Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

I have King of the Hill on in the background and I often realize how weird the 90s was with social workers. The social worker is portrayed a wimp and overreaching and almost too strictly adherent to the law?

And I just remember there were plenty of shows in the 90s that demonized social workers as over eager to punish families.

It does have the thing where the social worker who comes to the house is bad but then his boss is shown as reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The Norm Show had good views of social workers which my mother hated because she went to college to become one and he's sentenced to one as community service.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Push El Burrito posted:

The Norm Show had good views of social workers which my mother hated because she went to college to become one and he's sentenced to one as community service.

I knew a guy who said that any man who becomes a social worker is required to turn in his balls, because no real man would take such a job.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think King of the Hill was generally pretty good at giving its characters so much room to breathe that they rarely just become strawmen for some easy political statement. Dunno about the social worker but the whole core of the show is Hank really not living up to any kind of idealized version of a manly American man in the first place.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt said KotH episode literally the pilot episode? of course the first episode ever is going to be meh.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Martman posted:

I think King of the Hill was generally pretty good at giving its characters so much room to breathe that they rarely just become strawmen for some easy political statement. Dunno about the social worker but the whole core of the show is Hank really not living up to any kind of idealized version of a manly American man in the first place.

What, because he's not rich?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hank Hill is a sort of Don Quixote figure, in that he lives his life as if conservative fantasy americana actually exists and he is constantly confronted by the failure of his beliefs as he puts them into action.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

I AM GRANDO posted:

Hank Hill is a sort of Don Quixote figure, in that he lives his life as if conservative fantasy americana actually exists and he is constantly confronted by the failure of his beliefs as he puts them into action.

This is my favorite take

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

isnt said KotH episode literally the pilot episode? of course the first episode ever is going to be meh.

He appears again when Hank accidently hires a drug addict the next season and then everyone asks for an ADA exemption.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

King of the Hill didn't age well because Dale is a tolerable and sympathetic conspiracy nut. These days he'd be full QAnon/Stop The Steal.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Jedit posted:

King of the Hill didn't age well because Dale is a tolerable and sympathetic conspiracy nut. These days he'd be full QAnon/Stop The Steal.

The joke would be that Dale thinks QAnon/Stop The Steal are cons, designed to distract from what's really going on.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think Peggy would fall for the qanon stuff and only realize that Hank is right once her q group pulls out weapons and runs into the capitol. A lot of the appeal is feeling special and a sense that you know more than everyone else.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Bill tases his balls and dies of a heart attack.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bobby was big into Bernie and kind of went weird tankie after the 2020 primary. Connie mostly avoids him since he keeps talking about how Laos betrayed the revolution by cutting off relations with China because of the 1979 attack on Vietnam, which was “not that bad” and “distorted in imperialist historical accounts.”

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Rascar Capac posted:

The joke would be that Dale thinks QAnon/Stop The Steal are cons, designed to distract from what's really going on.

yeah Dale would think anyone who talks about their conspiracy theories on the news is secretly a government plant. He would also be the only dude not to vote for Trump because someone with all that money and hot wives (not as hot as Nancy of course) is on some secret payroll. And he's probably a robot, because no human could have hair that nice.

Boomhauer doesn't talk politics but is secretly Green Party.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Of all the KotH and what each character would vote for, I think the only consistent thing goons say is that Dale is a dumb good boy that wouldnt fall into the latest flavor of stupid.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Dale is a flavor of old school 90s anti-govt cranks who have some pretty extreme beliefs but at their core is an absolute distrust of all government but you still probably wouldn't want to be around.

He's more David Dees then Ben Garrison.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

yeah Dale would think anyone who talks about their conspiracy theories on the news is secretly a government plant. He would also be the only dude not to vote for Trump because someone with all that money and hot wives (not as hot as Nancy of course) is on some secret payroll. And he's probably a robot, because no human could have hair that nice.

Boomhauer doesn't talk politics but is secretly Green Party.

Dale canonically never votes, he just heads to Mexico on Election day and does some shopping and waits to see if the government collapses before deciding whether to come back or not. That part...aged distressingly well, actually.

Boomhauer's a former Texas Ranger on a diability pension, so as a cop he probably voted Trump.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Asterite34 posted:

Dale canonically never votes, he just heads to Mexico on Election day and does some shopping and waits to see if the government collapses before deciding whether to come back or not. That part...aged distressingly well, actually.

yeah current supply chain crazyness means even getting your xmas shopping done on election day/the 1st week of nov is unrealistic.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

pentyne posted:

Dale is a flavor of old school 90s anti-govt cranks who have some pretty extreme beliefs but at their core is an absolute distrust of all government but you still probably wouldn't want to be around.

He's more David Dees then Ben Garrison.

90s anti-government cranks blew up a building in Oklahoma City killing hundreds.

The militia/survivalist movement was pretty scary.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
yea but dale is a cartoon

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean this whole conversation is based around treating him as if he’s not

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

90s anti-government cranks blew up a building in Oklahoma City killing hundreds.

The militia/survivalist movement was pretty scary.

was?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean it was probably 50% feds for a while but then they all moved on to disappearing random Muslims after 2001 so who knows how big the movement is these days. They've probably all moved on to QAnon.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
At least in the first couple seasons, Hank Hill is pretty consistently in the wrong, or at least in an antagonistic sort of role. I remembered the Halloween episode standing out to me at the time because it was the first time Hank was playing the straight man to everybody else overreacting about Halloween being devil worship.

Hank also canonically didn't vote for Bush, so it's hard to imagine that he then voted for Trump, but as has been pointed out, Buck Strickland is a pretty Trumpian figure whom Hank respects.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
W is a religious weirdo who went to an ivy league school to play a Texan. Trump may be from (New York) but he'd just a regular guy and a great businessman. Like Buck. If you had a beer with hom I'd bet he's a regular fella. Probably even drinks Alamo...

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

minor counterpoint: to my mind, a big chunk of Hank Hill’s admiration for Strickland is him casting about emotionally for a father figure who didn’t openly despise him, and Buck in his turn instinctively fastening himself to by far the biggest mark in his office. I don’t know that Hank could overlook the many glaring faults of tmurp without that psychological incentive to look the other way

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1480336410716557316?t=ssZENEbcBnnKTzCaQK0NHA&s=19

Seemed relevant to post here

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I don't think Hank would vote for Trump but would he vote for Cruz? Probably.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Speaking of, Dirty Work was hilarious back in the day but I doubt it’d hold up well now

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

SatansOnion posted:

minor counterpoint: to my mind, a big chunk of Hank Hill’s admiration for Strickland is him casting about emotionally for a father figure who didn’t openly despise him, and Buck in his turn instinctively fastening himself to by far the biggest mark in his office. I don’t know that Hank could overlook the many glaring faults of tmurp without that psychological incentive to look the other way

Trump is very much a replacement father figure for his most ardent fans. gently caress me daddy indeed.

I'd like an episode where Hank gets to meet Trump and Trump is just his completely balls-to-the-walls crazy self while Hank interprets it as him being true "salt of the earth" like his father-in-law.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Speaking of, Dirty Work was hilarious back in the day but I doubt it’d hold up well now

I've watched it a few times over the years but no, it really hasn't held up well at all.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I dig what you’re getting at; I guess what I’m trying to get at is whether the dysfunction between him and Buck Strickland would inoculate him from the brain spiders, as I’d posited, or leave Hank primed for further exploitation. and now I’ve typed it out I’m no longer so sure of my initial assertion

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hank knows what Buck is, he appreciates him as a business man but not as a human. You can see it in the episode where Bobby is Buck's caddy.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

considering how many betrayals and messes Hank has to clean up after for Buck, I doubt he would vote for someone like Trump, or even give him the time of day, really. He may still work for Buck but that's because Hank believes in propane and is a company man through and through. The real question I think then is would he vote for Hillary? I could absolutely see him voting for Biden

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Rochallor posted:

Hank also canonically didn't vote for Bush, so it's hard to imagine that he then voted for Trump

Bush had a limp, dead fish handshake. Trump has a manly, powerful handshake. Hank would appreciate that

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The only way I can conceptualize Hankd voting for Hillary is during the '07 primary.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Speaking of things that aged poorly, how did Judge’s cartoon after King of the Hill fair? The Goode Family, I think it was called

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Hank would have voted for McMullen in 16 but trump in 2020 making his peace with everything about him because “I don’t like the guy but i like his policies”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Gaunab posted:

I don't think Hank would vote for Trump but would he vote for Cruz? Probably.

I remember some election ads where an old Texan dude just made fun of Ted Cruz for like, eating White Castle and not sticking up for his wife, and the entire thing just dripped with open disdain for him.

I feel like Hank would have fit in with those ads quite well.