Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Begemot posted:

I was cleaning out my chocobo saddlebags and found this:

Guess I'll keep it as a memento :allears:

I kinda wonder how many placeholder dummy items like this there are in the game now. Stuff like mainstat/elemental resistance materia or old Rowena upgrade tokens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I remember going to the calamity salvager recently, hosed around checking out old reclaim/exchange stuff, and… were glam prisms really specific to what DoH class was associated with whatever the slot was?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Regalingualius posted:

I remember going to the calamity salvager recently, hosed around checking out old reclaim/exchange stuff, and… were glam prisms really specific to what DoH class was associated with whatever the slot was?

yes

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

And limited to specific spreads of ten levels of items, yes. :shepicide:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
also in 2.0 and 2.1, there was one piece of gear that was repaired with culinarian* which they changed to alchemist to avoid the lunacy of having culinarian glamour prisms

*it was the halloween pumpkin head

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Shout out to whoever mentioned EW daily hints gave good experience. Much nicer than grinding roulette only.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Chillgamesh posted:

I kinda wonder how many placeholder dummy items like this there are in the game now. Stuff like mainstat/elemental resistance materia or old Rowena upgrade tokens

I still got my rank 5 dark matter and 1 of whatever resistant materias I happened to have.

E: Oh and my Lightning event stuff from way back when.

Leal fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 10, 2022

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

they go back and update the description text of old all saints wake items. maybe others too, but these always stick out in my mind.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

I had an old alt from ARR release on an NA datacentre who was loaded with mainstat materia and what I think was PVP materia. I could swear I sold em for a bunch of gil during ShB but now I noticed those don't even show up on the market board, bit sad.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/xiv_stats/status/1480322053345464324?t=HzwqqoNcCa6HVeHDXcsmgw&s=19

Limit Cut and the Channeling Flows spotted lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gently caress that's cool

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How do you scrape that data....

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How do you scrape that data....

Pretty easily — it’s all in the combat logs. FFLogs can already show you a timeline of everything that happens in a fight down to instances of ability use, incoming damage, etc. Just take that and graph it.

Edit to clarify that I don’t mean making this was easy. Just that it’s using accessible data and there’s precedent for detailed processing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
do the logs really include x/y coordinates for players

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

do the logs really include x/y coordinates for players

All I can say for certain is FFlogs definitely has the positions for players at any given time, as you can watch replays of given fights on FFlogs. It's one of the buttons on the top-right.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Frida Call Me posted:

yeah they're double-pulling but not wall-pulling. i'm pretty sure warriors can wall pull in endwalker experts solo.

edit: they also melded tenacity specifically for this video, and i very much doubt any of the warriors in endwalker experts are melding tenacity.

Late but WAR isn’t melding tenacity for this video, they’re doing it because DH is not good for WAR and you should meld SOMETHING. I have some tenacity in my gear for this reason.

That being said the heal was better in ShB, it’s just that it took pressing two buttons instead of one (and not wasting Infuriate on CD) so it was beyond the reach of many players. EW self heal is brain dead.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I've been defensive of dark knight in this thread, but I ran into a situation tonight where any other tank probably would've been better.

I ran Tower of Zot as a monk, just wanted to get over the finish line to 84. The tank was an 83 DRK, other DPS was a synced RPR, and the healer was an 83 WHM. The healer had just started healing again and said he was rusty... we wiped to the first trash pull, the first boss two times, the second boss once, and the last boss three times before I left. After a couple incidents where the tank and healer died, leaving me to tank with breath of earth, they started single pulling. At one point the tank advised the healer to use lucid dreaming, and to stop using cure 3 so much.

I know the final boss is hectic, but the healer couldn't survive past 75% of it's HP, the first big AOE phase. I felt bad for leaving but it was just unbearable :negative:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If the WHM was spamming cure 3 like a maniac I'm not sure if any other tank other than maybe PLD could pick up the slack.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Begemot posted:

I've been defensive of dark knight in this thread, but I ran into a situation tonight where any other tank probably would've been better.

I ran Tower of Zot as a monk, just wanted to get over the finish line to 84. The tank was an 83 DRK, other DPS was a synced RPR, and the healer was an 83 WHM. The healer had just started healing again and said he was rusty... we wiped to the first trash pull, the first boss two times, the second boss once, and the last boss three times before I left. After a couple incidents where the tank and healer died, leaving me to tank with breath of earth, they started single pulling. At one point the tank advised the healer to use lucid dreaming, and to stop using cure 3 so much.

I know the final boss is hectic, but the healer couldn't survive past 75% of it's HP, the first big AOE phase. I felt bad for leaving but it was just unbearable :negative:

When your healer is that bad you’d definitely be better off with a WAR + three DPS.

(I ran the level 90 MSQ dungeon on WAR with a full group of friends and for most of the wall pulls our SGE just stopped healing me. I still had Kardia so I was getting some healing, but most of the pulls didn’t even feel spicy. And I’m not particularly good at WAR and I’m only 565.)

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
funny, i also had a terrible 81 dungeon with a WHM than only used cure III. they'd go OOM on single pulls immediately and didn't use lucid, either.

i tried to teach them how to play the class and they took absolutely none of my advice and quit the dungeon in shame between the first and second bosses.

they were both probably boosters. there's no way you can get to 81 as a white mage exclusively healing with cure III unless no one took you aside to teach you better on the way there.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I have noticed among acquaintances that a lot of people new to healing will spam the big spells when they get them like Cure III and Aspected Helios on the single people that need healing.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i am 100% confident anyone can get to level 81 without having a god drat clue how to play the game

source: i regularly engage in duty finder content

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Kaubocks posted:

i am 100% confident anyone can get to level 81 without having a god drat clue how to play the game

source: i regularly engage in duty finder content

right i don't doubt the ability for someone to level to 81 without knowing how to play, i doubt the ability for anyone to level to 81 without having helpful advice offered to them when they're clearly playing extremely poorly.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Frida Call Me posted:

right i don't doubt the ability for someone to level to 81 without knowing how to play, i doubt the ability for anyone to level to 81 without having helpful advice offered to them when they're clearly playing extremely poorly.

yoship is a fraud. willing to 1v1 him.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Frida Call Me posted:

in final fantasy, irl, w/e. i dont give a hoot.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Frida Call Me posted:

past a certain point (most tanks getting their heal/sustain abilities) a single party member being completely unable to perform their job, short of the tank repeatedly wall-pulling and falling over dead three seconds later, is irrelevant. the game is tuned for normal content be completable by a tank with their stance off, a healer fishing for free- procs, and dps hitting their 1 button every seven seconds. the vast majority of pubbie party interactions consists of "o/" and "gg". nearly every time i've had someone completely loving up to the point that progression wasn't possible (which is pretty rare, given that the bar is six feet underground) the response from the other party members has been to silently (or not so silently) drop out

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Frida Call Me posted:

no shirt, just bare knuckles. if he thinks he has what it takes he is sorely mistaken LOL

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Oneiros posted:

past a certain point (most tanks getting their heal/sustain abilities) a single party member being completely unable to perform their job, short of the tank repeatedly wall-pulling and falling over dead three seconds later, is irrelevant. the game is tuned for normal content be completable by a tank with their stance off, a healer fishing for free- procs, and dps hitting their 1 button every seven seconds. the vast majority of pubbie party interactions consists of "o/" and "gg". nearly every time i've had someone completely loving up to the point that progression wasn't possible (which is pretty rare, given that the bar is six feet underground) the response from the other party members has been to silently (or not so silently) drop out

that point is like keeper of the lake, ARR content. if you have a healer that cannot play their class you will not beat the last boss, straight up. i know from experience, i've had to abandon that content or had it time out on me 3 times.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Frida Call Me posted:

that point is like keeper of the lake, ARR content. if you have a healer that cannot play their class you will not beat the last boss, straight up. i know from experience, i've had to abandon that content or had it time out on me 3 times.

not being able to play the game may cause you to wipe. many such cases!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

it’s not often worth the effort to try and teach someone to play better mid instance unless they ask. i used to try to bring that helpful attitude through mentor roulette, but just because i have taken it upon myself to want to help people get better, at no point did they opt in to being taught.

the best case scenario is they take the advice to mind and start trying to do better. middling case is they completely ignore you because they didn’t ask and keep playing poorly. worst case is they argue with you about how you’re wrong. odds are skewed towards me having a bad time.

i shouldn’t have to teach someone not to spam medica ii in a level 90 trash pull but here i am. if i get an instance where someone rightfully should be doing better than they are,

Kaubocks posted:

if i'm not having a good time in final fantasy fourteen online i simply open the duty window and press Leave

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Slider posted:

not being able to play the game may cause you to wipe. many such cases!

are you okay?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sometimes I will panic and hit Aspected Helios a bunch in raids because I know it will do something and I don't have to properly Target amyone

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Frida Call Me posted:

are you okay?

no im broken

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I honestly do need to like have better targeting keys set up, I always just either tab target and never get to what I want until 5 presses or I just click on the nameplate lol

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

also i have like one brain cell to work with and it's pretty taxed dealing with the heavy burden of remembering how many times to press the BIG SWORDS SLAM DOWN button depending on what level i'm synched to so trying to diagnose others' bad play beyond "standing in bad" and "not pressing buttons" in the heat of the moment is...difficult

hell i've run thru dungeons with kardia off/on the wrong target and no one said a loving thing, even other goons

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

sometimes i dont recit + excog the tank... just to prove their mettle. some may see this as hostility.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I was in a P4N with a WAR MT who said "don't single target heal me and let's see what happens", easy clear

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i've heard people have been running the current extremes without healers at all :v:

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Tainen posted:

Did they ever explain how the unsundered Ascians escaped the sundering?
My theory is that Venat purposefully did not sunder them as she knew they were vital for the WoL quest.
But then again sundering them would have removed the threat of ascians trying to revive Zodiark, which would have been a way better solution, so maybe my theory is flawed :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Kaubocks posted:

it’s not often worth the effort to try and teach someone to play better mid instance unless they ask. i used to try to bring that helpful attitude through mentor roulette, but just because i have taken it upon myself to want to help people get better, at no point did they opt in to being taught.

the best case scenario is they take the advice to mind and start trying to do better. middling case is they completely ignore you because they didn’t ask and keep playing poorly. worst case is they argue with you about how you’re wrong. odds are skewed towards me having a bad time.

i shouldn’t have to teach someone not to spam medica ii in a level 90 trash pull but here i am. if i get an instance where someone rightfully should be doing better than they are,

yeah, i start offering advice when we're clearly at a point where someone needs to do better or we have no chance of succeeding. for example i have a set of 6 macros for calling out 89 trial mechanics with sound effects (normal, not extreme) because i've seen it time out twice. i'd like to try before i abandon though.