Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

What's wrong with MCH? I'm going to be leveling it to 90 for my physical ranged soon.

Its damage just isn't that good when you consider it doesn't give any big buffs to the group like DNC/BRD do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Anyone know of a good guide for new Monk that covers lower levels? (Text preferred, but I am pretty resigned to too much stuff being videos these days).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Another successful Rejoining

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

drat Dirty Ape posted:

What's wrong with MCH? I'm going to be leveling it to 90 for my physical ranged soon.

It's not really that big a deal from a gameplay standpoint, but pretty much MCH is supposed to be the highest-damage ranged DPS class since the only utility it offers is Tactician (which is mirrored and mutually exclusive with Troubadour on Bard and Shield Samba on Dancer). Right now the class does less damage than Bard, meaning that if you take a Machinist over a Bard you lose utility (Knight's Minne, Warden's Paean) in exchange for less DPS. Dancer also brings Curing Waltz and Improvisation to the table over Machinist, and it's getting its numbers tweaked to do more damage.

Those utility skills aren't incredibly important so if your ranged player wants to play MCH it's absolutely 100% OK for them to play MCH, it just feels bad that the class with zero utility isn't doing more damage to make up for it.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

OddObserver posted:

Anyone know of a good guide for new Monk that covers lower levels? (Text preferred, but I am pretty resigned to too much stuff being videos these days).

I leveled it 1-90 over the holiday break and I try to optimize as I go — what questions do you have?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

admanb posted:

I leveled it 1-90 over the holiday break and I try to optimize as I go — what questions do you have?

At this point (60), mostly what beast chakra/nadi/blitzes should I be aiming for?

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Harrow posted:

Warrior is ludicrous in dungeons but the same tools are less so in raids so I think there's not much pressure to nerf them. Warrior is in a good place right now for raid tanking but not overpowered in that setting either, and that seems to probably be the bigger concern for balancing. I dunno, maybe they'll add diminishing returns on Bloodwhetting's healing in 6.1 for hitting multiple targets or something but I'm not sure what the history is for changing balance based on dungeons specifically.

This is the answer. Dungeon balance is not really a concern for SE.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I am still relatively very new to this game but my experience playing with my friends is that our Dark Knight runs past like three or four groups of mobs that the game, I don't know, maybe wants us to fight one or two at a time and then twenty different enemies claw his eyes out while our Sage shoots lasers at all the enemies and the Dark Knight dies and then they all talk about how bad Dark Knight is and I go "why don't we just fight fewer enemies at a time" and they're like "no you don't understand"

Anyway I'd really like to get Bard to 90 but it's taking fuckin' forever and I've gotten to the point where the leveling roulette no longer even gives me a full level's worth of EXP so if I get some disposable cash soon I might just pay to shoot it up to 80.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ahh ok, well MCH sounds like something that can be fixed with a few potency adjustments so I'm sure they'll get around to it sooner or later. I like a lot about MCH except for the hypercharge / heat blast spam part of it. I realize it's one of the key mechanics, but it just doesn't feel good to me (maybe it's just the swinging my gun like a sword heat blast animation).

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

OddObserver posted:

At this point (60), mostly what beast chakra/nadi/blitzes should I be aiming for?

once you get blitz the priority of what you want never really changes between there and cap. you need both nadi-- lunar and solar.

lunar is gotten by getting three of the same beast chakra. you should get this by alternating bootshine and dragon kick. or dragon kick and bootshine. doesn't matter which you start with, as long as all three are gotten by those two abilities. these are the three most damaging gcds you can ever pick under perfect balance, which will come up again later.

solar is gotten by getting three different beast chakra. it doesn't really matter which gcds you pick. you can kind of just hit perfect balance and then continue your rotation as normal. in an ideal rotation, you can ensure that this nadi is gotten by at least using demolish and twin snakes, and then follow that up immediately with the lunar nadi pb, because that takes some time and you want to make sure your buffs and debuffs were applied recently and won't fall off while you're spamming bootshine. but until you have riddle of fire and brotherhood, i wouldn't worry about lining this up perfectly.

once you have both nadi, the next perfect balance you do of any combination will lead to tornado kick (eventually upgraded to phantom blitz). because the pb can be anything, it should be bootshine/dk spam again, because it's the most damaging thing you can do. however, if you gently caress it up somehow, you will still always get the final blitz, so don't worry about it too much. this includes if you beef it really badly and only get two beast chakra instead of all three or just one repeating

you should try to avoid two beast chakra at all times. an example of this would be like, perfect balance into dragon kick, twin snakes, bootshine. that's two opo opo and a raptor. if you get this, your blitz is celestial revolution which is the comedy option. it does trash damage with no aoe. the only upside to it is if you already have either lunar or solar nadi, you will get the other regardless of which you need. it is not worth targeting on purpose, either way.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh, cool, I don't know exactly when I hit max rank on my Chocobo, but it was in the past week. (I didn't even notice until this week's Bosom Buddies II challenge didn't give any XP.)

Also, for those asking about the stuff from the Radio Mog Station stream, here's a recap of the bigger stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAs6xHsva34

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ahh ok, well MCH sounds like something that can be fixed with a few potency adjustments so I'm sure they'll get around to it sooner or later. I like a lot about MCH except for the hypercharge / heat blast spam part of it. I realize it's one of the key mechanics, but it just doesn't feel good to me (maybe it's just the swinging my gun like a sword heat blast animation).

If you have fun playing it that's all that really matters.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

OddObserver posted:

At 60 you have almost the full toolkit, so this is pretty much the same as max level: your best three-hit DPS output is Bootshine+Dragon Kick (either BS-DK-BS or DK-BS-DK depending on whether you have a Leaden Fist up when you start) so you always want to do that for the three-of-the-same Nadi and as often as possible for your finisher. The three-different Nadi is entirely based on what buffs you need -- is Disciplined Fist gonna drop off before your finisher? Use that. Ditto Demolish.

Similarly, the stack of freedom you get post-Blitz should always be used on Bootshine or Dragon Kick unless you have a buff that needs to be refreshed.

For your finisher the most important thing is that it doesn't matter what you do at all, because as long as you have both Nadi you'll always do the big hit. Your best DPS is BS/DK, but if you need to refresh a buff you can do DK-BS-buff without weakening the finisher.

The only thing that changes as you push to 90 is that burst windows get more important. Once you have Riddle of Fire you want all your blitz to land during RoF windows, which line up so you can do RoF-two blitz-downtime-RoF-blitz finisher.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

blue reflection 2nd light was this year and owns, and also has a protagonist who uses a scythe, just like half of endwalker playthroughs

it's also the game to have a greater than 50% matchup against endwalker among people who ranked both

In other words, most people who played both endwalker and blue reflection second light, liked br better

(it was 2 people who liked it better out of 3 people total who played both but shhhhh)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That recap notably mentions MCH as getting its damage looked at.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Part of my dissertation was about a mid-century writer with the same name as I guess a famous anime character so whenever people of a certain age asked me what it was about they'd have a half second where they thought I was just in grad school studying this anime bad guy, and whenever I googled him to find a photo to use for stuff I'd have to wade through tons of images and fanart of this steampunk guy with a helicopter coming out of his back, so I feel where this person is coming from.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

Part of my dissertation was about a mid-century writer with the same name as I guess a famous anime character so whenever people of a certain age asked me what it was about they'd have a half second where they thought I was just in grad school studying this anime bad guy, and whenever I googled him to find a photo to use for stuff I'd have to wade through tons of images and fanart of this steampunk guy with a helicopter coming out of his back, so I feel where this person is coming from.

One thing I have discovered is that if you are writing about basically anything and need to find actual sources you are inevitably going to discover that it was connected to an anime.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I want one of the guns those guys use in the Dead Ends.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Chillgamesh posted:

Yeah there's a post on reddit, apparently they're gonna push a balance pass before 6.1 and buff SAM, BLM, MNK, and DNC in it (lol mch)

Good to hear that they're planning to buff jobs to Reaper-tier rather than just tearing down a brand new job that has become very popular (admittedly in part due to its damage potential).

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

HackensackBackpack posted:

I want one of the guns those guys use in the Dead Ends.

:yeah:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Thundarr posted:

Good to hear that they're planning to buff jobs to Reaper-tier rather than just tearing down a brand new job that has become very popular (admittedly in part due to its damage potential).

I'm watching a video on it right now and apparently they specifically say they aren't gonna nerf Reaper any more beyond the decrease to Arcane Crest's HoT. Also like Subjunctive said, they are probably gonna buff MCH too

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Someone in the thread said they preferred the buff school of revisions rather than nerfs, and it is a much better design philosophy.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Straight up saying 'buff things to balance' is just as bad as saying 'nerf things to balance'. You need to do both.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
If the bosses are designed around doing 100 dps and an outlier is doing 120 dps, buffing everyone to that level just makes the game too easy.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They have a lot of stuff to balance around. They have the backend data on, eg, stuff like trust dungeons and solo duties and if those things are taking longer or have a higher failure rate for Dancers than BRD or MCH due to the damage difference that's an issue that needs to be addressed. They can't only care about high end trials and raids.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I just finished the msq last night at like 4:30am and now I'm ready to read all the spoilers I missed in the past month!!! Oh wait there are post-msq things????? gently caress me, it must be done...

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/14_aomm/status/1479806535442530304

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CJ posted:

If the bosses are designed around doing 100 dps and an outlier is doing 120 dps, buffing everyone to that level just makes the game too easy.

So the solution is to buff every boss in the game alongside every class? :hmmyes:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I mean it's not like the bosses are skipping phases if you bring an optimal comp unless you're also parsing 99

I think it would be fine if every comp was doing within 5% of the current optimal comp

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

CJ posted:

this is happening for 6.1, so it'll coincide with the echo being added to asphedelos savage. if job changes happen to make it easier at the same time, well, that just matches up with what their goals were anyway

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I thought the buffs were comping in 6.08?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

escape mechanism posted:

ShB playthrough thoughts, MSQ 78, dungeon and trial 79: :words:

Buddy, you're in for a ride.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Mordiceius posted:

Buddy, you're in for a ride.

Like the entire cutscene after the first 80 dungeon, which is tied with the 3.3 trial for the greatest music cue in the game

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Frida Call Me posted:

i mean, i agree, and i'm being as dishonest as possible when i'm on white mage - but it's kind of ludicrous right now just how much healing warrior can do. i went to go cast benediction on them 3 or 4 times only to watch them refill their own hit points from 10 or 15% to full. it's nuts!

If I'm at 15% I'm not going to say "maybe the healer's got this".

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Ran a Copperbell Hard last night on RPR for kicks. I didn't think it was possible to wipe on every boss more than once but we sure did! It wasn't even sprouts. I was the only one dropping bombs on Biggy, no one moved out of the abyss worm. loving wild time for 1/3 of a level.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Bruceski posted:

Laughs in rear end clinching Essential Dignity

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Bruceski posted:

If Bloodwhetting's up, with just two trash packs worth of targets you will absolutely heal yourself for well over 100% of your max HP with a single AoE attack. More if you crit

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chillgamesh posted:

If Bloodwhetting's up, with just two trash packs worth of targets you will absolutely heal yourself for well over 100% of your max HP with a single AoE attack. More if you crit

Yup, so I'm not going to wait in case the healer's got something planned.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I'm leveling PLD mostly just for my combat retainer, but drat if you guys aren't making me want to pick Warrior back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Venuz Patrol posted:

this is happening for 6.1, so it'll coincide with the echo being added to asphedelos savage. if job changes happen to make it easier at the same time, well, that just matches up with what their goals were anyway

Echo won't be added to savage until the next tier launches with 6.2.