specifically nuclear destruction and political tension about armament

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Soul Dentist posted:

It was my impression that the Doomsday Clock is a cold war implement to measure specifically nuclear destruction and political tension about armament

They started tracking climate change and a whole basket of other bad things on it too so it's just a general feel bad symbol.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

As of right now, the Cyprus Deltacron appears to be bullshit, subject to change:

https://twitter.com/DrAhmedKalebi/status/1479993299008110592?t=e0ieJqi6ChEzXSKFxE7cwA&s=19

There was another report from Morocco of like another strain that was detected and quickly died - this kind of stuff apparently happens a lot. Everyone's on edge because nobody knows where the hell Omicron came from - the scientific community expected a Delta-lineage and got this weird variant.

Ah, good to know the Marseilles variant was also a bust.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Soul Dentist posted:

They adjusted it to include more modern threats to society after the cold war ended. It includes things like climate change now.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ah, good to know the Marseilles variant was also a bust.

Here's the info on that one - the Marseilles / Cameroon B.1.640.2 actually predates Omicron and got outcompeted:

https://twitter.com/PeacockFlu/status/1478118173903839237

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/ihu-variant-covid-france-omicron-b1989546.html

It's a confluence of clickbait for money/eyeballs, everyone trying to be armchair researchers (hi), and our overreliance on pre-prints and non-peer reviewed papers because of the need for fast data.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

They adjusted it to include more modern threats to society after the cold war ended. It includes things like climate change now.

Given that one of the most plausible and probable causes for a nuclear war in the short- to mid-term will be related to water access, it fits.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I found a good test for confirming if someone is definitely a douchebag.
Do you own a Tesla and Do you Mine Crypto with it?
You do? Well you are a douchebag then.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jasonmbrodsky/status/1479414241245511681?s=21

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
loving damnit. A sudden one, as he had a show yesterday.

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1480335825221169155

He launched a podcast last year "Bob Saget's Here for You" which uh :v:

https://twitter.com/OrangeCoSheriff/status/1480340290917609473

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 10, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s especially funny because Peacock is the person who identified the cluster that we now know as Omicron from just four sequences in a database.

His prior “big” find was B.1.640. It’s a real cluster, he correctly identified it, and it lent credence to his new find (the one that would become Omicron), but it doesn’t have nearly the global significance.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

loving damnit. A sudden one, as he had a show yesterday.

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1480335825221169155

Sad, but you don't tend to see old age when you're sucking dick for coke.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

At least it wasn't cheeseburgers or nickels.

Half-Baked was great though. Haven't watched in years though.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Edit: nvm, completely spaced on the joke. Stultus if you read my unedited post, my apologies. My bad.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Midjack posted:

They started tracking climate change and a whole basket of other bad things on it too so it's just a general feel bad symbol.

Oh, the sun rising in the morning wasn't enough for them?

RIP Bob Saget, but good riddance to the voiceovers he used to do over home videos. He probably hated them more than I do.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Now Josh Radnor has to grow into becoming Bob Saget.

brains
May 12, 2004

Godholio posted:

Oh, the sun rising in the morning wasn't enough for them?

well it only took a single moonrise to almost run out the clock for real, after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/RepAOC/status/1480315667802959873