Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pookah posted:

Speaking as a nonUS person, your generalised media circus is a car crash, plus at least half your politicians are INSANE by international standards.

I'm not kidding, many of your mainstream politicians are 100% off the wall crazy by international standards, they are demented, they are 100% ready to be committed because their mental state is hosed.

You are run by lunatics.
The best thing is that in many places, the crazies are working on changing election rules to ensure that the crazies can never be voted out! lol!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pookah posted:

Lads, I'm not laughing, I know the majority of SA posters are decent, clever people. It's insane that you are represented by lunatics and I am very sorry that this is the case.
You chaps who think this state of affairs is funny - grow up and stop being being so tediously contrarian.
You are impressing no-one.
Your facial hair is embarrassing too.

They don't really think it's funny. It's just that it is SO. hosed. UP. and we've found that there is nothing we can do about it that we just sort of give up. We're dead inside.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pookah posted:

Lads, I'm not laughing, I know the majority of SA posters are decent, clever people. It's insane that you are represented by lunatics and I am very sorry that this is the case.
You chaps who think this state of affairs is funny - grow up and stop being being so tediously contrarian.

You have to laugh at it after a certain point or else the depression will crush you

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

If you really want a solid lol moment, remember that in 2015 a republican governor tried to impose a strict quarantine on anyone returning to the US who was exposed to ebola. A nurse sued because she didn't want to have to isolate, and Dr. Fauci was on her side.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/10/22/450908372/new-jersey-governor-facing-lawsuit-from-quarantined-nurse

quote:

But Fauci disagreed, saying that there are other options besides a plan that he called 'a little bit draconian' in an interview on Meet the Press.

"'The best way to protect us is to stop the epidemic in Africa, and we need those health care workers so we do not want to put them in a position where it makes it very, very uncomfortable for them to even volunteer to go,' Fauci says, according to the AP."

So back then, when the number of healthcare workers who were temporarily unable to work was several orders of magnitude smaller than we are facing now with covid19, Fauci thought quarantine was too disruptive and uncomfortable to tolerate for a disease that was about 50x deadlier.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ginette Reno posted:

You have to laugh at it after a certain point or else the depression will crush you

oops thought this was the trump lol thread.

No Covid19 is not legitimately really funny and you do not gotta hand it to it.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Pookah posted:

It's this:

Pennywise the Frown posted:

They don't really think it's funny. It's just that it is SO. hosed. UP. and we've found that there is nothing we can do about it that we just sort of give up. We're dead inside.

And this:

Ginette Reno posted:

It's incredibly hosed up and the powers that be are so entrenched that social and political change is incremental at best. Especially in the face of a deadly pandemic. Laughing at it is a way of dealing with the existential dread.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

:haw:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

https://twitter.com/papapishu/status/746803108949409793

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pookah posted:

Speaking as a nonUS person, your generalised media circus is a car crash, plus at least half your politicians are INSANE by international standards.

I'm not kidding, many of your mainstream politicians are 100% off the wall crazy by international standards, they are demented, they are 100% ready to be committed because their mental state is hosed.

You are run by lunatics.

Actually everything is going great over here.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:hmmyes:

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I'm assuming all the 'preppers' who planned for everything, never considered they'd feel obliged to insist the very thing they'd been waiting for was infact not real when it did actually happen.

I kinda want zombies to happen now just to watch the chuds insist they aren't real as they are getting bitten.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I, for one, am excited about the new jobs the zombies will bring

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

yook posted:

I disagree with that, especially when the 1/6 anniversary just happened. There's politicians that clearly thought the lead up to that was going to be procedural bullshit showboating up until the riot happened and their lives were threatened. Less than a year later and we're already back to pretending this poo poo is politics as usual and decorum and grift will rule the day. The GOP members sincerely angry and outspoken after that lasted, what, like less than a month before folding again? To the extent they actually respond to civil unrest, it'll be to appease the crazies, just like they're already doing right now.

[img-this is fine dog.gif]

1/6 not a big deal, get over it. Some weirdos got together and walked in to places they weren’t allowed, not omg 911!!

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Baconroll posted:

I'm assuming all the 'preppers' who planned for everything, never considered they'd feel obliged to insist the very thing they'd been waiting for was infact not real when it did actually happen.

I kinda want zombies to happen now just to watch the chuds insist they aren't real as they are getting bitten.

I think a lot of those preppers are psychos and would love a reason to go out and shoot up their neighbors.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Salt Fish posted:

Actually everything is going great over here.

Great relatively anyway. Better than borat land right now for surez

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Tnuctip posted:

1/6 not a big deal, get over it. Some weirdos got together and walked in to places they weren’t allowed, not omg 911!!

:yeah:

and furthermore, attempted murder shouldn't be a crime. if someone stops you, then what's the big deal?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Funky See Funky Do posted:

oops thought this was the trump lol thread.

No Covid19 is not legitimately really funny and you do not gotta hand it to it.

Covid19 isn't funny but the people's inaction to it is genuinely tragicomic funny

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Bad Purchase posted:

:yeah:

and furthermore, attempted murder shouldn't be a crime. if someone stops you, then what's the big deal?

It was a riot, broke some laws about that, but it certainly wasn’t a huge coup overthrow of congress and establishing a new government. People got bored and wandered off after stealing stuff, that’s not a revolution or a coup.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Tnuctip posted:

It was a riot, broke some laws about that, but it certainly wasn’t a huge coup overthrow of congress and establishing a new government. People got bored and wandered off after stealing stuff, that’s not a revolution or a coup.

I honestly haven't been following the investigations, is that what's been borne out through them?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Tnuctip posted:

lol, yeah, they certainly weren't attempting to stop the certification of an election, the timing was an unfortunate coincidence of their otherwise unrelated "stop the steal" sightseeing convention

e: this is also the wrong thread for talking about the coup, you should take your views into the gbs trump thread and present them there

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

A Strange Aeon posted:

I honestly haven't been following the investigations, is that what's been borne out through them?

That poster is literally talking out of their rear end. Even if 90% of the wandering jackholes weren't "in on it", it was an attempted coup. It was set in motion to undermine democracy and steal an election in favor of that election's loser. It was a coup.

Anybody arguing that it wasn't is arguing in bad faith and has an agenda.

Bad Purchase posted:

So back then, when the number of healthcare workers who were temporarily unable to work was several orders of magnitude smaller than we are facing now with covid19, Fauci thought quarantine was too disruptive and uncomfortable to tolerate for a disease that was about 50x deadlier.

Fauci is kind of a dipshit, and it sucks that he's been propped up as some "enemy" of the rightwing or "bastion of truth and goodness" by the left. He's neither one, he's just another neoliberal stooge and the CDC operates entirely under the guidance of whatever corporate powers pay them. I was done with Fauci and the CDC after this whole "just go back to work if you're sick!" bullshit. gently caress all of them.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 9, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

King Vidiot posted:

Fauci is kind of a dipshit, and it sucks that he's been propped up as some "enemy" of the rightwing or "bastion of truth and goodness" by the left. He's neither one, he's just another neoliberal stooge and the CDC operates entirely under the guidance of whatever corporate powers pay them. I was done with Fauci and the CDC after this whole "just go back to work if you're sick!" bullshit. gently caress all of them.

Hey now, he also set himself up as the bastion of The Science :v:
https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/1402696181185224707

Also it's not quite accurate to say that he's been set up as a "bastion of truth and goodness" by "the left" because a LOT of leftists have distrusted him all along. Centrists/liberals mostly love him but they're not "the left".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Sorry, I guess I meant "left of center-right" but misspoke. The actual left don't actually like the guy :shrug:

I admit that, at least at the start I half-heartedly liked the guy only because the right hated him so much. But he was the same guy who told everybody that "masks don't work" and then flip-flopped immediately afterwards.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Bad Purchase posted:

lol, yeah, they certainly weren't attempting to stop the certification of an election, the timing was an unfortunate coincidence of their otherwise unrelated "stop the steal" sightseeing convention

e: this is also the wrong thread for talking about the coup, you should take your views into the gbs trump thread and present them there

You’re right I probably shouldn’t bring it up out of the blue instead of quoting someone.

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin
So is there anything to be hopeful about this year or no? Is it going to be another year of dread?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Crass Casualty posted:

So is there anything to be hopeful about this year or no? Is it going to be another year of dread?

The COVID pills are being mass produced right now and reports say they are very effective at preventing death. Omicron appears to peak very fast. The doctors in South Africa say the worst is already over. Doctors in USA say it might be another two weeks before it peaks here.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

Crass Casualty posted:

Lol another year that would be nice

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It'll be the least dreadful year of the rest of your life!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Crass Casualty posted:

'Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse' sequel!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pookah posted:

To lol is to live

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
I have a keen eye on the situation and it's going to be bad and continue to be bad but it[s not going to be a big collapse anytime soon like the CSPAM thread thinks........

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The amount of cope from non Americans about their own countries is always amusing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pookah posted:

Lads, I'm not laughing, I know the majority of SA posters are decent, clever people.

Hey if you're going to fakepost please put some more effort into it

Spazzle posted:

The amount of cope from non Americans about their own countries is always amusing.

Us Australians used to be real smug about our successful Zero Covid policies but when our government decided that was too expensive and pivoted to "Open Up And Learn To Live With The Virus' we immediately pissed it all away

We hosed up real bad. :(

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
As an Australian, that graph dealt me some serious psychic damage. Jeeeeeeesus

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Us Australians used to be real smug about our successful Zero Covid policies but when our government decided that was too expensive and pivoted to "Open Up And Learn To Live With The Virus' we immediately pissed it all away

:glomp:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

I love the tiny little bump in August 2020 that people wanted to throw Dan Andrews in jail for

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

As an Australian, that graph dealt me some serious psychic damage. Jeeeeeeesus

Now consider how difficult it is to get a test in Australia atm and how many cases aren't getting recorded and added to that graph .......... :v:

Also you probably don't want to look at this hospitalizations graph

It's not as bad as the cases graph but it's headed in a real bad direction

gay picnic defence posted:

I love the tiny little bump in August 2020 that people wanted to throw Dan Andrews in jail for

It's loving crazy thinking about the months we spent in lockdown where we were only allowed to leave the house for exercise for 1 hour a day and we had a strict curfew at 9pm every night and all those schools and businesses shut down ............ for what now?

naem
May 29, 2011

just add some spike proteins to the bomb

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Now consider how difficult it is to get a test in Australia atm and how many cases aren't getting recorded and added to that graph .......... :v:

Also you probably don't want to look at this hospitalizations graph

It's not as bad as the cases graph but it's headed in a real bad direction

It's loving crazy thinking about the months we spent in lockdown where we were only allowed to leave the house for exercise for 1 hour a day and we had a strict curfew at 9pm every night and all those schools and businesses shut down ............ for what now?

I mean it did avoid the mass death experienced almost every other nation over the last two years, so we’re finally letting it rip on a highly vaccinated population

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
What are you all doing to get exercise right now? My apartment gym is packed. My local gym is packed. By the time I get off work it’s dark and 18 degrees F outside. I’m in a 3rd story apartment so treadmill is out of the question. Im considering picking up an exercise bike and occasionally dragging my fiancé out for pitch dark 20 degree runs. Gym could be ok with n95 but it’s just full of heavy breathing New Years resolution people and makes my skin crawl.

E: Mostly asking about cardiovascular but the weights-oriented responses are helpful too.

Cretin90 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 10, 2022