Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I feel like I'd like Bobba's Book more if the entire thing was just chronological.

But then how will you get blown away by the big twist of the Tuskens helping him in the finale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

howe_sam posted:

I thought the first episode was a little flat, but really dug the second. The show isnt quite clicking because they're making present day Boba's true motivations a mystery box, so there isn't much for us to connect with in that plot. Also, and I can't believe I'm going to say this, they could really stand to take a lesson from Arrow and have the flashbacks more closely inform what's going on in the present day (also, I totally wouldn't mind hear Boba say someone has failed this desert). At the moment you've got these two stories running on parallel tracks and there doesn't seem to be anything linking the, together. Which again goes back to the mystery nature of the present day story. I suppose.
Yeah, like is his motivation somehow related to the Tusken Raiders, like he wants to take over so that they have protection or something? I mean, even though it's a basic Dances with Wolves/Avatar plot, I do appreciate fleshing out that faction because they've always been done dirty in the films.
Are we going to get a different set of flashbacks to an earlier time that ties it more into his feelings about his clone/father and some dream they had together?

Like you said, since we don't know, it's just a generic GTA/Saints Row-style "I wanna be the crime boss!" premise, which is fine for a videogame, but kinda "so what?" for a show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When are they going to just steal David Fincher's idea and do a droid/slave rebellion show

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Open Source Idiom posted:

I mean, that's just L O S T. Or pretty much anything else that used isolated flashback episodes prior to the whole multiple ongoing subplots depicting multiple chronologies thing being so easy to do now, what with the normalisation of serialisation.

Oh sure, I just thought it was funnier to compare it to Arrow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yo Yellowjackets got crazy. Got dang.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

howe_sam posted:

I thought the first episode was a little flat, but really dug the second. The show isnt quite clicking because they're making present day Boba's true motivations a mystery box, so there isn't much for us to connect with in that plot. Also, and I can't believe I'm going to say this, they could really stand to take a lesson from Arrow and have the flashbacks more closely inform what's going on in the present day (also, I totally wouldn't mind hear Boba say someone has failed this desert). At the moment you've got these two stories running on parallel tracks and there doesn't seem to be anything linking the, together. Which again goes back to the mystery nature of the present day story. I suppose.

For me, the flashbacks are failing because why are they only flashing back to this Tusken poo poo(and why is he still hanging out with people who basically captured / enslaved him) when they could go to literally any part of his life before this. Might even help to give him any sort of motivation for what he's doing. Arrow style flashbacks would have definitely been an improvement.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

When are they going to just steal David Fincher's idea and do a droid/slave rebellion show

They did a droid rebellion in Solo. Though it got played for laughs, probably to undercut the implications for the entire Star Wars setting of all our loveable droid characters being mind-controlled slaves.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Search Party season 5. What the gently caress?

I suppose you might as well get weird with it if you feel the original idea is played out. Anyway good show, weird though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Owling Howl posted:

Search Party season 5. What the gently caress?

I suppose you might as well get weird with it if you feel the original idea is played out. Anyway good show, weird though.

Yeah, after watching that season I actually went back to season 1 and watched all of it from the beginning. So that was my weekend.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dexter: New Blood had a pretty good finale. Overall the miniseries was good in general, and absolutely a better finale than the original (and really far better than most of the original seasons).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I didn't watch past like episode 5 because all the stuff with his son was so loving boring, goddamn

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Can't throw us one bone, one billionaire called Elam Bust ran over by driverless car in a throwaway background joke, no?

Boy howdy do I have good news for you! Let me tell you about a show called Search Party and my many Elon Tunnel...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1480335825221169155?t=odDOCMvppHviuPQyz9uRPw&s=19

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

gently caress.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Rolling with the angels now

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Holy poo poo what the gently caress?

He was 65?!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh that sucks.

Edit: Dang man. Really sad. He was the TV dad for an entire generation.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 10, 2022

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RIP to a real one, again :smith:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man :( what the gently caress

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Whoa

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's sucking dick for coke with the angels now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rageaholic posted:

RIP to a real one, again :smith:
Yeah. Right before Corona hit I realized that we had pretty much finished up with my Parents' generation of celebrities and we were steadily working into the whole "My Childhood" era of stars passing away.

Sucks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

He's sucking dick for coke with the angels now.

God it's sad that that was the first part I thought of when I heard the news

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Medullah posted:

God it's sad that that was the first part I thought of when I heard the news

He was a comedian, he'd probably be happy that he made you laugh at something he did.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rhyno posted:

Oh that sucks.

Edit: Dang man. Really sad. He was the TV dad for an entire generation.

And for How I Met Your Mother

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Well gently caress. Enjoyed him being on my TV for so many years.

Glad I got to see his stand-up show, but it was filled with frat boys just wanting to hear him curse and talk about sucking dick for coke or whatever

RIP

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Boy howdy do I have good news for you! Let me tell you about a show called Search Party and my many Elon Tunnel...

I've heard goons gush about this show but the name makes me think of a biplane looking for lost people like in Far From Home the adventures of Yellow Dog and eh I just don't like planes that much so never even googled the name. This a good show to watch rich people suffer violently?

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

I've heard goons gush about this show but the name makes me think of a biplane looking for lost people like in Far From Home the adventures of Yellow Dog and eh I just don't like planes that much so never even googled the name. This a good show to watch rich people suffer violently?

Yes.

What you specifically asked for, "tech billionaire and internet personality Elliot Tunnel with his giant borehole to the center of the earth" doesn't appear until season 5 but the whole ride is worth it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apparently the Golden Globes are happening tonight. But they aren't bothering to televise it.

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

New season of Euphoria premiered tonight and hooooooly poo poo. This season is gonna break my heart, I can already feel it.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i watched a couple episodes of search party s1 years ago and it just seemed like a bland girls-type show with a woman in trouble plot bolted on. i'm surprised it's still going.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is the last season and oh boy did the show stop being anything like what you’re describing pretty quickly

I’m only halfway through but jesus this season is batshit

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

hybridnoisebloom posted:

New season of Euphoria premiered tonight and hooooooly poo poo. This season is gonna break my heart, I can already feel it.

I haven’t watched Euphoria before but people on Twitter were talking about how Kodak started making film again for the most recent seasons of Succession and Euphoria to be shot on, and after watching the season finale of Succession and how great it looked I’m curious about Euphoria. Did you notice it looking particularly nice?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's super pretty and grainy as hell, you can definitely tell it's on film

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

hybridnoisebloom posted:

Is that the depression show?

Re: Y:the last man, what was the trans issue? The comic wasn't great tbh.

Those twitter takes sound like parodies tbh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Maybe this is a slightly unusual take, re: Euphoria, but I'm kinda exhausted by Nate's evil bisexual kink weirdness. Elordi is great, but it's like... does anyone else get what I mean?

I wanted to go into more detail about it, but, like, I feel like I'd get pretty aggressively mocked for it so I'm not gonna. Regardless, it's a part of the show that feels kinda exhausting since you know the show's just marking time until it kills him or he develops healthier ways of expressing himself (lol, no, never)

Collateral posted:

Is that the depression show?

Maybe? You're gonna need to be more specific.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Collateral posted:

Re: Y:the last man, what was the trans issue? The comic wasn't great tbh.

People claimed that the Y comic was transphobic because the premise being all animals with a Y chromosome die immediately is summarized as "all men die" which ignores trans women, so the Twitter take was that the comic didn't acknowledge that trans people existed, but in reality the comic brings it up at least a couple times, including at least one trans character and others assuming that Yorick is trans early on. So it was a combination of people who hadn't actually read the comic just repeating that, and also the fact that since trans people weren't placed front and center like in the show, the comic was transphobic even if it did acknowledge them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-_P9DPMuy8

I forgot this was a thing. And it had production problems unrelated to covid so who knows how good it's going to be.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gritty Fresh Prince, gently caress it why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Carlton looks way too cool