Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So what’s the deal with levequests this time around, now that triple turnins are gone? Just level, then basically forget about them? Or are there any that basically print money for no great effort after you get everything to 90, like coffee biscuits and mythril files?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

HackensackBackpack posted:

I'm leveling PLD mostly just for my combat retainer, but drat if you guys aren't making me want to pick Warrior back up.

It's easy to get bored of but it's always pretty satisfying to play for a little bit at least. I really really hope Primal Rend is a pvp move come the 6.1 revamp

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

So what’s the deal with levequests this time around, now that triple turnins are gone? Just level, then basically forget about them? Or are there any that basically print money for no great effort after you get everything to 90, like coffee biscuits and mythril files?

I feel like tsai tou vounou leves are probably as close as you'll get to the coffee biscuit leve? Can get about a mil from a full stack of 100 leves but prices for them aren't so low that you can just buy them off of the market board and flip them for a zero effort profit.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I feel like tsai tou vounou leves are probably as close as you'll get to the coffee biscuit leve? Can get about a mil from a full stack of 100 leves but prices for them aren't so low that you can just buy them off of the market board and flip them for a zero effort profit.

Yeah, Tsai is the closest you can get. None of the mats require Bicolors, and Palm Sugar's the only secondary mat that eats up crystals. It's still not especially good money - you're looking at about 10k per leve - but it doesn't require any finagling with the MB, and they're pretty easy to macro to HQ with some melded level 90 gear.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Laughs in rear end clinching Essential Dignity

Essential Dignity reaches its highest power at 30% HP so there's no real point in doing this.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Chillgamesh posted:

It's easy to get bored of but it's always pretty satisfying to play for a little bit at least. I really really hope Primal Rend is a pvp move come the 6.1 revamp

I had fun with it the last time I played it, but I haven't played it in awhile. Could be a good change of pace.

Well, time to look for an axe I like. (Pictures from WARs are welcome)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

HackensackBackpack posted:

I had fun with it the last time I played it, but I haven't played it in awhile. Could be a good change of pace.

Well, time to look for an axe I like. (Pictures from WARs are welcome)

Level 83 dungeon axe. There's a shinier one crafted at 89, but if you're going to use a buzzsaw axe it should be a tarnished one. Yes, the sawblade spins with churning pistons.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

drat that rules.

Is there a basic overview for SMN? I was thinking of levelling it and realized I literally did not play it throughout all of Shadowbringers. It's good now? Titan's rear end?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nessus posted:

drat that rules.

Is there a basic overview for SMN? I was thinking of levelling it and realized I literally did not play it throughout all of Shadowbringers. It's good now? Titan's rear end?

just hit a training dummy for a bit and you'll grasp it immediately. I dunno what it plays like at very low levels, but at least from level 50+, it's

aethercharge/dreadwyrm trance/summon bahamut/summon phoenix (these are all the same button) to enter a phase where ruin is good. Then you get charges to enter garuda/titan/ifrit phases (colored carbuncles at low levels, then egis, then at level 90 the real thing). There's another button, gemshine I think, which is better than ruin during this phase, and you get a limited number of uses per primal before it kicks you out, at which point you summon the next primal. Somewhere in the 80s, the deathflare button starts doing something in ifrit/garuda/titan, so press it too. Use ruin as filler after the primal phases end but before the 60s cooldown on summon bahamut or whatever is back up.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 10, 2022

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The jury is still out on if Summoner is good in terms of DPS and stuff right now. Pretty much everyone agrees that the job is way more rad now and finally plays to the power fantasy of summoning big fuckers to smite your enemies.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think it's a great alt class but I wouldn't want to main it. Doesn't feel like it has much depth. About the only crunchy bit to it is choosing when to enter ifrit, because that has long castbars

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Nessus posted:

drat that rules.

It's okay, damage is a little low compared to the old version, but it's also much easier to play.

Basically you go between two phases, one where you summon different flavors of carbuncle (and later on, small primals) to get special instant-cast spells. Every 60 seconds you can use aethercharge (and later, summoning demi-Bahamut and Phoenix) which gives you stronger normal spells to cast (or more instant-cast spells with the demi-egis, plus nukes and heals).

You basically just switch between different spells to spam, most of them instant-cast. The egi summons gets more involved, but not until like level 86.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Level 83 dungeon axe. There's a shinier one crafted at 89, but if you're going to use a buzzsaw axe it should be a tarnished one. Yes, the sawblade spins with churning pistons.

The DRK weapon is a gigantic chainsaw

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Begemot posted:

It's okay, damage is a little low compared to the old version, but it's also much easier to play.

Basically you go between two phases, one where you summon different flavors of carbuncle (and later on, small primals) to get special instant-cast spells. Every 60 seconds you can use aethercharge (and later, summoning demi-Bahamut and Phoenix) which gives you stronger normal spells to cast (or more instant-cast spells with the demi-egis, plus nukes and heals).

You basically just switch between different spells to spam, most of them instant-cast. The egi summons gets more involved, but not until like level 86.

cheetah7071 posted:

just hit a training dummy for a bit and you'll grasp it immediately. I dunno what it plays like at very low levels, but at least from level 50+, it's

aethercharge/dreadwyrm trance/summon bahamut/summon phoenix (these are all the same button) to enter a phase where ruin is good. Then you get charges to enter garuda/titan/ifrit phases (colored carbuncles at low levels, then egis, then at level 90 the real thing). There's another button, gemshine I think, which is better than ruin during this phase, and you get a limited number of uses per primal before it kicks you out, at which point you summon the next primal. Somewhere in the 80s, the deathflare button starts doing something in ifrit/garuda/titan, so press it too. Use ruin as filler after the primal phases end but before the 60s cooldown on summon bahamut or whatever is back up.
Thanks holmes, I did a little savage in Omega before life meant I couldn't play with my old team and I was pretty good, but I knew it was completely different now (no dots?)

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Nessus posted:

Thanks holmes, I did a little savage in Omega before life meant I couldn't play with my old team and I was pretty good, but I knew it was completely different now (no dots?)

No more DoTs with the exception of Garuda’s slipstream placing a ground effect DoT.

SMN is one of the lowest DPS classes, but due to ease of play you’ll often see (if you run act) that it is near the top in groups, but that is mostly others not playing well.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

I think it's a great alt class but I wouldn't want to main it. Doesn't feel like it has much depth. About the only crunchy bit to it is choosing when to enter ifrit, because that has long castbars

Yeah this is pretty accurate. I haven't done any raids with it but between regular trials and dungeons slipstream also seems to do a surprising amount of dps - usually in my top three abilities - so optimizing that is another little quirk. Having a gap closer and heal are also kinda neat to pull off appropriately but overall yeah, pretty simple. Great to share gear with my RDM primary just to mix things up occasionally.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

The DRK weapon is a gigantic chainsaw

A lot of physical classes get fun ones for that tier.
--PLD gets a handheld power saw
--DRK gets a chainsaw
--GNB is a chainsword 40K style, sadly not animated
--DRG is a *ahem* suggestive drill
--RPR is a motorized branch trimmer
--MNK is absolutely nasty saw knuckles
--NIN is the Paladin's saw times 2

The rest have a neat aesthetic but no fancy animations

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I want to like new SMN, but I almost feel like making everything not have a cast time was a huge mistake? Like I appreciate the freedom of movement but with how big damage can get, I feel the cast time actually makes it feel like there is a pay off. Even if it was just the summons and you upped their potency, casting them would be neat. Also you know the whole, I play a caster, I actually like...casting.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
oh my god the sage weapon from the 83 dungeon is amazing, it’s 4 floating mini gun turrets??

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I think garuda should have had cast bars. So then you're roughly half casting and half non-casting, give or take

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah I think garuda should have had cast bars. So then you're roughly half casting and half non-casting, give or take

her astral flow has a cast bar

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

kitten emergency posted:

her astral flow has a cast bar

yeah I know, I meant the filler GCDs

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah I know, I meant the filler GCDs

why? the entire point is that her stuff is the fastest to come out

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Leraika posted:

why? the entire point is that her stuff is the fastest to come out

becaue I think smn would be more interesting with more castbars. Ifrit already has them, and Titan has the oGCDs, which leaves garuda

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

cheetah7071 posted:

becaue I think smn would be more interesting with more castbars

:wrong:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I like the mobility of Summoner as it is. If they think it isn't doing enough damage, they can buff it, but it doesn't feel weak to me now that Phoenix isn't worse than Bahamut.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
Summoner is functionally a ranged physical dps now with its mobility, and thus does ranged physical dps levels of damage now.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Did they ever explain how the unsundered Ascians escaped the sundering?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Truth Quark posted:

Summoner is functionally a ranged physical dps now with its mobility, and thus does ranged physical dps levels of damage now.

Give Machinist a rez then :colbert:

Tainen posted:

Did they ever explain how the unsundered Ascians escaped the sundering?

not yet

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

tbf as someone that’s used to pld damage I’m pretty chuffed with smn at 90. I’ve always wanted to play smn but it never felt really summoner-y, so EW smn is basically right up my alley

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Chillgamesh posted:

Give Machinist a rez then :colbert:

Defibrillator.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GameObjectives/status/1480366282440642560

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

kitten emergency posted:

oh my god the sage weapon from the 83 dungeon is amazing, it’s 4 floating mini gun turrets??

yeah, it owns

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

kitten emergency posted:

Knew I was forgetting one.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Summoner has been instant casting for a long time now, and the times they had cast bars was when they had nothing else to push if you were doing your rotation correctly. 5.0 Smn was essentially a prototype version of 6.0 SMN, before they had to bandaid it into the 5.1 version, since 5.0 had just a few too many spinning plates between its trance-casting/EA, dot management, and ED/Fester buttons. All 6.0 really did was cut the dots, and combined trance casting with EAs, and turned ruin 4s into Astral flow, so you got a pretty simplified summoner now. Being mobile has always been part of SMN's dna though since the other big appeal of dots is you're still doing dmg while running around. That's obviously not a thing anymore, but it's why they still retain their mobility.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 10, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Bleck posted:

I am still relatively very new to this game but my experience playing with my friends is that our Dark Knight runs past like three or four groups of mobs that the game, I don't know, maybe wants us to fight one or two at a time and then twenty different enemies claw his eyes out while our Sage shoots lasers at all the enemies and the Dark Knight dies and then they all talk about how bad Dark Knight is and I go "why don't we just fight fewer enemies at a time" and they're like "no you don't understand"

Anyway I'd really like to get Bard to 90 but it's taking fuckin' forever and I've gotten to the point where the leveling roulette no longer even gives me a full level's worth of EXP so if I get some disposable cash soon I might just pay to shoot it up to 80.

Nobody responded to this, but the reason they're going "No you don't understand" is that every other tank does this and lives, Dark Knight does it and dies (or at least is much harder to keep alive).

It's about parity of capability basically, not whether or not pulling 3 to 4 mobs is okay, but that 3 out of 4 tanks do it with very little stress and the fourth has trouble.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Bleck posted:

Anyway I'd really like to get Bard to 90 but it's taking fuckin' forever and I've gotten to the point where the leveling roulette no longer even gives me a full level's worth of EXP so if I get some disposable cash soon I might just pay to shoot it up to 80.

Once you hit 71, just go to Bozja/Zadnor. It is the fastest way to get from 71-90 by a fair amount.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Madmarker posted:

Once you hit 71, just go to Bozja/Zadnor. It is the fastest way to get from 71-90 by a fair amount.

the buff for level 81+ dungeon xp makes dungeons competitive again in ew. For ShB leveling though it's bozja all the way yeah

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I was cleaning out my chocobo saddlebags and found this:

Guess I'll keep it as a memento :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Remember that our pants once stayed up.