Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My bedroom door knobs can be unlocked by a coin or paper clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Anyone send their kids to school last week? Did the schools melt down? We were out all week due to snow.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
still virtual here

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Dreylad posted:

just tried out babby in the carrier, she loves it and fell asleep and i have both hands free. im so free. my posting powers are restored.

I had a child who did not sleep well, some of my fondest memories are her sleeping on me after carrying her and singing for an hour, and playing Subnautica

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my kids unlocked Shulk in smash bros and they have spent the last ten minutes just cackling at the costume variant where he's in his underpants.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Anyone send their kids to school last week? Did the schools melt down? We were out all week due to snow.

We kept ours home by saying he had a cough and that we'd like to just wait the 10 days instead of getting tested. I figure that there's no way schools will be open anyways in a week so we're just being fashionably early.

...and thanks to loving Gavin Newsom it's illegal for them to do remote learning so they'll just have to completely close.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Today is the day of the year my phone's camera roll reminds me that we gave my son peanut butter and then he spent two days in the hospital because we didn't yet know about all of his severe allergies (just some).

Good tiiiiiimez.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

you know your a dumb idiot parent when even your baby’s emerging molars are freakin adorable

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

So we are biting now, with teeth

Fun

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Today is the day of the year my phone's camera roll reminds me that we gave my son peanut butter and then he spent two days in the hospital because we didn't yet know about all of his severe allergies (just some).

Good tiiiiiimez.

How old was he when this happened?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Good tiiiiiimez.

we have our son’s first time eating eggs on video.

in that same video is his first allergic reaction to eggs, punctuated by my wife saying “uh-oh”

epipen lyfe :11tea:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Good tiiiiiimez.

Thanks Google.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Phone cameras weren't really a thing when my son was young enough to be cute

But at least now I get to live vicariously through his being the best soccer player on his indoor team like it was in any way my accomplishment

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Another Bill posted:

We went out to dinner X number of years ago and got a call at the mid-meal from our babysitters mother that she had locked herself out of our house with our kids still inside and awake.

Luckily we were local and able to be home in less than 10 minutes but holy poo poo I was mad. They're family friends so we took a 'no harm no foul' position (she was just a teenager herself) but it really hosed up my feelings about getting a babysitter for a while.

Parenting is fun!

I got locked out along with my kids by a kid I was babysitting. He did it on purpose to be a little poo poo, slipped inside while we were playing in the yard, locked the front and back doors and sat in the house taunting us, but forgot an unlocked window so I was able to clamber in. Needless to say we did not offer to watch him ever again.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Struensee posted:

How old was he when this happened?

this was around when he was 2. we had already identified his intolerance of rice and oats (not an allergy but if he ate oat or rice cereal he would throw up uncontrollably then pass out) so we were meticulously ruling things out and only introducing new single ingredients a week at a time.

then one week we gave him a small spoonful of peanut butter and 10 minutes later his entire neck was swollen and covered in red splotches.

the paramedics were like "okay so his cheeks look swollen too. is that normal?"

and we were like "oh yeah his cheeks are dummy thicc that's normal."

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

this was around when he was 2. we had already identified his intolerance of rice and oats (not an allergy but if he ate oat or rice cereal he would throw up uncontrollably then pass out) so we were meticulously ruling things out and only introducing new single ingredients a week at a time.

then one week we gave him a small spoonful of peanut butter and 10 minutes later his entire neck was swollen and covered in red splotches.

the paramedics were like "okay so his cheeks look swollen too. is that normal?"

and we were like "oh yeah his cheeks are dummy thicc that's normal."

First time we found out my son was allergic to tomatoes he was like 2 or something and we gave him some cherry tomatoes to much on. The streaks the juice left on his chin didn't wipe off and in reality were like a straight up rash wherever it touched

he went to a goose park and rubbed his eye and his eye swole shut. At 4 years old that's a tad traumatic for a kid.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

we were doing pretty good about introducing new foods meticulously but then covid happened and we just stopped entirely because we couldn't risk having to take him to a hospital (he has asthma).

so now he basically eats graham crackers with sunbutter on them exclusively. probably not great but whatever.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

even if you do all the introducing early there’s a point where they just refuse to eat like anything anyway.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Three year old is stewing in a time out by pensively staring out the window and repeatedly hitting the button on an M&M "toy." Said toy's battery is dying so the soundtrack is distorted rendition of the opening measures of the dance of the sugarplum fairies.

I may already be dead

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

that sounds both spooky AND formative. lifetime memory for both of you right there.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
nearly 2 months. near constant cluster feeding. but also heart-melting smiles. but also inconsolable crying.

im just living with her in the baby carrier right now just so she gets some sleep at this point

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I used to just fall asleep on my back on the floor samurai style next to the crib when our second was a baby because she was always throwing up and had stomach aches and would need readjusting multiple times throughout a night.

I was so tired, working through the days, and I’ve never ever felt so comfortable as I did lying there on the floor, staring up at the ceiling in a moment of absolute silence

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah I often take the graveyard shift (2-6 am) so my wife can sleep and recover from an 8 hour cluster feed that seems to be normal right now and im so goddamn tired but the baby is so peaceful you find a kind of serenity

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Dreylad posted:

nearly 2 months. near constant cluster feeding. but also heart-melting smiles. but also inconsolable crying.

im just living with her in the baby carrier right now just so she gets some sleep at this point

It gets way better, and pretty quickly. I hated the newborn stage and had to go to therapy to deal with it!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

camoseven posted:

It gets way better, and pretty quickly. I hated the newborn stage and had to go to therapy to deal with it!

that sucks, im sorry you had such a rough go. I suspect we don't have it any worse than anyone else, just our own little unique problems to tackle. the smiles in the morning really do help erase any bad vibes.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Little Soup is addicted to faceplanting at daycare, SLOW DOWN HOMIE STOP TRYING TO RUN

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Good soup! posted:

Little Soup is addicted to faceplanting at daycare, SLOW DOWN HOMIE STOP TRYING TO RUN

on purpose?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My 18mo wants very badly to jump. He just crouches down and flings himself up as hard as he can, over and over. Wants it so bad he can taste it.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

camoseven posted:

I feel the same, my wife's definitely taking it way better than I am. No more kids for me. Back when we had our first, I was helping my wife's friend move a piano and he said "Sometimes you just want to throw them through the window." Helped me through the first year or so, and just recognize when to take some breaks and just breathe a couple of times. Not that we've had it any worse than anyone else. Just harder for me to deal.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Join a Facebook group so you can share parenting memes.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Struensee posted:

"Sometimes you just want to throw them through the window."

This is me, right now, this morning. Just suck the drat nipple! Don't chew on it, it doesn't work that way!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
"This, too, shall pass," I say, speaking directly into my son's sphincter.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
My wife bonded with our kid almost instantly and I didn't for like, two and a half months? Basically whenever I could get her to smile at my antics was when I flipped over.

I distinctly remember when I switched from "if there was a fire it is my duty to go through it if she is on the other side" to "I would unthinkingly go through anything for her" hard to explain better than that.

Infants! They kinda suck!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

parental hormones are a hell of a drug cocktail! i came into the family when the kids were 8 and 11 and one of my biggest unstated fears once dating their mom got serious was that i wouldn’t get them, or wouldn’t get the full spectrum, because of incoherent fear reasons

nope! it works that way too, my nurturing instincts kicked in faster than a bunch of folks with their natural-born kids.

for which they all have my empathy; the first several days were A Lot to get up to speed with and they could both already walk and talk and dress themselves

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

CloFan posted:

This is me, right now, this morning. Just suck the drat nipple! Don't chew on it, it doesn't work that way!

if it helps at all, nipple shields saved my wife's breastfeeding life, basically.

baby didn't want to do anything but chew. monster.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Insanite posted:

if it helps at all, nipple shields saved my wife's breastfeeding life, basically.

baby didn't want to do anything but chew. monster.

Seconding nipple shields, although they were how my wife finally got the babby to latch. Eventually with time she started latching without. Super helpful tool.

And yeah I've definitely felt the frustration, lack of sleep and lack of experience of what to do in any given moment and feeling helpless really compounds the feelings. Either putting her down and taking a few deep breaths or not being stubborn and getting my wife to take over have been important parts of coping. And I'm finding that with experience comes deeper reservoirs of patience.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’m gonna have to keep a closer eye on my kid…

told her today is a holiday and who MLK was and why he was killed,etc

she wanted to see the footage and told her there isn’t any of him dying and I’m not going to show you anyway

so then she’s like well let’s make a video and you can be him, had to show her a picture of him to illustrate that I will not be in black face for my 5 year olds reenactment of this event. her reasoning was since they’re wasn’t footage we should make one to educate people why it’s bad…

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Sounds like an opportunity to introduce her to the pedagogical tradition of 10-minute youtube explainers! I look forward to the "why killing MLK Jr was bad, actually" video

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Don't tell her about JFK Reloaded lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

My 7 year old is confused about racism. She gets that it's really bad but calls anyone being mean a racist. We've corrected her a few times now but it's becoming a thing. We're working on it...