Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

The fps mmo is an elusive dream:
Face of Mankind
Planetside
Neocron

I agree Planetside 1 was better and more granular / interesting than Planetside 2 but PS2 had a small revival at the start of the pandemic - and is getting a small dripfeed of content as far as I know.

Foxhole is a lightly instanced war mmo sort of? it’s even full loot!

Not sure what else there is.
There was a weird trend in the 00s and 10s to call lobby based matchmaking games MMOs - similarly to Warframe - thinking of things like Navyfield and a few spaceship shooters with setups similar to War Thunder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Don't forget Hellgate: London!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fps games work better with a more progression-based lobby system like destiny has i think. more quick bursts of gameplay.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remember that one game that was an mmo shmup?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Realm of the Mad God, or was there another one?

I had fun with RotMG for a while. I think it's still running, no idea what it's like now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh realm of the mad god is like, zombies ate my neighbors, i was thinking of valkyrie sky which is more ikaruga/touhou/etc. valkyrie sky's also dead as hell.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I miss the era of a billion korean low/mid budget MMOs being made and hastily brought over, cuz yeah you got weird rear end poo poo like Valkyrie Sky or Atlantica, etc.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Harrow posted:

Realm of the Mad God, or was there another one?

I had fun with RotMG for a while. I think it's still running, no idea what it's like now

Dang, forgot about that one. That was a fun game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

oh realm of the mad god is like, zombies ate my neighbors, i was thinking of valkyrie sky which is more ikaruga/touhou/etc. valkyrie sky's also dead as hell.

Oh I never heard of Valkyrie Sky. That looks like a wild concept

Also you have now reminded me of Zombies Ate My Neighbors, a game I rented like a dozen times as a kid and had somehow almost forgotten

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Endorph posted:

remember that one game that was an mmo shmup?

Oh you reminded me of space cowboy online or whatever - where you arcade flew a plane and shot aliens

There was a game called Armada Online that was supposed to be the mmo sequel to the Dreamcast shmup Armada- which I played to death

https://youtu.be/zDdEy_5gPIA

https://youtu.be/2CzPU_sCrtE

That would be an interesting one to see revisited in concept, something between realm of the mad god and armada blowing up massive waves of space bugs

e: oh. Space Cowboy Online got renamed to Ace Online, and people still play it?

https://youtu.be/cvEVpwOeEyE

it looks like an incomprehensible fireworks mess so i can see the appeal

wolfs fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 5, 2022

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

lol granado espada is still going. what a weird game, what a wild soundtrack

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

People talking about MMOFPS games and not mentioning Endless Ages. hosed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fyQFmAwCeQ

it's worse than it looks

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

wolfs posted:

The fps mmo is an elusive dream:
Face of Mankind
Planetside
Neocron

I agree Planetside 1 was better and more granular / interesting than Planetside 2 but PS2 had a small revival at the start of the pandemic - and is getting a small dripfeed of content as far as I know.

Foxhole is a lightly instanced war mmo sort of? it’s even full loot!

Not sure what else there is.
There was a weird trend in the 00s and 10s to call lobby based matchmaking games MMOs - similarly to Warframe - thinking of things like Navyfield and a few spaceship shooters with setups similar to War Thunder

Face of Mankind was fascinatingly bizarre and I really regret that I never got into it. It's weird player occupation of cities, corporate structures for guilds, pvp struggles over resources, and in-game politics are all the kinds of things games felt like they were really gearing up to start including in a substantial way but it just never really materialized. FoM is currently being revived but I think the effort is dead since the website is sparse and the forum is mostly silent but it's technically happening

https://www.mankindreborn.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST_Lcq8hWgA

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

wolfs posted:

Daybreak did some management jiu-jitsu and spun off the PSide2 team into a separate company, Rogue Planet Games.

RPG seems to be handling the game a lot better than Daybreak ever did. In fact they're planning to publish Oshur as a new island-based map with some water-based gameplay. I can't find it now but I read recently they were down to a skeleton crew to run the game, like 6 people total, but were able to start hiring new people to work on various things.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

Also you have now reminded me of Zombies Ate My Neighbors, a game I rented like a dozen times as a kid and had somehow almost forgotten

It's a game best left in the hazy joy filled mists of nostalgia

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Phoix posted:

People talking about MMOFPS games and not mentioning Endless Ages. hosed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fyQFmAwCeQ

it's worse than it looks

Yo I have been trying to remember what this game was called for well over a decade now. Me and a couple friends were in the beta, I miss the early days of MMO's and getting weird rear end games like this.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Endless Ages looks like a fantastic fever dream - no idea what’s going on.

god now I’m reminded of Starsiege Tribes and thinking how wild games like that would be with inflated player counts

Did any of you play MasterSword? It was an attempt at an MMO on the Half Life engine. They had a half dozen servers with big maps and your character data was tied to your steam ID - similar to those Warcraft modded CS 1.6 servers. If you ran to a certain spot on a map in one server it would redirect you to the other one, unless it was full.
Oh, and it was a free mod.
A quick YouTube search and apparently there was continued development for a while? I don’t remember it being called MasterSword Continued…

https://youtu.be/A9UDkSgl_S0

low fidelity, high style, strong netcode - that’ll be the next interesting MMO with groundswell if I had to guess

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
The talk of of MMOFPS games set off a stray neuron and holy poo poo WW2OL is still up and running.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Itzena posted:

The talk of of MMOFPS games set off a stray neuron and holy poo poo WW2OL is still up and running.

Does anyone even still play it though? I don't understand how its still running. I would probably check it out if it had anything to actually do, and AI to shoot.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm still on their mailing list because it's a fun piece of nostalgia that pops up in my inbox every few months, it's still going strong last I checked. It doesn't have huge numbers, but there are enough diehards that it'll probably last forever.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
One of my roommates played WW2OL back when it launched for a while. I'm pretty sure he said that for a while after launch, placement of scenery such as bushes and trees were randomly generated client side. This meant that you might think you are hiding prone in some bushes, but to your opponent you're just lying out in the middle of the grass.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I mean, technically everyone should be going off the same RNG seed, so getting the bushes in the same places unless their RNG is bugged.

Chev fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 8, 2022

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I was just thinking about this a few minutes ago: Is WoW now the "Hardcore" PvE game? I remember when it came out it was praised for being less of a poop-socking timesink than EQ. What's EQ's endgame like these days? I haven't played WoW in a long time but I know there's tons of rep grind and daily quests and Conduit Energy or whatever and to stay on top of things at end game is a big grindy timesink. Never played EQ enough to get to endgame. Has WoW surpassed even EQ in this regard?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

God I loving loved Space Cowboys/Ace Combat, the combat was so much fun and the fireworks were so shiny. Shame about the massive, massive grinds and other lovely kmmo mechanics :smith:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Itzena posted:

https://web.archive.org/web/20010628043728/http://lumthemad.net/ww2log.html

If only we had live video streaming 20 years ago...

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
A new mmo just hit and let me just say, 'Chinese furry second life from the makers of PUBG' with a character creator as fun as city of heroes.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Third World Reagan posted:

A new mmo just hit and let me just say, 'Chinese furry second life from the makers of PUBG' with a character creator as fun as city of heroes.

:eyepop:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
What the gently caress is that

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Umm please share what game this is?????????

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
finally we have our answer to the thread title: yes

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

I said come in! posted:

Umm please share what game this is?????????

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990199

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

kirbysuperstar posted:

finally we have our answer to the thread title: yes
Didn't the GotY thread do that? :haw:

OxygenO2
Jan 4, 2021

Spam Musubi posted:

League of Legends MMO called RUNETERRA

I would actually play this.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

OxygenO2 posted:

I would actually play this.

Well good news, they're working on one.

Name (and everything else, really...) TBD though.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FrostyPox posted:

I was just thinking about this a few minutes ago: Is WoW now the "Hardcore" PvE game? I remember when it came out it was praised for being less of a poop-socking timesink than EQ. What's EQ's endgame like these days? I haven't played WoW in a long time but I know there's tons of rep grind and daily quests and Conduit Energy or whatever and to stay on top of things at end game is a big grindy timesink. Never played EQ enough to get to endgame. Has WoW surpassed even EQ in this regard?

I don't know about current EQ, but if it still doesn't have any instances it wins by default.

I honestly would love to see a MMO that has dungeons where you can do it instanced, so everyone can knock out quests, but it always has a non-instanced version that people can camp.
The potential items found in non-instanced versions would be unique only to them. That feeling of running into people in giant dungeons is always exciting, and same when you snag the camp for a really neat item.

They also need to do away with everyone having the ability to zip around the entire world like it's nothing. Design your worlds where travelling is both dangerous and rewarding.

Both of these lead me to believe there will never be a good MMO again.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I like modern "narrative" MMO dungeons but man I do miss the days of running around awful places like Wailing Caverns and Blackrock Depths

Reminds me I should reinstall EQ just to explore Unrest. I never did back in the day and since you level so fast now and it's like a level 20 dungeon IIRC I could do it in a weekend, probably.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
EQ2 has my all time favorite dungeons I think, they have plenty of instances but also tons of open world dungeons. EQ2 had/has a bunch of fun poo poo to do with other people, heritage quests for unique items, various other questlines for unique stuff, open world dungeons, instances, named mobs in the open world for AA exp and loot, etc.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FrostyPox posted:

I like modern "narrative" MMO dungeons but man I do miss the days of running around awful places like Wailing Caverns and Blackrock Depths

vault of night and the loving pit in DDO are still two of the best dungeons around imo. so much backtracking, stupid insane puzzles, and of course death traps lmfao. just the absolute best at being the worst. to add to the clusterfuck, vault of night is also a raid, so you're in there with up to 11 complete strangers lol

as much as i love ff14, i really wish the dungeons weren't as much of a 3 boss corridor like once per expansion. not a lot, just enough to throw a curveball at you now and then

DangerDongs posted:

I honestly would love to see a MMO that has dungeons where you can do it instanced, so everyone can knock out quests, but it always has a non-instanced version that people can camp.
The potential items found in non-instanced versions would be unique only to them. That feeling of running into people in giant dungeons is always exciting, and same when you snag the camp for a really neat item.

lineage 2 now (now being the last 10 years or so) has instanced bosses. the only reason to do dungeons is to get to a boss in the first place so they just place you at the boss. however, said bosses are still present in their overworld dungeon locations, and the instanced ones have a low chance of dropping anything unique and are also time gated, so if you're in it for the loot not just the fight you definitely want to do the overworld one as often as possible.

also, a couple big world bosses (open world raids, really) like the giant dragons etc are still only available in the overworld, have a respawn timer of like a week or more and, most importantly, spawn at a random time between 19:00-21:00 in the server timezone (so primetime, really) to ensure the maximum clusterfuck lmao

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I actually like Blackrock Depths and wish it went further, sort of like an underworld or megadungeon from tabletop games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

it kinda did if you count molten core