Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

ChiTownEddie posted:

I just reached the...second part of the finale of CS2.
I'll admit I'm very ready to play something else. I haven't gotten burned out this badly on a Trails game before (Sky 1-3, Zero, CS1).

Yeah, it probably wasn't the smartest idea for Falcom to transition straight from long, exhausting dungeon and climactic series of boss fights straight back into a long dungeon. I also got pretty burned out and stopped playing for two weeks near the end.

For the very final dungeon, I strongly recommend to forgo the impulse to experiment with party configuration and just power through to the end with the party you're most comfortable with, then drop a save outside the final boss room. That way if you want to play around, you're free to do so later, when you're not so burned out. (But before finishing, some dialogue updates happen after the final dungeon unlocks - and if you're playing with a NG+ save file, there's a certain NG+ exclusive scene only available at this point which CS 3 assumes you saw. There's also one final hidden quest.)

MythosDragon posted:

Betwen Black Alberich and Irena, I honestly see Rean killing himself if he gets with Alisa due to tripling up on stress, so like.... yeah that ship got murdered by her family.

If you personally want to think that, that's fine. I will say that I am actually impressed with the mental fortitude Alisa has developed to be able to absorb so many big shocks so closely together without being allowed any time to slow down and process things. She also seems to have given up wasting her time doing things to try and impress her mother, and is instead simply doing things for their own sake.

I'll also note that Rean being told Sharon's story is enough for Irina to consider Rean as no longer an outsider to the Reinford family, and in Alisa's ending specifically, Irina seemed reasonably supportive of their relationship, so I don't really see her trying to make Rean's life hell.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

MythosDragon posted:

Betwen Black Alberich and Irena, I honestly see Rean killing himself if he gets with Alisa due to tripling up on stress, so like.... yeah that ship got murdered by her family.

Not completely, but in CS4 Gwyn does lampshade that joining the Reinford family is not faint of heart.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

There's also one final hidden quest.)

Yeah, you definitely want to do that one, especially if you've been playing all other Trails games up to now, since a later game references back to it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Having just recently (as in like a couple weeks ago) wrapped up the epilogue to CSII which i started around March it somehow manages to have more false endings than CSI. It definitely wore me down towards the end of the finale. Like enjoyed the game and story but my loving goodness was it lengthy even for a JRPG.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Yeah, it probably wasn't the smartest idea for Falcom to transition straight from long, exhausting dungeon and climactic series of boss fights straight back into a long dungeon. I also got pretty burned out and stopped playing for two weeks near the end.

For the very final dungeon, I strongly recommend to forgo the impulse to experiment with party configuration and just power through to the end with the party you're most comfortable with, then drop a save outside the final boss room. That way if you want to play around, you're free to do so later, when you're not so burned out. (But before finishing, some dialogue updates happen after the final dungeon unlocks - and if you're playing with a NG+ save file, there's a certain NG+ exclusive scene only available at this point which CS 3 assumes you saw. There's also one final hidden quest.)

Thanks for the recs, I powered through using who I liked.
A few cool down games and I'll probably start up Azure, since I am excited to finish that series.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
So, in CS4, like in CS2, you can get alternative paint coats for the orbal bike and pretty much all female classmates/supporters have a paint coat that you can buy and apply. Something I didn't pay attention to before is that in addition to the usual illustration on the front of the sidecar and the license plate having the name of the character in question, most girls also get a unique sticker on the back of the sidecar.

- For the girls with noble lineage like Laura and Elise, the sticker depicts their family crest. (the national crest in Alfin's case)

- For Alisa, it's the Reinford company logo.

- For Juna, it's a Mishi sticker.

And what sticker does Towa get? A sticker with her silhouette and the words "Not a child!" on it.

LOL!

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

But that aside...

Black Alberich (Major Cold Steel 3 spoilers from the final chapter)

A reveal three games in the making. It rivals George in terms of long-term setup. And the resolution is still going to need another game. Well done.

I now see even more clearly why Falcom nudges players towards the pairing of Rean and Alisa, as they have much more in common than was clear even after CS 1. It’s quite rare someone can say “My father is evil and is trying to set off the end of the world” and their romantic partner can legitimately respond “I know exactly how you feel.” …I just realized that this means Irina Reinford is actually the MORE LOVING AND AFFECTIONATE of Alisa’s parents. Wow. Not a sentence I expected to say after the first two CS games.

By the way, there's still a slight difference here that makes "I know exactly how you feel" not exactly true.

(CS1...CS3 spoilers)
Alisa's situation is fairly clear-cut. Irina Reinford is the only mom she's ever known and Franz Lughman/Reinford is the only father she's ever known. Throughout the games, Irina's business decisions have always been a heavy emotional burden on Alisa, especially BECAUSE she considers Irina her mother on an emotional level. There's no such emotional element with Rean. All his memories prior to being adopted were erased. While from a rational perspective he sees Giliath Osborne as his father, the emotional charge doesn't seem to be there, VERY much unlike Alisa. Ironically, in order for Rean to know how Alisa really feels, it'd have to be Teo Schwarzer, not Giliath Osborne, steering the world towards an all-encompassing war.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Erpy posted:

By the way, there's still a slight difference here that makes "I know exactly how you feel" not exactly true.

I was being a little tongue-in-cheek. Close enough for horseshoes.

Cold Steel 3 - Final Dungeon
Obviously try not to read this post if you haven't finished CS 3. And also please be courteous and try to avoid plain text replies which give away the context of what's under the spoiler tags (*cough*).

Towa. I understand that Towa is in a bad place and is trying to cling on to hope, but her saying “I can tell when you’re lying, George” is pretty funny since he’s been lying to her since the moment they met, starting with “Hi, my name is George!” I mean, granted, he could be lying; Angie didn’t really need killing, just locking up for a while until Alberich made his reappearance. I do like that George still insists on saying he killed her, and I especially like that her fate remains ambiguous.

Speaking of which, I should note that I don't have a problem with the "ooh, we killed Angie" fake-out, because it did the cut-away, sound effect, don't see a body thing. Her coming back is reasonable. It's killing people or giving them clearly fatal injuries on screen, people seeing the bodies, and then the game/series later going "just kidding, they're alive now" - especially when the game essentially does a :shrug: when people ask "how are you alive?!" That sort of thing does MUCH more to cheapen the emotional impact of deaths than actual deaths do.

I love the final dungeon. It's got a simple design which is also thematic and ties everywhere together. The music track is great too.

First Boss Encounter
It sure is a statement that the first boss encounter is the two strongest known members of Ouroboros at the same time. It was pretty badass that Gaius actually gets a name and title card reveal which is directed to the Ouroboros members. “Power rankings” are pretty loose, but from what I guesstimate, experienced Gralsritter knights and A-Rank Bracers are considered to be about Enforcer-level, while Dominions are generally on the level of an Anguis, so that's approximately in the level of "can force an opening". I do like the gimmick of gradually losing party members as you spiral down.

This might sound hypocritical, since I complained about stalemates but (A) I’m pretty tired of Ouroboros members and other bad guys being completely invulnerable and untouchable. Too much of that and it gets to the point where the players begin to wonder “If they’re all so much stronger than everyone else, why don’t they go and mercilessly wipe out all opposition and take over a country or two and do whatever the gently caress they need for their plan”. (B) It seems like once Rean and co got past them, they largely just changed into “we’ll just settle for holding the rest here.” They sure didn't seem to be interested in fighting when Class VII members were distracted by things happening below.

Second Boss Encounter
Enforcers don’t get to be enforcers without being fundamentally broken people. I guess it shouldn’t be THAT big a surprise that Sharon processed “Mr. Reinford is alive, therefore I must go back to being Kreuger, the Enforcer”. She can’t really. People don’t get to switch off their emotions and pretend the last 10 years didn’t happen and didn’t matter. That didn’t work for Joshua, that won’t work for her.

I’m half-surprised that Sharon’s reveal didn’t shock or anger Alisa… but then again, she already learned “my father isn’t dead” and “my father walked away from our family on purpose”. After that, the reveal of “I tried to kill your father (and thought I succeeded)” is kind-of a moot point.

Something Amazing: Alisa imitating Rean’s famous Valimar-summoning move and teleporting in her own mech was brilliant. It was a complete surprise, yet one which had been foreshadowed repeatedly, multiple times throughout the story. We see her talking to Tio, we see her talking to Tita, we hear her talking about the Fourth Division’s secret projects. Back when I first heard this game had multiple soldats in battles, I thought “well, if anyone in old class VII is going to have their own mech, it’d be the woman who works for the company that builds them”. But actually playing CS 3 and that not happening made me realize that it wasn’t going to, which made this even more effective. Also pretty badass: the impression the "we'll hold them off" cutscene gives is that Sara and Fie have their hands full with the jaegers, so Alisa is taking on the other two largely by herself.

This post is once again too long so I'll stop here.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 24, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Obviously try not to read this post if you haven't finished CS 3. And also please be courteous and try to avoid plain text replies which give away the context of what's under the spoiler tags (*cough*).

Towa. I understand that Towa is in a bad place and is trying to cling on to hope, but her saying “I can tell when you’re lying, George” is pretty funny since he’s been lying to her since the moment they meant, starting with “Hi, my name is George!” I mean, granted, he probably is lying, since Angie didn’t really need killing, just locking up for a while until Alberich made his reappearance. I do like that George still insists on saying he killed her, and I especially like that her fate remains ambiguous.

Technically speaking, he wasn't.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

I was being a little tongue-in-cheek. Close enough for horseshoes.

Towa. I understand that Towa is in a bad place and is trying to cling on to hope, but her saying “I can tell when you’re lying, George” is pretty funny since he’s been lying to her since the moment they meant, starting with “Hi, my name is George!” I mean, granted, he probably is lying, since Angie didn’t really need killing, just locking up for a while until Alberich made his reappearance. I do like that George still insists on saying he killed her, and I especially like that her fate remains ambiguous.

Speaking of which, I should note that I don't have a problem with the "ooh, we killed Angie" fake-out, because it did the cut-away, sound effect, don't see a body thing. Her coming back is reasonable. It's killing people or giving them clearly fatal injuries on screen, people seeing the bodies, and then the game/series later going "just kidding, they're alive now" - especially when the game essentially does a :shrug: when people ask "how are you alive?!" That sort of thing does MUCH more to cheapen the emotional impact of deaths than actual deaths do.

I love the final dungeon. It's got a simple design which is also thematic and ties everywhere together. The music track is great too.

First Boss Encounter
It sure is a statement that the first boss encounter is the two strongest known members of Ouroboros at the same time. It was pretty badass that Gaius actually gets a name and title card reveal which is directed to the Ouroboros members. “Power rankings” are pretty loose, but from what I guesstimate, experienced Gralsritter knights and A-Rank Bracers are considered to be about Enforcer-level, while Dominions are generally on the level of an Anguis, so that's approximately in the level of "can force an opening". I do like the gimmick of gradually losing party members as you spiral down.

This might sound hypocritical, since I complained about stalemates but (A) I’m pretty tired of Ouroboros members and other bad guys being completely invulnerable and untouchable. Too much of that and it gets to the point where the players begin to wonder “If they’re all so much stronger than everyone else, why don’t they go and mercilessly wipe out all opposition and take over a country or two and do whatever the gently caress they need for their plan”. (B) It seems like once Rean and co got past them, they largely just changed into “we’ll just settle for holding the rest here.” They sure didn't seem to be interested in fighting when Class VII members were distracted by things happening below.

Second Boss Encounter
Enforcers don’t get to be enforcers without being fundamentally broken people. I guess it shouldn’t be THAT big a surprise that Sharon processed “Mr. Reinford is alive, therefore I must go back to being Kreuger, the Enforcer”. She can’t really. People don’t get to switch off their emotions and pretend the last 10 years didn’t happen and didn’t matter. That didn’t work for Joshua, that won’t work for her.

I’m half-surprised that Sharon’s reveal didn’t shock or anger Alisa… but then again, she already learned “my father isn’t dead” and “my father walked away from our family on purpose”. After that, the reveal of “I tried to kill your father (and thought I succeeded)” is kind-of a moot point.

Something Amazing: Alisa imitating Rean’s famous Valimar-summoning move and teleporting in her own mech was brilliant. It was a complete surprise, yet one which had been foreshadowed repeatedly, multiple times throughout the story. We see her talking to Tio, we see her talking to Tita, we hear her talking about the Fourth Division’s secret projects. Back when I first heard this game had multiple soldats in battles, I thought “well, if anyone in old class VII is going to have their own mech, it’d be the woman who works for the company that builds them”. But actually playing CS 3 and that not happening made me realize that it wasn’t going to, which made this even more effective. Also pretty badass: the impression the "we'll hold them off" cutscene gives is that Sara and Fie have their hands full with the jaegers, so Alisa is taking on the other two largely by herself.

This post is once again too long so I'll stop here.

It's definitely a step up from the approach taken in CS2's finale and it nicely runs parallel with the increased power of Class VII's members since the last game.

Speaking of Gaius, it's kinda nifty that even though they take their time revealing he's a Dominion now, they already clue you in on his higher power level by massively boosting his crafts. (his first two crafts used to have S and M as range, now they're L and LL and his third craft is the only normal craft in Clas VII with an SS-damage ranking) And then his S-craft where he unleashes his stigma comes out, whose power level is only matched by Ogre Rean's S-craft and just to press the point further it also has the completely unique property of absolute delay, which completely ignores delay resistence, even if the enemy has a big fat 0 next to their AT vulnerability. Power levels can be wonky in Trails, but they did pretty well in making Gaius feel a lot stronger than he used to be.

There's one major difference between the two. Joshua, even though the Hamel incident and Weissmann's conditioning really messed him up, still had his memories and identity of those first 6 years of his life as Joshua Astray to serve as an anchor point. Sharon never had that and didn't even have a name or an identity growing up. Even "Kreuger" was simply an alias that was bestowed upon her for some time and was presumably always meant to be temporary. So Sharon had a much weaker sense of self than Joshua ever had. Of course, people can't really flip a switch and discard emotions and the past on a whim just like that, but Sharon had been "programmed" since birth to discard old identities and assume new ones as assignments came and went and that programming still had a strong effect on her psyche even though the identity of Sharon was the one identity that actually ever meant something to her.

And yeah, that "summon" was pretty awesome. Kudos to Alisa for actually managing to surprise Sharon with it. Sharon was introduced in CS1 as comically perfect at everything (as well as always knowing exactly where Alisa was and what she was doing), which annoyed the competitive Alisa to no end, so her actually keeping Sharon in the dark about something was no small feat. It's pretty endearing that Alisa didn't hide the development of her personal orbal gear from Sharon because she didn't trust her, but simply because it was her way of enacting a friendly sibling rivalry.

By the way, just in case you were confused about the new title, "The Severing Chains" in Japanese is basically "The Severing Eclipse" in Japanese if you cut off a few kanji at the start and the end. Like if Walter had been in Sharon's position and he called himself The Wolf while in service of the Reinfords only to call himself The Direwolf again upon returning to the fold. Falcom never gave XSeed any context for Sharon's nickname, so NISA didn't even bother trying to translate their way around that little wordplay and simply used her new title.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 23, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Actually, I never really considered the implications of that title card thing, and you know what? That's f'n metal.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I just finished Sky 3rd. That was a great end to the series. I was a bit worried about the structure and Kevin as the protagonist, but it all worked well. The structure being so different from the other games was nice because it helped the game work as an epilogue with all the side stories.

I can’t decide if I want to replay CS1 now, or just go to CS2. I think it might be worth it to revisit the story now that I know a bit more about the world, and work on the achievements before moving on to CS2.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Personally I felt that moment with the second boss you two are praising perfectly summed up how I feel about Alisa, since for her big moment in addition to being related to yet another plot important person, the best they could come up with was a palette swap of another character's gimmick.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 28, 2021

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Think I might just be misunderstanding but are you trying to say that being related to important characters is bad?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Justin_Brett posted:

Personally I felt that moment with the second boss you two are praising perfectly summed up how I feel about Alisa, since for her big moment in addition to being related to yet another plot important person, the best they could come up with was a palette swap of another character's gimmick.

You are looking at this a little backwards. It’s not that (very late-game CS 3) Alisa is connected to two important people out of sheer coincidence. The bad guy is by definition an important person to the story. Alisa came into existence as a side consequence of the bad guy’s pursuit of his goals – to get access to all kinds of insider Reinford information.

And in terms of basic storytelling, the audience tends to care more about bad guys and them getting comeuppance/redemption if there’s a connection to something or someone the audience cares about. Protagonists and their friends and allies are the ones the storyteller tries to get the audience to bond with.

It’s also not out of character or unlikely that Alisa would be interested in her own mech. She’s been well-established as having an interest in technology. She also has an interest in Rean (regardless of whether he has an interest in her) and getting inside his head, so of course she’d want to try and strengthen that connection. That’s much like how (Sky the 3rd)Tita got the idea for the original Orbal Gear stuff because she wanted to strengthen her connection with Renne. It’s not like Cold Steel 3 tried to pretend that the idea was all Alisa’s, she specifically said she was working with Tio and Tita.

Those connections make sense as well. Class VII has general goal of trying to quietly find allies and connections to draw on for the day confrontation becomes inevitable. Even without that aspect, Alisa has a personal goal of running Reinford better – so she’d be likely to look for skilled and intelligent people who her mother hasn’t already got under her thumb, and outside of Erebonia is a good place to look.

It’s a logical result from connecting all those things established over three different story arcs, and isn’t connecting disparate threads together like that the strength of the Trails series?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Erpy posted:

By the way, just in case you were confused about the new title, "The Severing Chains" in Japanese is basically "The Severing Eclipse" in Japanese if you cut off a few kanji at the start and the end. Like if Walter had been in Sharon's position and he called himself The Wolf while in service of the Reinfords only to call himself The Direwolf again upon returning to the fold. Falcom never gave XSeed any context for Sharon's nickname, so NISA didn't even bother trying to translate their way around that little wordplay and simply used her new title.

What is the more literal meaning of both names? Best I can tell they only use "severing" as a flourish?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I found time to get back to CS3, started Chapter 2 proper in Crossbell

I only watched Let's Plays of Zero and Azure, but it was still cool seeing Crossbell in full 3D and seeing familiar locations like the old Heiyu HQ, the Grimwood Office, and the SSS Building. And Juna having sad comments about each location was a nice touch, especially the SSS building :smith:.

On the other hand a lot of characters are talking like Juna was involved with the SSS as far back as Azure, maybe the re-release of Azure that's going to retroactively add her and Towa into that game will help make more sense.

And without listening to Tio's Japanese VA in those games, her voice in CS3 would have thrown me off, but I can see that the voice direction wanted her to keep to the "stoic/emotionless girl" vibe

I ended right when Alissa and Sharon came in for the save at the Geofront, and I've heard that this is when the game really starts to push Rean and Alissa as a couple. So far, though, it just seems like people teasing Rean being a ladies man and Alissa running up to hug Rean.

The 'special' request with Crypids re-appearing in Crossbell is intriguing, especially with the new reveal that it's Crypids that Class 7 fought in CS2 that are here now in Crossbell. I wonder if the Purple Pleroma Grass from the CS3 opening is going to play into here

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 1, 2022

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I finally got around to playing Ys 9. Really rushed it, too, but that just means I was enjoying it. It's been a while since I'd played a new Falcom game. Though it was very fun, I did often find myself with minor or major complaints that left a somewhat sour taste. On the plus side, I liked the core cast well, better than in 8. Anemona was my favorite, even though it's not a character archetype I tend to enjoy. The Gifts were also fun, though the blunt approach they took to limiting wallclimb in some areas was something of an immersion breaker. I didn't like exploring the city that much but it all came together well in the dungeons.

The thing I liked the least was the Adol-2 segments. They were confusing, often dull, sometimes frustrating, and didn't seem to add much in the end.

The most baffling decision was them sticking to the 6 playable character model for this 7 person main cast. What's that? The one winged angel woman with a magic gun and centuries of combat experience who's on the title screen? Can't imagine why you'd want to play as her.

I also was reasonably invested in the plot until they started talking about alchemy and then it instantly fell apart for me. Considering how much they talk about it towards the end I'm not even sure what the point was. Between the politics and supposed ethnic discrimination, the legacy of dead gods, the alchemy, and the stuff about monsters from resentment, all the plot threads didn't end up coming together too well.

Ys 8 is my favorite Falcom game, and this was a step down in several ways, but I still like the current formula pretty well and would be happy to play an Ys 10 that follows it as well.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

On the other hand a lot of characters are talking like Juna was involved with the SSS as far back as Azure, maybe the re-release of Azure that's going to retroactively add her and Towa into that game will help make more sense.

Juna is certainly an extant character in the Trails to Azure version that I played. But really background, and very much a "poo poo poo poo poo poo RETCON GO" addition.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Spoilers for the third Boss and the finale, so don't read these until finishing CS 3.

Sooo... like just two days earlier, old Class VII had a big reunion, and one Big Deal moment from the end of that part was Millium, declaring that she would stand with Class VII even if it meant going up against Osborne and the other Ironbloods. So then she just decided to throw all that out the window and stand with the Ironbloods, fighting with lethal intent against Class VII. And what was the reason given?

Cheerful, friendly Millium, who loves sunshine and cooking and fun, decided to stand with Osborne because his plan was so compelling. The plan which was… to let her sister Altina be murdered in cold blood in order to – and I quote – “drown the world in conflict” end quote. Campanella specifically describes this to one of his fellow Ouroboros comrades as “you were working toward the end of the world.” OH, well, when you put it that way, who could say no? /sarcasm

Someone else had a couple quotes there:
His undending charisma convinces you everything he does is the proper course of action.”

Reeeeeeeeeeeeally. I think it must have just ended, because he sure as hell didn’t manage to make a compelling case why, exactly, “drown the world in conflict” and “endless struggles leading humanity to ever greater heights” would be a good thing. In fact, he made it seem like a terrible, awful thing. Speaking of which, That philosophy sounds familiar.

“One could say we see him the way members of Ouroboros view their Grandmaster.
So you’re cultists, subsuming your will to your Glorious Leader and having them do all the thinking for you, without ever questioning what they’re trying to do, or whether their actions and intentions go against your own personal values. Yeah, that tracks.

The thing with the "four way combat link" eyes was weird. The fight didn't show anything like that in action. If the eye thing is supposed to signify the presence of some eeeevil mind control, and they’re being compelled to act against their will by Osborne, it sure didn’t come across that way. Nothing they said indicated that they were acting against their wishes or were compelled into cooperation. If it IS some mind control bullshit, that’s obnoxious and unnecessary. I was already expecting Claire, Lechter, and Rufus to be on Osborne’s side for anything – simple loyalty is all that is needed.

After the fight, Claire saying “gosh, I’m sorry this turned out this way”, and Lechter saying “Do me a favor and rescue her”… SERIOUSLY?? To say that, while actively trying to kill us? Both of you, go gently caress yourselves. That goes double for that awful “Claire reaching out for Rean bit”. No, lady, you don’t get to do that. You just tried to murder him. And after he leaves the room, you’re going right back to attempting to murder his friends. gently caress off. As a tangent, one of my pet theories is that Claire’s crush on Rean is not really about Rean at all. I think Claire is actually in love with Gilliath, but recognizes that he doesn’t see her that way and he’s not going to reciprocate, so she’s projecting her feelings for Gilliath in a kinda warped way at what she sees as the closest substitute.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Spoilers for the third Boss and the finale, so don't read these until finishing CS 3.

Sooo... like just two days earlier, old Class VII had a big reunion, and one Big Deal moment from the end of that part was Millium, declaring that she would stand with Class VII even if it meant going up against Osborne and the other Ironbloods. So then she just decided to throw all that out the window and stand with the Ironbloods, fighting with lethal intent against Class VII. And what was the reason given?

Cheerful, friendly Millium, who loves sunshine and cooking and fun, decided to stand with Osborne because his plan was so compelling. The plan which was… to let her sister Altina be murdered in cold blood in order to – and I quote – “drown the world in conflict” end quote. Campanella specifically describes this to one of his fellow Ouroboros comrades as “you were working toward the end of the world.” OH, well, when you put it that way, who could say no? /sarcasm

My interpretation was that Millium's real plan was always to do what she ended up doing and take her sister's place as the Sword of the End at the last moment. She had no idea whether the party would even be able to make their way inside the Gral, so she went along with the other Ironbloods when they took Altina there. When Class VII fought the other Ironbloods, she did her "I'm gonna sit the rest of this one out"-bit after making a token effort (instead of continuing the fight after Class VII forced a brief standoff), just so she'd be in a good position to swoop in while everyone else's attention was on Rean.

As a tangent, one of my pet theories is that Claire’s crush on Rean is not really about Rean at all. I think Claire is actually in love with Gilliath, but recognizes that he doesn’t see her that way and he’s not going to reciprocate, so she’s projecting her feelings for Gilliath in a kinda warped way at what she sees as the closest substitute.

That's not really the impression I got. Claire lost her mom, dad and little brother due to foul play and Osborne gave her the opportunity to get justice, but at the cost of fracturing what was left of her family even further. So she convinced herself that the rest of her family hated her and withdrew from them completely, embracing the Ironbloods as her new family and loyally and stubbornly sticking with that family even as it engaged in some very messed up poo poo that clearly went against her morals, because walking out on them would be abandoning her family a second time and her desire for a group to belong to was stronger than her convictions.

You might have noticed that this is a recurring theme. The lab-grown homunculus is the only member of the Ironbloods who doesn't carry a massive family-related chip on her shoulders.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 8, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Erpy posted:

My interpretation was that Millium's real plan was always to do what she ended up doing and take her sister's place as the Sword of the End at the last moment. She had no idea whether the party would even be able to make their way inside the Gral, so she went along with the other Ironbloods when they took Altina there. When Class VII fought the other Ironbloods, she did her "I'm gonna sit the rest of this one out"-bit after making a token effort (instead of continuing the fight after Class VII forced a brief standoff), just so she'd be in a good position to swoop in while everyone else's attention was on Rean.

This interpretation is not canonically disproven.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I'm with Erpy on all accounts.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Welcome to the "Claire/Lechter please leave" club. Your membership card is in the mail.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Claire's character assassination in 3 and 4 is kind of beautiful in how complete and total it is. What an awful person.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Erpy posted:

That doesn’t make sense to me.

I have a very difficult time believing that Millium’s values - as seen through her personality and reactions through the first three games - mesh with the stated goal of “drown the world in conflict” in the first place. Secondly, if she wasn’t sure whether or not the party would get in at all, why would she wait around midway down, running the risk of the ritual completing before she could take Altina’s place? Which almost happened, in fact.

Altina clearly didn’t seem to be on board with the whole “break my neck” bit, since she had been rendered unconscious, and fought back once regaining consciousness. If Millium’s plan was to volunteer, why not do that up front and completely forgo the need to sacrifice Altina? (If it didn’t work, they still had Altina as a backup.)

Erpy posted:

That's not really the impression I got.

As I said, it was just a theory - the impression I personally had after finishing Cold Steel 2, before getting additional context in CS 3. I'm still not really ready to toss it into the trash. Perhaps that's because I just can't buy that Claire is actually in love with Rean.

She spent very little time with him over the course of CS 1/2, and almost all of that was in the course of Claire doing RMP work. They had what, two bonding events, one of which was again, official business, doing a perimeter check of Ymir. That really just leaves only the billiards thing. Overall, Claire and Rean just haven't spent anywhere nearly enough time together for me to buy that she could have formed feelings that deep.

Shinjobi posted:

Welcome to the "Claire/Lechter please leave" club. Your membership card is in the mail.

I've always been in the "Lechter leave" club, I've never liked him, ever. He's always been irritating, and so is his "supernaturally perfect intuition" schtick, which ventures into "boring invincible person" territory.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah Lechter was always a bad character and Cold Steel made him worse by the payoff not being remotely worth it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
they made the little poo poo's name one letter off from "lecher" and had him spend his three-hour intro scene "comedically" perving on kloe and expect people to find him charming

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That doesn’t make sense to me.

I have a very difficult time believing that Millium’s values - as seen through her personality and reactions through the first three games - mesh with the stated goal of “drown the world in conflict” in the first place. Secondly, if she wasn’t sure whether or not the party would get in at all, why would she wait around midway down, running the risk of the ritual completing before she could take Altina’s place? Which almost happened, in fact.

Altina clearly didn’t seem to be on board with the whole “break my neck” bit, since she had been rendered unconscious, and fought back once regaining consciousness. If Millium’s plan was to volunteer, why not do that up front and completely forgo the need to sacrifice Altina? (If it didn’t work, they still had Altina as a backup.)

Because Millium did not think they'd be able to stop the ritual or escape after saving Altina and she needs to wait for the last second to take the hit and save her sis because everyone involved would rather Altina die than her so unless she's jumping in the way of a deadly attack nobody's going to want to hurt her. And once she becomes a powerful sword of destiny that gets rid of the entire reason the Ironbloods wants to kill her little sister anyway so problem solved hopefully.

Like, I dunno i didn't consider it particularly complicated or ambiguous. Of course Millium was there for Altina. Like half of her scenes are about how much she loves her new sibling and I don't think the game needs to really explain her motivations directly for it to be understood why she's doing what she's doing. I think her actions speak loudly enough.

Also, Lechter's cool and they should have done more with him and Ash. Don't really remember him doing anything pervy in 3rd.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

No.

The game is somewhat relying on pattern recognition here. Remember that at the end of both Cold Steel 1 and Cold Steel 2, Millium figured out one of the big plot-bomb reveals (Crow is C. Rufus is an Iron Blood) before anyone else did. However, in both cases, even though she was faster on the uptake than the entirety of Class VII, she was still too slow to do anything about it. In CS3, she does figure out what they plan for Altina, and even says that their specs are the same, at one point. It's meant to be a dagger in the heart of people who wished Millium figured this important stuff out just a little sooner. Well. She did.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, Lechter's cool and they should have done more with him and Ash. Don't really remember him doing anything pervy in 3rd.

I believe the incident he's referencing was that time Lechter was leaning on the steps and Kloe walks over and stands right above him for a couple minutes before Lechter pointed out how unfortunate her choice of positioning was.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Alright, I think I'm going to start Trails in the Sky for real this time and I have a question; I know these games have a lot of missables, but are they Tales of Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia levels of bad where doing wrong steps or not talking to random NPCs in unexpected places will lock you out of entire lore-important side quest arcs, dungeons, or hidden bosses? At this point I'm more aiming to go through the series rather than aiming for 100% in everything, but I also don't want to end up missing major stuff because I didn't use a guide

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

RevolverDivider posted:

Claire's character assassination in 3 and 4 is kind of beautiful in how complete and total it is. What an awful person.

I didn't really ruminate on it until 4 but her implicitly being okay with a child being murdered, just not the one she personally cared about is pretty hosed up when she's still supposed to be a sympathetic character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MechaX posted:

Alright, I think I'm going to start Trails in the Sky for real this time and I have a question; I know these games have a lot of missables, but are they Tales of Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia levels of bad where doing wrong steps or not talking to random NPCs in unexpected places will lock you out of entire lore-important side quest arcs, dungeons, or hidden bosses? At this point I'm more aiming to go through the series rather than aiming for 100% in everything, but I also don't want to end up missing major stuff because I didn't use a guide

Pretty much every chapter has a hidden quest but I can't think of any that have like big lore reveals or anything at least not in Sky. I might be missing some because I also felt burnt out by Sky 2 and I started skipping quests but I never really got the feeling I was losing out. It's definitely not to the level of Abyss or Vesperia.

Justin_Brett posted:

I didn't really ruminate on it until 4 but her implicitly being okay with a child being murdered, just not the one she personally cared about is pretty hosed up when she's still supposed to be a sympathetic character.

That is one of the only interesting things about Claire though. Almost compelling if they did a bit more with it.

Claire's big problem in CS3/4 is that she's real boring and I don't buy her relationship with Rean at all. Just kinda can't care about her unless Millium is around.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 10, 2022

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

MechaX posted:

There are lots of missable sidequests that disappear when you progress the plot but only a small handful of them are related to the main story.

There are no story important missable sidequests in the Sky games or Zero. Also the sidequests aren't very good and are a waste of time, so I'd advise just getting on with the plot. Trails in the Sky the 3rd has optional doors (ie mini chapters where you play as another character) but the only vaguely plot important one is Star Door 8, which sets up the Cold Steel arc. The others are just more fluff if you want more fluff.

In Ao, you want to use a walkthrough because there are several hidden quests with obscure timings and placements that resolve long running subplots. They're coincidentally the only decent sidequests in the game.

No important missable sidequests in Cold Steel 1. The overall quality of the sidequests is an improvement over the prior games but you're still not really missing out if you skip them.

For Cold Steel 2, download a NG+ save and use that for your playthrough so you can do the Black Records sidequest. You just need a walkthrough that tells you where to go and on what days to collect the 5 books. This gives you a cutscene that sets up later games. If you miss it. Or you can just watch a 3 minute video of the cutscene on youtube after you beat the game.

After CS3 there are no important missables IIRC.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

MechaX posted:

The main set of missables is the Carnelia book series, which if you're not using a guide you are physically not getting.

There are some missable quests that are mostly plot-unrelated. One has a neat moment for later.

There are no hidden bosses or dungeons.

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Trails in the Sky the 3rd has optional doors (ie mini chapters where you play as another character) but the only vaguely plot important one is Star Door 8, which sets up the Cold Steel arc. The others are just more fluff if you want more fluff.

Utter lol at not considering 14 or 15 plot important.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Nothing in Trails is remotely Tales tier. The series generally doesn't hide stuff in towns on the side of the world you need to do now or miss out on the rest of the all game side quest nor is entering the final dungeon a side quest requirement.

Millium loves her family and will do whatever it takes to protect them. Lechter is another character that suffered under the series giving "antagonists" 1% screentime while hyping them up. And Claire's VA dying likely altered her role a bit cuz Japan, but her reasoning makes sense and is very sad for her eviling and attachment to Rean.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Well, I still think it's a stupid plan (and it almost failed), but stupid, risky plans aren't exactly new to the series. Also none of the replies have addressed the other half of my confusion about why Millium seems to approve of "drown the world in conflict" as a goal for the plan. I'm also not really sure how trying to kill Class VII is helping to protect them, but whatever. I don't think there's more for me to say, so I'll drop it.

If you want, MechaX, I could put together a mini-guide which is as spoiler-free as possible and PM that to you. It wouldn't take all that long since I've actually done at least a partial one for someone else.

I wouldn't recommend skipping sidequests, if only because sometimes characters from those come back later and it's great to say "oh, I remember person X from that thing way back when!" Mechanically speaking, doing sidequests also gives you higher ranks a LOT faster than doing the main quest only and some of the rewards are really handy, especially the earlier you get them.

Oh, and definitely play the Sky games on Normal difficulty. Higher difficulties generally won't make the combat any harder, just more tedious.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 10, 2022

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Trying to figure out the right way to put this and I apologize if it's too much but you seem to be kind of stuck on it; you're not getting engagement on that point mostly for reasons you yourself noted the first time you described the plan's reveal

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well, I still think it's a stupid plan (and it almost failed), but stupid, risky plans aren't exactly new to the series. Also none of the replies have addressed the other half of my confusion about why Millium seems to approves of "drown the world in conflict" as a goal for the plan. I'm also not really sure how trying to kill Class VII is helping to protect them, but whatever. I don't think there's more for me to say, so I'll drop it.

I don't think Millium is down with that part of the plan.

E: Or any part of the plan? I dunno, she's an ironblood because of her personal relationship with its members not out of any ideological belief.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I've been playing Trails in the Sky, and I just finished the prologue I believe (I got through all the dad's left over missions). I really like the story and characters, but the gameplay is just not that fun for me, at least yet. Does it open up pretty well, or is it better to try one of the more recent Trails games?