Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

kalel posted:

also how is the plural of lowlife not "lowlives?" Did whoever designed the English language put this in specifically to grind my gears?

Multiple Inspectors General.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

kalel posted:

also how is the plural of lowlife not "lowlives?" Did whoever designed the English language put this in specifically to grind my gears?

lowslife

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

kalel posted:

owolifes :3:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for kicking out my sister after her kids found my secret room?

quote:

Sorry for the long post and any grammar mistakes, my hands are a little shaky from being frustrated.

Me (25F) and my husband (25) just recently finished building our dream home. When I say dream home I mean it. We have a stupid secret kink room that is hidden behind a wall. I’m embarrassed to write that but it’s really special to us.

I had a small house warming party with just my immediate family. My sister (31) and her 3 kids came and they wandered around the house unsupervised because I was cooking and frankly trust them enough to not do anything. They are 11f 7f and 5m. I’m really close with them and have a great relationship. They happened to find the room. I don’t even know if they fully understand what they saw but it was some “tools and equipment.” They came screaming down the hallway and insisted that everyone follow them to see what they found. I instantly said no but they were stubborn and said it was really cool which got people’s interest. I still don’t fully understand how, I keep trying to rack my brain around it. Our room is hidden very well. It’s in our library, I have floor to ceiling bookshelves and if you pull on the right piece it will swing out and you can walk through. Like seriously there was no reason for them to find it but I guess at the end of the day it’s my bad for letting them go around unsupervised.

My poor husband was absolutely mortified and my sister went to go look and a few people wanted to follow her, I tried to stop them but they kept telling me to stop acting weird. I gave up and just gave my husband an apologetic look. There stuff in there that involves pegging, and my husband isn’t comfortable with anyone knowing I’m the dominant one in the bedroom which is perfectly fine with me. My sister came out of the room and was laughing so hard she had tears coming down. I wasn’t too mad until she made a comment to my husband that was “You really are a pussy, I knew (my name) was the man in the relationship but wow.” And I absolutely lost it. I told her to leave immediately and take her kids and that she wouldn’t be welcomed back until she genuinely apologized and her kids apologized for not listening after I told them no to having people go see it. My sister stormed out with her family after calling me an “spoiled entitled bitch” which really hurt my feelings. My family is pretty split right now. My brother is disgusted she said that to my husband but my parents think I was being way controlling and that I shouldn’t have it if I don’t want people to see it. I argued that it’s not meant to be seen. I’m really concerned about my husband. He’s not mad at me at all but he doesn’t feel safe around my sister which I understand. I’m mostly frustrated that my parents are so mad at me that I banned her until she apologizes and want me to just get over it but I can’t get what she said to my husband out of my head. I maybe over reacted but I will not stand for anyone being rude to my husband. She is welcome back when she apologizes. I think I may have been too harsh.

Edit: I tried to stop the adults, I told them not to multiple times with my voice very stern. I grabbed my sister on the arm to stop her, I told the kids absolutely not and that they didn’t need to. I tried my hardest without getting physical and starting a screaming fight. My husbands already said I did what I could. I’m so guilty already for it.

Edit 2: My sister was the only one who went to see it, my parents really wanted to but after I said no multiple times they let it go. My sister was the only one. She went after everything. My brother had 0 desire to see the second I said no the first time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Propaniac posted:

AITA for not opening a Christmas Present?

There's something very small town about this, and that guy and everyone who thinks what he does is funny needs to be beaten over the head with one of his own presents.

Something to be said for parents who not only engage in recreational abuse of their children but encourage others to as well. Very little of it printable.

Mx. posted:

AITA for putting up pictures of spiders in my room to keep my arachnophobic cousins out?

Also another thing with parents who actively refuse to discipline their kids in any way and seem to think literally anything they get up to is 'cute'.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

What kind of idiot has a secret kink room and doesn't put a loving lock on it lol

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I gave up and just gave my husband an apologetic look.

I said no, and they said they don't care. And that was all I could do.

Was there a particular reason why the husband couldn't have gone ahead and hid the room away from the adults? Or is he submissive out of the bedroom too?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Lotta judgement itc considering they hid the fuckin thing behind a secret bookcase. Feels like that + "no" should have been enough and the sister is the complete rear end in a top hat here. Kids should probably learn no means no in someone else's house but they are kids and their mom apparently sucks as a person so what ya gonna do.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Lol at hiding a secret room behind a bookshelf that's accessed by pulling a random book and thinking kids won't find. That's literally the first thing they would look for.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not replacing delivery driver’s shoes?

quote:

This just happened a few hours ago and I’m still seething with anger. I ordered pizza for delivery for dinner from a local place, a place my family orders from often. I got 2 pizzas for my family and waited for delivery.

25 minutes later, I went to greet the delivery driver at the door. I have 4 dogs that are free to poop in the yard, so I have a sign that tells people to keep off the grass. Especially considering it’s been rainy and muddy the last few weeks, I never would have expected the delivery boy to walk through the grass. He did. Once he got to the door he began complaining that he stepped in dog poop and that his new shoes were ruined.

I looked at his shoes, and he indeed had dog poo poo on them. I shrugged and pointed to the sign that said to keep off the grass. I tried to hand him the cash and get the pizzas, but he refused. He told me I needed to pay for the shoes to be replaced as they were around $120. I laughed in his face.

Thinking he must’ve been joking, I brushed it off and once again tried to get the pizzas. He didn’t budge and told me that he was taking the pizzas back and would be back to get the money later.

I was angry with what happened, but I made alternate dinner plans and let him leave. He pulled in again and demanded payment for the shoes, and I once again declined. My husband came to the door as well, on my side. I wasn’t going to pay because the delivery driver was careless.

While I continued to argue with the driver, my husband called the pizza place and put them on speaker phone. He asked to speak to whoever was in charge and was informed that it was the owner on the line. My husband let him know about the situation, but to our surprise, he sided with the delivery driver.

“If you don’t pay my son for his replacement shoes, your address will be blacklisted from our restaurant.” The owner clearly was angry as well. My husband ended the call and we decided to just ignore them and not eat there anymore.

The driver clearly was not going to leave, after another hour and a half of arguing. I told him I would call the police if he didn’t leave our front door. Now he’s parked on the street, technically not our property, and sitting there. It’s been another hour. Police can’t remove him since it’s not our property, but I’m very uncomfortable. I told my family about the situation and my BIL told me I’m acting like a bitch. AITA for not paying?

EDIT: I haven’t cleaned up the dog poo due to the constant rain and it being extremely cold outside. I have a walkway that’s very large and lit up. The sign is lit up as well.

this was from 4 hours ago. OP confirmed 3 hours ago that the driver stayed out front for an hour and now keeps driving past

i can only assume smelling like dogshit the entire time

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I mean for a child I can't think of anything more exciting to find then a hidden room behind a bookcase. It's in practically every form of children's media as a way to hide a secret treasure room. A $5 lock solves all those problems.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
driver is an rear end in a top hat, but people who let their dogs into the yard and don't clean up after them are foul foul beasts indeed

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Security through obscurity never works.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

kdrudy posted:

Security through obscurity never works.

now there's a fun expression to embed inside my brain

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Grape posted:

"All American" is one of the most overt white supremacist ornaments that still sits around openly in Americana and I loving hate it.
Like "golly nothing is more American than blonde blue eyed northwestern protestant ancestry that really shines out!".
That's the red flag for me right there.

America is a white supremacist country, so while the phrase is bad, it's not inaccurate nor is it used in-aptly.
Non-white 2nd-generation Americans can have complex views about American identity, so I don't find that usage by a claimed adopted woman from Vietnam to be an unreasonable... subconscious acceptance of othering.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Mr. Lobe posted:

now there's a fun expression to embed inside my brain

You're an IT person now. Sorry you had to find out this way.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Sister is an rear end in a top hat but anyone who keeps an unlocked kink dungeon and has vanilla relatives over to visit (especially kids) is a fool who is asking for trouble.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Silly Newbie posted:

You're an IT person now. Sorry you had to find out this way.

well that sucks. can I at least have a "deece six figgies" for the trouble?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pentyne posted:

I mean for a child I can't think of anything more exciting to find then a hidden room behind a bookcase. It's in practically every form of children's media as a way to hide a secret treasure room. A $5 lock solves all those problems.

This. For a little while it was the greatest day of their young lives. And it will be again if they ever remember what they saw when they're old enough to understand it.

Or their mom explains why she still isn't speaking to their aunt and why she has funny nicknames for her BIL.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for decided to change my name when I get married, despite my father telling me not to? (28M)

quote:

I’m 28M. My fiancée is 27F. We bought a house built in the late 14th century last year.

This house is our dream. It’s big, old, definitely haunted 300x over, it comes with a ton of property and even more history. There are windows on the outside that don’t seem to match up with any rooms so we know there are more areas of the house we need to find, I could talk about this house for hours.

My fiancée and I have sunk our entire lives into this house. All of our money went into the purchase and restoration of it-luckily my fiancées job involves historical restoration so we have a good foot in the door, but even so, every free moment we have is put into this house, fixing things, modernizing things, and just in general trying to explore the entire house and grounds.

We’re getting married next summer (at the house!) and my future wife and I have been talking a lot about the whole last name thing. She said she’s never felt 100% comfortable with taking the husbands name, and I said I didn’t care at all if she chose not to. Then she brought up an interesting idea. She suggested that we both change our last names to the name of the house. We both know with the amount of money, time, labor, and love we’re putting into this home we want it to be a legacy home (to pass down to our children if they want it) so we know we will be living here at least until we die (and hopefully long after 😂). I loved the idea of both of us changing our names to the houses name. I’m not going to put it here, because a quick search will tell you exactly where I live, but let’s just says it’s “Andersall Manor”-it works as a last name as well.

Her and I both agreed to this, but when it came time to tell my family my plans, my father got upset, since this means the family name on our side will end with him, since I’m his only son. It’s not like our name is a particularly unique one, and there are some distant male cousins and I’m sure some of them will have children so it’s not like the name will be gone forever. L I’m not entirely sure why he’s getting upset over this, since he’s never been much of a “family lineage” guy until apparently now. My mom says I’m being an AH, and says I’m causing problems for no reason, and that she thinks my fiancée and I should both keep our names (with the implication our kids will take my last name.)

Seems a bit early for a reboot of the UK Ghosts, but this is definitely a pitch meeting right?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

That secret kink room op's family loving sucks. From the comments.

"My husband and I discussed it and we think my sister and mom would have physically moved me if I tried to block the entrance. I grabbed my sister at one point and told her absolutely not and she shoved me off of her. She was getting in there one way or another."

"You are misinformed about quite a lot of stuff, firstly my husband doesn’t not trust me, he’s my best friend and we’ve communicated through all of this, he was the one who told me to write my post. It’s not my job to watch the kids, it’s my sisters, I was cooking an entire dinner for my family and on top of that talking to my brother I haven’t seen in years. It’s not my job to be with the kids while I cook for everyone. My family is very sensitive and when I raise my voice or put my foot down they cause problems for months, husband knows this and we’ve been working on it. He is active in all my choices. I didn’t side with my family, I’m not sure where in the world you got that part. I didn’t side with them once, I kicked out my sister and the only reason I think I’m the rear end in a top hat is because I kicked her out immediately after the comment without another word. My husband was the one who said he wanted to try again, do not approach me with such aggression when you do not understand where me and my husband sit. He wants to make sure the family doesn’t fall apart. Next my family won’t make comments to him, it’s only ever been my sister. My parents love him, they are upset with him they just don’t like I threw my sister out. You have no idea how o went about saying no, I was aggressive I said no. Something that took a lot from me. My husband understood complete and there was no turning back. I tried. I pulled on my sisters arm and told the kids I didn’t want them to see in a stern voice. I tried. How dare you try to shame me, I have accepted every YTA and ESH comment but I refuse to accept one that’s so blatantly wrong. My husband loves me and our relationship, he isn’t mad at me and we’ve now been laughing together."

Bolding is mine.

She also mentions being shy, sensitive, and a general push over outside the bedroom. Gee, I wonder how she learned this behavior. Apparently her husband's family is well off, so maybe she can adopt into their family and ditch this lousy bio one.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hughlander posted:

AITA for decided to change my name when I get married, despite my father telling me not to? (28M)

Seems a bit early for a reboot of the UK Ghosts, but this is definitely a pitch meeting right?

Oh I love this. "How dare you let the ancient and noble last name of Smith die out!"

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

limp_cheese posted:

I want to have updates to what she escalates to. I'm imagining the recipe calls for a pinch of salt and she just dumps in a few cups worth while saying "oops". She is told to cook rice but uses water and mayo. Just the bizarre crimes against humanity she makes to get out of cooking.

Who knows, maybe she'll find something wonderful like the proverbial monkey on a typewriter.

After a bunch of nagging I finally got my roommate to agree to help cook. He claims that he actually had cooked 'all the time' in his past (I had my doubts). I asked him to saute the onions in a pan and I even placed the olive oil next to the onions and the pan. I go outside to man the grill and when I come back he just has entire onions with the skins on sitting in a swimming pool worth of hot oil. He wins. I cooked from then on.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

mind the walrus posted:

lmfao like yeah you should have played it but to be real-- that's a super dumb and insane thing to do to ask someone out.

Yeah we were clearly 'compatible' in that we were both hopeless idiots that did not know how to functionally cause a relationship, and instead spent two years totally single in the hopes that the other person would make it happen somehow without actually speaking about our (retrospectively obvious) infatuation for each other. Props to her for pulling the trigger, but goddamn she dodged a bullet because I just as easily could have left it sitting on a shelf somewhere. For what it's worth this was pre-social media so we were all probably a lot more ignorant of how stuff can spread on the internet back then.

I got involved in the highschool theater production that year and some of the kids were shocked to find out I wasn't actually gay, and it wasn't until I found the CD that it finally hit me that me telling her "Thanks, but [nude girls] are not really my thing' probably landed a lot differently than I expected as it spread through her friend group.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Hughlander posted:

There's a us version on CBS (I think). They changed a couple of the characters and the first few episodes are pretty much word for word but it's still a decent watch.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Gods, this reminds me of a time in highschool.

her friends that she had a crush on me for ages and this was her final last effort to get through to my dense idiot teenage brain, and even still I totally missed it. Even now 20 years later I still sometimes cringe thinking of how much of a moron I was (am).

You're not a moron, she was just a loving creep. Like imagine a guy trying to get a girl to go out with him... By sending her dick pics. Instead of, you know... ASKING THEM ON A DATE.

What the hell is with these women that are more comfortable sending nudes then just saying "Hey wanna go see a movie together, maybe grab dinner after?"

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

I nuked my engagement when my fiancee asked for a short term open relationship

quote:

And I have informed my parents and asked them to tell her parents too. Of course I didnt tell them the reason, I just told them that I no longer want to go ahead with my engagement. Fortunately they have not pressed the issue. Also I have her blocked on everything but her best friend reached out to me a few days ago and said that my ex has been inconsolable and distraught following our breakup and wants to speak to me once.

Anyways, the reason she asked was that we will be staying in different countries for the next 6 months at least, possibly a year. Its for a project I am currently working on. So she said that it would make sense to have an open relationship during this period, strictly hookups though and we will go monogamous once we are together. I asked her if she really wants to do this, she said yes but only with my consent. Otherwise she wont go ahead with it. I thanked her for her honesty, told her that our relationship is no longer viable and then broke off our engagement. Just the fact that she is open to it is a dealbreaker for me. I am a strictly one woman man and I want that in my partner too, otherwise I will be happily single.

My friends have been supportive of my decision but a few say I might have jumped the gun. Did I? For me it was a huge incompatibility. Yes we loved each other a lot but compatibility is non negotiable for a long lasting relationship. Its been 2 weeks now and her friend has asked me multiple times to meet with my ex at least once. Her parents called my parents once and told them that she hardly comes out of her room and is sad all the time. I on the other hand, am surprisingly ok following the breakup.

Do I meet her once or just let it be and move on to the next chapter in my life?

I like the energy on this one. Just like "Well. Ok, bye."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Miserable Maid posted:

It's nice that Pete continues to thrive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Miserable Maid posted:

You're not a moron, she was just a loving creep. Like imagine a guy trying to get a girl to go out with him... By sending her dick pics. Instead of, you know... ASKING THEM ON A DATE.

What the hell is with these women that are more comfortable sending nudes then just saying "Hey wanna go see a movie together, maybe grab dinner after?"

It feels only very recently that it wasn't normal go be all 'He should pick up on your subtle hints' with relationship advice and I think it was presumed that only sluts and/or insane women will actually actively pursue and ask out men. Especially with teenage girls. I remember that Phineas and Ferb episode of all things where Candace disguises as a boy and is absolutely shocked that boys actually communicate straightforwardly with each other, which felt outdated, but...

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Fil5000 posted:

I really wouldn't call this guy a Pete based on the rest of his comments.

This was a bullet dodged, but not for the dude.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Fil5000 posted:

Reddit never changes though. They're climbing over each other to call her a slut.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

What kind of idiot has a secret kink room and doesn't put a loving lock on it lol

She overestimated the difficulty of her resident evil 2 puzzle

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Miserable Maid posted:

There's zero chance that this is exactly how it all went down but I respect the presentation

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

Party Ape posted:

Reddit never changes though. They're climbing over each other to call her a slut.

Are they? All I saw were people saying that there was a guy she had in mind (which there probably was, there always is when people ask)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Miserable Maid posted:

I can’t imagine it because it’s just something a guy would never do.

Who are these women indeed.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Late 14th century?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Late 14th century?

Usually means that there is evidence or extant pieces of an original building from the late 14th that has been extended on or built up over time.

Whenever they get listed it's for things like 'an original doorframe in stone bears a date mark of 1370, with stonework in the original configuration of the house, renovated in the 1800's in the Georgian style' or something like that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Miserable Maid posted:

Lmao I don't care what you want to infer about OP, people who ask for open relationships "out of the blue" are the dumbest, most selfish motherfuckers on the Earth. They deserve to end up in a toxic gently caress-circle instead of forcing anyone else to handle their bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Lmao I don't care what you want to infer about OP, people who ask for open relationships "out of the blue" are the dumbest, most selfish motherfuckers on the Earth. They deserve to end up in a toxic gently caress-circle instead of forcing anyone else to handle their bullshit.

is that what happened here