Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jonny Nox posted:

My first Iain M Banks book was Transitions.

I’ll never read another book with his name on the cover, that poo poo assaulted my psyche in a way I cannot forgive.

My first book by the author was The Wasp Factory, which taught me a lot more about the person who loaned it to me and said it was their favourite book than I wanted to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Really putting out the hard sell. "This game is not for people in a dark period of their lives. If you are looking for a fun game this game is not for you."

This game is not a game of honor...
no highly fun game is commemorated here...
nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This message is a warning about danger.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Steam, so how cursed can it really be if all the sex is consensual?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

ultrafilter posted:

Steam, so how cursed can it really be if all the sex is consensual?

No sex is consensual so long as God himself doesn't approve of it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Facebook Aunt posted:

Really putting out the hard sell. "This game is not for people in a dark period of their lives. If you are looking for a fun game this game is not for you."

This game is not a game of honor...
no highly fun game is commemorated here...
nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This message is a warning about danger.

Oh we have a whole thread for these, where I have duly cross-posted your content.

Terrible Awful Games: Did you somehow activate the fart-fetish by accident?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Yaldabaoth posted:

He thinks a crippled man is still a stronger ruler than a fully healthy woman, and had the female ruler go batshit for no reason and try to genocide everyone.

He also mocked the black footballers who were protesting racial violence by having the female ruler go around and demand people get down on their knees before her.

You can get on GRRM's case for a lot of things, but none of that stuff was in the books (the ones that have been released, that is). The show producers wanted to wrap everything up neatly so they took shortcuts.

Also, what do you have against paraplegics? Do you think FDR was the worst American president?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:nms: for whatever the scorpion version of arachnophobia is:

https://imgur.com/gallery/vW3MDHY

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Probably arachnophobia.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

trapped mouse posted:

Also, what do you have against paraplegics? Do you think FDR was the worst American president?

It's just the implication that even a man with severe disabilities is still inherently better than a woman even if she can do stuff that the man's disabilities prevent him from doing, such as running a marathon.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
FDR also signed off on Executive Order 9066, so he ain't a saint in any measure.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Memento posted:

My first book by the author was The Wasp Factory, which taught me a lot more about the person who loaned it to me and said it was their favourite book than I wanted to know.

i was going to recommend that one! try it op, it's a real tear jerker.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

uber_stoat posted:

i was going to recommend that one! try it op, it's a real tear jerker.

It's a real tear jerker in the sense that you'll tear up when I jerk it out of your hands to prevent you from having to read it

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Captain Hygiene posted:

when I jerk it out of your hands to prevent you from having to read it

Should I not read the copy I have? Is it too miserable or what

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Snowy posted:

lmao

quote:

The Irish Times called it "a work of unparalleled depravity."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Snowy posted:

It's miserable and edgily gross and violent, also it ends with a surprise reveal that messily adds transgender issues until the mix solely for shock value

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's miserable and edgily gross and violent, also it ends with a surprise reveal that messily adds transgender issues until the mix solely for shock value

Ok I’m actually happy to know that, I’ve had my fill of needlessly disturbing fiction for a while

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
A lot of Banks' work is really dark. The only sort-of upbeat one I can remember is The Crow Road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqBKQgTLJuc&t=165s

Even his disturbing stuff has some hilarious scenes though, like the bit in Whit where the heroine fights some Nazis with a squirt gun filled with Tabasco sauce.

e: Feersum Endjinn is also on the lighter side, if you can deal with the phonetically written chapters.

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 10, 2022

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Captain Hygiene posted:

It is, which is why I loved it as an edgy teen, though I disagree with the spoiler. I don't think Banks was intentionally attempting to take on those issues specifically so much as explore an inverse of the case of David Reimer, as it was rudimentarily understood in the 80s as a 'success' of the same kind of gender gaslighting. I didn't take it purely as shock value, but the precise idea he wanted to explore - what happens when you gaslight someone into a different gender and instead it just causes body dysmorphia and mental health issues (spoiler for real life: it does cause those).
It's definitely the book of his that has aged the worst, being so tightly inspired by a real life case that would a decade later be revealed to be absolutely horrific on its own without needing all the edgy poo poo to 'heighten' it, with the surrounding scientific understanding and cultural sentiment also completely changing over the following decades.

______________________________________/

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Goddamn. If I looked a bit better i could just eat some lactose, a single grain of wheat, and some apples and I'd either blow my gastric cavity into oblivion and end up in ER or I'd be selling the purest quality product my customers had ever smellt

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

what happens if u flip the switch

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

There's a crane that lifts up.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Yaldabaoth posted:

It's just the implication that even a man with severe disabilities is still inherently better than a woman even if she can do stuff that the man's disabilities prevent him from doing, such as running a marathon.

I don’t know what argument you think you’re making itt, but basing it on a premise of “disabled men are lesser than non-disabled men” is awkward and bad.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/ArturScienceNew/status/1480573545721876486?t=qEpL058Qen3mQQsJo0X9sw&s=19

This might be the most hosed up thing I've posted in here.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

MrUnderbridge posted:

The switches are already in the up position :heysexy:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I've got this thread bookmarked but I haven't read it in forever cos it's disturbing and I'm p sure the tag didn't used to be "snacks" but I gotta say that's gross af and makes it even more disturbing and now I'm never gonna read it again thanks

p.s. it doesn't help that I was already fighting nausea bc I took too much opiates and don't really have a tolerance

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 11, 2022

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

The next one will run on the blood of workers and it must kill ever more and faster to stay alive

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

we already have capitalism

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

we already have capitalism

and hopefully someday it will be behind glass in a museum

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

MrUnderbridge posted:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/YouKnowLydia/status/1480641980334026760?s=20

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Blessed if you don't like Paul:

:nws:

https://i.imgur.com/mqgOxK4.png

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

They say Yoko broke up the Beatles, but the signs were always there

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Busket Posket posted:

I don’t know what argument you think you’re making itt, but basing it on a premise of “disabled men are lesser than non-disabled men” is awkward and bad.

It's George Martin who's saying that women are lesser than disabled men.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Influence.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Yaldabaoth posted:

No sex is consensual so long as God himself doesn't approve of it.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Yaldabaoth posted:

It's George Martin who's saying that women are lesser than disabled men.

Ah alright, you're just trolling. Ashamed I even fell for the bait.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Ha ha yes, eat poo poo Paul. :coolspot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Erectus Prime made the other Autobots feel inadequate so he found the deepest hole on Cybertron and ...