Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The original guy who posited the ‘drop a cup in the forest and it’ll be there two months’ conveniently forgot the logical fallacy contained therein: the game would need to be able to handle thousands of assholes shipping millions of cups to every square metre of terrain in the game on an hourly basis. Entire economies would spring up to supply billions of cups to trolls dedicated to writing TRUMP 2942 MAKE THE VERSE GREAT on a moon surface or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ColdLightheartedGoldenretriever-mobile.mp4

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Torquemada posted:

The original guy who posited the ‘drop a cup in the forest and it’ll be there two months’ conveniently forgot the logical fallacy contained therein: the game would need to be able to handle thousands of assholes shipping millions of cups to every square metre of terrain in the game on an hourly basis. Entire economies would spring up to supply billions of cups to trolls dedicated to writing TRUMP 2942 MAKE THE VERSE GREAT on a moon surface or something.

Just use NFTs and it would solve that problem.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Torquemada posted:

Just charge $24.99 per cup.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Gynovore posted:

Just charge $24.99 per cup.

You think this would discourage backers?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Popete posted:

You think this would discourage backers?

They never had courage in the first place

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Torquemada posted:

Mankind celebrates their completion of the first Dyson Sphere to provide extreme amounts of energy to their one united purpose: adding more coffee cups to the solar system of Stanton in Star Citizen.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mellow_ posted:

Mankind celebrates their completion of the first Dyson Sphere to provide extreme amounts of energy to their one united purpose: adding more coffee cups to the solar system of Stanton in Star Citizen.

Mankind celebrates their completion of the first Dyson Sphere, now there will be enough power for bitcoin mining.

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

trucutru posted:

-A single server will never be able to handle that many players connecting from all across the globe in a real time twitch-based dogfighting game!

Chris Roberts: Just add more servers.

That's it. There is no coherent plan or tech behind the whole thing. Theoretically it can be any thing and it can be implemented in any way.

What seems the dumbest is: What if everyone gathers in the same place? The meshing would basically devolve into peer to peer.
Maybe they'd have to add some "sorry, this part of the verse is full" message.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

trucutru posted:

Mankind celebrates their completion of the first Dyson Sphere, now there will be enough power for bitcoin mining.

The Dyson Sphere program, intended to be paid for with bitcoin, has gone bankrupt after making near infinite energy for humanity, resulting in a crash in the crypto currency market.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
:pseudo: 'twas the year Ethereum finally went proof of stake.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can space vampires be killed with proof of stake?

Flarpy posted:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Charles 1998 posted:

The Dyson Sphere program, intended to be paid for with bitcoin, has gone bankrupt after making near infinite energy for humanity, resulting in a crash in the crypto currency market.

infinite energy will only crash the crypto market if there is also infinite matter to build miners with. :eng101:

otherwise things will ground to a halt once all the atoms in the solar system are dedicated to mining (which would take only a few years, what with exponential growth).

Therefore, unless we can readily transform that energy into mass you should buy Buy BUY

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Flarpy posted:

What seems the dumbest is: What if everyone gathers in the same place? The meshing would basically devolve into peer to peer.

I mean, this is the same problem as the cup thing only much worse because an individual cup is a relatively small piece of information, it just sits there: a commando is exceptionally dense (ho ho) with all the moving doodads and greebles and weapons and a bike and argon levels and the ability to call down a railgun strike (continues fantasising for another ten years)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Can a coffee mug be destroyed and wiped from the verse?

Or do the shards of its destructed remains sit there indefinitely?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

Can a coffee mug be destroyed and wiped from the verse?

Or do the shards of its destructed remains sit there indefinitely?

If a coffee mug is shattered, can another player collect the pieces and glue them into an intact mug again?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Flarpy posted:

Asheron's Call "solved" this problem by causing a magical storm when too many people gathered in the same place, randomly teleporting them elsewhere nearby. Of course this was exploitable - you could get to places where you weren't supposed to be, by gathering nearby and getting randomly shat there.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Burkion posted:

Yeah that all tracks.

In theory a single massive super server is possible, but not with the tech we have and probably not for a long rear end time to come. Nevermind the technical nightmares even if it was possible.

It would also help if Star Citizen didn't transfer truly immense amounts of data per client. I recall someone checking out the data flow in standard play. In some situations it was hitting multiple MB per second, and that will increase exponentially with every player in close proximity.
It's not a problem that can be solved with "more servers" or "better servers" as it's only partially a computation bottleneck. EVE used Time Dilation to solve these problems but this is not an option in a 'twitch' shooter such as Star Citizen.

Their dynamic server meshing cannot even theoretically solve their problems past a certain point. Given their inefficiency with data they will quickly reach the limit of scaling, perhaps with around 100-200 players per server (being very generous here).

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
more like TWIT shooter

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

lobsterminator posted:

If a coffee mug is shattered, can another player collect the pieces and glue them into an intact mug again?

The game code itself is held together by hot glue, so why not?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
'Member Time:

'Member when an SC supporter opined about if only we weren't constrained by the limits of binary and could instead have every bit have 8 states, an octabit so to speak, we could pack so much more into code!

I 'member.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

It's an ego thing. They're suffering from a sunken cost, in that they've invested a huge amount of time, effort and emotion in opposing SC over the years. This has resulted in them doubling down on their original opinion of the game so often that they now cannot change their mind irrespective of how much evidence is presented to them. SC could launch tomorrow, with everything that was ever promised and to universal acclaim, and they'd still refuse to accept that it wasn't a scam.

People with fragile egos never change their mind, because they think that reconsidering something in light of new information is a sign of weakness. They think it means that you allowed someone else to convince you that something was untrue, and that the other person thus had full control over your thought process. They therefore think that refusing to change your mind under any circumstances is a sign of strength.

Ever seen a conspiracy theorist presented with irrefutable proof that their beliefs are wrong? How often do they find some way to distort things so that they can reject that proof and retain their beliefs? Well, the refunds sub is no different. It's just one of several forums in which they can reinforce their shared delusions to prevent their fragile ego from having to accept that they were wrong. They can't stop, because if they do then they might gradually allow their mind to be changed, and that would be weak...

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Mirificus posted:

It's an ego thing. They're suffering from a sunken cost, in that they've invested a huge amount of time, effort and emotion in opposing SC over the years. This has resulted in them doubling down on their original opinion of the game so often that they now cannot change their mind irrespective of how much evidence is presented to them. SC could launch tomorrow, with everything that was ever promised and to universal acclaim, and they'd still refuse to accept that it wasn't a scam.

People with fragile egos never change their mind, because they think that reconsidering something in light of new information is a sign of weakness. They think it means that you allowed someone else to convince you that something was untrue, and that the other person thus had full control over your thought process. They therefore think that refusing to change your mind under any circumstances is a sign of strength.

Ever seen a conspiracy theorist presented with irrefutable proof that their beliefs are wrong? How often do they find some way to distort things so that they can reject that proof and retain their beliefs? Well, the refunds sub is no different. It's just one of several forums in which they can reinforce their shared delusions to prevent their fragile ego from having to accept that they were wrong. They can't stop, because if they do then they might gradually allow their mind to be changed, and that would be weak...

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Star Citizen: refusing to change your mind under any circumstances is a sign of strength

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

While I like to poo poo on Star Citizen, I don't have a problem with the game per say*, if people enjoy it, who am I to say they are wrong.

My problem with Star Citizen is Chris Roberts and the exploitive business practices he has used to enrich himself and his family and friends.

*I'm not a space sim guy, but I am a gamer and to me there appears to be multiple bad game design decision that have been made into the back bone of Star Citizen. It also lack any sense of aesthetic style. Also, it's a buggy mess.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

trucutru posted:

infinite energy will only crash the crypto market if there is also infinite matter to build miners with. :eng101:

otherwise things will ground to a halt once all the atoms in the solar system are dedicated to mining (which would take only a few years, what with exponential growth).

Therefore, unless we can readily transform that energy into mass you should buy Buy BUY

Most GPUs are not used for mining because of energy costs. If we had limitless energy, everyone would be running miners on their gaming computers which would crash the market.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Kosumo posted:

I don't have a problem with the game per say*,

There's a certain je ne sais qious about this post

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

monkeytek posted:

'Member Time:

'Member when an SC supporter opined about if only we weren't constrained by the limits of binary and could instead have every bit have 8 states, an octabit so to speak, we could pack so much more into code!

I 'member.

yeah that was bizarre at least.
there were several talks about general thechnical quantum leaps (sorry tony z for stealing your buzzword) that would then of course be used exclusively for star citizen. like, only star citizen would then use these innovations, not other game companies, because thats how it goes.

tell a star citizen: here is a time machine, but you can use it only one time. what do you do?
citizen: i will hand over a usb drive with the current alpha built to baby chris roberts!!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Charles 1998 posted:

Most GPUs are not used for mining because of energy costs. If we had limitless energy, everyone would be running miners on their gaming computers which would crash the market.

I mean, this is just a series of shitposts but... No, it wouldn't. The bitcoin protocol is designed to be able to accommodate (and waste) any amount of computer power. You could create a series of miners a trillion times more efficient than the ones that we have right now, give a million to every person on the planet, have free energy, and the system would adapt to all that new power in a few nanoseconds. From then on you would need all that power just to keep stuff running at the same pace as today . Just like bitcoin right now consumes billions of times more energy today to do the same thing it did in 2011.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 9, 2022

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

trucutru posted:

I mean, this is just a series of shitposts but... No, it wouldn't. The bitcoin protocol is designed to be able to accommodate (and waste) any amount of computer power. You could create a series of miners a trillion times more efficient than the ones that we have right now, give a million to every person on the planet, have free energy, and the system would adapt to all that new power in a few nanoseconds. From then on you would need all that power just to keep stuff running at the same pace as today . Just like bitcoin right now consumes billions of times more energy today to do the same thing it did in 2011.

OK maybe I'm remembering this wrong but wasn't there a concern with bitcoin where if enough miners stopped mining it would cause a failscade where no transactions could be processed? Doesn't that imply its not as responsive as you're making it out to be? I think this issue was brought up during the bitcoin fork.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Charles 1998 posted:

OK maybe I'm remembering this wrong but wasn't there a concern with bitcoin where if enough miners stopped mining it would cause a failscade where no transactions could be processed? Doesn't that imply its not as responsive as you're making it out to be? I think this issue was brought up during the bitcoin fork.
It's not as responsive as trucutru indicated — bitcoin adjusts difficulties every 2016 blocks. It tries to keep the difficulty at one block every ten minutes, so it would expect to check the difficulty every 15 days at a steady state. Since mining power typically increases over time, the difficulty usually adjusts a bit faster than every 15 days.

e: that said, the rest of their post is accurate. Less than two weeks after the invention of free energy, the difficulty will spike and everyone will be getting less bitcoin than they were before. Not doing the math to figure out if the additional wear and tear on the graphics cards would be profitable in either case.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 10, 2022

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Charles 1998 posted:

It's more of a security thing. Like, suppose I was a scammer, and I created a phony transaction saying " *some rich person* gives *me* 100 bitcoins". I then bundle the transaction into a block. In order for this transaction to be verified, I would have to solve the phony block myself. Even If I had spent, say, $25,000 on mining rigs, I would still control only one millionth of the mining power on the network, so therefore I would have only a one in a million chance of pulling off the scam. (I'm pulling these numbers out of my rear end, the actual total is probably way higher.)

But, two things. First, the reward for mining buttcoin halves every ~4 years. Second, mining rigs consume a shitload of electricity, and from the looks of things the cost of energy will only increase. So, the amount of miners will very likely go down over time. I'm guessing that at some point, it will be possible for people with lots of mining power to effectively scam, at which point scammers will hoover the buttcoins out of every legit wallet, making them worthless.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Charles 1998 posted:

The system is programmed to re-calibrate every 2016 blocks (which normally means 2 weeks) so if lots of miners leave then those blocks will be difficult to process and transactions will be mined more slowly and the adjustment may take a while. On the other hand, If you add a shitload of computing power and manage to finish those 2016 blocks in 5 seconds instead of 2 weeks then the system will happily adjust to the new situation after those 5 seconds.

In other words, it is extremely responsive when going up and can be sluggish when going down. Bit bitcoin only goes up, uP, UP!

Elysiume posted:

It's not as responsive as trucutru indicated —

Yes it is. :fishmech: If you add a trillion new miners those 2016 blocks will disappear in a second and trigger the adjustment

trucutru fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 10, 2022

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

SelenicMartian posted:

Can space vampires be killed with proof of stake?

Oh my god, that's Reboot isn't it. This is what backers wanted

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I went back to Sunless Skies and I really wanted to love it, because Sunless Seas was great and I like the setting.

But it's such a boring slog: it takes ages to fly around, going from one location to another. I'm eager to find how each sub-plot will unravel, but that happens after several hops, which take quite a while. Sure, they added random events and encounters mid-trip, but those get repetitive and boring quickly.

In the end, time spent flying between locations feels a lot like artificial filler, which always reminds me of the ways Star Citizen is wasting your time for no reason at all.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

There's a certain je ne sais qious about this post

"per say" happens so often I barely even register it any more, and will probably be legitimised in the OED a few years from now as an alternative spelling for "per se"

IMO it's not too bad a wrong phrase if you only ever hear it spoken instead of written, it's immediately obvious what should have been written so it is still simple to parse, unlike my favourite "for all intensive purposes" which, just lol

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Man, the people at spectrum are still bitching about the nerf of the Ares Ion. It's been like a month, let it go.

It's is as if they bought a ship and then it was nerfed to hell and back. But they actually pledged for the development of the game and got a gifted ship in return so I fail to see the issue.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

JugbandDude posted:

I went back to Sunless Skies and I really wanted to love it, because Sunless Seas was great and I like the setting.

But it's such a boring slog: it takes ages to fly around, going from one location to another. I'm eager to find how each sub-plot will unravel, but that happens after several hops, which take quite a while. Sure, they added random events and encounters mid-trip, but those get repetitive and boring quickly.

In the end, time spent flying between locations feels a lot like artificial filler, which always reminds me of the ways Star Citizen is wasting your time for no reason at all.

it also lost the main writer (who went on to make cultist simulator) so the real question is why they bothered

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

For all intensive purposes I am sorry for my poor use of "per say"

I am teh dumbs.

I'll buy an Idris Ares Ion and then go bitch on spectrum about it being nerfed.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
How's blockchain commander coming along?

Has Chris reached financial nirvana yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

trucutru posted:

Man, the people at spectrum are still bitching about the nerf of the Ares Ion. It's been like a month, let it go.

It's is as if they bought a ship and then it was nerfed to hell and back. But they actually pledged for the development of the game and got a gifted ship in return so I fail to see the issue.

Yeah its not like they shipped it with a missing seat.