Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

If you want a nice replacement for that wheel (assuming you still have the GT wheel somewhere), give https://acelith.com/ a look. Way better than that questionable F1 replacement TM offers, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
FedEx has been driving my new 8020 rig around my town “out for delivery” every day since the 26th. No one in my family cares and I just wanted to complain to someone who might empathize a little. That is all.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zosologist posted:

FedEx has been driving my new 8020 rig around my town “out for delivery” every day since the 26th. No one in my family cares and I just wanted to complain to someone who might empathize a little. That is all.

Have you called them about it? I can't imagine it would be pointless.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Have you called them about it? I can't imagine it would be pointless.

We had a couple inches of snow in the Pacific Northwest and everyone lost their mind. Delivery services are swamped with late holiday stuff because of it, and FedEx is terrible at the best of times here. but yeah I’m gonna give them a call tomorrow morning if nothing shows today.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Essobie posted:

If you want a nice replacement for that wheel (assuming you still have the GT wheel somewhere), give https://acelith.com/ a look. Way better than that questionable F1 replacement TM offers, imo.

I mean. It’s only as good as the gt wheel that underpins it, and the F1 wheel is already better than that from a button and layout standpoint imo

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
FedEx thinks they might have lost half my rig. I only found this out because they said they couldn’t deliver the other of the two packages as there was no one here to sign for it, which was a lie because I was literally sitting next to the door. So I called and now I have an investigation into lost package. Apparently all the tracking info and delivery updates I’ve been getting for that package for the last 4 days are a lie.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zosologist posted:

FedEx thinks they might have lost half my rig. I only found this out because they said they couldn’t deliver the other of the two packages as there was no one here to sign for it, which was a lie because I was literally sitting next to the door. So I called and now I have an investigation into lost package. Apparently all the tracking info and delivery updates I’ve been getting for that package for the last 4 days are a lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ABjs0dFD8

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

FedEx Express, like the 2-day-or-faster stuff, is actually really good. FedEx Ground, on the other hand, is contracted out and is a loving joke as a result. They have their poo poo together for the actual express stuff, but their contractors are so hit-or-miss with the rest that it's completely worthless.

By the same token, it snowed in SW Virginia yesterday. USPS and FedEx both bailed out scheduled deliveries I had, but UPS dutifully trundled up my 700 foot gravel driveway and dropped off like 8 boxes without complaint, so good for them at least.

More related to the thread, I'm finally working on getting my sim rig set up after a cross country move, and god drat are there so many cables. These pictures are before any management attempts and before replacing with a single larger power strip that fits all 10 plugs, and they're still lacking the 5.1 speakers because I decided those cables would just be too many to try to add before any management. As it is, I have 2 USB hubs with something like 15 USB cables for all this crap. I'm never moving again.

Happily my wife loves cable management for whatever reason, so it'll end up pretty nice I think.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Everytime I do cable management I regret it when I change out some hardware for something new, so I just no longer bother, and I just embrace my „Cthulhu cooperating with HR Giger“-looking simrig/PC workstation/TV place.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

tuo posted:

Everytime I do cable management I regret it when I change out some hardware for something new, so I just no longer bother, and I just embrace my „Cthulhu cooperating with HR Giger“-looking simrig/PC workstation/TV place.

I'd probably care a little less if we didn't have 3 cats that shed like crazy, and having cable tangles like that is just a magnet for cat hair swarms. It's way easier to clean with the cables managed at least in some fashion.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

shortspecialbus posted:

I'd probably care a little less if we didn't have 3 cats that shed like crazy, and having cable tangles like that is just a magnet for cat hair swarms. It's way easier to clean with the cables managed at least in some fashion.

Yeah, I also have a cat. That‘s when it slowly turns into a Beksinski-artwork.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

Happily my wife loves cable management for whatever reason, so it'll end up pretty nice I think.

I now live in fear. :( Looking forward to seeing this once it's all finished and cleaned up.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I now live in fear. :( Looking forward to seeing this once it's all finished and cleaned up.

It actually looks significantly better in person than it does in the photos now:

My drum set is going between the computer desk and the sim rig (you can see that fat cable wrap going off with the 3 DP and 1 USB cable) which means that from places people would normally be in the room, it'll look pretty good. And honestly there's only so much you can do with this many power and USB cables/hubs all over the place.

By my count, there's 2 USB hubs, 14 USB cables to various peripherals (not counting the one from the PC to the primary hub), 3 fat DP cables, 10 power cables of various types, 5 speaker cables to the logitech subwoofer for the 5.1 setup, the 3 cables from the USB sound card to that subwoofer, another USB sound card with cables to the two bass shaker amps, and then the bass shaker cords themselves.

Lots and lots of cables.

There will also be a USB power cable for the iPad display that I use as a secondary dash that's not up yet, plus a corded xbox one cable, and a USB power cable for the logitech wireless keyboard/mouse doodad.

Edit: also the Turn Racing wheel cable since it's different pinning than the Ascher cable :(

Edit 2: Oh, and the SC2 emergency shutoff button and cable that's anchored by the pedals kinda.

ssb fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 9, 2022

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

GutBomb posted:

Here's something I've been working on for Assetto Corsa. Almost ready for release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbg5UBPAzLg

Sooooo ya wouldn't happen to have this available would ya?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

GutBomb posted:

Here's something I've been working on for Assetto Corsa. Almost ready for release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbg5UBPAzLg
Just needs the random lag spikes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEeZq-4D-nU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ieatsoap6 posted:

Sooooo ya wouldn't happen to have this available would ya?

Oh yeah I forgot to put the link here

https://www.mediafire.com/file/oly0ailchp4nnxm/anon_camino.7z/file

It pretty much requires custom shaders patch latest version. might work without it but it will look funky.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

GutBomb posted:

Oh yeah I forgot to put the link here

https://www.mediafire.com/file/oly0ailchp4nnxm/anon_camino.7z/file

It pretty much requires custom shaders patch latest version. might work without it but it will look funky.

Awesome, thanks! It runs great and is really well done! Lookin' forward to blasting around the track a good bit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

It actually looks significantly better in person than it does in the photos now:

My dream sim racing setup is basically this, but with just one monitor, because I would use VR instead.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I said come in! posted:

My dream sim racing setup is basically this, but with just one monitor, because I would use VR instead.

I have VR and I like it in a lot of ways, but I can't wear it for more than about half an hour without getting sweaty and uncomfortable, plus it doesn't work super great with my astigmatism. Triples are where it's at for me for the foreseeable future.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Y’all need to play elite dangerous and make some wild 50 jump trip in VR so the headset becomes one with your face.

Either that or do a 24 hour race solo

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry sorry last one I promise

posting cats never needs to be apologized for no matter the context

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A small desk fan pointed at the headset/your face does wonders for seated VR, as well.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

A little plastic gear split in my Fanatec CSR (xbox 360 compatible) steering wheel. This thing is long out of support so I'm trying to track down another gear online but I'm having a heck of a time knowing the proper way to size this thing. I know that two gears that came in are wrong size.

Here are pictures of the gear. https://imgur.com/gallery/hON2VYZ
-It has 16 teeth
-3mm bore
-Diameter of 10.75 mm or 27/64 inches
-The hub is 6 mm wide and width of the gear is 5.8 mm

I don't know pressure angle, pitch or module. I ordered this one: https://export.rsdelivers.com/product/rs-pro/ds05-16b/rs-pro-pom-16-teeth-spur-gear-05-module-3mm-bore/5217001 but it's too small. Anyone here might be able to help?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Coredump posted:

A little plastic gear split in my Fanatec CSR (xbox 360 compatible) steering wheel. This thing is long out of support so I'm trying to track down another gear online but I'm having a heck of a time knowing the proper way to size this thing. I know that two gears that came in are wrong size.

Here are pictures of the gear. https://imgur.com/gallery/hON2VYZ
-It has 16 teeth
-3mm bore
-Diameter of 10.75 mm or 27/64 inches
-The hub is 6 mm wide and width of the gear is 5.8 mm

I don't know pressure angle, pitch or module. I ordered this one: https://export.rsdelivers.com/product/rs-pro/ds05-16b/rs-pro-pom-16-teeth-spur-gear-05-module-3mm-bore/5217001 but it's too small. Anyone here might be able to help?

You will need to take proper measurements. Here is the nomenclature:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

osker posted:

You will need to take proper measurements. Here is the nomenclature:

*throws up hands in complete bewilderment*

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'd email fanatec and just see if they can help you. Costs nothing to try and they might be able to point you in the right direction, or straight up give you the appropriate spec.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
That or post on the forums, there's always some nerd who knows this stuff if it's a common failure part

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wreckfest-havers, I see that the game is rated Teen, can anyone who has the game elaborate?

I’m asking because I have a 6 year old who loves smashing cars and trucks together and crashing Lego trucks and stuff like that

I wouldn’t normally get him a Teen rated game, so I’m wondering if it’s violent or bloody or whatever? If it’s just song lyrics, I’m thinking I can turn down the music and be ok

As a kid who grew up absolutely adoring Destruction Derby, I get where he’s coming from

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's cartoon violence, drivers will sometimes get shot out of wrecked cars and ragdoll on the track as everyone else runs over them but I don't think there's any blood.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

quote:

This is a demolition-derby-themed racing game in which players compete in no-rules racing action and events. Players drive a variety of vehicles (e.g., lawnmowers, crop harvesters, school buses, three-wheelers) around tracks and arenas, slamming into opponents to cause car damage and to perform takedowns of opponents' vehicles. Players are rewarded for crashes, spin outs, and extra damage inflicted on vehicles. Takedowns can cause drivers to be hurled from their vehicles and thrown into the air (i.e., ragdoll physics); human bodies sometimes remain on racetracks and arena floors, as vehicles drive over them. Song lyrics contain brief allusions to drugs (e.g., "...live high for a while/Indulging in synthetic opulence"; "No way out. You're a drug. Someone help.") and violence ("Lay a finger on my friend and I'll/make your death look like an accident")

So yeah seems fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah that doesn’t seem bad. I’ll watch some YouTube’s of it and if it seems fine, turn him loose smashing up cars

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's too late father i'm indulging in synthetic opulence now

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah it's good.. just stay offline and it's all good, I can't say I've seen anything in teh game that makes me think I wouldnt let a 6yo play it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah that doesn’t seem bad. I’ll watch some YouTube’s of it and if it seems fine, turn him loose smashing up cars

I got it for my son when he was about 8 and it is absolutely 100% fine

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Automobilista got updated today, and has Road America now. Can it please have Road Atlanta though?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Automobilista got updated today, and has Road America now. Can it please have Road Atlanta though?

Oh, man - I need to get that set up. I bought it on Steam forever ago but haven't gotten around to playing it. I grew up 5 minutes from Road America though so that was always one of my favorite tracks. Plus it's a really good track.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Automobilista 2 is good.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
It's gotten pretty good, the one small issue I have with it that the FFB feels kinda mushy(?) midcorner, like there's no bite to the front tires, if that makes sense.

e: Does anyone recommend a custom FFB file for a CSW2?

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 2, 2022

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Installed rF2 again after years of not having it installed, mainly because I wanted to try a couple GPL track mod conversions. So this loving game does not close right when I close it. In fact it closes so not right Steam thinks it's still running even though I can find no process anywhere and I have to actually kill the Steam process to be able to launch another game. One thing you can always count on with rF2 is showing you new and exciting ways to gently caress up. gently caress this piece of poo poo, why did I even bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

GhostDog posted:

Installed rF2 again after years of not having it installed, mainly because I wanted to try a couple GPL track mod conversions. So this loving game does not close right when I close it. In fact it closes so not right Steam thinks it's still running even though I can find no process anywhere and I have to actually kill the Steam process to be able to launch another game. One thing you can always count on with rF2 is showing you new and exciting ways to gently caress up. gently caress this piece of poo poo, why did I even bother.

rF2 is so weird. I love playing around with it, because for me, it's the first of the current-ish batch of PC sims where the FFB makes immediate, intuitive sense to me. In every other one, I spend some time configuring and learning to "read" what the wheel's telling me, but rF2 just gave me an immediate "oh poo poo, wow this feels right" moment where it clicked. It's a shame the game is very much in that realm of "janky re-packaging of commercial sim product as game," much like DCS is for combat flight sims. It does seem more stable than DCS, which is nice, I guess.

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 2, 2022