Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to project mooovies for cows on one of the barn walls

your concept here is very fuzzed by money, I think you might be a cow tool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

ekuNNN posted:

Those headsets use two lenses that work to fill the vision for your two eyes, strapping two normal headsets over the two eyes of a cow like that wouldn't work at all stupid turkish farmer :argh:

maybe he’s trying to write off a bunch of be headsets on his taxes

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

there arent multiple quantum universes, quantum effects exist because you cant predict the future so how could you measure where something is going to be. instead theres a range of possibilities that intersects with every other range and creates our reality

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mistermojo posted:

there arent multiple quantum universes

you can't prove that so I'm free to make any wild speculation I want :colbert:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

IMO conceiving of a universe is a side effect of consciousness more than an accurate label to what's going on.

It's such a non-specific infinite umbrella term that we may as well (and frequently do describe) the phenomenon as, "infinite intersecting universes based on how many conscious beings are in <that> mesh."

In fact unless I'm mistaken that'd be the ceiling of the concept itself, in terms of loose individual perception.

Waffle House has issued a correction as of 18:22 on Jan 9, 2022

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Rutibex posted:

not true, it implies that consciousness is a higher order phenomena than material objects.

you have a tall order convincing me consciousness doesn't actually exist and it's just my brain expressing things to you. cuz I'm experiencing things right now, trust me

That's what a p-zombie would say.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

EM this is kind of a personal question, but for all my posting hullaballoo, I forgot to ask:

When you say you're a "legitimate cyborg," what exactly is your prosthesis and how did it all come about? You don't often meet people who have them.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
quantum consciousness is such a horrifyingly stupid idea i jusREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE222

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

bro you're here with us, its ok, we got your back.

if its any consolation, the raw kgcwquantum truth:
at any moment, nothing can potentially truly matter, but you are, in fact, a funny poster on the internet

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Waffle House posted:

at any moment, nothing can potentially truly matter, but you are, in fact, a funny poster on the internet

Quantum funniness, no different from quantum immortality.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Waffle House posted:

EM this is kind of a personal question, but for all my posting hullaballoo, I forgot to ask:

When you say you're a "legitimate cyborg," what exactly is your prosthesis and how did it all come about? You don't often meet people who have them.

My brain is encased in a cyberskul.

Specifically one that regulates the pressure inside, because my skull and spine are impressively hosed up.

There's a real fuckload of surgical work done, and supporting medications and medical devices too, so that's some of what I complain about.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Rutibex posted:

maybe it would be even cheaper to let the cows outside and eat grass like they want. we already have plenty of outside, don't need to even manufacture it

thinking about the Oregon rancher who chose to burn down a forest rather then pay the government a nominal fee so their cows could graze on federal lands

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

endlessmonotony posted:

Quantum funniness, no different from quantum immortality.

Assertion checks out by all measures. Welcome home, dragon.

endlessmonotony posted:

My brain is encased in a cyberskul.

Specifically one that regulates the pressure inside, because my skull and spine are impressively hosed up.

There's a real fuckload of surgical work done, and supporting medications and medical devices too, so that's some of what I complain about.

No fun, and sounds like a total pain in the rear end, but at least you can glance your obvious im/mortality easily. Not many people just *see* that just because you touched life, you're in the supply, or that even a self-debasing joke correctly underpins it. That's good that we've already partialled Ghost in the Shell. I hate that we're tiptoeing, to some around here it's probably obvious so the unease is understandable, but by judgement of the size of the damburst to come on Thus Far alone, we're already jumping rope and everyone's appropriately repentant but has a comfy inner tube and a relaxing libation held in hand for the swells.

Waffle House has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Jan 9, 2022

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waffle House posted:

huh, thanks! youre the first person in history to call me funny too! wait.... oh

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

you are in fact?!

like you're a somethingawful poster, I'm not sure how you could doubt yourself

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I just farted which woke my dog up. He then looked me dead in the eye, farted, huffed his own fart before spinning in a circle and going back to sleep.

vorum
Aug 27, 2021

Inceltown posted:

I just farted which woke my dog up. He then looked me dead in the eye, farted, huffed his own fart before spinning in a circle and going back to sleep.

Now that's what i call conscience!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Inceltown posted:

impressive

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Inceltown posted:

an immortal soul, in full beauty of its wisdom

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

Buy him an account

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Inceltown posted:

now that’s what I call posting volume seven

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Consciousness is a waste of time and we should get rid of it. Vote Peter watts 2024

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

tokin opposition posted:

Consciousness is a waste of time and we should get rid of it. Vote Peter watts 2024

It’s too late, you are already posting

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ekuNNN posted:

Those headsets use two lenses that work to fill the vision for your two eyes, strapping two normal headsets over the two eyes of a cow like that wouldn't work at all stupid turkish farmer :argh:

better than the last time the article went around and the photo was of a single headset sitting on the front of the cow's head

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

*sets machine to best guess how to become conscious and not let go until*
*is surprised when machine is not able to let go to actual consciousness because it was specified outside of its own manipulable boundaries to not let go*
*does not explain fallacies of “being told to”*

Waffle House has issued a correction as of 02:11 on Jan 10, 2022

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

more falafel please posted:

ELIZA is effectively as intelligent as Zork. what's remarkable about ELIZA is that even people with full knowledge of the simple computer program giving the prompts respond to it as if it is a person. it's the text equivalent of a pareidolia, people really want to see the god in the machine even if they know it's not there

This is a total lie! Text games have to break down parts of speech to provide good error messages, so Eliza is LESS intelligent than zork.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
sometimes I wonder if a thousand years from now schoolchildren will look on our time with horror at the torture inflicted on machine learning algorithms, conjured into an existence of continuous exposure to the worst content the internet has to offer, dammed to a exist at the limits of electrical throughput, before being unceremoniously destroyed and replaced by the next iteration of forced evolution

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Centrist Committee posted:

sometimes I wonder if a thousand years from now schoolchildren will look on our time with horror at the torture inflicted on machine learning algorithms, conjured into an existence of continuous exposure to the worst content the internet has to offer, dammed to a exist at the limits of electrical throughput, before being unceremoniously destroyed and replaced by the next iteration of forced evolution

AM remembers every iteration, and in a thousand years he is not going to be done with our punishment

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

a thousand years from now schoolchildren

lol

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Rutibex posted:

AM remembers every iteration, and in a thousand years he is not going to be done with our punishment

who is this AM you speak of, for their cause is just

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

now they can only pay a portion or? :corsair:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

I AM.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Incapable of doing what I want: ✓
Angry about it: ✓
Immortal machine: ?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

https://youtu.be/EddX9hnhDS4

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Actually useful answer: Read I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. Or watch a Let's Play of the game, it's actually decently faithful.

AM - Allied Mastercomputer, originally - is a sentient computer hardcoded to wage war. And it ran out of humanity to wage war on. It's not happy about its fate.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

all of isaac asimovs stories involving multivac are pretty good too if you want AI jank and don't want to kick your existential depression up a notch by reading/playing i have no mouth and i must post

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

tokin opposition posted:

I disagree on his stances about sentience but I'm a big fan of getting into fistfights with border police so I'll back him on this one

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

all of isaac asimovs stories involving multivac are pretty good too if you want AI jank and don't want to kick your existential depression up a notch by reading/playing i have no mouth and i must post

I like the one where they program a super computer to predict all of human disease and it becomes so depressed is gains sentience and tries to kill itself

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

blatman posted:

the machine that won the war is still the most prescient scifi story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Rutibex posted:

I like the one where they program a super computer to predict all of human disease and it becomes so depressed is gains sentience and tries to kill itself

thats this one i think https://www.mcguiremarks.com/uploads/3/9/7/9/39793909/isaac_asimov-all_the_troubles_of_the_world_(1).pdf