Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

What about the bonus situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'll cross post my review of the board game if no one minds

Board game is pretty cool and my son liked it too

PROS:
- Does a good job capturing the tension (most times) of the movie
- Fairly nice balance of making you calculate your decisions on a turn and forcing tough decisions
- Neat differences between the characters that add a little flavor
- Adding Ash adds a LOT of much needed variety and challenge.
- Reasonably simple rules (more on that in a minute) and a short rulebook
- Cooperative gameplay is nice and makes sense, leading to some good debates and teamwork discussion
- So far, every game has unfolded differently (more on that too)

CONS:
- A few rules are just a tad vague and had to be worked out by playing a few times, mostly the "run 3 spaces during an encounter" and then getting MORE encounters along the way.
- Needs MORE missions and cards. I can see the game getting old and "used up" very quickly. Expansion packs and the especially the addition of face huggers are sorely needed. Needs more everything tbh.
- Since the set up is the same every game, they should print starting item icons on the board in their respective rooms. I'll probably just do this myself but a legend would be nice.
- Really needs crew member deaths - for gameplay sake and also to mimic the film. Even if it's just "3 Alien encounters = dead" or something. I might house rule that but I've read it messes with game play balance.
- No vents?

Weirdest thing to me is that the game is actually harder with more crew members, or at least has played out that way for me so far.

We also got a little orange cat figure for Jones and my kid has a little Xeno toy that makes shreiking sounds that he played whenever there was an encounter. WE also briefly played with the lights out, one of those stat planet constellation lamp things and used little flashlights on our last game just for some atmosphere.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

BiggerBoat posted:

Weirdest thing to me is that the game is actually harder with more crew members, or at least has played out that way for me so far.

This tracks tbh, all the Alien movies start out with a bunch of clowns thinking they’ll be safe in numbers and then at the end one woman kicks all the aliens rear end

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

skasion posted:

This tracks tbh, all the Alien movies start out with a bunch of clowns thinking they’ll be safe in numbers and then at the end one woman kicks all the aliens rear end

The inverse ninja space trucker law

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

skasion posted:

I think from the standpoint of the game play mechanics, it's because more characters drastically increases the # of alien encounters and the morale tracker that counts as "hit points" is a collective tally. Ostensibly, this if offset by being able to collect more items and weapons but I don't think it balances that way and I did 4 playthroughs.

With one character, solo, just to learn the rules and without using Ash, it was real easy. With 2 players and no Ash it was harder but still easy. 2 players with Ash considerably harder (we lost) and with 2 players using 2 characters each we got wrecked. It's kind of why I think the game needs a character death element.

I might give it a go solo and use multiple characters next to test this out.

It's fun and anyone posting here would probably like it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I kind of like that it's set up so players can't die and thus sit the rest of the game out but quick and dirty proposal for how you could do death that would need a lot of playtesting:

A player's pawn is "cornered" when they cannot flee 3 spaces in at least 2 directions. A player who encounters the alien while cornered takes a Wound Token and is moved to Medical. A player who would take a second Wound Token is instead "killed" and removed from the game.

If the remaining players accomplish the final mission, whether that player "loses" individually or shares in victory as a noble sacrifice for the rest of the crew is up to how they want to tell the story.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

How do you lose/what happens when you run out of morale?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
You should check out the game's page on BGG for suggestions, rules variants, etc. Consensus leans towards 3 players as the best.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/332321/alien-fate-nostromo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BiggerBoat posted:

We also got a little orange cat figure for Jones and my kid has a little Xeno toy that makes shreiking sounds that he played whenever there was an encounter. WE also briefly played with the lights out, one of those stat planet constellation lamp things and used little flashlights on our last game just for some atmosphere.

:3: That's adorable.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

How do you lose/what happens when you run out of morale?

The team loses to the alien.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1480246318538928132

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

:shuckyes:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Who will life escaping and who is bad milk robot indeed?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

https://soundcloud.com/user-7104377...=social_sharing

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Holy loving lmao, pro click

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Gonna call runners Space Noodles from now on

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Mods, please rename me 'Bad Milk Blood Robot' ta.

That's almost as good as the legendary Batman Begins KO blurb.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sentinel Red posted:

Mods, please rename me 'Bad Milk Blood Robot' ta.

That's almost as good as the legendary Batman Begins KO blurb.

Please share :allears:

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

"egg demon is come when eat bad noodle" is a pretty good description of a bad experience i had the other night with some leftover thai food.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

"Seven friends and cat all try to find egg demon"

The seven friends did the looking, Jonesy the cat was just supervising :v:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Xenomrph posted:

Please share :allears:

Surprised you're not already familiar with it, Xeno. It's so good I refuse to believe it wasn't intentional:

Spiderman, protector of Gete!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Is Avatar in the same universe as Aliens?

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"Seven friends and cat all try to find egg demon"

The seven friends did the looking, Jonesy the cat was just supervising :v:

Jonesy found the alien first, he just hissed and noped right out of there to let the humans deal with it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

Surprised you're not already familiar with it, Xeno. It's so good I refuse to believe it wasn't intentional:

Spiderman, protector of Gete!

Now I want to see the Earth-2 counterpart to the Abnormal Drug Trafficker

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

numberoneposter posted:

Avatar isn’t even in the same universe as Avatar.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Thinking About Egg Demons (the movie)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

numberoneposter posted:

It's the 100 page anniversary of a fun chat about that

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I picked up Fireteam Elite again now that they've ironed out a lot of the bugs a from launch and while it's not a good game it's pretty fun. The environments and sounds are straight out of the movies which is pretty cool. It's pretty similar to the recent Terminator game where you can tell the team behind it had a passion for the franchise.

It fun mowing down droves of bug.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

It had to be done.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
:vince:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

:perfect:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

By that logic, Bishop is good milk blood robot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:3: That's adorable.

It really is. I think games like this help with his disabilities. He plays chess too and sometimes surprisingly well.

Except now he will only play the Nostromo game in the dark with flashlights and, since I added it, with the score/soundtrack from Alien on loop. He won't play with me now unless it's dark.

We lost our little plastic cat but he made a new one out of lego. He's about to turn 11, has mild autism and ADHD but he's surprisingly picked up on the game mechanics and strategy really well. Saved our rear end last night on the last turn. The same game makers also made a JAWS game that looks cool so he's getting that for his birthday and, if he likes that one, I can move him into a D&D board game (I own the Legend of Drizzt and the Ravenloft one) and also, since he loves zombie poo poo and Dracula, I can ease him into Last Night on Earth or Touch of Evil.

I can't figure out who actually plays this game though. There's little mention of it here, the other Alien thread or the board game thread either. Board Game Geek has some posts and alternate rules from players as well as the designer himself but anyone who likes Alien and cooperative board games should honestly check Nostromo out.

Only thing holding it back is a few wonky unclear rules and probably not enough missions and poo poo to sustain it long term but it's real fun and can be played solo too so go check it out, nerds.

We took one Jonesy encounter (there are 2) and made it a face hugger so the houserule is that when you it that fucker, you lose a point, have to go to Medbay and lose turns until another player or Ash can revive you with some scrap tokens. To offset this a little, we allow for the electric prod to fend of Ash whenever he fucks with us. Thematically and game play wise, you really don't need 2 cats.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I bought this officially licenced bottle opener recently, so I can think about Aliens while enjoying a refreshing, cold beverage.

It's not that good, tbh.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

edogawa rando posted:

I bought this officially licenced bottle opener recently, so I can think about Aliens while enjoying a refreshing, cold beverage.

It's not that good, tbh.

*hics*

Hudson, sir. He's Hicks.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Parkingtigers posted:

*hics*

Hudson, sir. He's Hicks.
:golfclap:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I'm confident I'm not the only one ITT who feels that, even after all this time and after all the exposure it's had via movies, video games, etc., that the original design of the xenomorph is still one of the creepiest (and even most disturbing) ever committed to film.

Like sometime last year, I watched someone's Let's Play of Alien: Isolation, and even after having watched the original movie numerous times over the years, having seen numerous documentaries and analysis videos discussing it, and even after 3D printing and painting up some Alien-inspired minis, I still got a little creeped out whenever the xenomorph would drop from the ceiling or show up to slaughter some of the human NPCs. And that was just from me watching someone else's video of them playing the game, not even playing it myself.

It's a real testament to just how accurately Giger tapped into all our primal fears when he originally came up with the xenomorph's design.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:agreed:

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm confident I'm not the only one ITT who feels that, even after all this time and after all the exposure it's had via movies, video games, etc., that the original design of the xenomorph is still one of the creepiest (and even most disturbing) ever committed to film.

Like sometime last year, I watched someone's Let's Play of Alien: Isolation, and even after having watched the original movie numerous times over the years, having seen numerous documentaries and analysis videos discussing it, and even after 3D printing and painting up some Alien-inspired minis, I still got a little creeped out whenever the xenomorph would drop from the ceiling or show up to slaughter some of the human NPCs. And that was just from me watching someone else's video of them playing the game, not even playing it myself.

It's a real testament to just how accurately Giger tapped into all our primal fears when he originally came up with the xenomorph's design.

its our fear of penises. our own and that of The Other. The potential for destruction, and from that creation

take the shape of the aliens head. it looks like a dick. and the balls are the face. and then from the face, another little penis comes out of the mouth, and it ejaculates acid onto you.

ruminate on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Was bored last night so checked out some fan film on YouTube seemingly made from a load of Isolation assets. It wasn’t ‘good’ but I did greatly enjoy the part when a terminal cancer patient took out the creature (for a few moments anyway) with a steel chair to the noggin. Too bad the ship’s computer wasn’t voiced by Jim Ross.