Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why did Jim Lee always put like weird circuit poo poo all over Wolverine’s skeleton when parts of it were visible? Smooth shiny metal looks better and weirder. Wolverine doesn’t need electronics.
He envisioned the "grafting" process as done in chunks for some reason and the cool circuits probably drew from like processor images as a reference??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I remember him dusting a team of Graviton (!), Titania, Goliath (the evil one, I think he was later Atlas in Thunderbolts) and the Brothers Grimm (what if the Joker mixed with Hobgoblin but were brothers and a D-level threat).....

By himself. In a loving laugher. Appropriately, they were pissed.

I could have sworn he took them all out individually with extreme ease (except maybe Graviton)...

I looked. Graviton fought him before he got the Universe powers as part of Acts of Vengeance, and left after he thought he killed him. Then Spider Man got the powers, trashed everyone else (and the Trapster), lost them, then Graviton broke them all out and they went after Spider Man as a team, without his Captain Universe powers.

He still beat them, because he's Spider Man. And it turns out even having the insane potential of gravity powers doesn't help you if you get sucker punched and taken out immediately.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

FilthyImp posted:

He envisioned the "grafting" process as done in chunks for some reason and the cool circuits probably drew from like processor images as a reference??

Probably thought it'd be the next spaghetti web. Spaghetti web is such a weirdly cool thing. Can't even describe why.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Cornwind Evil posted:

I could have sworn he took them all out individually with extreme ease (except maybe Graviton)...

I looked. Graviton fought him before he got the Universe powers as part of Acts of Vengeance, and left after he thought he killed him. Then Spider Man got the powers, trashed everyone else (and the Trapster), lost them, then Graviton broke them all out and they went after Spider Man as a team, without his Captain Universe powers.

He still beat them, because he's Spider Man. And it turns out even having the insane potential of gravity powers doesn't help you if you get sucker punched and taken out immediately.

Don't rely on that last strategy always working. Just ask the Thunderbolts near the end of their first run. At least any of the ones still alive.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why did Jim Lee always put like weird circuit poo poo all over Wolverine’s skeleton when parts of it were visible? Smooth shiny metal looks better and weirder. Wolverine doesn’t need electronics.

Some sci-fi artists love things smooth and sleek and some loving love greebles

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Where do I go to continue Snyder’s Justice League after issue 39? It feels like the story just stops.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Beerdeer posted:

Where do I go to continue Snyder’s Justice League after issue 39? It feels like the story just stops.

The four part miniseries Year of The Villain: Hell Arisen, then Death Metal (and likely its tie ins).

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Many thanks.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

thetoughestbean posted:

Some sci-fi artists love things smooth and sleek and some loving love greebles

Jim Lee drawing Wolverine's skeleton like it's a Star Wars ship.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

So I decided, on a whim, to try and list every single "Goblin" in the Marvel Universe. By 'Goblin', I mean "Flies on a foot-based jetpack, throws bombs, other weapons and powers vary": they don't have to actually have 'goblin' in their name.

So, we have

Green Goblin (of course)(Norman and Harry Osbourne, Harry's psychiatrist Bart Hamilton, Phil Urich, and an unnamed clone being Norman used to fly around in the Goblin outfit to make it seem like he wasn't the Green Goblin, it was never given a name and it had melted when Spider Man unmasked it, hence no face to show)
Red Goblin (Norman wielding the Carnage symbiote)
Hobgoblin (Roderick Kingsley, Ned Leeds (against his will), Jason Macendale, Phil Urich when he became a bad guy, others)
Jack O'Lantern (Macendale, others?) (Apparently adopted more Goblin aspects later, original Lanterns used some sort of high tech 'pogo boards'. Wonder if that had been inspired by Pogo Balls?)
Demogoblin (Demon spirit that basically 'copied' Jason Macendale's setup)
Grey Goblin (Gabriel Stacy)
Goblin Queen (intended to be for Sarah Stacy, but not used by her, used by others? Not to be confused with Madeline Pryor, who was the "GoBLYN Queen.")
Menace (Lily Hollister)
Monster (Carlie Cooper, against her will)
Goblin Knight/King (Norman Osbourne, Phil Urich, others? Essentially just a name change and color palette swap with maybe an extra toy or two, like Urich's flaming sword)
Hobgoblin 2211 (Robin Borne, from another universe and future, hence the name, it's after the year)

MCU2

Green Goblin III (Normie Osbourne, swiftly abandoned the mantle)
Golden Goblin (Phil Urich, who stayed on the side of the angels in this universe. He briefly adopted this identity when he returned to heroing, but for some reason swiftly went back to being the Green Goblin. Pity, I rather like the name "Golden Goblin")

Marvel 2099

Green Goblin (Jennifer D'Angelo) (she did not use a glider however)

What If: Spider Island

Iron Goblin (Tony Stark. Hey, Norman stole his gimmick, turnabout is fair play)

There was also a 'Proto-Goblin', but he didn't fly on a glider and throw bombs, instead basically being a crazy red monster.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 18, 2022

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Cornwind Evil posted:

So I decided, on a whim, to try and list every single "Goblin" in the Marvel Universe. By 'Goblin', I mean "Flies on a foot-based jetpack, throws bombs, other weapons and powers vary": they don't have to actually have 'goblin' in their name.

So, we have

Green Goblin (of course)(Norman and Harry Osbourne, Harry's psychiatrist Bart Hamilton, Phil Urich, and an unnamed clone being Norman used to fly around in the Goblin outfit to make it seem like he wasn't the Green Goblin, it was never given a name and it had melted when Spider Man unmasked it, hence no face to show)
Red Goblin (Norman wielding the Carnage symbiote)
Hobgoblin (Roderick Kingsley, Ned Leeds (against his will), Jason Macedale, Phil Urich when he became a bad guy, others)
Jack O'Lantern (Macedale, others?)
Demogoblin (Demon spirit that basically 'copied' Jason Macedale's setup)
Grey Goblin (Gabriel Stacy)
Goblin Queen (intended to be for Sarah Stacy, but not used by her, used by others? Not to be confused with Madeline Pryor, who was the "GoBLYN Queen.")
Menace (Lily Hollister)
Monster (Carlie Cooper, against her will)

MCU2

Green Goblin III (Normie Osbourne, swiftly abandoned the mantle)
Golden Goblin (Phil Urich, who stayed on the side of the angels in this universe. He briefly adopted this identity when he returned to heroing, but for some reason swiftly went back to being the Green Goblin. Pity, I rather like the name "Golden Goblin")

There was also a 'Proto-Goblin', but he didn't fly on a glider and throw bombs, instead basically being a crazy red monster.

Wasn't there a Homeless guy that Norman Osborn kidnapped and made become a Green Goblin to throw people off his scent that he was the Green Goblin.

Oh and I suppose technically there was one Spider-man What If story where the Spider Queen won the Spider Island story line.
The only way for the Avengers to fight back was to dose themselves up with a variety of different powers to make them immune to being controlled by Spider-queen. So you had Hulk using Curt Connors serum to become a Lizard Hulk. Captain Marvel made herself into a Living Vampire. And Tony Stark dosed himself up with the Green Goblin serum to become Iron Goblin.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Since you're listing same characters in different identities, Phil Urich went by both Goblin Knight and Goblin King in Superior Spider-Man/Slott's ASM. IIRC it's just a white and blue Hobgoblin palette swap.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Later versions of Jack O'Lantern fit the criteria but earlier ones did not have a jet glider, nor bombs I think. He rode a "pogo board" that bounced off the ground or walls.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Don't forget the heroic Green Goblin 2099 he was cool

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Turns out 'he' was actually a she.

Green Goblin 2099 also made me remember Hobgoblin 2211.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Am I making this up or was there a character called Hemogoblin?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Am I making this up or was there a character called Hemogoblin?

Yes, but he was a minor DC villain. Apparently he was a white supremacist vampire who showed up in the New Guardians.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Yes, but he was a minor DC villain. Apparently he was a white supremacist vampire who showed up in the New Guardians.

Was this before or after Snowflame, the man of cocaine?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Hemo-Goblin was New Guardians #1.
Snowflame was New Guardians #2.
Steve Englehart was not allowed to write New Guardians #3-up.

But don't worry, Englehart credits himself for paving the way for Milestone by writing an issue and a half of New Guardians!

quote:

MILLENNIUM spawned a new series starring the heroes created therein. It was supposed to be an advance in comics comparable to COYOTE™ - the next step in a more realistic approach to superheroes - and to that end I got a promise from the highest powers at DC that I could do sex, drugs, and politics, unhindered.
I put all those into the first issue and they were taken out. I went to the man who'd given me the promise and he reneged. So I walked away.

But my insistance on including a gay hero, first in MILLENNIUM and then here, paid off down the line when DC founded a sub-line called Milestone and allowed it to use gay issues with no interference from above.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

Hemo-Goblin was New Guardians #1.
Snowflame was New Guardians #2.
Steve Englehart was not allowed to write New Guardians #3-up.

But don't worry, Englehart credits himself for paving the way for Milestone by writing an issue and a half of New Guardians!

This is kind of interesting seeing DC's move to have some titles be "For Mature Readers" as you talked about a bit in the DC thread.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Who was the gay hero?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Extraño. You know, the guy from South America whose name means "strange" in Spanish, who Englehart wrote as the swishiest queen ever, and who ended up HIV-positive after the aforementioned Hemo-Goblin bit him.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Madkal posted:

This is kind of interesting seeing DC's move to have some titles be "For Mature Readers" as you talked about a bit in the DC thread.
I assume that they didn't want the big book spinning out of their summer event to be one of those "mature readers" books, there was a lot of conversation in the industry around this time (1986-1988) about censorship/ratings systems/etc. It was part of what made Alan Moore quit DC, was the topic of con panels and full issues of magazines like Comics Journal and Comics Interview, etc.

There's also the whole issue of "mature readers" where I don't know exactly what Englehart had in mind for the "maturity" but there are old (early 1980s) interviews/examples of Englehart Unleashed in indie comics and prose where when talking about what you "can't do" in superhero comics boiling down to showing people smoking dope and having sex with two hot women who are sisters, so who knows exactly what DC editors objected to/wouldn't let Englehart do even as Watchmen and the Question were getting greenlit.

Dawgstar posted:

Who was the gay hero?
The gay hero was Gregorio de la Vega, a flamboyant Peruvian hairdresser whose character arc is
Millennium #2: Summoned to be a new guardian, blows them off because he'd rather drink and dance
Millennium #3: After getting drunk, he decides everyone despises him and he despises himself so he's going to jump off a pier and kill himself but Wally West saves him and tells him he doesn't "deserve to die"
Millennium #4: After sobering up and bragging about how fabulous his clothes are, agrees to become a New Guardian
Millennium #6: All of the New Guardians connect in DREAMTIME thanks to the "Aborigine" woman who is part of their group, Gregario gets excited because everything is connected
Millennium #7: Gregorio learns tai chi, and thinks "I can use the gentle side of me, instead of having SOMEONE ELSE do it--!"
Millennium #8: Before transforming he warns everyone "There are people out there who hate me! I could hurt you-- hurt your team!" and then gets turned into EXTRANO THE WITCH!

That's it for the event proper, he appears on like a dozen pages and has slightly fewer lines of dialogue. The closest he comes to being explicitly gay is in the first issue of New Guardians where he says "Basically, my darling ones, we're here to pass along our new DNA -- or to put it on a more practical level -- to have kiddies! Or you are -- I'm certainly not! I don't know what I'm here for! But you're here to breed." Then later after Harbinger seems bothered by his comments about how everyone needs to have sex he tells her "Listen, honey, your old auntie's here to tell you, sex can be highly overrated! It took me years to figure out what I wanted, so take your time!" and then the Hemo-goblin attacks and gives Extrano and most of his teammates AIDS.

Englehart's off scripting the book (they use his plot for issue 2) where Extrano is the one Guardian who knows anything about HIV/AIDS, and then in issue 7 he goes back to Peru to visit the graves of all of his "amigos" who he lost to "this vile scourge" (AIDS) when he gets struck by lightning and discovers a crystal skull in the graveyard that powers him up and perhaps coincidentally significantly buffs him up and butches up his look and demeanor.

Then he disappears for several years and is basically killed off-panel in Green Lantern in 1993 and not mentioned again until Steve Orlando brought him back as a supporting character in Midnighter a few years back.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In mild defence of the codename, I think Englehart might have been going for what Orlando later leaned into, a gay Dr Strange stand in rather than meaning it as a veiled slur.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

E&C, do you have a photographic memory on the level of Taskmaster? Even a fast and gifted researcher would take a while to answer questions so how quickly you respond makes it seem like it's all up in ol' noggin already.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It's hard to really read Englehart's intentions with the character given how little he ultimately wrote of Extrano, and also how he talked then and now about how compromised and cut short his vision was, even though that shifts depending on the telling.

Lots and lot of stuff is on the internet/available digitally. And knowing where to look/having a general idea of timelines/industry history is helpful. Here is an excerpt from a 1988 "Gays in Comics" series of columns Andy Mangels wrote for Amazing Heroes (issue 144)

quote:

Englehart says he did not get much editorial direction for [Extrano], although he did supposedly get some minor editorial interference... "There were some lines changed as they went through Andy Helfer's office. The one that comes so clearly to mind is in the last chapter when Betty's spirit enters Gregorio's body. I originally wrote something like "I always knew there was a woman inside of me." That got changed into "It's as though she was inside of me."

"The character in Millennium was," says Keith Giffen, "at least of my way of thinking an absolute atrocity and set the cause of doing gay characters in comics back at least ten ears. It was like hitting one on the head with a hammer. It was even offensive to me, and it takes a lot to offend me. ... It was horrible. He was almost as bad as Vibe in the old Justice League. It was stereotyped, and I think if comics are going to mature we have to get away from stereotypes and start having a richness of characters."

"I think homosexuality is something everyone has an opinion on," says Englehart. "And my opinion is, who gives a poo poo? I was trying to write a credible person who was gay. I've heard third hand that other people have said "this guy is not representative of all people." I say, "That's right, he's not supposed to be." he's just one guy, and he's one guy who happens to be gay. I didn't set out to make him an icon of all homosexual males. I don't think I was perpetuating a stereotype. There are flamboyant homosexuals. Is doing one perpetuating a stereotype? I reject the argument that he is stereotyped, there are plenty of people like this!

Later in the article Englehart claims that the whole thing got pushback because Andy Hefler "didn't like homosexuals" and wanted Extrano to be "cured" and etc. which Hefler vehemently denies in same article. The whole article/survey is kind of interesting, touching on indie comics, Northstar, Maggie Sawyer, X-Men-as-gay-metaphor, and other stuff I either forgot or never knew about (gay subplots in Levitz's Legion and Grell's Green Arrow).

UPDATE: Both parts of this article are up on Andy Mangels's website if you want to read them. Scroll down to the bottom of this recap of all of his SDCC panels for the PDFs.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 18, 2022

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The lesbian Legionnaires plot was kind of odd. Not for the characters involved who were getting about as heavily hinted at being gay as you could get in an 80's book. However after what felt like a lead up to them "coming out", there's a very sudden hard swerve into one of them being really into a boy. I'd say you could feel the editorial mandate, except Paul Levitz was the publisher so if he wanted Light Lass and Shrinking Violet (I think it was those two, one was definitely LL) to be at least bi then there would be nothing stopping him. I suspect he started getting pushback from other sources and caved.

One of the only good things in the Five Years Later Legion is those two wind up together in the end.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

One of the only good things in the Five Years Later Legion is those two wind up together in the end.

I think they're also together in the run Levitz wrote some years ago in the mid 00s but like that entire run nothing is much done with it. I mean, they're more obviously together but they still don't even kiss I don't think.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Recently read the 80s Peacekeeper miniseries and thought it was really boring. I know Kupperberg also did Vigilante, was that one any better?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

radlum posted:

Recently read the 80s Peacekeeper miniseries and thought it was really boring. I know Kupperberg also did Vigilante, was that one any better?

You won't like it

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The current Green Lantern conversation in the movie thread made me wonder about Marvel. I know there's two Hawkeyes. There's two Wolverines. Are there two Captains America currently? Is there anywhere else in Marvel that's tried to tackle legacy and handing down a mantle?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

The current Green Lantern conversation in the movie thread made me wonder about Marvel. I know there's two Hawkeyes. There's two Wolverines. Are there two Captains America currently? Is there anywhere else in Marvel that's tried to tackle legacy and handing down a mantle?

There's been a bunch of Captain Marvels.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Two Thors.

Two Hulks.

Iron Man had legacy with War Machine and Rescue.

Loki kinda did legacy with a single character.

Spider-Man is more about a family of Spideys than legacy, but Miles kinda fits it.

There was a time not long ago where every character had a legacy version.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh yeah THOR.

Eric Masterson, Red Norvell, Jane Foster, Beta Ray Bill, Throgg.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Lady Punisher

Lady Stiltman

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There are like 43 Captain Americas now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vision, Vin, and Vivian

Iron Man also has Ironheart

Deadpool has a whole grip of legacies

Captains America

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I feel like Jane is Thor, but Beta Ray Bill is not Thor. That's probably bullshit, but I'm sticking to it. There are more Captains Marvel than Carol and Mar-Vell?

I feel stupid for forgetting we have two Spider-Mans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

There are more Captains Marvel than Carol and Mar-Vell?

Well, there are two Misses Marvel.