Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I dunno, I think it looks fine, that is what I imagine a serial killer rendition of The Riddler would look.:shrug: It's just one of those slightly awkward publicity photos of the costume which a number of Batman films have suffered from (I remember there being some really goofy ones of Bale for TDK).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're clearly going for a Zodiac thing, dunno how well it works though

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
NO BOWLER HAT NO SELL

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arist posted:

They're clearly going for a Zodiac thing, dunno how well it works though
To me it makes perfect sense and I'm excited to see how that turns out in the movie

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I gotta say, these portrait-lit publicity shots rarely do any favors for superhero costumes (except the ones that just loving work on every level, like Spider-Man) but this one is exceptionally funny for some reason

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I saw spider-man and enjoyed it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Just straight up making the Riddler the Zodiac feels kind of lazy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I honestly thought we were past "gotta make the comic thing gritty and realistic until its unrecognizable."

I get why they wouldn't want the classic Riddler, but there's a lot of space between that and something as generic as this. I dunno. Maybe it will work in the film. Maybe its just an outer costume or transitional one or something. Maybe he'll be a grumbly Jigsaw knockoff serial killer and it will totally kill. I've said it before but I just don't think I'm into this Batman or the need to do this kind of thing again.

But I mean its Batman so there will probably always be an audience.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
This new batman movie seems really similar to the aranofsky batman treatment i heard about, whats up with that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ilikedirt posted:

This new batman movie seems really similar to the aranofsky batman treatment i heard about, whats up with that
But the Aranofsky version also heavily borrowed from Batman: Year One, so that may be why

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Barry Convex posted:

interesting to see how COVID changed some of the plans here

https://twitter.com/Lunwi88/status/1479669536567615491

Who was she supposed to be though? One of those apprentices shoveling snow at the beginning who tags along with Peter and friends? A classmate?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Maybe he'll be a grumbly Jigsaw knockoff serial killer and it will totally kill.

That's sorta what they did with him in the Arkham City game and it worked really well there. Just kidnapping people and putting them in death traps for Batman to try and solve.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

It looks fine, but I can't help but feel that it's a little uninspired. It doesn't have any standout visual elements except for the single question mark. I think I would've liked it better if they had dotted the entire coat in question marks, or if they had at least included a splash of purple in there.

Also the eyeholes are spaced a little too far apart and that makes him look really doofy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe they're using the coat in all the promo shots to cover up a full Gorshin/Carrey Riddler bodysuit.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Lame. I want to see Dano and Pattinson have a cute flippy hair fight

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't like it because i'm tired of Realistic, Grounded and Gritty Batman.

But people are such fiends for Batman, they'll see it because they just need that next hit of Batman. Its like for ever thing I like for what I've seen, there's something that i don't like. But then I've also been very openly tired of Batman, I'm tired of dour, stoic, brooding Batman that just grumbles and punches people.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

But people are such fiends for Batman, they'll see it because they just need that next hit of Batman. Its like for ever thing I like for what I've seen, there's something that i don't like. But then I've also been very openly tired of Batman, I'm tired of dour, stoic, brooding Batman that just grumbles and punches people.

We’ll never get it but a powder blue and grey 70s batman fighting morts like the Royal Flush Gang and 10-eyed man movie would be fantastic.

Of course even if that did somehow get made and was charming and not dour, there’s no way the studio would restrain themselves from doing Death in the Family for a sequel.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

twistedmentat posted:

It's definitely a little exhausting. I don't necessarily need them to stop treating Batman as "Serious" because that's clearly what's in vogue right now, but I wish they could at least have more fun with him at the same time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just sick of films doing Year One/TDKR homages.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean I'm excited for The Batman because Matt Reeves is an awesome director

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
That Riddler is some Ned Flanders S&M nonsense.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
If that's the effort he puts into his costumes, how much time is he putting into his riddles? It's like seeing a resume full of typos.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Sanschel posted:

We’ll never get it but a powder blue and grey 70s batman fighting morts like the Royal Flush Gang and 10-eyed man movie would be fantastic.

First, totally agree on both the classic Grey and Blue and fighting someone low level like the Royal Flush Gang. That would make a great opener. Here, five themed mooks dressed up like playing card characters, and that's the entire schtick. They don't have super powers, they're not trying to destroy or rule the world, they just want to steal poo poo and be dramatic about it. Yes.

Second, this is the first time in 20 years I've seen the term "Mort" out in the wild, and I love you for using it.

Nodosaur posted:

I'm just sick of films doing Year One/TDKR homages.

I don't want them treading the exact same ground that we've had in the comics again, but I personally like the idea of seeing Batman starting out and not being the "best" member of the Justice League every time. Show me him a a not great detective. Let me see him test stuff out and it fails or he fails, just a little bit. He throws a batarang and misses, but the bad guy is so freaked out he just gives up anyway. That's a possibility for a laugh right there.

The best pitch I heard in a long time was to have him investigating a series of tech robberies being done by the Terrible Trio. It's simple, it's low stakes, and it's something that you could see early Batman handling.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Codependent Poster posted:

Just straight up making the Riddler the Zodiac feels kind of lazy.
Seems like he's not just gonna be a serial killer taunting the police with cyphers but instead he's gonna be trying to point batman at some larger mystery/conspiracy/villain with his targeted revenge killings.

Parkingtigers posted:

That Riddler is some Ned Flanders S&M nonsense.
"Ned Flanders S&M nonsense" and "trashbag gimp" are now my favorite names for this riddler, thank you

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

My guess is that he's going to be trying to get revenge on Bruce for something his parents did

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

My guess is that he's going to be trying to get revenge on Bruce for something his parents did

So you're saying that this time...
It's personal!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am on record as preferring Not Super Grim Serious Batman but I can promise you the moment the first announcement was made people would start talking about it being the Marvelification of Batman.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Or a return to the Joel Schumacher Batman movies.

I'd like to see something less intense for Batman too but the new one has me interested. I wonder how the Ben Affleck movie with Deathstroke would have been like too. Could have gone either way.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 10, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

And why doesn’t Batman dance anymore!?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
he hasn't been in the mood since amex took away his batcard

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I mean I'm excited for The Batman because Matt Reeves is an awesome director

Yes. His two Apes films are THE best blockbusters of the last decade, outshining any superhero film by a significant margin. I am very excited for this.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have one question

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

it's like a muted version of Oscar the Grouch

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It's the glasses on top of the mask that I can't take seriously.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Parkingtigers posted:

It's the glasses on top of the mask that I can't take seriously.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
sometimes I remember that an actual guy who murdered actual people dressed dumber than any fictional supervillain

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

sometimes I remember that an actual guy who murdered actual people dressed dumber than any fictional supervillain

There is an actual cult of super evil racist murderers who dress like doofy supervillain goons and give themselves titles like Grand Wizard.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
stop muckin around with "the Riddler (???) cares about Batman's parents" and just make a movie with Hush and the Court of Owls

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mameluke posted:

stop muckin around with "the Riddler (???) cares about Batman's parents" and just make a movie with Hush and the Court of Owls

One of those is more marketable than the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I would kill for a Batfamily movie that's just Batman and a rainbow of costumed sidekicks flipping around all over the place.