Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA (family) for telling my brother and SIL that their pregnancy announcement was trashy?

quote:

Not the A-hole

My Family has a 21+ Adult Only Gift Exchange, volunteer only. If you sign up, you have to spend $20 on each person. We have a Google Doc with a list of things people would like, their sizes, and favourite snacks. You follow the list, you spend $20 per person, and we have the exchange after the kids go to sleep.

My SIL Kelsey (34F) and my brother Kyle (30M) both signed up to be on the list. They asked to go last because they had something special they wanted everyone to open together.

Everyone else followed the list and got people something they would like.

Kelsey and Kyle spent $5 per person. It was a sonogram picture in a cheap dollar store frame, a note saying “$35 has been donated to the baby in your name” and a 2XL shirt with puffy paint that said BABY BELLA 2022.

We all said congrats about the baby and talked about if for a bit.

My Dad then said, "Do you want to finish the exchange? This is great news, but we have to be heading home so if you want to get the rest of the presents."

Kelsey said, "That IS the gift."

Kyle got up to use the bathroom and my Dad followed after him. They had an argument in the hallway and Kyle stormed out. Kelsey followed him. My Dad was like, “Everyone can take their gifts back for Kyle and Kelsey, because this is bullshit, and they knew exactly what they were doing.”

A few people did take their gifts back and left. But the rest of us sort of sat there until it calmed down and then went home.

Kyle ended up showing up at my house two days later with a “real” present and apologized. He said it in a very angry tone. “Kelsey has been crying about it for days now, so thank Dad for ruining the surprise.”

He then asked if I liked the gift, and I said no.

He asked why not.

I said well, everyone else got you a real present, with thought put into it. You didn’t even get me a shirt that fit, that was printed professionally, and then spent the majority of the money on yourself. It felt cheap and ruined the spirit of the exchange.

He called me an rear end in a top hat and left.

AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Merry Christmas! Your gift is here inside this Lament Configuration.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

kdrudy posted:

Merry Christmas! Your gift is here inside this Lament Configuration.

We have such sights to show you, as well as a free glass of champagne with each massage.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013
"Still thinking of the 19 year old stepdad trying to ground the 21 year old.."

Please don't leave us hanging on this one !

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Elissimpark posted:

We have such sights to show you, as well as a free glass of champagne with each massage.

Man I could use a massage and a glass of bubbly

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA (family) for telling my brother and SIL that their pregnancy announcement was trashy?

Laughing at the idea of "donating to the baby" aka "just keeping money"

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

quantumwell posted:

"Still thinking of the 19 year old stepdad trying to ground the 21 year old.."

Please don't leave us hanging on this one !

I don't think that I could dig it up, it was from early in the last thread written from the 'step fathers' point of view. The age difference came out in a comment and the whole thing seemed like some kink-play. I don't remember enough keywords to find it though. I searched the old thread and closest I could find was a reference to it in April 2020:

quote:

Almost as fun as “my older stepson won’t call me dad.”

And that context is worth a repost.
AITA for clearing out my ex-boyfriend’s childhood room in the home where he grew up?

quote:

I moved in with my significant other of 2 years after my pay was reduced in February due to everything that’s been happening and it didn’t make financial sense for me to live in my own apartment anymore. My SO asked me to move in with him so I took up his offer. My SO is my ex-bf’s dad, and I’m now living in the home where my ex-bf grew up.

My ex doesn’t visit the house at all. I suggested to my SO that we should move everything out of my ex’s childhood room, let me use it to store some of my stuff, and let me use it as my personal office/lounging room. My SO agreed. So I boxed up everything in my ex-bf’s childhood room and moved them to the garage, including the furniture.

I’ve redecorated the room and made it mine. Before I even moved his things, I emailed my ex about this and told him he should come by and take a look at what he wants to keep and/or sell and/or donate. After not hearing from him for three weeks, today he texts me calling me all sorts of names for clearing out and taking “his” room.

I’m really trying to be sensitive and nice here, but he is making this very difficult with his rage-filled outbursts and texts. My SO and I are giving him a year to clear out his childhood stuff from the garage before I donate everything. Neither my SO nor I feel clearing out his room was inappropriate, but my ex is just melting down in an tantrum-filled rage. Why does my ex feel like he owns his childhood room when he doesn’t even visit? It is very sad and bizarre.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Not that long ago we also had this post:

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for banning my husband's daughter from our house after she gifted him 5 home paternity tests because she thinks our kids are not his?

In which the stepmom's difference in age to the OP really should not be glossed over.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Hughlander posted:

can you link this? Think it was deleted and want to check comments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/s00m68/aita_for_not_opening_a_christmas_present/
looks like the comments are still intact

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

quote:

INFO:

What the actual gently caress.

e: Well I found the buried lede.

Op posted:

The Chris my sister went to Urgent care needing 15 stitches was the last time my parents had him over for a holiday. I went with them to the UC and the doc who saw my sister was livid with my mother when she explained it was a “prank that went too far”.

That was one of the matches that lit the powder keg on my parent’s divorce.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for keeping a big secret from my SIL?

quote:

My daughter and SIL have been struggling to conceive since they married over 5 years ago. My SIL recently asked me for advice, as he’s desperate for children, but this would involve divulging my daughter’s private medical information.

A little context is necessary. I was born in Vietnam, and I was adopted as an infant by a liberal white American couple in the Bay Area, which is also where I went to school. In college, I met and later married a man who had immigrated from Vietnam with his family when he was a young child.

Our first and only child was assigned male at birth, but she began expressing a strong preference for being a girl as a young child. My husband was not supportive, but he sadly passed away from cancer when my daughter was 10 years old. We were devasted, but after his death my daughter reasserted her desire to be a girl. She was insistent, and I realized she was telling the truth, and I thus allowed her to socially transition at the start of middle school.

We were very fortunate in many respects. My daughter’s middle school was very supportive, and my job and my healthcare allowed us to begin my daughter’s medical transition before she ever started male puberty. I have never regretted this decision. My daughter flourished, and I watched her blossom into an attractive and vivacious young woman. The day after she graduated high school, we flew to Thailand for her sex confirmation surgery as well as a few other procedures. Once again, we were very lucky. She healed beautifully (her surgeon’s words), with little-to-no scarring, and she has always followed her post-operative care instructions to the last letter.

My daughter went to an excellent state university in the Midwest, and during her sophomore year I noticed a dramatic change in her life. She converted to Christianity (we had never been religious) and joined a campus ministry. I later found out why. She introduced me to her boyfriend, a tall midwestern boy who was homeschooled in a very religious evangelical family. He’s a handsome guy you could describe as “All American.” I found him rather goofy, but he loves my daughter dearly and that was enough. He still doesn’t know about her transition.

They married after graduating, and my daughter was adamant that her transition was her private medical information—nothing more and nothing her husband or his family needed to know. I’m not close to them, as his parents have said racist remarks to me, and I am sure my daughter has heard even more, as she is the first non-white member of their family. They are ardent-pro lifers and have many children, and they’ve always expected my daughter and SIL to also have a large family.

My daughter and SIL have been trying for children for nearly 5 years now, and of course they’ve been unsuccessful. My daughter’s stance is transition is a chapter that’s over. I’ve told SIL truthfully that I had difficulty conceiving my daughter, but I haven’t said more and I feel guilty. AITA?

Ouuuuch. I am torn between the big red button that says NEVER OUT ANYBODY and the one that says HE NEEDS TO KNOW . In comments, it comes out that (of course) his homeschooling involved no sexual education at all, so he wouldn't ping on "why my wife no periods".

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

That feels like anti trans bait. Trapping the good mid Western Christian boy.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Inceltown posted:

Yeah, I thought that as well. Very creative with the OPs origin story, though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for keeping a big secret from my SIL?

Ouuuuch. I am torn between the big red button that says NEVER OUT ANYBODY and the one that says HE NEEDS TO KNOW . In comments, it comes out that (of course) his homeschooling involved no sexual education at all, so he wouldn't ping on "why my wife no periods".

Inceltown posted:

Yeah there's an out for the daughter which is "I'm infertile. Can't have children of my own" and it's unclear why she wouldn't just take that route rather than go through a 5 year charade of pretending to try to concieve.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Inceltown posted:

it really does.

AITA for telling my wife to STHU because of the remark she made towards my 16yo sister?

quote:

My M28 sister F16 was diagnosed with cancer in 2021 and treatment has been hard on her, she's the shy type and can be incredibly insecure and lack confidence about her looks. Any remark, nomatter how small would get to her and affect her right away.

It's a while since I've seen her and the other day I was facetiming her and my parents to check on her. My wife joined us and sat next to me without taking her eyes off my sister. Note my wife is a makeup artist and tends to make plenty of assumptions about other women's faces which isn't a cool thing. But anyway, my wife started talking to my sister about wether or not she started caring for her skin and my sister said she recently started a "clean&clear" lotion to improve her look but my wife chuckled and said that clearly, this product isn't working because she (my sister) still looked like a cancer patient even though she's recovered. I was stunned and so were my parents, my sister immediately got up and left the room. I looked aty wife and told her what she said was messed up and she should STHU with her nonsense remarks because she just insulted and hurt my sister. She started back paddeling saying she was just giving her opinion and the fight started. My parents hung up and my wife flipped out saying I humiliated her by telling her to STHU infrony of my parents and claimed I had no respect for her to speak to her like that. I told her what she said made my sister cry knowing that she's been through hell and can be very insecure about her self image but my wife argued that she's being too sensitive and she was again...just giving her opinion and giving her advice in terms of skincare.

I stormed off leaving her yelling about what an rear end in a top hat I was to speak to her this way and ruin the respect my parents had for her. AITA?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, there'd probably be follow-up questions, suggestions for fertility treatment, maybe a visit to a midwestern family doctor or even a snooping cousin illegally accessing her medical information; I can see why she'd take zero chances when it comes to her insane chud family.

Not marrying into an insane chud family in the first place would be the good call here, and I don't see an out at this point that isn't divorce without either seriously jeopardizing her own safety or lying to her husband for the rest of his life.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm not an authority on the topic but "begin my daughter’s medical transition before she ever started male puberty" raised a red flag as well. As I understand it, the most that any doctor will do for a child is puberty blockers until legal adulthood.

"The day after she graduated high school, we flew to Thailand for her sex confirmation surgery" Yeah, the timeline here is troublesome.

This is just what I've picked up from hearing people who have lived experiences transitioning so I could easily be wrong, but I don't think so.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

and let's say daughter married at 20, and has been trying for a kid for 5 years. you're telling me she got that treatment as a minor in 2006? really

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Naming Thailand specifically feels like a dogwhistle too.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for paying for my dogs surgery but not my mothers?

quote:

I (f23) was raised by 2 parents who believe that being a parent ends once the child turns 18. The moment I turned 18 I was forced to pay rent and for all other costs associated with my survival if you will. I ended up moving out until I graduated high school and moved in my college dorm. Me and my parents have monthly contact but nothing deep or below surface level.

My mother has a mass that needs to be removed and I believe is cancerous. My parents have good health insurance but will still have significant out of pocket costs. My father called me and told me that they needed help with money, the whole 'she's your mother and would do the same for you' talk. I did want to help but told him that I didn't have the money readily available, only in my savings so I didn't end up contributing and they got a loan I believe.

Last week, my dog needed surgery to remove a foreign body she swallowed. It happened so fast I ended up using a large chunk of my savings to pay for it. My father found out and called me awful names, and said I'd rather my mother die/be in debt and put an animals life over my own mother. I didn't agree and have been ignoring his calls since, but other family members are messaging me because they think I don't care it my mother lives or dies.

mum can get a loan, the dog can't

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'm not an authority on the topic but "begin my daughter’s medical transition before she ever started male puberty" raised a red flag as well. As I understand it, the most that any doctor will do for a child is puberty blockers until legal adulthood.

That's not true. If they already have a documented history of dysphoria there's not really a reason to wait. Puberty blockers are to give time for the assessment to take place. Though, you don't get to entirely skip natal puberty, as the standard is to wait until tanner stage 2 before intervention.

I would also consider starting blockers young enough and going on to hrt to be medically transitioning without experiencing male puberty.

Surgery is the thing that has an age limit associated with it, but exceptions can be made in cases of extreme distress.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

Yeah I was gonna post this one but it felt way too....perfect in that bad way.

Also kept reading SIL as sister in law not son in law so it was hard to keep track in my head.

Here's a cleanser.

AITA for considering my husband's bathroom time to be part of his free time?

quote:

So my husband has really bad IBS, has had it his whole life, we've gone to docs and stuff but things don't seem to work. He spends at least 3 hours a day pooping (he's not doing other stuff of this I'm sure). We both work full time jobs and recently got in a fight about how he doesn't feel like he has time for housework and chores. I pointed out that if he didn't spend 3 hours in the bathroom he would have time for both the chores and whatever hobbies he wanted to do but he got mad and said he shouldn't be penalized with his free time because of a medical condition. I told him I was at least doing hoursore of stuff than him per week because he never had any time after work to do them with his extra breaks. I may be the AH in this situation because I think he should not get the same amount of "freetime". I understand medical conditions (I have the opposite IBS and only go twice a week which is great cause I'm not wasting any bathroom time :P) but I feel like the time he should put the chores/being an adult first over his fun time even though there may be fewer hours in the day due to the bathroom breaks.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
"All American" is one of the most overt white supremacist ornaments that still sits around openly in Americana and I loving hate it.
Like "golly nothing is more American than blonde blue eyed northwestern protestant ancestry that really shines out!".
That's the red flag for me right there.

Mx. posted:

it really does.

AITA for telling my wife to STHU because of the remark she made towards my 16yo sister?

Meanwhile gently caress this lady so hard.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mx. posted:

AITA for paying for my dogs surgery but not my mothers?

mum can get a loan, the dog can't

Even if their parents hadn't forced the kid to become their tenant instead of part of their household, I'd still say "nah pay for the dog."

Mx. posted:

This is one of those people who could go on chemo themselves and still not understand why they were being a piece of poo poo. Some people straight up lack the part of the brain that recognizes other people as "real."

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

quote:

I pointed out that if he didn't spend 3 hours in the bathroom he would have time for both the chores and whatever hobbies he wanted to do

If there's one thing people with IBS are known for, it's having control over how much time they spend making GBS threads :rolleyes:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Yeah I was gonna post this one but it felt way too....perfect in that bad way.

Also kept reading SIL as sister in law not son in law so it was hard to keep track in my head.

Here's a cleanser.

OP stores her poo poo like a camel?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Also lmao yeah she should get that checked out, pretty sure twice a week is not normal (then again I have Crohn's so my definition of "normal amounts of making GBS threads" may be skewed)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Also lmao yeah she should get that checked out, pretty sure twice a week is not normal (then again I have Crohn's so my definition of "normal amounts of making GBS threads" may be skewed)

3 times a day to once every 3 days is the healthy range. So twice a week is probably ok.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hey, do it properly.
I edited nudes sent to me by a friend

I think this one's actually wholesome.

Gods, this reminds me of a time in highschool.

A girl I had a crush on made me a mix CD and gave it to me with a handmade card. I actually had no CD player at all, beyond the big one belonging to my parents and on the family computer in the living room. I was not gonna let my dad hear me listening to Ani Difranco and other such Lilith Fair sort of things because I was a teenage boy and needed to present a solid front of proper straight masculinity. She was actually aware I didn't even have a CD player and just told me to use it on my computer when I'm alone and thinking of her. Not having a chance to put it on for a few days, I put it in my desk and kind of forgot about it.

The next week at school the girl asks me what I thought of the CD. I just said how it was 'pretty cool, but not my usual sort of thing'. She seemed kind of put-off, and from then on stopped flirting with me. Her friends all kind of froze me out and gave me looks for awhile, and we basically stopped hanging out. It wasn't until a few years later after graduation when I was desperately rummaging for re-writeable CDs I found it and popped it in, and it was full of nudes of her holding hand-made signs asking me out. I was told much later by her friends that she had a crush on me for ages and this was her final last effort to get through to my dense idiot teenage brain, and even still I totally missed it. Even now 20 years later I still sometimes cringe thinking of how much of a moron I was (am).

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
That's some super weird poo poo to do if it makes you feel any better.

icecastle
Jun 9, 2008
Tylenol is one of the safest drugs there is if taken as directed. A patient with cirrhosis can easily tolerate 1g a day.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mr. Grapes! posted:

CD of nudes

That's some weird poo poo to do for sure but god drat lmao that poor girl

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

The Maroon Hawk posted:

That's some weird poo poo to do for sure but god drat lmao that poor girl

Also a good thing Mr. Grapes didn't hand that CD off to anyone - "eh I don't want this music, here you have it X" and suddenly someone has their hands on (underage?) high schooler nudes, that'd have been a very difficult situation to explain

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Propaniac posted:

AITA for not opening a Christmas Present?

:tizzy:

my doctor told me to watch my blood pressure so I think I need to stop reading this thread. holy gently caress some people are lowlifes

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

also how is the plural of lowlife not "lowlives?" Did whoever designed the English language put this in specifically to grind my gears?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nobody designed the English language, that’s the problem

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for putting up pictures of spiders in my room to keep my arachnophobic cousins out?

quote:

My (17f) twin cousins (8m) have been staying with us for the last week while their parents are getting their house renovated. They’re insanely mischievous. They keep running into my room, upending everything, throwing all my stuff everywhere, trying different passwords to unlock my desktop. If I latch the door, they’ll bang at it until I let them in. Every time I or their parents yell at them, they get more amused. I discovered they’re both arachnophobic. So I printed out massive spider posters for each of my walls, my floor, cupboard, the side of my bed and my door. Now they cry every time they see them and can’t enter the room without looking at one. I removed the one from my door when their parents complained but I’m keeping the ones in my room up to keep them out. Their parents are ok with that but the boys keep begging me to get rid of them and my own parents are telling me I’m being cruel.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mx. posted:

AITA for putting up pictures of spiders in my room to keep my arachnophobic cousins out?

that's badass lmao

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Take down posters. Replace with actual huntsmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Gods, this reminds me of a time in highschool.

A girl I had a crush on made me a mix CD and gave it to me with a handmade card. I actually had no CD player at all, beyond the big one belonging to my parents and on the family computer in the living room. I was not gonna let my dad hear me listening to Ani Difranco and other such Lilith Fair sort of things because I was a teenage boy and needed to present a solid front of proper straight masculinity. She was actually aware I didn't even have a CD player and just told me to use it on my computer when I'm alone and thinking of her. Not having a chance to put it on for a few days, I put it in my desk and kind of forgot about it.

The next week at school the girl asks me what I thought of the CD. I just said how it was 'pretty cool, but not my usual sort of thing'. She seemed kind of put-off, and from then on stopped flirting with me. Her friends all kind of froze me out and gave me looks for awhile, and we basically stopped hanging out. It wasn't until a few years later after graduation when I was desperately rummaging for re-writeable CDs I found it and popped it in, and it was full of nudes of her holding hand-made signs asking me out. I was told much later by her friends that she had a crush on me for ages and this was her final last effort to get through to my dense idiot teenage brain, and even still I totally missed it. Even now 20 years later I still sometimes cringe thinking of how much of a moron I was (am).

lmfao like yeah you should have played it but to be real-- that's a super dumb and insane thing to do to ask someone out.

The Lone Badger posted:

Take down posters. Replace with actual huntsmen.

Take down posters, have spring traps with fake huntsmen. Tell them that the next time they gently caress with your poo poo it'll be a real one. Use as an excuse to buy a pet Tarantula.