Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

also fwiw as bad as Stetson played in the SECCG, he still tossed for 150 more yards against the Tide than a certain narrative-driving someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

But best unit v best unit, the Greatest Defense Of All Time sacked Bryce Young zero times, forced zero turnovers and gave up 536yds and 41pts.

Like yeah, Bama wasn’t always the most impressive team on the field for the prior 12 games but they pantsed the hell out of the anointed team in their biggest game and there aren’t any huge wrinkles I can see that’ll change that. Maybe the Heisman curse?

And again Kirby/Lanning changed their whole defensive scheme for one game getting away from what worked. Not saying that is 100% a guarantee but it might be enough to help.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah I think it's an overall feeling that the SECCG was more of an outlier and partially due to a strategy error by Kirby Smart. An outlier vs. the whole rest of the season, where we saw Georgia not just beat but annihilate every other team including some common opponents that Bama just squeaked by. And Georgia looked returned to form against Michigan, and Bama is further depleted at WR and the O line from that game.

Now it's very possible that it's an outlier because Saban knows how to exploit and coach against that team and coach specifically despite his own team's weaknesses.

If Georgia is more aggressive on the pass rush and blitzes, they might get burned for a touchdown or two but if it disrupts most of Bama's drives and results in their own interception, forced fumble or defensive touchdown then it might well be worth it and give them their best chance to win.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

LeeMajors posted:

But best unit v best unit, the Greatest Defense Of All Time sacked Bryce Young zero times, forced zero turnovers and gave up 536yds and 41pts.

Like yeah, Bama wasn’t always the most impressive team on the field for the prior 12 games but they pantsed the hell out of the anointed team in their biggest game and there aren’t any huge wrinkles I can see that’ll change that. Maybe the Heisman curse?

it’s still just a one game sample size, Alabama isn’t 17 points better than Georgia

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah the difference is probably higher

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
this thread is going through one of the stages of grief but it's happening before the tragedy.

I hope I am wrong but Alabama just seems inevitable.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

There’s plenty of instances where teams play twice in a year with different outcomes. Bama may very well win again but it’s silly to pretend that a single game is predictive.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The only people basing it on a single game are the people who think Georgia may win.

Everyone else is basing it on the last decade-plus of games.

E: this sounded way more clever in my head but the first part doesn't make sense; the second part is my point though.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 9, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

boop the snoot posted:

The only people basing it on a single game are the people who think Georgia may win.

Everyone else is basing it on the last decade-plus of games.

I don’t think anything that happened when Mark Richt was coaching Georgia is especially relevant.

LSU couldn’t beat Bama for like a decade either, then they did. Sometimes good teams best Bama and a Georgia is a good team.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

boop the snoot posted:

this thread is going through one of the stages of grief but it's happening before the tragedy.

I hope I am wrong but Alabama just seems inevitable.

I’m the opposite- Alabama beating Georgia yet again is by far the funnier outcome, but I think Georgia is going to win.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

LeeMajors posted:

I mean, the fundamental problem is this. Georgia’s defense works when you’re committed to a certain style of play where they can match personnel and create havoc, like the Saban teams of yore. It’s ideal when they play a team running like 12 personnel with a good nickel to flex for 11. Unfortunately, they can also be victims of their own success, because that secondary essentially only ever has to account for 5-7 step drops before the rush gets home in 90% of matchups. When someone can keep a clean slate and extend a play? Can’t just play pattern matching and man for 5-7 seconds and have no one get open without some elite corners which it’s hard for find one of let alone 3.

Nick himself realized in about 2013 that he had to have, at a minimum, a competitive nickel capability with LBs that could run enough to hide gaps in a spread and an offense that could actually make a defense respect the passing game when they don’t have literally Julio. So you saw Saban base more of his stuff out of 4-2-5 with LBs closer to 240-250 as opposed to 260-70, and he became a lot more willing to leave personnel out there for a whole drive. Kirby’s response has been to chase LBs like Dean who solve a lot of the range problems rather than change his whole front, and he still rotates personnel more than Saban which is something you can game if you have some weird mismatch dudes or a play caller with the kind of time to figure out what puts stress on a given personnel group.

Bryce solves for the problem in the Georgia defense. Stetson doesn’t right now but maybe could if he has the game of his life.

Bama by 10

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't even possess the capacity to give a poo poo. Might as well be which of the two identical twins is going to be prom queen.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

nachos posted:

it’s still just a one game sample size, Alabama isn’t 17 points better than Georgia

Yeah but it’s the most relevant piece of data we have. And Bama seems to lose to very specific types of quarterbacks, and Bennett isn’t one of them.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah but it’s the most relevant piece of data we have. And Bama seems to lose to very specific types of quarterbacks, and Bennett isn’t one of them.

They lost to Zach Calzada. His QB “type” is “bad.”

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They’re weirdly susceptible to mobile QBs. Also generational talents, but they’ve tended to be mobile also.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

YOLOsubmarine posted:

And Trevor knight... And Dr Bo... Etc

Anyway anyone rooting for Georgia will regret it the second it's over and Kirby becomes the bowl cut godking of every fuckhead in the southeast

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

They’re weirdly susceptible to mobile QBs. Also generational talents, but they’ve tended to be mobile also.

Calzada has -9 rushing yards this season. And he had a leg injury when he played Bama. Whatever your definition of “mobile QB” is there’s no way he qualifies and Stetson Bennet doesn’t.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Calzada has -9 rushing yards this season. And he had a leg injury when he played Bama. Whatever your definition of “mobile QB” is there’s no way he qualifies and Stetson Bennet doesn’t.

For some reason I really had the memory of Calzada extending plays outside the pocket but I just revisited the box score and there certainly wasn't any rushing happening there. That's the only A&M game I watched this year, but I somehow created a memory of him being fairly mobile, even injured in the Bama game.

Welp.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

LeeMajors posted:

For some reason I really had the memory of Calzada extending plays outside the pocket but I just revisited the box score and there certainly wasn't any rushing happening there. That's the only A&M game I watched this year, but I somehow created a memory of him being fairly mobile, even injured in the Bama game.

Welp.

Echoes of Jonathan Football poisoning the memory

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LeeMajors posted:

Stetson Bennett looked like Michael Vick against Michigan.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I always root for Alabama in these situations because I’m an miserable jerk and I can’t even remember how many championships Saban has but I know it’s been 40 years since Georgia won.

Same reason I didn’t want Clemson to win Dabo’s second.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I'm pulling for Bama because it's fascinating to see historic greatness and (more importantly) the alternative is a Georgia title.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm pulling for Bama because it's fascinating to see historic greatness and (more importantly) the alternative is a Georgia title.

Personally I’ve enjoyed the month of everyone saying we shouldn’t believe our eyes and UGA is still a better team than Bama.

The past five years or so I’ve become really comfy being gaslit.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LeeMajors posted:

Personally I’ve enjoyed the month of everyone saying we shouldn’t believe our eyes and UGA is still a better team than Bama.

The past five years or so I’ve become really comfy being gaslit.

What I am learning is that we should predict what is going to happen in Bama vs Georgia based on what happened in every game except Bama vs Georgia.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

boop the snoot posted:

What I am learning is that we should predict what is going to happen in Bama vs Georgia based on what happened in every game except Bama vs Georgia.

But it's a small sample size! It's only one game!!

I mean UGA may win in a single game. They're ungodly talented. But like, nothing about the SECCG game made me feel like they were the better team and Bama just squeaked through on circumstance and luck.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

boop the snoot posted:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Stetson is the first *starting* QB that UGA has regularly done designed runs for since, uh…..DJ Shockley?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I’m not going to be too upset about it if we don’t win. I didn’t expect us to run the table like we did and getting to the natty at all is cool. Wish it wasn’t against Alabama but we had our bite at that Apple during the SECCG.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

I hope you’ve got a lot of money on Bama. You’d be a fool to pass up a sure thing.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

I’m not going to be too upset about it if we don’t win. I didn’t expect us to run the table like we did and getting to the natty at all is cool. Wish it wasn’t against Alabama but we had our bite at that Apple during the SECCG.

per the preseason prediction thread, I expected UGA to show rear end against Clemson, win out, lose to Bama in the SECCG, and play a don't-care NY6 bowl. Holistically, the only difference is that Clemson turned out to be toothless, but on a week-by-week basis, Dawgs killed teams and it ruled. Beating Arkansas in 5 minutes, pre-ruining Anthony Richardson's career, the quiet afternoon on the Plains, the quiet afternoon on Rocky Top, physically clowning Harbaugh's top-of-the-mountain team, it was all very fun.

Also, and this isn't nothing, despite the sturm und drang on the QB situation, this is the first time in my Georgia fandom where people didn't want to kill the OC.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

Also, and this isn't nothing, despite the sturm und drang on the QB situation, this is the first time in my Georgia fandom where people didn't want to kill the OC.

I see almost universal praise for Monken other than the QB situation. There is some skuttlebutt that we are going to fire our WR coach and get a full time dedicated QB coach in the offseason, but who knows if that is going to actually happen.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

D.N. Nation posted:

pre-ruining Anthony Richardson's career

Wishful thinking here.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Wishful thinking here.

The last 5 football minutes of that half were buck-wild

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

The last 5 football minutes of that half were buck-wild

Sure. A Driskelian implosion.He'd also not seen a lot of game time because the QB whisperer thought Emory Jones was better somehow, then decided to give the fans a middle finger by throwing him directly into the fire against the best defense in the country.

He showed poise later in limited action, bringing us back against FSU etc.

He'll be fine if he can stay healthy.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Idle passing thought: What’s presenting Uncle Nick’s Benz dealership from just NILing whoever he wants the most? I’d assume there are rules around that.

Also quit rooting for use because you hate Georgia. Hatred sustains us and frankly every time you all pick a team because you dislike the other one they lose.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i hope georgia steamrolls alabama because it would be the funniest outcome

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Warbird posted:

Also quit rooting for use because you hate Georgia. Hatred sustains us and frankly every time you all pick a team because you dislike the other one they lose.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Warbird posted:

Idle passing thought: What’s presenting Uncle Nick’s Benz dealership from just NILing whoever he wants the most? I’d assume there are rules around that.

I rooted for Georgia because I hate Michigan and I worked out pretty well though???

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Warbird posted:

I’ve rooted for UGA precisely once in 33 years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Sugar_Bowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LeeMajors posted:

I’ve rooted for UGA precisely once in 33 years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Sugar_Bowl

Ok but

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/georgia-vs-notre-dame-score-no-3-bulldogs-survive-late-push-from-no-7-irish-for-big-win/