Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Wistful of Dollars posted:

at first glance thought it was a banana peel.
It is, the vid is reversed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zippy the Bummer posted:

holy gently caress this is 100% accurate

edit: that dude may as well be me

This is me

I mean the sheep

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

This is me

I mean the sheep

Crack addiction.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/pQ9ol2o.mp4

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ror posted:

Weren't the Byford Dolphin dudes basically just Dr Manhattan-ed into jelly? Of all the fatal underwater incidents, at least that one doesn't involve dying in agony and terror.

one guy was blown through a tiny hatch and turned to jelly. the three other guys inside the compression chamber were intact but with a very sudden and fatal case of their blood boiling in their veins due to pressure differential. basically the same thing that would happen if you were ejected into space, but ten times harder because the guys in the chamber were under heavy pressure. also, there were two guys outside of the chamber, one was killed by being struck by ejected debris/man, and the other severely injured for same reasons

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Each time I think I start thinking of a career change to put my diving training to use, someone posts one of these stories and I'm suddenly glad I don't even have to go to the office nowadays.

The Dolphin was saturation diving, which is a whole different and much scarier kettle of fish than trimix diving, which is in turn way scarier than diving on air.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/V95K5A4.mp4

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Cat Hatter posted:

luckily he landed in the Detroit River

Yeah.... "Lucky".

:barf:

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
A small airplane did a landing on a rail line. Then later on the plane was hit by a train. Looking forward to that NTSB report.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/1-hospitalized-after-single-engine-plane-crashes-near-whiteman-airport-in-sylmar-lafd/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1VM_iFDys

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
why didn't they simply lower the train?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Zero One posted:

Yeah.... "Lucky".

:barf:

Better than the River Rouge.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
NTSB Findings: The airport did not publish the local train schedule to alert pilots of safe and unsafe times to land on the tracks.

Recommendation: The FAA should issue rules requiring NOTAMs be published for all train schedules with 100NM of any airfield.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

waffle iron posted:

A small airplane did a landing on a rail line. Then later on the plane was hit by a train. Looking forward to that NTSB report.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/1-hospitalized-after-single-engine-plane-crashes-near-whiteman-airport-in-sylmar-lafd/

Judging from the caution tape and all the police cars, it seemed like it was there for some time. I guess alerting the train authorities (train traffic controllers?) Isn’t easy in that situation?

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Elon trying out new ideas for his tunnels

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Judging from the caution tape and all the police cars, it seemed like it was there for some time. I guess alerting the train authorities (train traffic controllers?) Isn’t easy in that situation?

It should be? I'm hardly an expert but I've definitely read of other emergencies where the first step of having something stopped on tracks is to contact the train dispatcher and get a halt to traffic. Maybe a random civilian wouldn't be able to do that but the cops and fire department should have that contact info. That's kind of confusing now that you bring it up; most train strike videos you see have the vehicle get stuck with too little time for an official response to arrive.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Log082 posted:

It should be? I'm hardly an expert but I've definitely read of other emergencies where the first step of having something stopped on tracks is to contact the train dispatcher and get a halt to traffic. Maybe a random civilian wouldn't be able to do that but the cops and fire department should have that contact info. That's kind of confusing now that you bring it up; most train strike videos you see have the vehicle get stuck with too little time for an official response to arrive.

I've worked on railroad jobs, and there are usually signs at rural crossings that say stuff like "stuck on the tracks? Call this emergency number and tell them you're at (crossing number) and we'll like totes stop the trains so you don't die or get your car hosed up".

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hold on, why is there another, almost identical looking, car clearly in the other tunnel as well?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

wesleywillis posted:

I've worked on railroad jobs, and there are usually signs at rural crossings that say stuff like "stuck on the tracks? Call this emergency number and tell them you're at (crossing number) and we'll like totes stop the trains so you don't die or get your car hosed up".

Pretty much. Train people really don't want to be running over cars, and usually go pretty far out of their way to stop that happening. To what extent usually depends on how much money is going into public transport in the area, but the efforts normally there.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

dr_rat posted:

Hold on, why is there another, almost identical looking, car clearly in the other tunnel as well?

It's the front of a train covered in shadow. Compare the size of the car when it goes into the other tunnel, the size is very different.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hel posted:

It's the front of a train covered in shadow. Compare the size of the car when it goes into the other tunnel, the size is very different.

They should of stopped their spooky shadow covered trains looking so much like cars then. Blames on them. :colbert:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

wesleywillis posted:

Heh so I called one of those crossing emergency numbers once. There was a crossing right next to my house at the time, and it got hit by lightning in the night that caused it to turn on- lights on, gate came down, and it never shut off. So after about 40 minutes I called the number. It just rang. No answer, no answering machine. A few minutes after that a cop showed up and presumably figured out who to call, because they had a crew out fixing it by daybreak.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Strabo4 posted:

I remember one of the times the Byford Dolphin came up in the thread someone did the calculations and those guys died in like a tenth of the time it takes for your body to relay a signal through your nervous system.

I would love to see the math. Anyone able to find it?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

*my first reaction* there better be sound for this one! :v:
*turns sound on* oh god :gonk:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

This happens pretty regularly in Toronto. At least one of our streetcar lines stops at some underground station platforms, and despite clear signage and sometimes even fences/raised traffic islands separating the streetcar lanes from traffic, every few months someone in an SUV will end up stuck on the tracks, halfway down the tunnel.

Sometimes they even make it into the station platform.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

"Some metal clanging can't be that bad" :smug:

:stonklol:

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

waffle iron posted:

This article has more details and also body-cam footage of the train destroying the plane about 6 seconds after they pull the pilot out

https://www.dailynews.com/2022/01/09/plane-goes-down-near-whiteman-airport-in-pacoima-pilot-pulled-from-wreckage-by-bystanders/amp/

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Nenonen posted:

I don't understand German, is he saying something offensive?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

https://twitter.com/LAPDHQ/status/1480363436311670784

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

El Spamo posted:

I think it's a mild troll they're pulling. From the bit I can guess at, he's saying "from my family" some other stuff I think might be holiday wishes, and I picked up "New Year" in there. People are just acting like it's horrific, when it's essentially an Xmas card

Please don't correct me, should I be way mistaken

Who
Dec 29, 2000

El Spamo posted:

Even worse. It's a German pun. "Wir von Buhurt Family wünschen euch allen einen guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr." ("We at Buhurt Family wish you all a good slide into the new year," which is a German idiom for "Happy New Year")

The Noodle Incident
Aug 23, 2007
I DON’T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!

This is amazing, it's like a delicate ballet, like poetry given form, and the execution is flawless and amazing. The carnival ride is cool too.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Who posted:

Even worse. It's a German pun. "Wir von Buhurt Family wünschen euch allen einen guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr." ("We at Buhurt Family wish you all a good slide into the new year," which is a German idiom for "Happy New Year")

That makes me so happy

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Mozi posted:

why didn't they simply lower the train?

Better to raise the plane usually

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Better to raise the plane usually

"With a treadmill? In this economy?"

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1480059801686220803

I have to go now my planet needs me.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/Yd205vP.mp4

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Paul Simon sings plaintively in the background:

"You know the nearer your destination
The more you're slip slidin' away"

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Well now this is the opposite of chem trails and now im confused

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Bismuth posted:

Well now this is the opposite of chem trails and now im confused

This where they're produced. It's in a big bowl like area and the plane just flies low to scoop them up. Kinda of like reverse crop dusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

dog nougat posted:

This where they're produced. It's in a big bowl like area and the plane just flies low to scoop them up. Kinda of like reverse crop dusting.

:hmmyes: